LaFleur

Episode Reviews (52)

Superb

LaFleur are you really Sawyer?

By Nightrider09, Aug 19, 2011

We start of in the past with the remaining surviors (Sawyer, Juliet, Miles, Jin and Daneil). It is the 1960's and the DARMAH people are on the island and seem to be having problems with the Others (Just like everyone else)

a DARMAH couple gets attacked by two Others and Sawyer and Juliet come two the rescue guns blazing like a hot bada** couple, saddly the man dies and his girlfrend tricks her heros and knocks them out.

We meet the head of DARMAH Horace Godspeed (the biggest hippie I've ever seen, but it is the 60's) who questions Sawyer about how he and his people got to the island - Because according to the info they got from the DARMAH girl sawyer is the groups leader. Sawyer uses his talents as a lieing con artist to deliver a convinceing story that he and his friends were shipwrecked and his name is James LaFleur.Before their fate can be decided Richard the ageless elder of the Others shows up as result of the two Others that Sawyer and Juliet killed. Godspeed prepares for battle (wierd for a hippie) But Sawyer stops him by offering to talk to Richard and telling him that all blame goes to him and since he is not DARMAH this should prevent a war.Once again Sawyer uses his con artist skills and his time travel experinec to convince Richard to back if they hand over the dead DARMAH guys body which doesn't sit well with his girlfriend. Sawyer's attacks save's the group and they have been working with the DARMAH folks for 3 years.

Sawyer's transformation in this episode, no in this seires is amazing.He is agreat leader (although he really is the only one left for this job sinceMiles isno leader, Dan is still crushed over the death ofhis one true love, Juliet isgetting over the fact that she's back in the island Subburbs were she had been for the past 4 ears, and Jin has a langue barrier thing)Now Sawyer or rather James LaFleur is head of security and second in command; Miles is his Lackie, Juliet is his lover and a mechanic, Jin works security as well and speacks perfect english (ABOUT TIME). Sawyer is respected and feared by the DARMAH folks now I can get fearing Sawyer but to Respect him-But then again he has eraned it.

Sawyer seems to be letting go of the past as he is now going by his first real name "James" for the first time in the series.He also seemed to feel sorry for thedead DARMAH gus girlfriend when she gave his body to the Others.

He and Juliet make a great couple, and they really seem to connet and trust each other (something that would have been inpossible to think aboutback in season 3) proff of this is how Sawyer convinces her to stay on the island with him, and deliver a baby something she swore of doing due to her failures after coming to the island.Oddly enough Sawyer and Juliet have been living a lie for 3 years and still maintained a great relationship, while Jack and Kaite lived a lie for 3 years and they completly fell apart.

All in all best Sawyer cetric episode ever!!!!!!moreless

We finally end up in a familiar place, and someone gets a new name and a new job

By DavidB226Morris, Aug 02, 2010

We've been dealing with time travel a lot on Lost, but we haven't dealt with the emotional part of time travel. In the main action of the first four seasons of the show, a hundred days passed. During the fourth season, we went through a period of flashforwards, where we saw bits of the next three years through the eyes of the Oceanic 6 plus Ben. Basically what's been happening on the island the first half of Season 5 is time travel, though we're never going to be sure how it was certain people managed to move through time, while the island stayed in the same place. But when Locke pushed the Unfrozen Donkey Wheel, the island seems to have made one more huge jump --- and finally stopped moving. But as Dan puts it, "We're just not on the song we want to be on."

That Dan is able to make any coherence of this at all is a miracle. He's a yammering wreck when we first see him --- he barely had seconds to react to Charlotte's death, and now somehow her body has not traveled with them. For the rest of the episode, he's a shell of himself, barely able to speak coherently. Somebody has to take over and lead--- and now that would seem to be Sawyer.

