Ji Yeon

Episode Reviews (75)

Superb

By BevinChu, Feb 13, 2013

With this episode, the Sun/Jing love affair rivals the Penelope/Desmond love affair in heart-break.

Yet again, the writers on Lost exemplify why this show will never ever EVER reach the high standards of other shows and will always be a perrenial underachiever

By asl9791, Jun 10, 2012

Firsly i would like to question how people can say that this episode was any good at all. Though it was not the worst episode of the show to date it wasn't far off. I dont really see why the show took the direction of the flash forwards as to me it doesnt seem too necessary and has removed part of the mystery of Lost. Anyway on to this episode.

I can sum up what happened in one word. Nothing! Considering there were only 8 shows filmed pre the strike this is a worry what the final ep recorded is brining. There was a total waste of on screen time whilst we were watching Jin chase the panda, yes we all thought he was going to see Sun. But it would have made no difference had we seen him running around at all. It was just a useless ploy to waste time on the episode, as it was revealed at the end he was dead anyway so why all the run around. Other than the fact Jin was dead the only thing that was found out is that Michael is on the boat, which anyone should have guessed about 3 weeks ago if not more. One of the most obvious plot lines ever written!

The use of a whole episode to show us that Sun has a baby and Jin is dead and introducing michael on the boat is just a joke and makes a mockery of us as the watching public. Now we know what happens in the future to Sun and Jin why bother to show us any more about them at all, it serves no purpose to us. The same can be said for Kate in Eggtown, we now know she is off the island and she has essentially got away without a prison term. So what if she has Aaron. The ineptitude of people to think these things through and essentially end the development of characters who have been key to the show as a whole just outlines the inferiority of this show compared with the likes of Heroes, Prison Break etc. if you ask why i still watch, its because there is nothing else on tv at the moment and i being that i have watched this much i will be frustrated if i miss the one episode where the writers show a glimmer of sense and make use of ths onscreen time with something actually happening worth a 45 minute watchmoreless

We have lost our Constant.

By gsager1, Nov 28, 2011

I feel robbed.

For over 2 seasons we've been waiting for the return of Michael, and this is how they reward us? With one of the most telegraphed reveals in the show's history? No subtlety. Huge hints all along the way (anyone who hadn't already figured out that he was Ben's man certainly would have gotten it by any of the hints tonight). And then that long walk down the hallway... not a dramatic reintroduction, not even a shocking one, just an anticlimactic walk where we could tell who that janitor was long before he had reached Sayid and Desmond. Then there was Sun. Tonight she had all the complexity and depth of a sheet of paper. Suddenly, after deceiving Jin for years, she simply refuses to lie, even to protect herself or her child? She has no emotion, no authentic motivation, and even her slap at Juliette seemed to lack any real feeling. If you didn't already dread Sun/Jin-centric episodes you certainly have reason to now.

And I have to mention the rules of filmmaking that were violated tonight. Yes, Lost has managed to get us to suspend disbelief more than most shows can, and has convinced us to accept that we can travel both forwards and backwards in time (and don't get me wrong, the flash forwards and flashbacks have had their moments of true greatness), but having a combined flash-forward-flashback intercut scene is a bridge too far. How are we ever to believe that what we are seeing is really what we are seeing? I can just imagine a scene with Jack standing on the beach talking, facing left, and Locke standing at the barracks, facing right, and the editors cutting it so that it looks like they are talking to each other. You can get us to suspend any disbelief, but we need to have certain film conventions to hold onto, or we simply won't be able to follow along without feeling like we've been conned. We, like Desmond, need our Constant.

And tonight, Lost threw away her phone number.moreless

A Jin/Sun flashback/forward episode that also informs us of what is happening on the boat. I enjoyed most of the episode because it felt like a season 1 story, but there were some elements that bothered me.

