Eggtown

Episode Reviews (93)

Superb

About Kate, but more about Locke

By chardr69, Jan 27, 2012

"Eggtown" is Kate's flashforward about her day in court for murdering her father, but it's also another power-mad Locke is a prick episode. He's so unlikable, and he tries to be such a god-like character, but he's nothing more then the loser he is off the island.

Omg I was waiting for Kate's flash-forward because she is one of my favorite characters on LOST. FANTASTIC episode, top to bottom SPOILERS INSIDE....

By zedtaker, May 26, 2010

I'm sorry if most of the people in the forums say it was predictable, I believe if you read spoilers or theories even then it wouldn't be predictable because the writing on this episode kept you second guessing throughout. I remember once someone on this forum saying something about Kate referring to Aaron as the "he will be wondering where I am" to Jack in the S3 finale, but I always thought why would someone say that unless someone read spoilers and the spoiler revealed Kate lived with Claire off the Island. Anyway I still didn't think it was Aaron. I kept going back and forth with Jack or Sawyer. I'm a HUGE Jater so I desperately want Kate to end up with Jack (it WILL happen, it HAS to) so when Kate said "my son" I was screaming at the TV wanting to kill her. I was sooooo p*ssed at why she got pregnant with Sawyers baby but wasn't sure until Jack in the courtroom said 'he doesn't love her now', I was like 'B*tch had Sawyers baby. However, I still wasn't sure until I saw Kate go to Sawyer and sleep with him AGAIN and then I thought, yea the Sl*t had sex with him AGAIN and later on in the season Jack will find out and hate her for sleeping with Sawyer AGAIN (that's why he doesn't lover her anymore in the flash-forward). However, AGAIN I was surprised when in the parking lot Kate and Jack meet and I was like, omg there is hope for Jater cos it sounded like it might be Jack's child and not Sawyers (I couldn't figure out why Jack wouldn't want to see the baby but I knew now it wasn't sawyers cos Kate didn't sleep with Sawyer the 2nd time and Kate said she wasn't pregnant in the first place). Then I thought right at the end when we see the baby, even though the baby was blonde… a la Sawyer, I was praying for Kate to say some reference to Jack but was SHOCKED when she said "AARON" There you go, NOT predictable at all.moreless

The title's confusing enough, but this one's a disappointment

By DavidB226Morris, Feb 28, 2010

This is an episode that appealed to me a bit less then some of the other ones. After all, the flashforward doesn't reveal much that we didn't already know. It also raises a lot more questions that the other flashbacks should have told us.. Then again, maybe it's because I've seen so many trials on the various Law and Orders and David E. Kelley shows that I can't help but look at the flaws. But then again, maybe the writers of Lost don't consider courtroom fare part of their work.

The list of charges levied at Kate is impressive, yet I'm pretty sure that the D.A. could've gone further. Wasn't she responsible for a bank robbery that led to the deaths of four other people in 'Whatever the Case May Be'? Or shouldn't she have been tried for accessory for the death of Tom in 'Born to Run'? We know the marshal knew about it in 'Exodus'; why didn't the D.A. even try? Even if the charges were dismissed, it certainly would have made Kate look guiltier. And if Diane hadn't flaked on the murder of her father (we'll get to that in the middle) she would have still had to stand trial for those charges.

And the presentation was even more wrong. Everyone who's seen an episode of L.A. Law knows that the prosecution presents its entire case and then the defense starts playing character witnesses. And why didn't Kate want to testify? From all the evidence we've seen, her father was an abusive drunk who might have molested her for years. Even given the extenuating circumstances, I find it hard to believe that any jury, celebrity status or not, would have found her guilty. And this is the same jury pool that let O.J. walk.

Because the flashbacks are full of these loopholes, this undercuts 'Eggtown'. Which is a bit of pity because what's happening on the island is fascinating. Locke has taken over the barrack (popularly referred to as New Otherton) and is trying to get information out of Ben. And once again, even though he has the advantage, Ben is still toying with him What's more, Locke is revealing that he's got an ultra-violent streak that is not at all appealing. The scene where he puts a grenade in Miles' mouth, awesome as it was, is not something that Locke would have done even a month ago. However, this is Kate's story, and despite what Sawyer reminded her of just one day earlier, she still needs to know if they know about her. So she gets Miles out the boathouse, and then does a master juggling act of getting Miles and Ben in the same room. This leads to another of the high points where, even if you understand it, it still has the propensity to thrill, as Ben admits more to Miles in one minute than he has to Locke in three days of captivity. It's also clear that Ben, for the first time, seems at something of a disadvantage, but then he such a good poker player, we can't really tell if he's being level. What crimes did Ben commit? Who does Miles work for? Believe it or not, we're actually on the verge of getting some answers.

