He's Our You

Episode Reviews (34)

Superb

ben vs sayid

By ashelovesjacob, Aug 13, 2012

Why doesn't Ben remember Sayid, he was shot by him in childhood!!!?

More pain and torture leading to a brutal death --- right?

By DavidB226Morris, Aug 15, 2010

Sayid has always been, in my mind, the most fascinating character of the original cast. Locke's stories have been more emotional, and Kate's have been more revealing, but Sayid's work because of the contradictory parts of his nature--- at once a very brutal and ruthless man (we see as much in the scene where he cold-bloodedly kills the last man on Ben's list after the first commercial break), yet compassionate and loving at the same time. As we see as we finally learn the reasons why Sayid was on Ajira 316, that's the part that got him into trouble.

In all his flashbacks, we've never gotten a clear picture about Sayid's family. In 'He's Our You' we get little more than a glimpse, but it's enough to tell us everything. His father tried to force his brother to kill something to prove his manhood. Feeling compassion for him, he hugs his brother, and snaps the neck of a chicken. When his father praises his brother, he quickly credits Sayid, and his father says "At least one of you will be a man." Sayid is a torturer. He says that he doesn't like hurting people, and what we know about his past, that's true. But Ben has him pegged right, too --- "he's capable of doing things that other people can't do," and given what we saw him do ever since he got off the island, that's also true. We have no idea how many people Sayid ended up killing for Ben --- dozens, at least--- but he seemed able to compartmentalize, even when the pain was deep. What finally caused him to hate Ben is very simple--- after the killing, we see in this episode, Ben turns to him and simply says: "You're done," and has the gall to say "Get on with your life." The fact is Ben used Sayid like he used so many other people, and then, after all the horrors he put him through, had the nerve to use a murder (which we now know he committed himself) to play the exact same trick on Sayid to get him involved in the first place.

Sayid no doubt left the rest of the Oceanic 6 planning never to see any of them again, but then he decided to get drunk (on McCutcheon's, no less). Then he happened to meet Ilana, who basically played the same act on him that Elsa did in 'The Economist'--- run into him accidentally, run a short con, and then reveal that she was working for the enemy. In actuality, Ilana was not working for the law or for Ben, but she still had an idea when she took him on that plane that they were going to end up on the island.

The only member of the passengers who would have violently resisted getting on that plane, he no doubts doesn't understand why he was supposed to come back Then he was served lunch by a young Ben Linus. Four years after he ran into the jungle and met with Richard (who really cleaned himself up in 1974, based on 'The Man Behind the Curtain) he is still being very patient. Nevertheless, he seems to be a kind, compassionate child, who is being horribly abused by a brutal father. Maybe another character--- Hurley or Kate, who have seen Ben's sufferings and thought maybe he could be redeemed. Sayid doesn't see it that way, and when you consider that this Ben had no problem lighting a Dharma bus on fire and driving it into the compound, with no concern for anyone else's well being, he probably has a point. The Ben we know had no room in his heart for innocent bystanders, and this one doesn't seem to either.

So now Sayid seems to have one purpose--- the only reason he could have been sent to the past--- is to kill Ben before he becomes the monster that we all know. Considering that this is basically the execution of a fourteen-year old boy, it's amazing that the fanbase, never mind the censors, were okay with this. But then again, they know Ben the way we do. However, here's the question that makes no sense: if Sayid really thought his purpose was to kill Ben, why didn't he finish the job? Hell, he's ex-military, he knows you always go for the head shot. Instead, he shot Ben in the chest, and as we know from past experience, that doesn't necessarily kill. Was there some part of him that, in the end, blanched at killing an innocent man? Did the heart that got him into so much pain--- with his brother, with Shannon, with Elsa--- betray one more time? Given what we saw, sure looks that way.

We seem to be getting a better feeling of the Dharma Initiative with each episode, and this one reveals that they weren't exactly noble themselves. They seemed more than willing to allow the exile of their own, and didn't have much problem with enforced interrogation. (Which leads us to the weakest part of the episode: Oldham. While I'm glad to see William Sanderson in just about anything, for all the buildup we got--- and considering how afraid of him everyone seems--- I expected him to do more than just put a solution in a sugar cube and force it down Sayid's throat. I mean, it worked, but still...) And in many ways, they seemed more of a democracy than the Others or the Oceanic bunch ever did--- though it wasn't much of one, with the weasel-like Radzinsky again stampeding the opinion that Sayid saw his precious Swan, and now he must die. And 'LaFleur' seems more than willing to let all this go on to protect the little patch of grass he's currently maintaining with Juliet. Juliet, however, has clearly begun to think that her time with James is about to reach and it. James may think she's worried about losing their home; he still doesn't see much more than that. After shooting Ben, Sayid has a noticeable grimace of pain before running off into the night. But the question is: running where? There's no safety for him in the jungle, anymore than there was protection among the Dharma folk. But then, as we've come to realize the more we learn about him, Sayid has always been a prisoner, always been alone And he doesn't believe redemption for him is possible, if he ever did. He thinks once again, that he's done. But is he? Is it possible than once again he misunderstood his purpose? Ben's last words to Sayid were: "You're a killer," as if he never forgot the last words Sayid spoke to him after shooting him. Was Sayid here to slay the dragon, or to make sure that it was born? And now that he has, will he stay around longer to find out?

