Deus Ex Machina

Episode Reviews (46)

Superb

Awesome.

By Sarah_LOST, Oct 12, 2010

Locke discovers that he is losing sensation in his legs. Locke and Boone find a Beechcraft 18 teetering on the edge of a cliff. Boone climbs up and, using the radio, sends out a distress call, "We are the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815," to which a man responds "We're the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815." The plane falls and Locke carries a critically injured Boone back to the camp. Locke arrives at the caves with Boone and lies about how Boone got hurt. Locke disappears into the jungle. Pounding on the hatch and screaming in anguish, the inside of the hatch suddenly becomes illuminated. In flashbacks, Locke meets his parents and his father cons him out of a kidney. I love this episode, I mean it's so amazing. I was scared when Locke had the dream, weird stuff. Everything was amazing in this episode. I love the storyline with Boone but i wish it wasn't him - he is such/was a awesome character!moreless

The Island Demands That you see This Episode!!!!

By Dante_Edy, May 31, 2010

Now I understand why this show name is Lost. it is not only because the survivors are lost , it is because the audience also feels "lost" with so many mysteries about the island.

Since our survivors really don´t know what his happening and we follow their pont of view, there is no way you don´t feel "lost" with so many strange episodes.

The hatch is another mystery that is supposed only to be solved in season 2, even if you know what is there, there will be some mystery added with it, that will remain a secret, until the producers feel the need to reveal something to you.

This is a Locke centric episode. But what we need to know about Locke that we already know? It is all about his faith.

Locke flashbacks can be considered normal, but like "Lost Style", not everything you see is real, there are always something more, and this episode is not an exception. The final Scenes in the flashbacks is so powerful, that even if you did not care or did not like the content, you will like it, and give you the sensation that this flashback was worth watching.

This is the same sensation that Locke event in the Island gave you. Locke had a strange dream, like the Island tell him to do something and of course, the audience is curious to know what that dream meant. Even that answer is unclear, but maybe the Island demanded a sacrifice.

Curiosity apart, that are 2/3 things in the End that make this episode even more worth watching. Another airplane full of drugs, Boone fall is unexpected, also locke was losing is ability to walk, like the island do that to save him and that allowed boone to get into the plane.

More strange is the communication that boone made, out there they think that the people of the oceanic 815 are all dead, how this is possible, only time will time.

But this episode does even more. There will be consequences for locke, since he lied. Also the ending was powerfull, with the final scenes of the flashback, with locke sad and frustated, the same thing in the island, then the Hatch.......moreless

A Locke-centric episode.

By Writer2000, Apr 28, 2010

Let me just start out by saying that up until now Locke has been my least favorite character on the show, and Locke still is my least favorite character, but after seeing this episode, I have to say that I do like the character Locke a little bit more now. Locke sure is a very interesting character, and he definite has a very interesting background story. Boone has a very interesting back story too. The flash backs of Locke's life before the plane crashed on the island were great. I also really liked Boone's involvement with Locke's story line. Sawyer's story line was also very interesting to me as well. In closing, as a whole, I thought that this was another very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost, and I can't wait to continue watching my Lost: season one DVD set.moreless

The Twist for this one does come out of the heavens

By DavidB226Morris, Mar 29, 2009

When this episode first aired, it was recognized as one of the strongest and most critical episodes of the season. Four years later, it is equally true that this episode was important probably in relationship to one character in particularly, and perhaps the series. Naturally, it involves the island's disciple Locke, and because of that I will be going over 'Deus ex Machina, with a fine-tooth comb.

Locke has revealed in previous episodes that he was raised by foster families and that his father was not a good man. We have no idea how much he's understating that. The episode begins, however, with a flashback to when Locke met his mother Emily. We don't see much of her and she seems a bit spacey, which is why a lot of people probably dismissed her talk about his being part of a larger plan, and that he was immaculately conceived. Now we later learn she suffers from a form of schizophrenia, and has been in and out of institutions. However, considering the plane crash, and the fact that a huge amount of Locke's activities are critical to the island, I can't help but wonder if maybe there's something to it. Was the island guiding his mother even then?

