Meet Kevin Johnson

Episode Reviews (65)

Superb

about the episode

By JordanWelch, Dec 31, 2013

It had great sound mixing.

Highly Underrated Episode

By Nickylucas, Feb 26, 2012

I started watching Lost a few months ago on Netflix, shortly after finishing 24. Ever since the end of Season 1, Michael and Walt have been my favorite characters. I find their relationship touching, with Michael willing to do ANYTHING for Walt, even murder.

This episode is basically one giant flashback telling us what Michael has been doing since the end of Season 2, since he was absent in all of Season 3 and up until last episode this season. It's believable how the others played off of Michael's emotions and suicidal additude.

For those complaining about it being unrealistic, well was Lost ever realistic? Mysterious island? Pandas? Polar bears? Horses? Ability to see the future (later revealed to be time travel)...seriously, it's Sci-Fi with hints of Realism. And it's insanely entertaining.

Michael's return is awesome. This is a very underrated episode and it answers the main question that has been on my mind since the end of Season 2: what the hell happened to Michael and Walt?

Great episode, highly underrated.moreless

A Michael-centric episode.

By Writer2000, Mar 12, 2011

Let me just start out by saying that I didn't like this episode at all since I absolutely hate the character Michael and he's my least favorite character on the show. I was glad when he left in season two, and I would have preferred to have never seen him again on Lost. The show was doing just fine this season without him, and I don't see why it was necessary to bring him for anymore episodes, let alone this episode. In closing, I absolutely hated the story line for this episode and this episode as whole. That being said, I'm really looking looking forward to watching the rest of season four of Lost.moreless

By GoKuVeGeTaGoHaN, Sep 23, 2010

my classification is based specially for the end of the episode wich made no sense to me honestly and also I think that the explanation of how and why michael was on the boat was pretty lame they could have come up with something better. Hopefully they;ll make it up. my classification is based specially for the end of the episode wich made no sense to me honestly and also I think that the explanation of how and why michael was on the boat was pretty lame they could have come up with something better. Hopefully they'll make it up. Peacemoreless

Lost just lost it's charm.

By Dr_Dick, May 27, 2010

Surviving car crashes, bullets bouncing of skulls, guns jamming? What the hell?

I don't know what to say anymore, this is just lame.

"You can't kill yourself. The island won't let you." -

yea yea whatever..

"I'm supposed to believe this?" asks Michael and I ask myself: do I have to watch more of this nonsense?

This whole seasons is getting dumber and dumber.

Seriously, what happend?

The first 3, 4 episodes were great and then all of a sudden they start with this time travel and other unbelievable garbage and ruin a really cool show.

I always thought that Lost was about character development and not about hocus pocus, guess I was wrong.

p.s.: I want at least one thumbs up pleasemoreless

Not the most pleasant reunion we could have had

By DavidB226Morris, Apr 04, 2010

Based on what we've seen in the flashbacks on this series, almost everybody on the island had a difficult time before, during, and (in some cases) after their time on the island. But right now, it's hard to picture somebody who's had it worse than Michael Dawson.

He had a major struggle with his wife after Walt was born, he lost custody of his child in a bitter battle, his relationship with Walt on the island is sullen, and finally manages to solidify when he builds a rescue boat. The Others then blow up the boat, and take Walt prisoner. Michael moves heaven and earth to get his son back, which involves killing two women and betraying all the other survivors of the crash. He finally manages to reunite with his son, but the guilt is too much for him and he confesses, at which point Walt says he wants nothing to do with him.

Almost everybody on the island is looking for some kind of redemption., but now Michael can no longer have that. So he looks for the only way left open to him --- which appears to be death. However, then he runs into Tom, of all people.. Who tells him something that we haven't known, but may have suspected --- if someone needs to do something for the island, it won't let them die. It explains how Locke has managed to survive every attack he's taken so far, why Ben took such a horrible beating, and could possibly be the reason that Jack was unable to kill himself in the first flashforward we saw in Season 3.

During the flashback, the news that the fake Oceanic 815 has been recovered is broadcast. Tom then reveals that the man responsible for the cover up was none other than Charles Widmore, and that he dug up a mass grave in order to come up with 324 bodies. We won't find out how this happened until Season 5, but it does seem that Widmore was responsible. What's not clear is how he found that kind resources, but then Widmore does have access to a lot of things.

Tom then tells Michael that his mission is to take out all of the people on that freighter, and sends him to Fiji with a fake passport. While some of the people on the freighter seem familiar (albeit creepy), it is not until he meets Kearny and Omar firing machine guns that he comes to realize just how dangerous this particular mission is. He then prepares to use a bomb to blow the ship sky high--- only to find out that it's yet another cruel test orchestrated by Ben. All of these scenes carry their own kind of agony, but the worst comes when Michael finally gets a message from the mainland from Walt, only to pick it up and hear Ben on the other end. Ben then tells Michael in that condescending way of his that he will do what he has to do, but he won't kill innocent people. He just gives the orders or allows them to happen. Michael than listens to one more set of marching orders, and Michael finishes up looking utterly crushed, as if he's been denied redemption one more time.