By fweak, Apr 12, 2010

Let us start as the episode did, with the flash-forward where Sun is in a hospital giving birth. But what they do next is try to trick us, because we also see Jin traveling to a hospital and shopping for a Panda Bear. This part of the story bothered me, there were just too many clues that Jin was not there with Sun during that time (the biggest of which is that she is the last of the Oceanic 6). Their story on the island focuses on their decision to go with Locke or to stay with Jack and try and get off the island. The more interesting portion of this episode takes place on Mr. Widmore's boat where Sayid and Desmond finally get their meeting with the captain. The captain is very blunt and straightforward during their discussion and reveals to them: the owner of the boat, their reason for being sent to the island, information about the Oceanic Flight 815 crash cover-up and that someone has sabotaged the boat causing them to drift closer to the island. As if all of this info wasn't interesting enough, we finally discover that Ben's rat on the boat is none other than Michael!

In the end this episode feels like a first season story tweaked with season 4's flash-forwards and new characters.moreless

A two for one combo that deals a blow to the heart

By DavidB226Morris, Apr 04, 2010

You knew, given the way the writers on Lost think, that they were going to find a way to put a flashback and a flashforward in the same episode, which is exactly what happens here, though they don't show their hand to the end (and frankly, by the last scene, you're praying that they're not going to). And it makes a horrible kind of sense that it would involve our favorite couple, Jin and Sun. A lot has come between them over the past three seasons and in all the flashbacks of their history. But in 'Ji Yeon', they seem to finally find a way to get past it, only to end up separated by the largest divide of all. But let's take this step by step.

Sun and Jin have now realized what everyone else has--- that this freighter does not mean rescue--- and now they've decided, despite the risks, to defect to Locke's camp. (As it turns out, that decision could've gotten them killed right then, but then every day's a picnic on the island.). But Juliet, in a move that seems more desperate than calculated, breaks her oath, and reveals Sun's affair to Jin. Because Jin by necessity wears such a stoic mask, it's hard to tell just how devastating this news is to him. But we get a very good idea when he goes fishing with Bernard, who we haven't seen in a bit. Bernard then does something that no one else on this island has done--- he reveals something secret to another castaway, in this case, telling Jin about Rose's cancer and how she believes that she's cured. He then says the reason they stayed with Jack was because he was a murderer, and that it would be bad karma for them to stay. It's hard to know how much Jin understands, but we know from his own words (way back in 'Exodus') that he believes being on this island is his punishment for his cruel behavior while working for Mr. Paik.

So Jin does one of the most beautiful things of all the characters on the series--- he forgives Sun for her affair. Hell, he even tries to wear some of the guilt as his own, because he knows what a horrible man he became. (Of course, he doesn't know why he ended up working for Mr. Paik, but that's beside the point). So he tells Sun that they will try to find a way off this island, and they will escape.

Now admittedly, there've been signs that the flashes involving Jin and Sun were of different times--- Jin had a monster of a cell phone in his flashes, Sun's refusal to let the doctor remove her wedding the ring, the way the doctors seemed to know by their celebrity status that Jin was dead--- but even knowing all that (or, for that matter, knowing what's going to happen in Season 5) doesn't mean that the final scene is any less gutwrenching. Seeing Sun reduced to her more devastated ,ode, even as she holds Jin's child, is one that is heartbreaking. What makes it even sadder is that after the birth of her child, the gentle and compassionate Sun we've come to know and love, will all but disappear. In her place will come someone crueler and colder, someone--- well, let's be honest--- is a lot like her father Right now, we're not sure why, but there's got to be a reason that Hurley was the only member of the Oceanic 6 to come see her after Ji Yeon's birth (and why he was so glad not to see any of his friends). What we're not sure of is when and how Jin died, and if the Oceanic 6 are lying about his dying in the crash.