Sawyer--- or we might as well start calling him James, because that's pretty much who he's going to be in the eyes of everybody for the rest of the season--- has made the furthest emotional journey of pretty much everyone on the island. He was utterly reprehensible for much of the shows first three season, but there were patches of light throughout. He seemed to be headed to darkness at the end of Season 3, when he killed Cooper and then blew a hole in Tom after he surrendered. But in Season 4, he began to take a more heroic role, saving Claire from assassination, getting a group of people away from Locke, sacrificing his own rescue so that others could leave. Now, even though he's been dropped in the early seventies, he manages to find a way to improvise. The skills lying that he managed to acquire as a con man finally seem to be used in a positive way. He saves a woman from kidnapping, then manages to sell a story to the Dharma Initiative about who his people are and why they are here. It's hard not to compare this to what Jack did when the Oceanic 6 were rescued; the big difference is they follow him willingly, and manage to uphold the lie.

It's taken us two seasons, but we're finally back in the Dharma Initiative, led by that character we've seen glimpses of, Horace Goodspeed. This must be some kind of sustained nightmare for Juliet, considering how hard she wanted to get away from this particular block of housing, but she manages to hide it pretty well for the majority of the episode. If anything, she seems to have James' back for the moment he takes shots at the Others who try to kill Amy, and she holds in her inner knowledge about the island to the best of her ability. (It must have been kind of frustrating, after all that time in medical school, that's she now working as a mechanic, but then again, considering what being a fertility specialist was like in her stint as an other, maybe it's a relief that all she has to do is fix cars.)

Sawyer gives a modified story of himself as James LaFleur, which is a modified version of Rousseau's story, combined with the search for the Black Rock. This particular story manages to fool Horace, but all it does is guarantee that he and his friends get a trip on the sub at morning. (I've never understood why Miles and Juliet wanted to leave that bad. Even if they get off the island, it pretty much means they have to live in the seventies, a period which seems only mildly better than being stranded on the island in the present.) Then Richard Alpert (looking a lot neater than he did when we last saw him in this era, 'The Man Behind the Curtain') makes an appearance. Somehow, he got past the sonic fence that KO'd our heroes when they tried to walk through. He also states that while the fence keeps back many things, his people isn't one of them. Which does beg the question, why haven't the Others attacked by now? This question might be answered later.

James then walks up to Richard, and manages to convince him that he was responsible for the death of the man, and more importantly, that he's waiting for John Locke to come back. (It's pretty clear this surprises Richard, though he has a good poker face.) They work out an arrangement that leads to restoration of the status quo, and gets James some good will with Horace. He convinces Juliet to stay for two weeks, just like Ben managed to convince her to stay for six months.

Three years later, James has become the head of security for the whole Dharma Initiative. Everybody looks up to him; some people even fear him. For a man who once couldn't wait to get off this 'damn rock', he's finally got a position of security. (How long, it might well be asked, was he planning to keep it? Didn't he know about the Dharma Purge?) What's more, he seems to have gotten past the crush on Kate that was both liberating him and weighing him down, the whole time she was on the island. He now seems to be in love with Juliet, and they've got a domestic setup. He feels secure enough that when Horace, working off a hangover (which he used to nearly blow the place to smithereens) and asks him if it's possible to get over someone, he says, yes, you can.

But isn't James talking out of one side of his mouth? As we've heard from Jin (who, thank God, has finally managed to learn English by now) they've been doing grid searches of the island for three years, looking for signs of somebody. But why are they looking for Locke? The flashes have stopped; there's no danger of anyone dying. No, he's still remember what Locke told him back in 'The Little Prince''--- he's going to bring 'them' back. And for James, that means Kate. We saw in his eyes the moment he saw her in that moment where she helped Claire give birth to Aaron. She is the one that got away (though to be fair, he never really had her). And even though he's been with Juliet nearly ten times longer than he even knew Kate, when Jin calls and tells him that he's found them, he doesn't even hesitate before lying to Juliet about what's happened. He can't keep this a secret, he knows that, but he doesn't want to share her, not yet. And the expression that crosses his face the moment that Kate steps out of the Dharma van demonstrates that in this case, absence definitely has made the heart grow fonder.