This later leads to Locke tracking down his birth father, Anthony Cooper. Let me raise the question, what proof to we have that Cooper was Locke's father? For one thing, there's the fact that in the life of the 'real' John Locke, there was a man named Anthony Cooper who Locke as a physician helped save his life. Since the writers of this show do not choose these names by chance, maybe they're trying to send the viewer a subtle message. By the time this episode's flashbacks are over, we learn that Cooper was a con man. Is it possible that he used Locke's mother as part of a larger con in believe that he was never his actual father at all, but merely played upon his desperation like he did on so many other people? (On pure casting choice, I have a problem with it as well. Kevin Tighe and Swoozie Kurtz are both incredible actor, but unless the flashbacks in Locke's life have gone back really far--- all right, I'll concede the hair---- neither is really old enough to be playing his parents. This might just be do the casting directors part as well, but I'm still opposed to it) Basically, he would have been a lot better off if he'd just followed the detectives advice and left him alone, but Locke is desperate for any kind of love That is why he worships Cooper so much, it's why he will never be truly able to get Cooper out of his head, and will eventually send him on the path to the island.

There's also a critical point when Cooper asks Locke if he is a hunter. At the time of this episode, he's working at a toy store, and clearly doesn't seem as well textured as before. We get the feeling he only becomes a hunter because his father wants him to be. It will be several years before we learn that despite Locke's militarist behavior on the island, it was a while before he accepted that part of his nature.

On the island, Locke has reached a critical point as well. For two weeks, he and Boone have been trying to get inside the hatch, but haven't been able to find a way in. Boone is starting to lose his faith, and it's pretty clear Locke is, too. To test his faith still more, the miracle made him the island disciple--- the restoration of his legs--- is beginning to disappear as well. He is beginning to make demands of the island, and the island sends him a sign.

Oh, does he get one. After having a prophetic dream involving himself and Boone in which he sees a Beechcraft airplane fly through the sky, they walk through the woods to an increasingly stranger series of things. For starters, there is the skeleton of a priest, armed with a wad of cash--- which Locke identifies as Nigerian--- and a gun. Eventually, the body leads them to a crashed plane, perched precariously in a tree. Locke tells Boone to climb in, and search it, mainly because he can't walk, but also because he has some idea of what's going to come next.

We still don't know how this plane got there, but next season we'll learn where it came from, and who was on it. Boone, however, finds out that the plane was carrying ceramic Virgin Mary's with heroin in them He is about to dismiss this entirely, when he finds that the radio is still working. He tries to send out a message and seems to reach someone. However, if we listen carefully to the transmission, when Boone says that they're the survivors of Flight Oceanic 815, the response is: "We're the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815" This has also sorts of implications, but before anyone can think of it, the plane does what you knew was going to happen, and plunges off the cliff--- leaving Boone horribly, perhaps mortally wounded.

Locke does his part in getting Boone back to Jack, but he doesn't stay around . Instead, he heads back to the hatch, claiming that "I've done everything you asked! To the island. Then a light goes on in the hatch.

This simple gesture has not yet been explained. Near the end of season 2, we will get one rather mundane explanation as to how it happened. However, did someone from inside the hatch simply flick a switch? Or was it the answer that Locke was looking for? When his faith is tested again, Locke will switch to the former possibility and he will have a good reason to do so, and there is the possibility that someone was watching him, toying with his head, and decided to do this for just that reason. The answers are still fuzzy, but this question will finally be answered this season (so says TV Guide).

The writers recognize that this is crucial and devote the majority of the episode to Locke. However, simultaneously Sawyer is now suffering from increasingly worse headaches, which are making him even less likable (if such a thing were possible) Jack is probably reluctant to do anything to help him, and sure as hell enjoys toying with him (the questions he asks Sawyer and his reactions are hysterical) before finally telling him that he is far-sighted, which is exactly what he is. He is so focused on the future (when he can finally get revenge on the real Sawyer) that he is completely unable to enjoy life. Ironically, it is because of Locke and the island, he will get that chance, but even then his far-sightedness will not help him get past it.

The end of the episode is so shocking that the writers don't start to play with it until the next one in sequence, but we already have a feeling that unless that there's a real deus ex machina, poor Boone's doomed. Locke will disappear for the majority of it, which Jack will not let him forget, and everything is about to change--- again.moreless

My father lied to me.

By napen, Sep 12, 2008

John, pobre John, el sin padre, el inmaculadamente concebido, nos cuenta su historia triste triste. Su madre lo encuentra y le dice quién es. John no le cree, luego le cree y comienza a buscar a su padre. Este lo recibe con el amor increíble, él se deja sumergir en esa reverencia exagerada. Van juntos a cazar, toman juntos la leche, se hacen recontra amigos. Hasta que... hasta que su querido y adorado padre le saca un riñón y se lo queda como demostración de tanto amor. John desconsolado llora por el amor perdido y por la muerte de Boone... "Por qué??!!!".moreless

SUCH A Exciting Episode....