Then there's more of the relationship between Kate and Sawyer. Kate seems overly concerned about getting pregnant (we assume that's what's happened because of the flashforward) but why is she so concerned about it here? The obvious answer is that she's talked with Sun or Juliet and they've told her that all pregnant women die in their second trimester. But the way that Kate behaves in the episode, I'm pretty sure that she doesn't know that. Considering that, I think Sawyer's attitude towards Kate in their final scene together is somewhat justified. Kate does seem to be flitting between Jack and Sawyer for the past three seasons, and now that rescue does seem imminent, she's doing it again, under much harsher circumstances. Does she not want to set down roots? Is she always someone who has to be on the run? Seems that way.

Of course, when the final flashforwards are taking place, it seems that's what's going on. Kate is a mother, and she seems more than willing to stop running for her child (Even if, as we find out in the last word of the episode, that's it's not really her son.) But maybe Kate doesn't want to lie anymore. Perhaps that is the reason that she doesn't want Jack to tell his story, because she doesn't seem to want to accept the cons that have been spinning (Or maybe she finds that the cons are so obvious that it would be hard enough for anyone to believe. After all, everyone seems to be going to pretty elaborate means to say that during her testimony and after everything that we're supposed to believe here, especially when everyone seems to be bend over backwards not to mention who Kate's son is.)

Kate also manages to face down the last ghost that has been stalking her---- dear old Mom. Yes, it's nice that she found a place in that cold black shell that Diane calls a heart not to testify against her daughter, but it doesn't change the fact that she hasn't so much as come to visit her since whatever rescue is coming. And even then, she wants something --- to see her grandson. One of the strongest scenes comes when Kate tells Diane she'd rather rot in prison then let her dying mother meet him. Good for Kate.

Of course, right now, it's beginning to look like no one is going to get rescued. After all, the helicopter that was carrying Sayid and Desmond took off yesterday, and yet somehow has not reached the freighter. What the hell is going on now? Is there some significance in the fact that Dan whispered that he had to stay on the exact same coordinates? Maybe that's why the first helicopter we saw near the island crashed.

In many way Lost has been all about cons, and that's certainly true of 'Eggtown'. Jack, who seemed to be the most forthright person on the island, now is maintaining the largest con of all on the rest of the world, and Kate seems willing to do so. Sawyer and Kate pull one of the better cons against Locke when they managed to get Miles and Ben into the same place. Miles seems to be willing to maintain another con, as long as he gets his. And Kate is now willing to con the world into thinking she was a great hero when in actuality the child she was supposedly carrying isn't even hers. As is often the case on the show, Kate seems to get away with it, and unlike Hurley and Sayid, she doesn't seem to be paying any huge price for it.

Yet one can't help but remember the words of that supposed psychic Richard Malkin when Claire came to him about her pregnancy -- he told her that her child "must not be raised by another". At the time his actions seemed designed to get Claire on the island, but now that it actually seems to be happening, is there something to it? Will Kate eventually have to pay a price for raising Aaron? And, if so, what form will it take? (This is a hint to the writers, too; you'd better explain if Aaron has more significance than you've given him, and you're running out of time.)

My score:7.5 (more because of the legal issues than any specific problem with the episode.)moreless

After a solid start to Season 4, this episode comes as a little disappointment.

