One of Us

Episode Reviews (130)

Superb

Exactly What You Can Expect From JulieT Centric Episode!!!

By Dante_Edy, Jul 12, 2009

Objective - » The writes had material from the previous episode to explore, and this one was easy this time to structure. Now Juliet is one of the Main Cast Characters, so she has to be accepted by the Jack tribe, but not everything is easy. So the main focus are her situation in the Island and her flashbacks.

Flashbacks -» Last Juliet flashback was only a setup, I wanted to know more, about her Island time. This was the case this time, the introduction phase was slow, but necessary to understand some hints, it seems that the Others have some kind of enemy, since they are very rigid about security, who is this enemy is something to be revealed soon, until the end of this season or the beginning of the fourth season.

In Her complication phase we have another explanation in form of reflection. It is very easy to understand why she hate Ben, since he lied to her or he didn´t, than We have some hints too, about Jacob healing power, but it seems that in the Island, this Jacob (It is the fourth time that I hear this name in this season) don´t have the power to resolve the fertility problems in the Island. This may mean that Jacob wanted the List, because maybe he was the person who choose Jack and Co to be on this Island, for what purpose is still unknown.

Also during this Phase we had another information/Revelation about Juliet and her lover, and some hint to how Ben was surprise, this may indicate that he didn´t expected this to happen, maybe the Island or Jacob did something to happen, as punishment, another mystery to be solved. The Climax Phase when Ben show that he didn´t lied was interesting and dramatic for Juliet, but gave also the confirmation that Ben didn´t Know Nothing about Flight 815, or at least, he didn´t plan their Crash. The ending, well, simple 24 way of doing it – surprising.

Event in The Island -» The introduction Phase already happened in the Last episode, but this time it begins with a suspicious Sayid that want to Know everything. This Set the Complication Phase with the fact that Claire is ill, which is strange, because of the timing. Juliet is not welcome and there are some people that are not happy and want to do something about it. This type of plot is attractive, take the nice discussion that the tribe have with Jack regarding her.

Claire Sudden illness is only there to make Juliet the hero of the Tribe, and then this provide her to be accepted. But this deliver another information that was a secret until now and finally we know what is happening with the pregnant woman, but not why is happening, the usual drill in Lost. However, why Nathan Abducted Claire is Explained. The Climax of the Situation was very Tense when both Sawyer and Sayid decided to do something about her. How she deal with them, was very interesting and funny because of their expression. The ending was temporary calm for now.

Overall:

1 - Plot Holes: Bronze. Claire Illness does not make any sense. Ben is another Michael Scofield (PB) without the tattoo in his Skin, but is amazing how he plan in advance everything. Make someone sick like a time bomber is little Sci-Fi and out of reality. Just served to create the Climax and the ending, also the revelation too.

2 - Time and Scenes Management: Gold. Very well done. The probability to you to notice the scenes that are there to buy time is really small.

3 - Surprises/Twist/Shocks/Cliffhangers: The ending provide that. Also when you know who Juliet Lover was. 4 - Action: Wasn´t Necessary

5 - Funny: None.

6 - Drama: .Silver. Some Flashbacks Scenes.

7 - Tension/Fear: Gold. Juliet Vs Sawyer and Sayid was the best tension moment.

8 - Excitement Level (curiosity/Mystery/Doubt/Revelations: Since is centered in Juliet and the fact that she has to be accepted by Jack´s Tribe is interesting, and you also expect that you will have fine revelations. There are hints that maintain you curiosity and the ending also provide some doubt or not.

This episode is important, since everyone want to know more about Juliet, with that, some information about the Other could come to the surface and this is exactly what happens. I rate it 9,2.moreless

The standard of Season 3 is raised once again with an episode that has better flashbacks than island action.

By martync7, Jan 04, 2009

Ever since "Not in Portland", Juliet's first flashback episode, the standard of Lost in Season 3 has risen, with the exception of "Stranger in a Strange Land". "One of Us" is yet another classic addition to Season 3 which has had its ups and downs.

It is perhaps my second favourite episode of the season after "The Man from Tallahassee". Aside from the more consistent high quality "One of Us" also is an episode which continues the recent consistency of providing answers to many of the island's mysteries. Since "Enter 77", in fact Season 3 has been rather generous with its exposition, giving us insights into The Others, The Purge, the effect of the Electromagnetic anomaly, communications on the island and its healing powers. But one of the most pivotal outstanding mystery is what The Others are doing on the island, and why they are abducting Childrenand/or their mothers. Since Season 1 we had also been exploring Claire's abduction by the Others and, despite getting a rather detailed flashback on what happened to her after Ethan kidnapped her, neglected to offer us an answer as to WHY? Until now!

Juliet is the central character of this episode and her performance here oncly confirms that Elizabeth Mitchell is one of the best acting additons to Lost, next to Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn.