Josh Holloway's work in this episode is superb, but he isn't the whole show. Jeremy Davies has to go through an even greater range of emotion in just a few hours. This is significant, because we won't be seeing Dan for a while now. Elizabeth Mitchell has always been good, but she was underutilized in Season 4. Here she regains her stride, particularly in the scene where she has to deliver a breech birth. The look of joy on her face when she finally manages to deliver a healthy, breathing boy into the world--- it's clearly one of the few really good things to happen to her on the island, and it shows. Reiko Aylesworth is very good as Amy, showing levels of emotion she was never quite allowed to dip into in all her years on 24, and Doug Hutchinson shows certain levels of... humanity, he's rarely been able to explore on any film or TV show he's been a part of it.

'LaFleur' (I have no idea what this name means to James; my guess is it's a maiden aunt of some kind) has been staying on the island, waiting and hoping 'his people' to come back. It took three years, and in that time, he's actually managed to do something Sawyer was never capable of--- build a life. The conflict between the two is going to be a huge part of the drama in the second half of Season 5. But that's about to become the smallest obstacle anybody in or out of the Dharma Initiative will have to face.

My score:9moreless

Great episode that explores more about the Dharma Initiative and the Hostles.

By Jancevicius, Jul 03, 2010

This was a very good episode. After the last two episodes that explored the Oceanic 6 and their journey back to the island, and Locke's adventure off the island as Jeremy Bentham and his reincarnation, we get to see what has happened to Sawyer, Juilet, Jin, Daniel, and Miles. After Locke stops the time shifts, they find themselves in the past, in 1974 were they will remain. As Faraday puts it, the record has stopped skipping, so they are not traveling through time anymore, but it is playing the wrong song, hence 1974. Sawyer is at the heart of this episode and he has found himself a new lady. The flashback/flashforward system is used to show what they experienced once Locke stopped the time shifts, as well as the present (which is 1977 for them) and what is currently happening on the island(1974-77). They are constantly searching and waiting for the Oceanic 6 return. This reunion, or half a reunion, is how the episode concludes. Also a nice, albeit, short glimpse of the four toed statue we first saw back in the season 2 finale.moreless

amazing once more

By deanevangeliou, Jul 03, 2010

just keeps getting better and better! we learn alot more about the dharma initiative and their history, we also catch a glmpse of what used to be the four toed statue! i thought that was cool and it gave me shivers. The moment where daniel sees young charlotte was intense, and it gave me goosebumps. Overall, i really loved this episode and sawyer is amazing. Hopefully i'll get used to the whole juliet and sawyer thing, ive always been a skate shipper, and i always wanted juleiot with jack, guess things dont go the way i want them to, but the ending was intense and i guess i was sort of disspointed that they didnt cover more of it and now we have to wait 2 whole weeks. BUT, im sure it will be worth the waitmoreless

Can we say, awesome?

By LetItBe1317, Jul 03, 2010

That is what I am talking about, for the second week in a row Lost, you have blown me away. The glimpse of the statue/idol was just a killer way to start it off. FINALLY we learn what has happend to our abandoned comrades for the last three years, and really they haven't been doing that bad. We learned how Daniel appeared in the Orchid (Season 4), we encountered Horace again, and the meeting between Richard and Sawyer... you couldn't HELP but sit there and smile and shake your head in awe. Now, being the chick that I am, the best part for me was the love that Sawyer and Juliet found in eachother. THANK GOD. This poor guy, I mean as terrible as he has been he finally got the girl. And this girl isn't running to his tent to bang him because Jack shared his spoon with Juliet. The smile he gave her after she saved the baby (*The 1st one ever to be concieved on the island under Juliet's care*) was nothing short of priceless. If Kate comes in to screw this up... This is in my top 5 best episodes of all time. Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.

AND, ONE quick question to sum this up. The submarine came back two weeks later from the day that Horace first wanted to ship them off. Is that the very trip that brings Ben to the island to begin with???!? Just a thought!!!moreless

You will have to watch the episode. You can watch it on abc.com.