By AnilThornberry, Aug 21, 2008

This episode is one of my favorites, Loved the storyline and the scenes// It was just simply breathtaking to watch -- could not blink my eyes for a second. =))

I loved Boone and Locke in this episode -- such a great partners. I think they made a WONDERFU team. I will miss them together SO..SOO... much...I cant believe Boone died -- one of the best characters in the series. :(

He had so much to live for -- damn you plane // why did you have to fall???? =((

Overall, I give it a 10 out of 10. .... . .moreless

We have Locke as a toy sales person as he flashes back o his history, we have Sawyer with a most troublesome medical condition, Jack coming to the rescue and Boone sending out a mayday. But the background information is building up, as are the questions.

By captainbritain, Jun 19, 2008

We find out more about John Locke in this episode, from his time before the box company, when he was working at a toy store, when a lady watches him and then again she is outside the store watching as she watches him going to his car, he chases and eventually catches upto her and finds out that she's his mother. Over coffee, he finds out all the details from her.

We go back to the island and more time for both Locke and Bonne trying to get into the window within the hatch. They try a device to deliver alot of pressure onto the the glass hatch but it fails, but it does leave a sharpnel piece in Locke's leg, which he takes out later byt the fire and realises that he has no feeling in either of his legs, that he doesn't even feel the pain fom the burning sticks.

Sawyer is complaining of the noise people are making around the island, the banging and such like, Sun has been trying to help him herbally but to no avail, so Kate asks Jack about persistant headaches, which gets him to ask whom etc. Jack approaches Sawyer, who doesn't really want anything to give Jack the pleasure of treating him, but finally a diagnosis of the fact that he needs glasses is discovered, so they round up all the passengers glasses found, try them all on and then gets Sayid to mould the right strength lens back into a single pair of glasses.

Meanwhile, John has a nightmare / dream that night whilst around the fire, but it has given him some insight into what needs doing, a sign. He explains it to Boone, who is not too convinced until john mentions a specific thing, which then causes him to believe. They head off in a new direction into the jungle, Boone is concerned for John's walking, that he's slowing down. John tells him the truth but convinces Boone that there is somethng in the plane that will aid him / them.

We flash back to JOhn in discussion with a PI, with regards to his mother and his findings, those also include his father, whom we see John going off to face. They bond quickly, form a good friendship and then John discovers that his father needs a kidney transplant - which he suggests to him. On waking, John is alone in the hospital room, no sign of his father, who then refuses to speak to him or even to see him.

On the island, John and Boone find the plane, after finding a gun wielding Nigerian priest. Then Boone explores the plane, suspended on a ledge high above, discovers statues filled with drugs, then a pilot and whilst sending out a mayday on the plane's radio, the plane nose dives into the ground. John is able to get up, rescue Boone and then carries him all the way back to the caves to get treatment from Jack.moreless

best episode of any tv show!

By kenrwill, Jun 08, 2008

i'm a man. and being a man i hardly cry over movies or tv shows. thats what makes this episode so special. i teared up like a baby. john locke is the every man. who has the entire world against him. the music has never been better than this episode. there are so many parts of this episode that kick so much butt, yet it is that image of john locke banging on the hatch crying to the heavens asking why. then a light comes on....and you know that his answer is about to be revealed....until next time! dont tell john locke what he can't do!moreless

Deus ex Machina rightfully received accolades of praise from fans and critics alike. So when this reviewer states that the episode is one of the most under-appreciated ones in Lost history, readers are advised to bear that in mind.

By pureWasted, May 05, 2008

(This review contains spoilers up to half-way through season 4, and is intended for those who have already seen all episodes in between; you've been warned!)

This is Lost.

"Deus ex Machina" is a very special episode, but most people get that on their first viewing. It is both thrilling and heart-wrenching, containing mysterious island goings-on and subtle character development. It contains a breath-taking performance by Terry O'Quinn as the tragic hero John Locke. The summary stated in no uncertain terms that as highly regarded as this episode may be, it will remain one of the most under-appreciated ones in Lost history.

