Lockdown

Episode Reviews (117)

Superb

#217 'Lockdown'

By Edie70, Jun 14, 2012

What an interesting episode. All of the "Locke-centered" ones have been so far. I love the way they continued his father's storyline here. The man had to fake his own death because these two guys were after him and his money. John and Helen (guest star Katey Sagal) went to his funeral which gave John a chance to finally move on, but his papa was following him and needed the last favor. John went to the safe with his key, got dad's money for him to leave the country. But it all ends terribly for John (who had to lie to his girlfriend all the time), daddy got his money and left and Locke was alone again - Helen followed him to the motel and left in shock when she saw John with his supposedly dead father. Very good flashbacks in this one. Meanwhile there was some sort of lock down in the hatch and Henry is not really Henry. 9.5/10

moreless

Awesome.

By Sarah_LOST, Oct 12, 2010

The hatch suddenly traps Locke, who is forced to ask Henry to enter the numbers into the computer. Ana Lucia, Sayid, and Charlie return and reveal that "Henry Gale" is lying and that he is one of the Others. In flashbacks, Locke's marriage proposal to Helen is rejected, because of his inability to let go of the pain his father caused him. Wow - my favourite episode of the season and the last season, I guess. So amazing - I love hte storyline. The scene with John and Henry are amazing. I love the way Jack is in this episode. I love the scene with the poker, Jack knows his stuff - I love the scene with Jack, Sawyer, Kate and Hutlry, and then there is just Sawyer and Jack left - I love them. I love the way the hatch shuts down awesome storyline I loved every minute of it. I love the way Henry has to push the buttons - amazing, I love the tension. The ending is awesome too.moreless

Strong since the BEginning, Only the Flashbacks are the Weak point!!!

By Dante_Edy, Jul 07, 2009

From the Writers/Perspective:

Another Satisfatory episode, sicen the producers decided to reveal the truth about Henry Gale, so how could they bring this ia a great way and make a twist? The first Scene is Strong, When Sayid and Cia found the Ballon.

The endind is strong either, since nobody expected Sayid to found out the truth the way he did.

With a beginning and a ending planned, the hard part was to make a interesting event in the Island.

The Lockdown make this interesting and because locke is inside the Hatch, he is the Main Character and we have another Locke sequel of Flashbacks.

Other mini Events just are there to distract.

My Point of View:

This episode is very interesting, with a both strong beginning and ending.

The Lockdown is intriguing and the Locke situation is interesting to see, since Locke's legs are trapped under one of the blast doors and he have to trust Henry.

OVerall, this episodes builds up you trust regarding Henry Gale since the beginning of this episode, and the Lockdown only favor him. The Lockdown place another mystery and a amazing ending make this episode deserve at least a 9. Only the flashbacks are not strong, since this Locke drama about his father became tiring and repetitive.moreless

Henry Gale

By napen, Sep 24, 2008

Al final Henry no es Henry. Su cuerpo era el enterrado, y entonces... Seguramente este hombre está ahí por una razón (será sacar a John de quicio y ponerlo en contra de Jack?) y no va a vacilar en hacer lo que fue a hacer cueste lo que cueste. Por qué no apretó el botón? Si no lo hizo por qué luego (como se verá) se lo dijo a John? Por qué no los emboscó como había predicho? Por qué no se escapó? Qué es eso que Locke vió en la pared? Seguramente sea algo demasiado real, demasiado irreal como todo en esta isla.moreless

The Hatch just gets that much more mysterious, as does its prisoner, Fenry Gale!

By martync7, Aug 05, 2008

All of Locke's episodes are of a high quality. There hasn't been a bad one yet. However, I like some more than others. I'm not insinuating that Lockdown is a weak episode because it is far from that. In fact it is still one of the best of this season, which has been rather up and down to say the least. But there is something missing! Lockdown is indeed exciting and revealing but when I watched it (certainly on first viewing) it just didn't seem as exciting and as fast-paced as I expected or would have hoped. The problem comes not from the action in the hatch but the action outside, which although broadens some character threads, does little to progress this episode's story or momentum. The poker game, while entertaining, is the one time when I can say something has been fitted into the episode just to fill up the running time and to try to break up the tension between the hatch happenings. It would have been better if there was other tension back on the beach. Sawyer is too playful in this episode, which goes against the grain of events in The Long Con, which saw a return to the dark roots of his character. Comic relief works in Lost but in this episode you could do without it. It would have worked better in an episode, which was of a generally slower pace and more character focused. Lockdown is mainly centered around the mysteries of the island, and in particular, the Swan Station. A new mystery is added into the mix, consequently piling on more questions - the Blast Door Map!!!!

This was surely the biggest discovery of Season 2, next to the discovery of the Swan Station in the first episode.

Certainly, post airing it was the most talked about, theorised about and obsessed about mystery of the show for a good long while. And we only see a few seconds of it on sceeen. It is the viewer's need to pause, zoom and rewind countless times using our modern technology that offered the more concrete revelations about what the Map revealed.

All the scenes in The Swan are totally engrossing so it is fortunate that they occupy the majority of the screen time.