Speaking of which, we now know who they are---- Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, Sun, and Aaron. The problem is this leaving a gap in Jack's story big enough to fly a plane through when he said at Kate's trial that only eight people survived the crash. How does that make Aaron--- who must have been born before the survivors were rescued--- one of the people who survived. Yes, they say Kate managed to cut him off at the trial, but I'm not entirely sold on that either. This may be a continuity error that never gets explained.

Meanwhile, on the freighter, Sayid and Desmond are learning that things are actually a lot worse than they thought. They meet the captain of the boat, who seems particular nasty (but then, maybe he's just a little concerned about how the members of his crew are dying right and left), and who seems more than willing to tell them what they want to know. He reveals that this is Charles Widmore's ship (I don't know how Desmond managed to maintain even a moderate level of calm when he learned this) and that the wreckage of flight 815 was found on the ocean floor. Then he reveals that they found 324 dead bodies on the freighter, and that they believe the man responsible is Ben. Unfortunately, all of this is thrown into disbelief when they received a note that says "Don't believe the captain." So now Widmore is saying Ben's responsible, and Ben is blaming Widmore (though they don't know it yet) Both of these men already seem like monsters, but which ones do we believe?

Oh, and we finally find out who Ben's man on the boat, though honestly, we should've figured it out a lot sooner. Considering that Harold Perrineau has been listed as a cast member for the last six episodes, but we haven't seen hide nor hair of him--- even in the flashforwards. So when the doc calls for Kevin Johnson, and we finally see that this is in fact Michael, it's probably the biggest anticlimax this series will ever produce. What makes it even harder to believe is why Michael--- who sold his soul to get off the island--- would be willing to do anything to get back here. I will say this, though: From what we see of Michael's face, he looks like he hasn't gotten a decent night's sleep in a very long time.

Well, we're getting answers but they're not very neat ones. But that we can live without for now. What is more pertinent is that it appears that death is going to separate our favorite couple on the island. And that even that might not be enough to keep them apart.

My score: 8moreless

Good episode, with good details and emotions, but fails to be a great episode!!!!

By Dante_Edy, Jul 16, 2009

Plot Details/Objective -» This episode follows the same example of the previous one, guess who is the other female character that is not one of the strongest characters? Lost producers decided to make Sun Centric episode now, since after this, will we have the so awaited danger and deaths that we are waiting for. There was another clever move that the writers did, when they present that Captain on the freighter and now we have is side of explanations.

What I Like/Disliked -» Sun flash forward´s was boring, only the ending scenes was very good The writers tricked me. The Captain point of View was interesting to ear. Michael is back and this revelation was predictable.

Overall:

Presentation -» (5/10). Don´t really know why they tried to hide with the cameras sun pregnancy, you can guess that she is out of the island because of the camera angle form the beginning.

Complication Phase -» (7/10). Was interesting when Juliet told the truth to Jin. The set of complication was interesting when the Captain of the freighter have its own explanations.

Climax -» (8/10). The writers tricked the audience with an flashback. How Jin forgive Sun is beautiful, and show how his character has evolved.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (9/10)The Last scene of this episode is sad, but it's not conclusive.

Flash-forward's -» (10/10). People are reclaiming that the flash forward´s was boring, but when Jack has a flash forward´s in the season 3 finale, everyone forgot how boring his FF was, just because of the Ending, and Sun FF is no different, is boring, yes, but how the writers trick you and the last emotional scenes which is very sad, put this FF at the same level has Jack FF.

Time and Scenes Management -» (6/10). Explanation that you already heard before, Sun FF buying as much time as possible, the same with Jin, of course, with a nice objective, still, when you are watching you notice pretty well.

Dialogues -» (7,5/10). The dialogues were great, you don´t have too much insignificant conversations.

Action /Adventure -»None.

Drama/Emotions -» (9/10). The last FF scene is not conclusive, but it's a very sad one. Only lost for Charlie death.

Suspense/Tension -» (5/10). Couldn´t notice.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (8/10). One more Oceanic Six revealed. Michael is back, even if this was predictable, was nice to see him back and what he have to offer will be great to see in his flashbacks. The Captain reveals enough, but there are minor hints that indicates that this is not all the truth.