Michael then tells a very truncated version of this story to Sayid (the entire episode is basically a flashback, so it's hard to know exactly how much he actually told) and Sayid waits all of two seconds before taking Michael right over to the captain and telling everybody that he's is the traitor. (I wouldn't get comfortable in my ivory tower, Sayid). Like everyone else on the island, he cares little for someone else's redemption. Granted, he's still trying to save all of his friends, but considering just how violent the captain has been towards his own crew, it's still a pretty lousy thing for him to do.

Meanwhile, back on the island, Ben has finally revealed his secrets, which doesn't help Locke's position much, as everyone (even Miles, who's only been there a week) can tell than Ben has just maneuver himself back into a position of power. He then sends Alex out to the temple, where he told Richard (speaking of which, where is Richard?) to take the others when he got separated from him way back in season 3, and allows Karl and Rousseau to go with her. He's trying to protect her, but in doing so, all he does is guarantee than they all meet their end a bit quicker. Karl is killed in the jungle, and though we won't learn it for certain for a couple of more episodes, Rousseau has died too. All Ben's done is make sure that his daughter saw her boyfriend and mother get killed in front of her--- he couldn't have thought up a crueler fate if he'd arranged it himself. But there are far worse things ahead for Ben and everybody else in the barracks.

This episode is perhaps at its best when it follows Perrineau. He's always been an expressive actor, and in this episode, he pretty much has to be, as so many of the scenes he's in have no dialogue. He manages to show an entire range of emotions on it, from hope to desperation to guilt towards complete defeat. It's not clear (even now) if Michael will ever find the redemption or the peace that he has sought, but for a man who was willing to die for his son, somehow I can't believe fate has finished telling the whole story with him.

My score: 8moreless

Superb Episode, filled with information and a hugh shock in the End!!!!

By Dante_Edy, Jul 16, 2009

Plot Details/Objective -» If there is one character that needed a flashbacks, this person was Michael, he was the first one to left the Island and his destiny was unknown until this episode. They writers function is was tie what happened to him after he left the Island, with the Island plot, I mean, he need to have a good reason to go back to the Island and help is formers friend´s and that reason was easy to create – Guilt and His Son.

What I Like/Disliked -» Michael Flashbacks Scenes. The ending. Sayid attitude was unexpected.

Overall:

Presentation -» (8/10). Locke tribe interaction was a good way to start and make answer to Sayid was more vague than possible. Details -» (9/10). Michael FB was filled with information on what happened to him, Tom, why he wasn´t successful in committing suicide etc.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (10/10). Not only the ending is mysterious, but it has a shock value.

Flashbacks -» (9/10). Michael FB was very informative and funny when he tried to kill himself. The only way to you don´t like Michael FB is to hate the character for what he did before.

Time and Scenes Management -» (10/10). All the necessary scenes was there, very hard to notice that scenes that bought time.

Dialogues -» (10/10) -» It feels like the all necessary dialogues were there.

Action /Adventure -» Wasn´t necessary, you have a little fight, but only for details.

Drama/Emotions -» (7/10). Not that type of episode, that you can really care for the character drama, but was not bad Michael suicidal tendency.

Suspense/Tension -» (6/10). Since you don´t care for Michael and you know that he is alive, you simple don´t feel tension when he tries to suicide.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -»(10/10). You have enough revelation, hints, and Lost mythology.

Surprise/Twists -» (10/10). Tom and Libby appearance and the two surprising endings was a great surprise.

This episode is a great, and a great way to make you wait for what will happen until Lost episodes returns. This is why I rated it 9. This flashback is very informative and a huge shock in the end, which is a perfect combination for an episode of Lost.moreless

Meet Michael Dawson... again.

By JBentham, Aug 31, 2008

I find it interesting that the much more eventless "Ji Yeon" is rated 0.2 higher on TV.com than "Meet Kevin Johnson". Admittedly, it wasn't a fast paced episode either, but it was long awaited, and it did start up a major arc that will dominate the episodes to come.

Michael's return in the previous episode wasn't much of a surprise so I'm glad the writers didn't wait any longer than a half an episode to tell us what happened to him after he left the island with Walt.

This is yet another "giant-flashback" episode, like "Flashes Before Your Eyes" or "The Other 48 Days", but personally, just like with those episodes, I didn't feel bored. At all. In fact, I was moved and on the edge of my seat. I loved who Michael became - and why. I'm very glad that the writers didn't forget about him killing Ana and Libby - I loved how the consequences of his murders were the driving motive to make him go back to the island and save his friends.