My score:9moreless

By milo76, Jul 17, 2010

Could someone explain me?? I still don't get why the Ocean six should go back. Everything was OK on the Island after Lock left, for 3 years!! (No flashes, no bloody noses, no flying arrows, Looove) Everybody seemed comfortable on his role at Dharma, now that Ocean five (where are Desmond and Aaron?) are back, they are treated like unwanted guests, weren't they the savers??!! Lock died to bring them back and I still don't see the point, I really hope to see why they should go back before season end, otherwise, I'll be really disappointed.

By the way, off course that Sawyer thinks more than Jack, He lives in a house with a pretty blond girlfriend who cooks for him. Jack lived in the beach, always dealing with Ben, Lock, the smoke monster, Widmore's assassins. NO time for reading, time for action (or reaction)!! That's why I just answered to Sawyer "OK".moreless

SWEET SHOW PPLS!!!!!...

By webizoid345, Jul 17, 2010

SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of the best episodes.Like the time Sun PRETENDED to trust Ben but ended up whacking him in the back of the head with an oar!Though I'm sad that Sun and Jin are seperated.:[And she though he was dead.....and Jack,Hurley,Kate,and the rest of them joining the Derma Initiative?Wacky!!I give it an A+!!!!And Sayid [however you spell it]was found and Sawyer had to pretend he was a savage or something!!!I cant wait for the next episode!As my classification says "Exactly why I watch this series!"I hope no one disagrees with me [but you still can, I'm not forcing you]and I hope they enjoyed it!moreless

This Season 5 has been THE BEST season I've ever watched of television thus far. Yes, that is how strongly I feel about how terrific this season has been. I will confidently say that this season has been wonderful. Except for tonight's episode.

By CaptainFreedom3, Jul 17, 2010

You know, I have watched this show since the pilot episode. I have never missed a new episode, and I consider myself a tremendous fan of LOST. I know anyone who reads this will feel the same. Well, at least I believe that to be true.

This Season 5 has been THE BEST season I've ever watched of television thus far. Yes, that is how strongly I feel about how terrific this season has been. I will confidently say that this season has been consistently wonderful. Except for tonight's episode.

Now, please let me explain why, without other users here simply marking my ranking of this episode as a 'thumbs-down' simply because they LOVE LOST and would never give an episode anything less than a perfect score, because, well, that would hurt this amazing show's overall score here on this website. But if we all rate each episode as PERFECT, than what are we truly judging? If anyone says that "LaFleur" or "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham" aren't in the top 10 episodes of the show ever, then they aren't true fans. That is simply the truth. Those episodes are absolute 10s in every regard. "Namaste" last week? Pretty damn good, too. On to tonight's episode - it was disappointing. How could it not be after how amazing this season has been! I adore Sayid, but this episode did NOTHING to advance how amazing this season has been. It flat-lined, in many ways. It was almost boring at times, which I can only ever say about a few other episodes ever. I LOVE this show, but I honestly think the TRUE fans of this show, who have followed it devoutly from the beginning and genuinely adore the characters, KNOW that this episode was poor. I cannot (as always) wait for next week's episode. It cannot help but be a huge improvement upon this week. Even the ending, as all of us true fans know, was a joke. We know Ben lives on. I wish the writers and producers would stop trying to make us feel like idiots - we DO know the score!moreless

Anyone ever heard of a time paradox...

By BrushYourTeeth, Jul 17, 2010

Stay away if you don't want tonight's superb episode ruined for you.

I liked how they filled in the pieces of Sayid that lead up to Ajira Flight 316. Most noticeably was the part were Sayid was "arrested" by a bounty hunter who had been hired by a family of a man he had killed during his time working for Ben. Those people lived in Guam and that's how Sayid got on the plane on the first place. It was pretty funny to see his face as he started seeing Hurley, Jack, Kate, and Sun...but the look he gave Ben was priceless (as seen in the episode 316).

As for in 1977, Sawyer tried his hardest to get Sayid out of trouble, but a vote lead to the decision for Sayid to be killed after he had been "tortured" and revealed he knew way to much. It was in that torture scene that Sayid figured out his purpose to be back on the Island. What a purpose it was...