Surprise/Twists -» (8/10). Nothing that you didn´t Know, only Jin faith was a nice surprise and a Sad one for Now.

Thoughts Changer -» (9/10). The writers will trick you easily.

Good episode, can be great for some people, and for other can be good only. I think that this episode is near to be considered great and that it is way I rate it 7,7.moreless

Phenomenal.

By RobGrizz, Jan 11, 2009

Desmond and Penny maybe the more popular love story, but it's Sun and Jin that are my favorite couple. Here in Ji Yeon, the writers do something brilliant with the structure of the story that the could never have done in any other season. The ending really tore me apart- if there was ever a time I would have cried watching the show, it would be in this episode. What's heart wrenching is that the couple has finally come full circle in their arc, and their marital issues are finally resolved. Jin does not turn violent when he learns of Sun's great betrayal, he forgives her.moreless

A Sun/Jin-centric episode.

By Writer2000, Sep 15, 2008

All things considered,I absolutely loved this episode since Jin and Sun are two of my favorite characters on the show. I really enjoyed the flash forwards of Sun's life when she gets off the island. I thought that they were very interesting. I also enjoyed the flashbacks of Jin's life. I was glad to see that Juliet was heavily involved in Jin and Sun's story line since she's another one of my favorite characters on the show. I can't believe that Juliet told Jin about Sun's affair with another man or that Sun slapped Juliet. I really enjoyed the scene between Jin and Bernard when they talk about marriage. In closing, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost from everyone involved, and I can't wait to watch the rest of season four of Lost.moreless

Duality.

By PabloExobar, Aug 25, 2008

At first I thought: what a waste of a Sun/Jin flashforward. Showing Jin running through the town with a stupid panda(twice...) and Sun struggling with baby birth. Nothing exciting here.

Nothing exciting? Make sure you don't miss the last 10 minutes. The Jin parts were FLASHBACKS!!! I didn't see that twist coming. The ending was incredibly emotional and well done. I can't believe how the writers tricked me once again. Masterful... Sun grieving over Jin's grave with Ji Yeon(her baby) and Hurley... don't tell me that wasn't one of the most powerful and meaningful scenes of Lost to date. Just shows how much this show evolved during the 3 seasons. The island story - Sun's was, as expected somewhat slow and uninteresting.I thought her plan to go to Locke's camp was doomed from start, so it wasn't suspensful at all. However I liked when Juliet spilled the beans about Jae Lee to Jin only to make him force Sun to stay.

Jin was incredibly awesome this episode. I really love how his character was developed, and how warm he is now learning english, treating his wife with proper respect. What made the island story what it is is the boat storyline. What exactly is going on? The boat staff is commiting suicide one by one. Creepy, the writers sure have alot of 'splaining to do!

And, the spy is revealed. Kevin Johnson aka Michael. No big surprises here, but it was done much better than I thought it'd be done. Overall, if the Michael twist wasn't so obvious, and Sun's island plot wasn't as predictable, this would've been easily a 10. This way, "only" a 8.moreless

Sad

By VGFreak8, May 25, 2008

Sun has flashfowards to the birth of her beautiful baby girl named Ji Yeon. She visits Jin's grave with Hurley.

Jin has flashbacks to when he was trying to complete a mission from Sun's father.

Sun wants to go to Locke's camp, but Juliet doesn't want Sun to leave because pregnant women die on the island. Juliet reveals to Jin that Sun had an affair. Jin and Sun make up. Jin wants to name the baby, Ji Yeon. On the ship, Desmond and Sayid meet the captain. They also meet Kevin Johnson or as they know him, Michael.

This episode was great! The ending was so sad. I don't want Jin to die. It was weird seeing Michael again. I want to know why he's on that boat! This episode gets a 10 out of 10!moreless

Load More Reviews