In 42 minutes Mitchell displays a multitude of varying emotions from being the rather placid and fragile pre-island doctor to the head-strong, manipulative and brave Island doctor she is now. Her change of character, however, hasn't happened overnight since she first stepped foot on the island. There are still moments when she breaks down and even now she wishes to get off the island, depsite her apparent comfort in fitting in with her surroundings.

This is what makes Juliet such a complex character and audiences not know whether to trust her. The ending revelation may reveal Juliet to be the mole in the Losties camp and is working with Ben to some goal involving the women and their pregnancies, there may still remain some doubt on how far Juliet will execute her plan and if she really wants that plan to be executed. When Jack tells Juliet by the shore that he realized that she wants to leave the island as much as he and the losties do he remarks that that makes her "one of us". Something in her face in response to this makes us think that she understands that Jack is right.

Generally with each episode my initial reaction is that the island action is always better than the flashbacks. Occassionally, as is the case with John Locke, the flashbacks are equally as good, but it is very rare that an episode's flashback is better than the island events, which is the case here.

What makes it great is that most of it is on-island, something which is much more interesting and necessary than watching our beloved characters before the crash. At this stage of the game island flashbacks are another way to begin tying up some loose ends to the dense mythology. And loose ends are certainly tied up here, giving us the most clear picture of what the hell is going on than we've ever had before. With all the infomation supplied recently theorists are now starting to try to piece things together.

The performances between Michael Emerson and Elizabeth Mitchell make the flashbacks work so well. The kitchen scene, in particular, is immensely powerful. It was also nice to see the plane crash again with a better sense of what it meant to the Otherswhen it happened. Mikhail's appearance was also nice, as was the reappearance of the Flame Station. The moment when Juliet cries at the sight of her sister and child certainly turned on my waterworks. The flashbacks were so informative, exciting and powerful that it seemed a shame to leave them each time to return to the present situations. Luckily the events here aren't boring and are just as powerful. That final moment when Juliet gives Jack that sweet smile sent shivers down my spine, particularly following the chilling revelation. "One of Us" was powerful and fast-paced in its momentum, despite not having much action. It is the performances from our stars which are the main attraction here and help make this one of the highlights of the season so far!moreless

Trust?

By napen, Jan 04, 2009

Juliet en camino al campamento de los buenitos, para qué se pregunta uno... Si Jack confía en ella entonces está bien... peor todos sabemos que Jack es humano y un poco confianzudo entonces y además Ben y quién sabe quien más están atrás de todo esto por lo que seguramente pasará lo que finalmente pasó que es todo un plan para...

Hasta acá llego esto es una locura lo del submarino y si ellos pueden curar el cáncer entonces por qué Ben tiene y la isla es tan especial que todavía no entiendo si tienen total control sobre ella no no?

Eso sí... decime que sabían quienes viajaban en ese avión y los eligieron uno por uno...moreless

A Juliet-centric episode.

By Writer2000, Nov 13, 2008

Let me just start out this review by saying that as whole, I absolutely loved this episode. Juliet has been one of my top favorite characters this season, so I was really looking forward to this episode, and I have to say that Elizabeth Mitchell blew me away with her performance as Juliet in this episode. I love all of the different layers of Juliet that they showed throughout the episode. All of the flashbacks of Juliet's life were great. I have to say that I was very shocked by the ending of this episode. I can honestly say that I didn't see that coming at all. In closing, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost, and I can't wait to watch the rest of my Lost: Season Three DVD set.moreless

It's official. Juliet is the more attractive version of Ben.

By PabloExobar, Jul 15, 2008

Juliet was my second favourite character from the season, so naturally I was really excited to see her episode.

Truth be told... I wasn't completetly blown away as others. Sure, it was great, but I thought there was more potential to this episode.

Let's start with the good.

The performances by Elizabeth Mitchell and Michael Emerson. Absolutely awesome.

But before we get to that - I loved the way the episode picked up not so much after Not in Portland. Good continouty. Liked seeing Ethan again, and of course, Richard.

The most beautiful scene of the episode had to be Juliet getting out of the sub and seeing the island for the first time. Great music, great cinematography, great directing. That scene is very memorable to me.

Also loved everything about the flashback. Juliet slowly realizing that she won't be leaving the island any soon was done well. Her sudden break downs and stress were portrayed amazingly by Elizabeth. 2 scenes stuck out. The one on the beach with Ben, and the one in the kitchen with... Ben.

Yep, those 2 scenes stole the show. Especially the kitchen one. One of the best acted scenes of the entire show. Juliet realizing Ben is a liar, and Ben... well... sticking to his lie. Now, the ending was good too, revealing that Juliet is actually still working for Ben, even though it felt like something you'd see in an episode of 24, not Lost.

Now the bad.

