S.O.S.

Episode Reviews (111)

Great

It's time to start axing some of these characters.

By bbagnall, Feb 08, 2011

This episode to me epitomized why Lost has been underwhelming in the 2nd season. You've got all these great developments happening with the island map on the door, and they barely take time to examine those mysteries. Instead, they focus on characters we don't even care about. I really don't care about Mr. Eko and his church, Anna Lucia and I especially don't care about Bernard & his wife's pathetic relationship.

I do care about Kate, Charlie, Claire, Jack, Hugo, Jin & Sun, Sawyer, and especially John Locke. I think "the others" are cool, and the fact that they have one in their prison is riveting. I want to learn more about the others, the island, where the boy was taken to, what the black security system is, and what the code actually does. The writers are just giving us nothing. I expect things to pick up, but why waste time on extraneous characters we don't care about when there is so much better material to explore?moreless

Awesome.

By Sarah_LOST, Oct 12, 2010

Bernard attempts to create an S.O.S. signal, but stops when Rose tells him that she wants to stay on the island because she thinks it has cured her cancer. Romantic sparks are rekindled between Jack and Kate. Locke continues to lose faith in the island. In flashbacks, Rose and Bernard have their honeymoon in Australia. Michael reappears to Jack and Kate when they try to trade Henry to the Others in exchange for Walt. Wow - what an awesome episode - I love this episode so much. I love the Rose and Bernard scene and back story. I love the Jack and Henry scene, I love them both. I love the scene with Saywer, Jack and Kate - Yay for Jack and Kate. I love the Jack and Kate scenes together, especially the scene where they are trapped together. I love the John and Rose scene amazing. I love Jack he is my other favourite character on the show. I love the ending where Jack and Kate are having a momeny nd then Michael runs out the jungle.moreless

Transitional Episode, but it has good Scenes!!!!

By Dante_Edy, Jul 08, 2009

Logic:

Rose is the only character that did not have the chance to be the Main Character and her own flashbacks. So It was time to do it. Has expected, it could not be something trivial, it was necessary to do something special, like locke healed legs for example.

Through this mindset, her Storyline was construted with a beginning and a end. Since she is not a strong character, it was best this way.

Make sense that she is healed too, like Locke, but what was not necessary was for her husband to try to make the signal. This was only to fill the episode.

Other events, like Jack and Kate is a setup, the hatch too.

Emotions - » Since Rose is not a Strong Character, it was difficult to create better scenes, since the majority for the Audience would not care. All the Scenes featuring the her flashbacks is about Sadness and Hope. Typical Lost Drama.

Progression - » Since this is a setup, nothing essential happened, so this can be considered filler. This is all about doing a closure for a character that had not time to be one of the main Cast.

Ending - » Nothing special or impressive.

Overall - » Good Material, but not enough to be Great. Still, is a good Setup with some good material and closure.moreless

Rose & Bernard

By napen, Sep 24, 2008

Otro episodio que no esperaba. Me pareció acertadísima la decisión de darle vida a Rose y a Bernard (personajes supuestamente ajenos a la gran trama). Me encantaría que hagan esto, aunque sea un minuto, con cada uno de los que está ahí (hasta algún pequeño flash de Henry). Esto le da vida a la historia y la hace más real y llevadera.

Parece que todo intento por escapar de la isla es en vano y ya visto como una pérdida de tiempo. Parece que todos están resignados even all that food falling from the sky. Linda escena en donde en el aeropuerto Rose se encuentra con John y su silla de ruedas.moreless

Bernard and Rose get a very decent 42 minutes, which manages to not just be a character-development episode by connecting to the island's magical healing properties!

By martync7, Aug 08, 2008

In many ways, I did prefer this episode to Lockdown. This will no doubt cause some consternation amongst other fans. I will honest that in terms of its scale, action, intensity, acting and attention to the mythology of the show, Lockdown wins hands down. But S.O.S is a very personal, emotional episode, and Lost knows how to produce these kinds of episodes too.

From the first time we caught sight of them I did like them alot but never thought much about them because they never got much screen time. Thus, it is surprising, firstly, that they should, out of nowhere, get a whole episode. Secondly, it is amazing that their backstory connects to the ongoing mythology. For those that still insist that nothing happened in this episode and that it was all filler, were you watching the same episode, I ask you? It is not a "Lockdown" episode, for sure, but it holds more mystery than any of Kate's episodes put together, for example.

The mythology referenced in this episode is more subtle than in other episodes. There is no DHARMA Initiative, orientation films, The Others [except a little of Henry Gale] or smoke monsters. It is similar to how the Season 1 episode, "Deus Ex Machina" approached the mystery of the island. It is the metaphysical and psychological approach which made the Season 1 episode and this one work so well.

It could have been so much less than what was shown. We could have been subjected to 42 minutes of Bernard trying to fish for Pearls and Rose doing a whole bulging basket of laundry, but it is smart that the writers decided to give these two seriously underused characters so many layers.