His guilt over what he done was very realistic, and telling Walt was a huge mistake but also very understandable. And it makes sense that Walt distances himself from Michael - which for him, means that he has nothing else to live for which drives him to attempt suicide. But apparently, he can't kill himself, because he got work to do - at least according to Tom(but it seems very likely). Weather this is because the island is *that* strong or it's because something scientefic(time travel? If Michael went back to the past, and once lived in the future, it's obvious he can't kill himself until he "catches up", because there are not alternate timelines on the show) it was a very intriguing reveal. And Tom - awesome. Loved to see him come back! Oh and Tom's gay - that explains why Kate isn't his "type"(from S3 premiere). Some people complained that it was over the top, but I mean, why? Would it make much of a difference if he kissed a woman? I liked it this way, and it was a cool comic relief too.

The way Michael got on the freighter was cool but what I found cooler was the freighties. Especially Minkowski - he seemed to be a really nice guy, what a shame he's dead. I also enjoyed Keamy and the rest of the mercs. Surely they only got a brief scene but it was very good, it was the final push to convince Michael that Widmore's group is up to no good.

Michael was ready to kill everyone including himself on the boat, but Ben wasn't. I loved that, despite how evil Ben can be, he wouldn't be able to sacrafice innocent people's lives. That 's the difference between him and Widmore, he says. And how true is it.

The episode's cliffhanger: Rousseau and Karl gets gunned down by Keamy and co - wow. Again, many people disliked this, but I thought it was amazing. They are at war, and war means causilites. Not just red shirts, but major characters too. On a whole this was a very good episode, but it was servicable, for sure. For starters, certain scenes just seemed to go on forever on the freighter. Michael cleaning, then looks at the bomb... continues cleaning. Looks at the bomb again... cleans. Talks to Keamy.... walks back... looks at the bomb......looks..... opens it. The whole bomb was set up to be very suspensful but it wasn't: we already knew it wouldn't blow up.

So yeah, that's the main reason I can't give this any higher than a respectable 9. It was great, but could've used a little more plot in the middle.moreless

If you don't know Kevin Johnson by now, you will never, never, never know him.

By PabloExobar, Aug 25, 2008

I had high expectations and they were met. Wouldn't put it in my top5, but top10 material for sure. So it gets a 10/10 from me.

It was very informative. Probably one of the most revealing hour of Lost to date. Now informative episodes tend to be dry as all you have is a bunch load of answers and no real action. But the writers did a very good job here: I wasn't bored at all, despite the episode being once again really slow paced.

The flashback took 90% of the airtime, and I loved that. I kind of expected it to happen. I prefer giant flashbacks over fragmented flashbacks if the writers want to tell us a story that keeps going on the same timeline - like in this case. I was hoping for a scene on the boat, but I understand it's a bit hard to pull off with giant Walt. So I'll give the writers more room on this topic.

Four main elements of the flashback:

Tom. I thought that he was brilliant, and the best Other to "bring back". Some people may complain that revealing he's gay was way too random, but I think it was a funny and cool moment. Sure it doesn't add the story but it adds some diversity to his character - I mean he won't have a flashback episode so why not develop him a little more in other characters' flashbacks? Plus his homosexuality was first hinted in 3x01, so it wasn't random at all.

The island. So the island won't let Mike kill himself? Interesting. I can already see all the discussion going on about "But how did Radzinsky die? Why did Ana Lucia and Libby die? Why did Randomperson53535 die?" It's similiar to "I think Aaron is Kate's constant! Jack must be Sawayer's constant!" The point is. Yes, we got a clue/puzzle piece but that doesn't mean we should try to explain every happening on the show with it. To me it seems that the island won't let people who can "help" the island die. Dunno - I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Libby. Some wise guy spoiled her appearance on a blog, so it wasn't much of a shock for me, but if I didn't know I'm sure I would've been surprised. But even those short appearances were great - the island communicating with Michael? Or just his conscience?

The freighter. It was nice to see how it all started. I also loved how the writers developed Minkowski's character a bit - he seemed like a really nice guy, so it's a shame he died. The bomb was hilarious, I half expected the flag say "BANG!" but "Not yet" was just as freaky. I liked Ben's speech with Michael. So Ben is the good guy afterall?

Or not.

To me, the most shocking part was the ending. It just made me feel sick. The last time I had this was when Michael shot Ana and Libby. This wasn't the same caliber(Karl is a misc character and Danielle wasn't much developed either) but the way it happened - oh my god. It was so sudden. The way the scene transformed from a light hearted scene to a life/death situation was incredibly well done.

I thought the "LOST" logo came in just in the right moment. The scene was cut BEFORE it was supposed to(I knew they wouldn't show the attackers, but still, normally it would last a bit longer) but this way it made feel really disorianted, and I guess that was the point.

So who were the attackers?

Most likely this is the errand Frank talked about at the start of "Ji Yeon", but it very well could be Ben's arrangement. It's just something that we'll have to wait with until the next episode.

Another cliffhanger - much milder, but still interesting - Sayid telling everything about Michael to the captain. I kind of expected the captain say " I know. " but now I'm not sure.

Anyhow - excellent episode, a very informative piece with a huge shock in the end - perfect combination. I can't wait until the next episode, but unfortuantely it's weeeeeeeks away.moreless

Load More Reviews