Do No Harm

Episode Reviews (54)

Superb

Pure Drama!!!!!

By Dante_Edy, May 05, 2010

This episode focused only in Drama, maybe too much.

The weak point in this episode is Jack flashback. They have no importance, only for Jack fans, since if you are, you will be glad to discover some more information about him. Other than that, nothing important, just to fill the episode.

Boone condition was well done, now I understand why I didn´t died in the last episode, was to create this painful scenes to watch. Of course, the writers managed to keep this, until the very end of this episode.

Claire baby is born, she having complications at the same time that Jack was taking care of Boone, at the beginning seemed interesting, but then, it just feel that they need to put this claire having baby plot somewhere (like this episode), just to fill this episode and not interfere into the next ones.

The usual CliffHanger was more weak this time, since you could predited this a miles away.

Overall a great episode, but with the lack of some lost myth, surprises, twists and a good CliffHanger, this episode only can get a 8 this time. This episode can´t be compared with the previous ones.moreless

Best episode of season 1

By moocow3000, Jun 21, 2009

One person is born and one person dies on the island. Boone is in an accident in the jungle, and only a slightly paralyzed Locke is there to take him to the cave. Kate finds Claire and she goes into labor. Jack is preoccupied with Boone, so Kate must deliver the baby. Sayid and Shannon go on a romantic getaway. What makes me SO MAD is that Shannon's step-brother is DYING and people don't bother trying to go get her. The end was extremely sad, as Boone dies and his final thoughts and words are about Shannon. Even sadder is Shannon breaking down by Boone's body the next morning. The fact that the only person Shannon had on the island is now gone. A great episodemoreless

I was surprised!

By One_Cool_Cuke, Apr 19, 2009

It shouldn't have happened. Boone had contributed so much to them, then he dies? It wouldn't have happened if Locke didn't lie about what happened, that way the proper treatment would have been given. I still like Locke, and I really liked Boone, but I hated it when Locke did that.

Claire has a baby...f that. The baby may have been important to the story, but it wasn't to me. The ending depressed me, with everyone all happy when Boone died. So what there was a baby. There was also a DEATH! I would focus on that, not the freakin baby.

Enough said though. Good episode. One of the best.moreless

Death comes for one of the island's castaways

By DavidB226Morris, Mar 29, 2009

Everybody's been suffering a lot of stress ever since the crash, but of all the castaways, Jack has never been able to take a breath. He's had to be the doctor, the lifesaver, the leader, and a hero. But, outside of comic books, no man can be a hero all the time, and this is never more obvious then the way we see Jack during this episode. It's also clear that while all the pressure is killing him, the biggest amount of strain has always come from within

The irony is that Jack has always been like this, as we can tell when he flashes back to his engagement to Sarah, a former patient whose life he saved in a car accident. (We're going to learn more about her in other episodes.) Now, you would think that remembering the day you got married would be pleasant, but like almost every other flashback, there's definitely a lot of pain here. What's going on with Sarah is probably a case of transference, and Jack should know far better than to take it to this length. But as his father tells him, "You have a problem letting go." This could be considered more poison from Christian, but by now we know it's the god's truth. That's why he became a doctor, that's why he got married, that's why he expects so much of other people, and is infuriated when they do not come through for him.

All of this is tested when he tries to save Boone's life. From the beginning, Jack has to know that it would take a miracle for him to save Boone. But unlike Locke (where the hell is he, anyway?) Jack doesn't believe in miracles. He keeps promising everybody that he will, and is willing to literally shed his blood for Boone, but it's not going to be enough, and deep down he knows it. But just like when the marshal dying, he can not bring himself to pull away from this. Boone has to tell him that he knows it's hopeless before Jack nearly does something far nastier.

What aggravates this crisis is that one is playing across the beach simultaneously- Claire has begun to go into labor. With Jack unable to help, he turns to Kate to try and help get her through it. This is unusual, as Kate and Claire have had little to do with each other up until now, but she comes through like the champ she is. Both women are obviously terrified by this, and Claire is even more fragile because she's convinced that this baby somehow senses that she didn't want it, along with the obvious fears that about having to raise it here. The scenes with the two are very strong.