By nwm2100, Jul 03, 2010

I have been a fan of lost since season 2, but the episodes this season have been garbage and confusing. Now I understand where the writers our trying to move the show. This was the best episode since season 3 finale. I still dont know where there are exactly going, but where ever it is I believe it will be good. Wasnt it great the see the statue again! I know true lost fans where excited to see that.I hvae a question though, please help me answer this. Why doesnt Richard know anything, but he seems to be ageless?

p.s. A war is coming, or maybe it already happened.moreless

LeFleur Brings In A New Dawn

By cavanagh15, Jul 03, 2010

Welcome to Lost for the forseeable future - stuck in the Dharma days as we get to know the mystery of the Dharma Inititive, a mystery that we have always wanted to know for the past couple of seasons. I was so happy in the beginning of the episode when we saw a full version of the statue, but then I laughed when I realized we weren't really going to see the full statue in this episode - only the backside of it. I have thought for a long time that the statue was going to be Richard Alpert - because it makes sense. However, I have recently read a theory regarding Daniel Faraday which seems like it could be pretty good. Very happy to see them show the full statue and even happier (now) not knowing what it is because the rest of the episode turned out to be fantastic, pulling in right behind "316" as number one for the season for me. I loved the Richard Alpert / Sawyer scene. Sawyer kind of takes his "Head of Security" role in this episode. I'm not sure if we will get more flashbacks to 1971 - 1974 or if that was kind of it. These are the kinds of things that the writers can decide and I'll be fine with either way. They could show some stories during the past three years or they could just go from here and use Kate and Hurley as the primary flashback devices in this time era. Another big scene that I predicted (and enjoyed) was the Juliet Sawyer being together three years into the future. Everyone kind of saw it coming as soon as Jack and Kate hooked up off the island. It made sense that Sawyer and Juliet would do something on the island, making it interesting when Jack and Kate get back. I loved Sawyer's "I don't even remember her face" line. He seems like he could be over her, but I expect a dark future for Juliet and Sawyer. It's really hard to imagine the time difference here. Sawyer knew Kate for 110 days before she left the island, which took up 4 seasons of show and its hard to make the connection that Juliet / Sawyer have been going at each other now for over 1000 days because we have only seen it in one episode. I do hope that Sawyer stays with Juliet, but I sense some fighting on the horizon over the return of Kate. Loved the explainations in the beginning by a very "out of it" Daniel Faraday. The island has stopped moving through time thanks to whatever Locke did down in the Donkey wheel area. Again - explained very well and acted out very well. Overall, blockbuster episode that I think really symbolizes the return of the season for me. I have a felling the second half is going to be far stronger then the first half as its more my LOST "style".moreless

Excellent, best damn show EVER!

By zedtaker, Jul 03, 2010

OMG what an episode....I LOVED every second of it. If anyone has doubts about this show, they should slap themselves in the face becuase this show is unlike any other....its simply AMAZING! It's the most unique show out there....just the greatest show on earth (there's never gonna be another).

I won't give too much away but I just have to say one thing SPOILER (look away if you havent seen this ep).........

...the statue gave me goosebumps....OMG I had chills....if you are dying to see the four toed statue then you will get a glimpse of it. This episode was pure brilliance.moreless

Lost keeps on rocking...

By JBentham, Jul 03, 2010

Fantastic episode again. Sort of a "re-premiere". Now that all the time anomaly is gone, the left-behinders are stuck in the Dharma era. Fantastic way to tell the Dharma story, I must say. While we didn't actually see the inner workings of Dharma this time, or any stations, it wasn't really missing. A good character driven story, with lots of focus on Sawyer and Juliet.

To me, the 3 biggest highlights:

-The statue

-Richard entering the barracks

-Juliet and Sawyer kissing.

I was also impressed at how well the writers integrated Horace's character into the story, and actually developed him to a point where he finally feels like a normal character and not just a 2 dimensional extra. Overall, Lost season Five is continouing it's quest to become the best season of the show so far.moreless

Load More Reviews