So we find out that Rose has an on-island connection to Locke. Now that is a first. Most of our character connections are off-island in some way. This plot thread harks back to Locke's first episode where we learn that his legs are healed by the island. Rose's cancer has also supposedly been cured by the island and explains her calm, fearless attitude towards her new surroundings.

Because of this connection S.O.S. is as much a Rose episode as it is a Bernard and Rose episode, but Bernard helps to carry it along and give it much emotional depth, as well as some wonderful comic relief. Perhaps the funniest moment was when we learn that he is a dentist, yet when we see his mouth he has worse teeth than probably most of his patients!!

The scenes between them when Rose confesses her secret to Bernard is heartwrenching and beautiful. But there is even more besides Bernard and Rose to engross in: Jack and Kate getting caught in a net, Jack shouting at The Line [wonderful camera work, by the way], Henry Gale being increasingly creepy, Locke's faith restored and the reappearance of Michael "Waaaaaalt!" Dawson. Because of everything that happens in this episode you get your money's worth and that is also why this episode is special!moreless

We have a pow trade delegation going out into the jungle, we also have Bernhard getting on a high horse regarding getting off of the island, we have a serious question of faith regarding the island and the mission of the bunker.

By captainbritain, Jun 23, 2008

We see at the start of the episode that Bernhard is a man on a mission, he is busy rallying people together for the purpose of creating a sign on the beach that can be seen by satellites or by passing planes. He tries to get Mr Eko and Charlie involved, but he discovers that they are busy building a church. He finds it hard to believe that everyone on the island is building something and that he is trying to get them saved.

Locke's faith in the bunker and the island is in question, he tries talking to Henry but to no avail, so he goes to take sollace on the beach as he can't get an answer out of Henry. On the beach he and Rose talk and his faith is restored when he talks to Rose and she tells him that she also knows what the island is capable of - refering to Lockes ability to walk and be pain free since getting stranded on the island.

In flashback mode we get to see and understand the situation between Rose and Bernhard, how they fell in love, how their interact and how they both look out for one another in their own way.

Jack asks Kate to go with him to see the others with regards to a prisoner exchange, as they approach a clearing Kate see and goes to pick up a doll, to the objection of Jack, they both end up in a trap, not one of the others but one of Danielles as it is not as sophisticated. They both try to shoot the rope holding the net in the air.

Bernhards management style is not working, he even gets Jin's back up leaving him to complete the sign by himself. Rose says so to Locke.

Rose admits to Bernhard that the ozzie healer was unable to heal her, but she believes that the island did instead, therefore that is why she is not overly committed to getting off of the island. Bernhard understands this and promises that he will stay on the island with her forever.

Jack and Kate find the clearing where they had their pow-wow with the bearded leader, they wait it out with Jack calling out that they are here to talk. Then at night, a stumbling figure of Michael comes through the undergrowth and collapses before them.moreless

Ok

By efc91, May 31, 2008

Rose is strongly opposed to Bernard's plan to create an S.O.S. signal. Romantic sparks are rekindled between Jack and Kate. Locke continues to lose faith in the island. Rose and Bernard remember their first meeting and their honeymoon in Australia. This episode is near the bottom of the barrel because nothing realy happened it would have been decent if the sos sign was finnish or Jack and Kate saw somthing on the line rather than stand there shouting with nothing happening.

The only good part of the episode is where we see Michael return at the very end of the episode.moreless

Another enjoyable week with a great storyline

By j19000, May 28, 2008

The episode itself was like last weeks, just the same enjoyment and action.

The Rose/Bernard story was nice. We as an audience were probably always wondering what happened to them just before the crash and were not expecting it to be their centric this time.

The action was very little like last week, but the wonderful storylines in both episodes made them into very great episodes. It has been great having episodes like these but now that Michael is back, someone will be killed off next week. Bernard and Rose had a bad turn in their married relationship when she was opposed to Bernard bulding an S.O.S sign on the beach. the flashbacks during their visit in Australia were hilarious. "Bernard.. You brought me to a faith healer?". "This is why you wanted to come to Australia, to bring me to some kind a kook?" Said Rose. Lol, funny...

This episode ended in great shape and with mysteries.

But, beware of fake Henry...

Overall, a great and happy episode. Now, it's time for the real action...moreless

A Rose/Bernard-centric episode.

By Writer2000, May 23, 2008

Let me just start out by saying that all things considered, I absolutely loved this episode because I've been very intrigued by the characters Rose and Bernard ever since they were introduced on the show, so I loved getting to finally learn about their back story. They are definitely both very interesting characters. I also loved getting to learn more about their relationship. All of the flashbacks in this episode were great. In my opinion, they were also very shocking flashbacks too. In closing, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost by everyone who was involved, and I'm really looking forward to watching the rest of my Lost: Season Two DVD set so I can find out how the season ends.moreless

Load More Reviews