As of tonight, Sayid decided to create a time paradox but shooting young Ben...as for young Ben being dead...can't really be sure, but Sayid hit him in the heart. But he can't be dead because that would screw everything up...unless everything is supposed to be screwed up....AAAHHHHHmoreless

If you could go back in time and kill Hitler would you? Lost attempts to answers this hypothetical... With flaming vans!

By RobGrizz, Jul 17, 2010

Sayid is my favorite character on the show. But I'll be the first to say this is the first Sayid-centric episode that didn't really grab me.

The most familiar element was in the flashback of the lover that really turned out to be a trained killer. We saw this in S4's The Economist. The only difference here is that now he got caught. Unfortunately, there's no suspense this time around because we already know she'll have him handcuffed and on the plane from previous episodes. This was mostly just filler, explaining how Sayid got from not working with Ben to extreme home makeover, to back on the plane. Necessary info, but normally, even the backstories provide some sort of surprise. In the main story, DHARMA is still figuring out what to do with their prisoner, who they assume to be a "hostile." This is not unlike S2 when it was Ben who was captured and assumed to be an "other." The twist in fate here is that little Ben wants Sayid to take him back to the Others with him.

Now this is a bit interesting. The kid, of course, is referring to back when Richard Alpert confronted him. And Sayid is faced with the monster that will become Ben Linus. If you could go back in time and kill baby Adolf Hitler would you? Sayid does, in the final moments of the show (and honestly, its THE shocker that saves this episode) he guns down the kid and escapes captivity! Of course this immediately raises the question from Daniel Faraday (and Back to the Future) of what happens if you change the past? Assuming Ben isn't dead, not much. But if he is, we'll find out next week!

Oh, and "He's Our You" refers to a member of DHARMA that extracts information from hostiles. That's it. No big revelations here. Really? I guess the idea was to put Sayid in a poetic justice-like situation where he's on the receiving end (they did this already, too- in S3's Enter 77) Except DHARMA's guy is not really like Sayid because he doesn't torture anyone. Didn't really see the parallels here, and I certainly didn't think it was worth naming an episode after.moreless

Plot moving

By adedyal, Jul 17, 2010

Does anyone not get it yet! people who have reviewed this episode so far think it is just filler and they do not understand why the oceanic 6 needed to go back to the Island. But here is the kicker Ben knew to save the island he had to be banished from the island, when he moved it he cried because he knew he had to leave a place he loved, he let his daughter die because he did not want to leave. Charles Whidmore left to save the island he loved (maybe that is how Ben conned him to do it). So these season 4 and 5 flashforward/flashbacks show Ben manipulate the Oceanic 6 because he needed them to get back to the Island he hitched a ride he used them! Ben has lied and lied and lied so that he could get back to the island he killed locke because the oceanic six would have asked why do we need Ben wne locke told them how to get back and so once he found out who knew how to get back to the Island Ben lied to get there for himself and his purposes. Remember when he was speaking to whidmore in his bedroom he said the race is on to find a way back to the island well Ben won that Race. Ben is nothing without the Island just that pathetic boy with daddy issues but on the island he is king, savior of the others. Maybe the oceanic six needed to go back we do not know their mission yet but one thing is for sure if ben went on his own on that flight he would never make it back.moreless

Lost is great show. didn't like this episode as much as the other episodes of this season but it was still a LOSt show so it was good and deserves a 10.

By ajk021992, Jul 17, 2010

How shocking was the end? dang! Beastly. but I ask some questions from watching this episode.... * What happened to Ben after he was shot? * Where does Sayid go next after shooting Ben? * Who was responsible for the burning DHARMA bus? * Who would Horace Goodspeed contact in Ann Arbor? * How does Ilana know Sayid was responsible for the death of Peter Avellino? I cant wait till next episode!. I accidently read some of the things that are going to happen on the upcoming episodes. and Holy crap they are insane this show is going to get Awesome.moreless

A Sayid-centric episode.

By Writer2000, Jul 17, 2010

Let me just start off by saying that all things considered, I really enjoyed this episode, but I definitely didn't love everything about it. Although, I've never been the biggest fan of Sayid-centric episodes. I did enjoy the reveals that this episode featured about the missing pieces of Sayid's life. My favorite storyline from this episode was definitely Sawyer's. Sawyer has always been one of my favorite characters on the show, but I have to say that I absolutely loved him in this episode. I have been loving Sawyer's storyline this season. This episode was definitely extremely exciting. I loved the ending of this episode, and I definitely didn't see what happened at the end of the episode at all. In closing, I really enjoyed this episode, but I didn't love everything about it like I said earlier, and I can't wait to see the next episode of Lost.moreless

Load More Reviews