As John Locke attempts to open up the mysterious hatch with renewed vigour, his fruitless efforts begin to make a dent in his faith. Losing the use of his legs, John begins to panic and questions the island's methods when he sees a shocking vision that will lead to destiny... and tragedy. With Boone's assistance, the two discover a beech craft in the dense canopy; the corpses of Nigerian priests warn the pair that not everything is as it seems. The audience learns of the drugs in the plane and Boone makes the fateful emergency transmission on the radio -- which is answered by an enigmatic "No, WE'RE the survivors of 815!" Throughout the flashbacks the audience meets a John Locke before whatever put him in the wheelchair, a John Locke who makes for himself a quiet, simple existence. Life hasn't been kind to him, and as he finally meets the parents he never knew, his father, Anthony Cooper, cons the unassuming John out of a kidney. John is both hurt and outraged at the injustices done unto him and as the final flashback closes on him weeping atop the small opening of the hatch, crying out "I did everything you asked me to... so why did you do this to ME?" and banging on the lid... the opening lights up, illuminating John's face, and the episode ends. "LOST."

"Lost" indeed. Having already mentioned the accolades of praise that were heaped upon this episode for all aforementioned reasons, it seems entirely redundant to go through the plot points individually. So why did this reviewer go through the trouble?

Because sprinkled throughout this episode are tiny details that mark momentous occasions in Lost history. This is the first time the audience visits the beech craft; the first time they hear the enigmatic response on the radio; the first time they meet Anthony Cooper; and this is the day the hatch lit up. By themselves, these moments are significant as steps along the journey, but ultimately may seem trivial. However, "Lost" is not a show that does anything "by itself." This episode does not stand alone, and when seen on repeat viewings well into season 3, the beauty and brilliance of this story are amplified to unimaginable degrees. Having seen the episode "The Other 48 Days" in early season 2, for example, the audience learns of the hardships the Tail-section survivors went through simply to answer Boone's distress call. Likewise, "The 23rd Psalm" reveals the dead drug smugglers' connection to Tail-section survivor Mr. Eko and his accidental redemption. The season 2 finale, "Live Together, Die Alone," explains finally why the hatch lit up as John battered against it to release his frustration -- he'd just saved Desmond from committing suicide. Finally, the season 3 episode "The Man from Tallahassee" reveals that John's paralysis is a result of being pushed out of a window by his con-artist father, Anthony Cooper. Having seen all of those episodes, every single detail presented therein will now be like a welcome emotional baggage on repeat vieweings of Deus ex Machina, providing insights and significance to every nuance of the story. Not only is Deus ex Machina the first meeting of John Locke and his long-lost father, it is also the start of a destructive chain of events that will lead John to lose his legs - and ultimately end up on this very island. Not only is this our first indication to somebody living within the hatch, that somebody goes on to become one of the central characters of the show, and watching John stop Desmond's suicide, not knowing the full extent of his actions -as it happens live- adds a surreal element to the episode.

And so on and so forth, to infinity and beyond. Because there is no magical cut off to this branching of subtle connections, no cut off to the brilliance of this show. Once the audience pictures Desmond hiding within that Hatch, prepared to commit suicide, they cannot help but think of his long-lost love Penelope Widmore, and the accomplishment of The Constant. Once the audience thinks of Anthony Cooper, they will instantly recall that he was responsible not only for the tragedies of his son, but likewise of those that befell Sawyer. Which brings into clear focus the three-way confrontation between Sawyer, Cooper, and John in The Brig. Because in a show crafted with such love and care, with true craftsmanship and sophistication, the beauty of episodes like Deus ex Machina will only continue to escalate as the series nears its inevitable conclusion. This is show-making on a scale that has never been attempted before, let alone so successfully.

This is Lost. -pWmoreless

Kate: That's it, get up. Sawyer: What?

Kate: Get up. You're going to Jack.

Sawyer: Do I get a lollipop?

By efc91, Mar 24, 2008

Locke discovers that he is losing sensation in his legs. Locke and Boone find a Beechcraft 18 teetering on the edge of a cliff. Boone climbs up and, using the radio, sends out a distress call, "We are the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815," to which a man responds "We're the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815." The plane falls and Locke carries a critically injured Boone back to the camp. Locke arrives at the caves with Boone and lies about how Boone got hurt. Locke disappears into the jungle. Pounding on the hatch and screaming in anguish, the inside of the hatch suddenly becomes illuminated. In flashbacks, Locke meets his parents and his father cons him out of a kidney. Brilliant another astonishing episode the season got better and better.moreless

Load More Reviews