Out of these emergencies, a couple of heroes arise. As Boone continues to weaken Sun serves as Jack's unofficial nurse. Right now, her work with herbal remedies have been very helpful, but she doesn't flinch from either the blood that's being shed or the worsening of the situation. On the contrary, she actually butts heads with Jack over a couple of decisions, including his unilateral one to try an amputation. We've known Sun is stronger than she looks, but this is the first episode where she demonstrates that there is steel in her spine.

Meanwhile, Jin tries to overcome the language barrier, and help aid with Claire's labor. He hears her cries, and runs like mad to get Jack's help. And even though it's clear that he doesn't like having to have Sun translate for him, he is more than willing to do so in order to keep Claire safe. Furthermore, when the actual labor begins, and Charlie, who is understandably concerned wants to assist, he holds him back, wordlessly telling him that this is a moment that he should not interfere. (And kudos to the writers for having Jin and Sun where they are; any others would have reversed it.) The episode also brings out some of the others. Charlie is willing to do everything he can to help Jack get the blood he needs, only to be faced with the unhappy truth that most people don't know their own blood type. Sawyer, who was such a son of a jerk about giving over his supplies in earlier episodes, is willing to give all the alcohol he has over to Kate with no questions asked. (Then again, maybe Kate had to remind him of carte blanche) And Michael, who could never imagine that his work of engineering who lead him into a situation like this, is willing to help Jack figure out how to amputate. However, the two other men who have been the most help in these kinds of problems are nowhere to be found. We're not sure where Locke is (and by the end of the episode, it's pretty clear he'd do well not to run into Jack) but Sayid is off in the beaches on a date with Shannon. This is the one part of the episode that I have a problem with. I know that this was mostly dramatic license to keep Shannon offstage until the episode ended, but really, Boone's is in such a bad way, it didn't occur to anybody that maybe someone should try and find her and tell her that her brother's dying? I realize that two crisis hit simultaneously, but you'd think that maybe Hurley or Rose would have made an effort. And Sayed surely had to deal with similar situations during the Gulf War, no one thought to try and find him? There's probably not much that he could've done, but still… (I'll bring up my problems with Shannon and Sayid's relationship when we get there) Then there's the problem where Shannon tells Syed that Boone is her stepbrother, and that he is in love with her (but mercifully doesn't go into detail) but that she wants them to work around him if they're going to have a relationship. Newsflash, that won't be an obstacle (not that'll make much difference either)

In the end, Boone finally succumbs from his injuries, and we all feel a little tug. This is the first major character on the show to die, and you can't help but feel a little tug when he dies, unable to finish whatever he wanted to tell Shannon (and it's telling that his last thoughts were of her) Shannon didn't think that she needed Boone, but she does. Whenever he's gone, she's a different person, dependent and paranoid (not that she's much nicer when he was alive) Now he's gone forever, and she feels utterly lost. The silent sequence where Jack tells her what happened to her brother was probably Maggie Grace's finest hour on the series, as she just silently collapses. IT might have been more interesting to follow her character and see how she deals with out him, but unfortunately, the island won't give her much of a chance to mourn.

The episode features some great work, including the usually stalwart performance of Matthew Fox, as a man quietly imploding, as well as fin work from Yunjun Kim, Lilly, and De Ravin (her first real big moment since Claire reappeared a few days ago). It also features good work by Julie Bowen as the future Mrs. Jack Shepherd.

'Do No Harm' is one of the most exhausting and draining episodes mainly because there is so much anguish after Boone dies. Other major characters will die as well, but few would cause as much pain with their deaths And Jack, unlike the rest of the island, doesn't stop to mourn. He's been pissed at Locke for awhile, and now he has a legitimate reason to confront him.

My score: 9.8moreless

Fix you

By napen, Sep 12, 2008

When you try your best, but you don't succeed

When you get what you want, but not what you need

When you feel so tired, but you can't sleep

Stuck in reverse

And the tears come streaming down your face

When you lose something you can't replace

When you love someone, but it goes to waste

Could it be worse?

And I will try to fix you

And high up above or down below

When you're too in love to let it go

But if you never try you'll never know

Just what you're worth

Tears stream down your face

When you lose something you cannot replace

And I...

Tears stream down on your face

I promise you I will learn from my mistakes

And I...

Coldplay, Fix you.moreless

We have the medical emergency in and around Boone, with everyone trying to help, meanwhile there is also a baby to deliver, not to mention that the everyday tasks need to be completed.