By martync7, Jun 11, 2009

Of all the season 4 episodes I have so far seen, "Eggtown" is easily the weakest of the 4, which most people would probably agree with. It is strange when looking back that some of the weaker additions of the series have been Kate episodes. Subsequent to her solid centric episode debut, "Tabula Rasa", the character of Kate hasn't been given as strong a backstory of depth of personality as the others, and given her past history and how it should affect her present situations is surprising. The root of the problem lies with her hormones, unfortunately. As with most great TV shows, the writers have to employ a little romantic tension into proceedings once in a while and this will obviously please the shipper fans. This would be fine if one romantic partnership existed on the island that concerned Kate. The writers try to complicate the situation, uneccesarily so, by bringing in other characters. The decision to choose between two men has never been so difficult for any female charcater, fictional or otherwise in history, yet Kate manages to make even the most indecisive person appear positive. What makes matters worse is that even the men have contracted the illness and will continue to throughout the remainder of the series. Is this the Sickness? Has a Lost mystery been answered? Sawyer can't choose between Kate or Juliet and even had a fling with Ana-Lucia. He seems to have some affection for Claire as well. Jack seems to bounce between Kate and Juliet with each passing episode. At this stage of the series you would have thought that things would have settled down but unfortunately not and, for me not being a shipper, I find this element of the series to be the weakest area. Yes, Lost is essentially a character driven series and the romantic tensions created is a part of that, but it shouldn't be too much of a focus, as it appears to be in this episode. There are better ways to explore the characters, particularly at this stage of the game. Nethertheless, there is enough in this episode to almost balance things out. Like the last episode the island events don't seem to move very far. Much more happens on the island than it did in "The Economist" but you can definitely feel that this is a ploy by the writers. They are building the tension up, that you feel that at some point things will just explode. That explosion would be largely delayed until "The Shape of Things to Come". For all of the Kate moments, "Eggtown" is as much a Locke episode as anyone. It even begins on Locke's eye, tricking the audience from the get-go. Locke has come a along way since Day 1 on the island. Fans of the gentle, island worshipping would-be hunter of old will probably be disappointed in the direction that this character has took since midway through Season 3. At the end of the day, Locke's actions are only driven by what the island has and still can offer him, as has been case since the beginning. The only things different is his methods, which have become more demonstrative. Locke has found his true home, and, unlike his parents, the island, has taken care of him and, now in some way, he wants to return the favor by giving it what it needs at this time, a new leader. Since the end of Season 3 Ben has felt his grip on the island controls slipping because of this man and now Ben tries to rub salt in Locke's wounds. Locke, once again, is in a fragile state. He has lost contact with Jacob and, in this episode he has lost contact with everyone else. Taunting Locke at the beginning of the episode is Ben's way of cutting through Locke. Ben employed the same tactic on him in Season 2's "Maternity Leave" and with very similar reactions from Locke. Despite, all that the island has given him and shown him and helped him face, to the extent of seeing his father dead at the hands of Sawyer, Locke remains angry, tormented and far from being free.

But instead of sitting down and thinking about his next moves quietly by himself cross-legged, as he did so often in the early days on the island he now takes his frustrations out on people and Miles gets it the worst. Never before have we seen him so violent. Just as we can't understand how Kate can not choose between two men, so radically different from each other and her own personality, so too can we not fathom how Locke can be so bitter and remorseful after being on an island that not only saved his life from a plane crash and from a skeleton pit but brought life back to his legs. Off island, for a second, we finally get to wrap (or so it it would seem) Kate's fugitive storyline, which is a consolation because we don't get to see Kate's love life settle down. On island we see Kate leave Sawyer alone in an Other's bed (oh, the thought!) and off island in the future she has distanced herself from Jack also. So, it would seem that the Kate tennis ball ended up not bouncing to anyone but the back of the court. Of course, as we would see later the two of them did share a rather short-lived relationship. But the highlight of this flashforward is not the rather straightforward trial, which netherless features a revealing cover story for the events on the island, nor the reunion between Kate and her mother, but the reveal of Kate's "son", who is none other than Aaron, Claire's baby. The writers do a clever job in setting it up that Kate really has a biological son and that the father is Sawyer. That Sawyer is the father would make sense as Jack would naturally have a problem with wanting to see the baby, due to jealousy. The fact that it wasn't adds a further mystery to events off island. It is likely that both the fact that the baby is being protected by the cover story/lie the survivors have concocted to prevent any reveal of what happened to Claire and subsequent others on the island. Add to that Jack's guilt that he would be, as step-sister to Claire, Aaron's nephew and you have a lot of burden for Jack to carry on his shoulders. The biggest question, however, is what becomes of the beautiful Claire. The end of the season doesn't help is solve the mystery. We discover she suddenly disappears but pops up a la Christian Shepherd in the jungle and in Jacob's cabin. Has Claire become an apparition of Jacob or the smoke monster? Speaking of Claire, many fans were annoyed at her behaviour following Charlie's death. Sure, she seems to have gotten over the loss quite quickly, but some people do get over these things more easily than others, either due to inner strength or maybe happy pills! At the time of writing this review I am witnessing someone acting similar to Claire. So, trust me, it does happen!

Back on the island and we see an odd scene between Daniel Faraday and Charlotte Lewis, playing cards. Faraday is trying to remember what the three cards laying down on the table are but fails to remember all of them and is disgusted. Take this moment with Faraday's very first flashback scene in "Confirmed Dead", where he says he can't remember why he is upset and we are led to believe that somehow Daniel has a memory problem and that also he may be involved in some time travel.