Not bad actually, just disappointing. The island story. Up to the point where Juliet and co arrived on the island it was great. And I loved the scene where the camp looks at Juliet, like "What the hell are you doing here?" But from there on... hmm. Claire gets sick because of something the Others put in her while she was kidnapped. And now it's activated and it's up to Juliet to save her. Yes, a set up by Ben. Can't say it couldn't be planned but it definitely felt like an after thought and portrays Ben as the Perfect Man Who Has Everything Planned. I know that's the point, but come on... this?? And that's about it. The island portion of the episode was really slow and it just seemed to fill the time between the flashbacks.

Overall, Great episode, with some nice revelations, but it could've been better. It felt unbalanced. The flashbacks were packed, while the island story was lacking .moreless

The celebrations for Jack et al returning are short lived, once they see that Juliet is with them. She tries to be accepted but to no avail but we do get a flashback from her coming on the island and the last 3 years.

By captainbritain, Jun 28, 2008

Claire suddenly becomes ill, which frets Charlie.

We have alot to learn about Juliet and I know it's not going to happen in just one episode, but we see her and her sister talking about her work and that she will not be taking the job as it's an impossible task, but there are tears of joy when her cancer recovering sterile sister tells her that she is pregnant.

Charlie is drawn towards Claires shelter with Aaron's cries, Claire is not feeling well, so he tells her to have some more sleep and he will look after the baby, which she appreciates and goes straight back to sleep.

We see Juliet taking the job with the firm, then being dropped off at the gates, then Juliet telling her that she'll be back in 4 months and will be there for the baby's birth. Then we see that she travelled to the island via the submarine and woke up when it had reached the pier. Then we see her suffering as she loses a mother as she gives birth. She feels terrible and is tells Ben that she wants to go home, but Ben tells her that these ladies neeed her and if she stays, then he will get her sisters' cancer cured, as its come back.

Back on the island, it is getting evening and people are expressing their opinions regarding Juliet, nobody trusts her. Whilst this goes on, Claire sicks blood and faints, Juliet tells Kate she knows what it is and she needs to get Jack over here. She tells him about the serum and what Ethan was doing with it and why, that she knows where his stash is, it will save Claire and he needs to trust her.

We see the flashback where Juliet learns about Bens tumour and them discussing it, she thinks he is lying about her sister as he told her that no one on the island gets cancer at all. Then later we see Ben and Juliet approaching Mikhaels, seeing the live news feeds regarding the missing plane, then he gets communications with a colleague who zoomed a cam onto her healthy sister playing with baby julien in the park, causing Juliet to cry.

We have a flashback to Ben talking through the plan with Juliet, about becoming accepted, how Claire's implant was activated and what to say with this and that, then he'll see her in a week.moreless

pretty good

By efc91, Jun 09, 2008

Jack, Sayid, Kate, and Juliet return from the Others' camp and because of his insistence to trust Juliet, the rest of the survivors question the motives of Jack. A mysterious illness strikes Claire, activated by an implant from the Others inside her. Juliet cares for her. Flashbacks show Juliet's time on the island. Juliet is kept on the island against her will and unable to save women who get pregnant on the island from death. Flashbacks also show Juliet conspiring with Ben to be a mole in the survivors' camp. This episode of Lost was a good episode but it was a bit overated in my opinion.moreless

Exciting!!! Juliet is awesome :) I love her !!

By Kadodian, Apr 27, 2008

Jack,Kate,Sayid and Juliet return to the camp although the people are outraged to have one of the others staying with them. Claire comes down with a virus that was caused by Juliet and her studies on Claire because apparently no pregnant woman survives on the island which really makes me worry about Sun. Juliet tells Jack she knows how to save Claire but her plans are interrupted by Sayid and Sawyer. Juliet made a really good speech which made Sawyer and Sayid back off and she did save Claire. At the end of the episode we see her and Ben sitting on down planning everything which really surprised me because I thought Juliet was finally on Jack's side. Juliet has flashbacks of how she got to the island and her sister's cancer and the day when she saw her sister on camera live all cured and a mother . Nice episode. Very surprising ending but then again all Lost episode endings are surprising. Favorite character from this episode : Juliet !!! I felt really bad for her when she was begging Ben to go home. Good stuff !!moreless

This episode was awesome!!!

By VGFreak8, Apr 05, 2008

Juliet has flashbacks to how she came to the island and what she did. Pregnant women always die there and they don't know why. Also, we see Rachel, Juliet's sister, and her son, Julian. A more recent flashback shows the plan that she and Ben have set up.

Jack, Kate, Sayid and Juliet have come to camp. Many are reluctant to accept Juliet. Sayid and Sawyer especially don't trust her. Claire gets sick and Juliet says she knows what happened to her. She helps out by getting medical supplies that Ethan had hid and healing Claire. Jack trusts Juliet and he is the only one. Juliet sets up camp with her plan in mind.

This episode was great! Seeing all the old Others like Goodwin and Ethan. Even though we've seen them before in season 3, it just seemed special in this episode. I really feel sorry for Juliet, but her plan made me think twice about her. This episode gets a perfect 10 out of 10 from me!moreless

Load More Reviews