Locke's flashbacks in this season have been not as powerful as they were in Season 1. I still can't quite to grips with the fact that Locke was in love and was in a comfortably relationship with a woman. In Season 1 we were introduced to Locke as a small man with big dreams, a loner and a loser in life. That was how he was portayed and that was how I accepted him to be. The last Locke episodes had cast that notion aside. So Locke wasn't so much of a loner all his life, as I had imagined him to be. He WAS in a relationship, he WAS in love, he WAS reasonably happy and most importantly he didn't seem as LOST, as we saw him earlier in the season. I had ignored the dark cloud that hovered over him in Orientation, his father, and that obstacle continues to be a key aspect to turning Locke's flashback story full circle somewhat. By the end of the episode Locke loses his girl, is broken by his father and consequently returns to the pathetic, lonesome loser that he was (before landing on Lost island). It was nice to bring back Locke back to being Locke (as sad as it is to see him so broken-hearted).

Terry O'Quinn's performance is stellar and Michael Emmerson's portrayal of Henry Gale nearly matches up to it.

There are a number of other mysteries addressed in this episode. One is that Kate and Jack discover a supply drop, which may be connected to the Swan Station Lockdown. The fact that food is being dropped onto the island neatly explains how there is food in the Hatch. But the question remains who is dropping it and for whom? Is it for the people assigned into the Hatch or is it for The Others also?

And we also discover that Henry Gale is NOT Henry Gale but is assuming his role (the real Henry Gale is dead!). Have we now got proof that he is an Other????

Another terrific Locke-centric episode despite some minor momentum issues, which makes this the weakest of his episodes thus far.moreless

The bunker undergoes a transformation, all by itself, leaving Locke and the prisoner to do some bonding. Sayid, Ana and Charlie end up getting some bonding time in also, as they go off to check the story of the prisoner.

By captainbritain, Jun 23, 2008

We have the trio on the hunt for the place where the hot air balloon was, all this just to confirm his story, we see that Charlie had gone and got some ruit for breakfast and we have Sayid watching over Ana as she sleeps.

Jack goes to ask Hurley when the others left and was surprised to hear him say yesterday, Jack makes some remark about being told these things, Hurley's reply is "in the loop dude" obviously meaning a two way aspect. He then decides its too late to go after them, his attention is also required by Claire who needs him to.

The trio has reached the area where they were directed by the prisoners map, they go into each area assigned and spent three hours before they decide to call it a day, just as they were doing so, Charlie calls them over, as he has discovered something.

Bank in the bunker, there is a noise coming through the speakers that Locke is trying to hear, but the prisoner keeps shouting about whats happening, to the extent that he can't hear it. The blast doors then come down, Locke is able to put a crowbar under one door, just before it hits the floor. After a short while, knowing that the button needs to be pressed, he unlocks the door and places alot of faith in the prisoner. They try to force the door up and managed to a small way up, then they placed the tool box under it to hold it in place. Because of the countdown, Locke goes to shimmy under the door, but as he does so the door pins him to the floor.

There is a major trust issue now, Locke has to trust him, as he explains the countdown then directs him through the ventalation system and gets him to reset the countdown, Locke is calling out his name but to no avail, but then he does come back, just as the other three come back with guns drawn, as they found everything was as he said, but Sayid dug up the grave to find the real guy who the prisoner claims to be, as they also found the guys driving licence.moreless

Great

By efc91, May 31, 2008

The hatch suddenly traps Locke, who is forced to ask Henry to enter the numbers into the computer. Ana Lucia, Sayid, and Charlie return and reveal that "Henry Gale" is lying. Locke remembers the favor that his father asked of him.

A brilliant, brilliant episode with some great moments within the hatch, the part where Locke gets impalled by the blast door went through me and the part where Locke sees the blast door map was strange.

Henry Gale begins to fail in his cover up as Henry Gale at the end of the episode where the others return to the Hatch this had me on edge and I wanted to see more.moreless

Only one word: "Wow..."

By j19000, May 27, 2008

A huge improvement over the previous episode brought the answers that we had been waiting for. Henry Gale IS.. one of them. Sayid was the hit character of this episode, especially when he was speaking to Henry about that fact that the real Henry Gale was buried up in the ground, not his wife.

The lockdown was brilliant, no one was expecting it. The hatch tried to take a life of it's own. When John's leg was crushed, all he had was Henry, who helped him. This was just another way to prove his innocence.

The John flashbacks which were obviously at least 5 years before the island were interesting. John's father appeared to be dead, but shockingly he was alive, and was running from two men to whom he took them for a retirement con.

John's bad decisions lead to him loosing Helen and his father. She was right, there is no love between Anthony and John. Then on the island with Ana-Lucia, Charlie and Sayid finding the balloon and the grave, wow, I thought it was true myself. But the shocking, most wicked ending of an episode reveals the truth. At least they didn't make us wait until next week. More mysteries lead us to believe, who is this man who claimed to be Henry, why did food arrive on the island during the lockdown and what was this ? sign during the blur lights?

More, more, more...

Overall, a brilliant episode with action and many answered questions. What is to be done about the fake Henry?moreless

A Locke-centric episode.

By Writer2000, May 23, 2008

Let me just start off this review by saying that as whole, I really liked this episode. Although, I have to say that I definitely don't think that this was the best episode ever of Lost. Locke has never been one of my most favorite characters on the show, so I just naturally don't like his episodes as much as everyone else's. I did enjoy getting to see Katey Segal again in this episode as a guest star though. My favorite thing about this episode was the poker game story line and Sawyer's involvement with it since he's always been one of my most favorite characters on the show. Josh Holloway definitely plays the role of Sawyer perfectly. All in all, this definitely wasn't the best episode ever of Lost in my opinion, but I still thought that it was still pretty good.moreless

Load More Reviews