The whole memory plot thread would be further developed in the following episode. One of the most impressive elements of Lost, is its continued ability to pull storylines and themes from seasons past and recycle them or even elaborate, expand and develop them, proving that nothing stays dead and untied up on the show [okay, except Libby!]. In this episode and this season's case it is the early Season 1 episode, "Raised by Another", which is given another spotlight and audiences are made to re-evaluate the events of that episode in light of the events seen in "Eggtown". Both creepy Locke in Claire's dream and Richard Malkin, warn Claire to not let anyone but her raise her baby or danger will befall them. Has this sequence of bad events begun? Also, Locke said to Claire in her trippy dream that she gave the baby up and that now everyone pays the price now. Of course, this dream was on island and we know that she hadn't and wasn't any time soon going to give the baby up. She was off the island but never did. Locke is saying in the dream that she DID give it up. If Claire's dreams were a premonition of events to come [Lest not forget that she dreamt that her baby was in danger and that someone was coming to kidnap her, which died happen] then this episode is quite a foreshadowing, proving that the writers knew where they were going to take the show from Day 1. This, in some ways, was a bit of a filler episodes, despite all the important revelations, which depends alot on Kate's undefined and over-romantic character. Lost Unless it is Penny and Desmond, romance isn't the best aspect of the show. And this episode only proves this. All in all, a disappointing addition to Season 4.moreless

A Kate-centric flash-forward episode.

By Writer2000, Sep 13, 2008

Let me start out by saying that I absolutely loved this episode, and I really enjoyed getting to see the flash-forwards of Kate's life after she gets off the island. I already knew that Kate was raising Aaron as her own son after she got off the island since I've already seen the second half of the season, but I was very surprised that she's telling everyone that Aaron is her biological son. I still don't know why she's choosing to act like Aaron is her own son, but I'm very eager to find out the reason she's doing that. Another thing that I really liked about this episode was just Sawyer in general, but that's mainly because he's always been one of my most favorite characters on Lost. All things considered, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost from everyone involved, and I can't wait to watch the rest of season four since I've only seen the episodes that aired after the writers strike ended at this point in time.moreless

Bad deals are made...

By JBentham, Aug 31, 2008

Kate episodes are not really the best episodes of Lost. She had some great ones, but for the most, they are very average.

This is yet again another average episode. It mostly took place at Locke's camp which means we don't get too much action. The episode mostly focused on Kate's (as usual) troubled relationship(s).

Kate wants to find out if she's still wanted, and of course, she turns to Miles. This was rather silly I thought. Miles asks Kate to get him together with Ben for a few minutes. This of course means Kate has to con Locke, and risk their safety.

Pretty complicated, yes? So why didn't Kate just ask Dan while he was with Jack, or Miles BEFORE he was captured? Anyway, Sawyer and Kate conning Locke was fun, but Locke's behaviour was way too out of character. First of all I enjoyed the scene at the beginning of the episode: Locke bringing food to Ben who won't reveal a thing to poor John which makes him angry - just like in season 2.

But, this wasn't the same Locke from the first 3 episodes. He seemed way too unsure about himself. This was the Locke from season 2: but after seeing Ghost Walt, finding out that the button has a purpose, meeting Jacob and leading a whole group of survivors, this barely made any sense.

Locke banishing Kate after she tricked him was very childish too and out of character. Luckily though, he did punish Miles too by making him bite on a grenade - now that was the Locke we came to love.

Another character acting odd was Claire: all of sudden she wanted to talk to Miles and she was all happy and cheery: it's been only about 2 days since Charlie died! Not cool.

Kate breaking up with Sawyer - not cool either. First of all, why was Kate pissed off? Because Sawyer was happy that she wasn't pregnant. Wait a bit. How does she even know, all of sudden, that she's NOT pregnant? This made VERY VERY little sense, Kate is aware of that if she is pregnant and stays on the island, she and the baby could die.

Luckily for us, the flashforwards were better. We find out who Kate referred to as "him" in the Jack flashforward: her son, who really isn't hers. It's Aaron - makes us wonder, how did he end up with Kate instead of Claire? While this wasn't as big as the reveal that Sayid's working for Ben, it was definitely awesome and "WOW" worthy. Kate's court scenes were good, though unrealistic. However her interaction with Jack was superb, just as her interactions with her mother. Emotional, and full of information. Kate's deal that she won't leave the country for years was a nice little thing. If she wants to obey the laws, there's no way for her to "Go back"...

Verdict: on a whole, much like with "The Economist" the island portion of the episode was weak, but the flashforward was great. Island: 6/10, Flashforwards: 9/10, which gives us a score around 7: very average for Lost. Enjoyable, yes. But slow moving, sometimes a bit illogical and lots of out of character moments.moreless

Another solid episode of Lost.