By captainbritain, Jun 19, 2008

We start with the medical emergency left over from last week, that of Boone, trying to sort him out, as he gets a collapsed lung, his leg is busted, he is busy sorting out all of the medical issues, getting people to run errands and help in small ways. Kate runs off to the beach to get Sawyers alcohol supply, then on the way back she runs into Claire, who is having contractions.

We flash back onto Jack, in a tailors getting a friend all dressed up in a tuxedo, then we discover that Jack is the groom, then its off to a scene of a wedding practice where we find out that it was Jack who had patched her up and made her walk.

Shannon and Sayid go off on a romantic venture on the beach, where Shannon explains some of the past experiences, explains things and they agreee to take things slow and they continue to enjoy their time together.

We have Charlie running around trying to find out what blood group everyone is, Jack is trying to devise a way to get a hollow point needle and other things, whilst Jin eventually gets back to the camp and explain the situation regarding Claire going into labour. Jack gets Charlie and Jin to go back and to help Kate deliver Claire's baby.

We have the flashback where Sarah is declaring her love for Jack, that they decided to write their own vows, Jack's father arrives and finds Jack with his feet in the pool and they are talking through, whether it is right to mary or is it time to let go.

That decision is then found on the island as we discover that the blood transfusion did not work, that the leg is dead and needs to be amputated. Sun tries to stop it, as Boone is bleeding internally, she advises him to stop it, but he doesn't.

We then flashback to Sarah giving her vows to Jack at their wedding, then Jack goes through his own version of his vows, but he does go through with them.

Boone stops them amputating his leg, but Jack won't let Boone give up, but Boone begs Jack to let him go as he's in too much pain, he doesn't blame Jack and never will. Kate, Jin and Charlie help Claire deliver the baby, a little boy, which is more or less delivered at the same time that Boone passes.

As everyone gathers around to see the baby the following morning, Sayid and Shannon return, leaving Jack with the task of telling Shannon about Boone. Jack is on the beach and Kate tries to come and consol him about Boones death, Jack says that he did not die that he was murdered and heads of to find John Locke.moreless

A Jack-centric episode of Lost.

By Writer2000, Apr 30, 2008

Let me just start out by saying that I personally believe that this is the best episode yet of Lost. It was so well written and so well acted by everyone involved. It was definitely a very sad episode. I really liked the symbolism that this episode had regarding the cycle of life with the death of Boone and the birth of Claire's son, Aaron. I also really liked the flashback's of Jack life before the plane crashed on the island. They were definitely both very shocking and revealing. Another thing that I really enjoyed about this episode was Claire's story line. Emilie de Ravin (Claire) did a great job of acting in this episode. I really liked the whole story line between Sayid and Shannon too. All things considered, this really was one of the best episodes yet of Lost, and it was definitely a very sad and memorable episode too.moreless

I cried (not sobbing) during the whole Aaron being born, Boone dying part.

By Shadowfax1993, Apr 01, 2008

Obituary for Boone Carlyle: Boone was 22 when he died. His mother married Shannon's father when he was ten and he fell in love with Shannon. He spent some time in NYC. He wanted to help Shannon when she was having financial problems but she refused and he became COO (or something like that) of his mother's wedding company. Reason for travel: To "rescue" Shannon (but it was a con) and when her con backfired, he couldn't resist her advances and they slept together. They boarded Oceanic flight 815 after they decided to go back to the way they were before, he attempted saving Rose but went to get pens for Jack who succeeded saving Rose. He finally got over Shannon when Locke drugged him. He fell from a Nigerian plane after he and Locke found a hatch leading to his death. He told Jack to let go and he will be missed.moreless

Jack: (to Boone) You are not gonna die. I'm gonna fix this, ok? I am going to save you.

By efc91, Mar 24, 2008

Boone reveals to Jack that he and Locke have discovered the hatch, and Locke has told him not to tell anybody else. Despite Jack's extensive attempts to save him, Boone dies. Claire goes into labor and gives birth to a boy. Flashbacks show Jack's wedding to Sarah, a former patient whom he had "fixed" after she was injured in a car accident. Emotional episodehad me nearly crying, were new life is death is not far, Do no harm was the saddest episode of the first season, I thought I would miss boone and I have, but he left at the right time.moreless

Load More Reviews