By PabloExobar, Aug 25, 2008

Kate episodes tend to split the audience. Much like Sawyer episodes, Kate episodes are character driven, therefore her episodes feel "disconnected" from the main storyline. This time around, it doesn't fully apply, but partly, yes, it does.

The island plot was really good episode. I enjoyed it more than in the previous one. Locke going season2-crazy is intriguing. I'm sure most of you have noticed, but in the opening, the writers copied a scene from a season 2 episode(Maternity Leave). Locke and Ben has almost the same conversation, and Locke has the same reaction. I'm not much of a "shipper", but the romantic storyline between Sawyer and Kate was done very well. Much better than in the 3rd season I believe. But for me, the best part was Miles' odd conversation with Ben. Why does he want exactly 3.2 million? Who Ben is? Is Ben using the island mainly to hide? Maybe, afterall, Ben isn't that connected to the island as he claims. Another scene I thought was incredible... well, Locke's and Miles'. I've never seen that grenade trick before, and I wouldn't have thought that it'd be Lost where I see it first. 24, maybe. Lost, no way. It was awesome! Such a badass moment for John. The beach storyline was good. I loved the Sun/Jin moment at the beginning. I think it sets up their flashforward. Also,Charlotte calling the boat... I got goosebumps. The helicopter never arrived on the freighter. So I guess next episode's going to be "helicopter-centric". I can't wait.

But before jumping to the next episode, let's see the flashforward...

It was good. It dragged at times, but it was good. First of: Evangeline Lilly is beautiful. I mean, wow. Secondly... the ending. Amazing. Such an emotional moment turned into a shocking revelation within about 2 seconds. I didn't really see it coming, although I had my suspicion when I saw that Kate's "son" has blonde hair. This raises many questions, but first and foremost: What happened to Claire? Was Desmond's vision wrong? Did Desmond lie? Did Claire die in the future?

The scene with Kate and her mother was very moving too, but unfortunately, some of the court scenes were "meh". Jack's testemony was interesting, though. He claims only 8 people survived the crash, and 2 died later on -- that'd be the O6. Obviously they're forced to lie. Overall, great episode, but it didn't advance the main storyline much.moreless

Great comeback!

By VGFreak8, May 14, 2008

Kate has flashfowards to when she is on trial for all the crimes she committed before the crash. Jack testifies as a character witness. He lies about life on the island to make Kate look good. Kate has a son...named Aaron.

Kate and Miles make a deal. Miles will tell Kate any information he knows about her, if she gets him to talk to Ben for 1 minute. She asks Sawyer for help and they plan it. Locke falls for the trick. Miles and Ben talk and Miles offers to lie to his people on the ship if Ben can get him some money (like 3.2 million or something like that). Jin has improved in his English. Dan has a strange remembering problem that Charlotte is helping him with. Sayid and Desmond have not made it to the freighter yet. Locke banishes Kate, so she goes back to the beach after sleeping with Sawyer.

This episode was great! The ending was so mysterious! If it's Claire's baby Aaron, then that is really weird. I like Miles! He's so funny! I can't believe what Locke did to him with the grenade and everything. This episode gets a 10 out of 10 from me!moreless

WOW...

By Kadodian, May 10, 2008

In this episode Kate gets Miles out to talk to Ben because he promised her if they talked then he will tell her what he knows about her. After Miles gets his meeting with Ben. Turns out he will lie to his people and tell them that Ben is dead if Ben transferrs 3.2 million dollars to his account. Ben catches Kate and Miles even though Sawyer tried to stop him. On other events : Jack tries to contact the plane all day but he couldn't. When he gets help from Charlotte she calls the emergency number and they find out that the helicopter never left the island. We see Kate flashforwards. When she was put on trial, her mother was going to testifiy against her but in the end she didn't so Kate was free. When she goes home to her son we see a blonde baby which isn't possible and she calls him Araon. Very good episode. It was exciting. I think the two main questions raised in this episode where : Where is the helicopter that took Sayid and Jin ? Why did Kate call her baby Araon ? I loved the flashforwards. They were really intense. The acting was also fantastic. There was some powerful dialogue between Kate and Sawyer and some hot scenes aswell. What I didn't like about this episode was why the whole episode was concentrated on Kate, Jack and Locke. This season is about these three characters. Even Sawyer who was supposed to be an important character is getting smaller parts and Juliet barley said two lines in this episode and Sun says a few things and just disappears. Favorite character from this episode : Kate !!! I loved her flashforwards. Hottest character from this episode : Kate !!! She seriousley looked amazing. Great stuff !!!moreless

Load More Reviews