Something Nice Back Home

Episode Reviews (64)

Superb

this was a good old school lost episode! No matter what other people say, I just like that type of episodes so much!

By oceanicairline, Mar 04, 2012

So this episode was written by Eddy and Adam, so it must be goood. They wrote "GReatest hits" and "Tricia Tanaka is dead" as well as "confirmed dead". All great episodes. I really liked the flashfoward of jack and kate being together...

Everybody in this episode has something to do like in the old ones...even rose is back and more important than ever..

I enjoyed them helping jack and th etalk between kate and jack i think they will still end up together in the future...

thank god they didnt end the episode with a flash...i like it when it ends on the island...i miss episode endings with music and no real cliffhanger...please give them back to us....moreless

Kate and Jack play house in a world full of self deception.

By AndLoveYelledNO, Sep 08, 2011

It is rather sad that Kate's character has been reduced to an empty doll Jack and Sawyer fight over. Or rather one their crazy shippers fight over. Kate's role in the future is simply to be Jack's side kick and it's a sad sight. Because if you believe that making Kate one of the oceanic 6 and giving her Aaron had nothing to do with Jack and the love triangle, then you are delusional. It feels that the writers, in their misguided quest to continue this horrid love triangle going, decided to finally throw the Jaters a bone. We get a rushed, empty, dysfunctional "relationship" which crashes faster than you can say "I'm bored". As usual, things always have to revolve around Jack. Even his proposal, as he only proposed after getting Kate to reassure him that he's good enough. But then that's all his actions have been about, no? Him trying to prove to himself and his father that he IS a hero. That he can do great things. That he is not worthless. And that is what Kate, with her blind adoration, offers him. This was a poor episode and the only reason I didn't rate it lower is because for once, Jack is becoming a somewhat interesting character. And it's about time.

Unfortunately, as I stated before, Kate is useless as a character and has been for many seasons now. It seems that she all of a sudden desired a child overnight. How did she get there? What changed? How the hell does Kate feel about anything? Why is this woman's character never really dissected and developed? It's sickening sometimes what TPTB do to the women on this show.moreless

We see Jack in the future with Kate & Claire goers missing......

By vicky24c, Aug 04, 2010

This episode is a Jack centred one. In this episode Jack becomes Ill and collapses in front of everyone. We then see Jack and Kate in the future, living in the same house. We see Kate getting out of the shower and she and Jack kiss. We see Jack reading to Aaron.

Back on the island we see Miles walking through the jungle to get to the beach, and he discovers the body of the French woman and Carl. Claire seems shock up by it. Sawyer promises her that everything will be fine. Jack thinks that he has food poisoning whilst Juliet tells him (after an examination) that it's his appendix and they are going to have to take it out. Sun and a few others go to the medical centre to get the medical supplies needed for Jack's operation. Future Jack goes to see Hurley in his mental ward. Hurley is convinced that they are all dead and that they need got off of the island. Hurley gives Jack a message from Charlie "Your not suppose to raise him" and that someone will be visiting him soon.

The army men are still alive and are being helped by the pilot of the chopper. In the future Jack asks Kate to marry him. He gives her a ring and with tears of joy, she says yes. We learn that Charlotte speaks Korean, and Jin tells her that when the helicopter comes back she is to take Sun with her, when she leaves the island.

Jack's operation gets under way and he shouts out in pain and Kate starts cry. In the future we see Jack going home and he takes some tablets to help him sleep. Back on the island Claire wakes up and sees her father holding Aaron. Kate is acting odd in the future and seems though she is having an affair, Jack asks her out right where she was and what is going on. She admits that she was doing something for Sawyer. But she won't admit to him what it is. She says she isn't having him like that around her son and he goes on about how she isn't even related to him, she starts to well up and Aaron appears in the hallway. As Sawyer wakes up and discovers that Claire is missing, he hears Aaron crying. He calls out her name but she doesn't answer, he instead finds Aaron under a tree. Claire is missing.moreless

Something of a let down, but a couple of modest reveals along the way

By DavidB226Morris, May 09, 2010

Up until, the flashforwards haven't shown much involvement within the Oceanic 6. We know that Sun and Hurley seem to have broken away; we knows Hurley's now institutionalized, and in the last episode, we saw the real reason Sayid has become Ben's hitman. About the only thing that's been unclear is what has been leading Jack from the stable person we saw in 'The Beginning of the End' and 'Eggtown' to the tottering wreck he was in 'Through the Looking Glass' It's even harder to believe him from the opening scenes of this episode, where he seems to be playing house with Kate and Aaron, more at peace than he's ever been at any time on the series.

But as everybody who's been watching the show by now knows, Jack is his own worst enemy. His compulsive need to fix things lead and need to constantly do better have shaped him all this way. All his life he has been under the strain of being Christian's son, and he has loved and hated his father for it. Maybe he thought that on the island he could get away from it, but as we've seen repeatedly, Christian is still a presence on the island. Now, not surprisingly, the pressure of his father is what leads to him destroying the first really good thing he's had in his life. Even after all the things he saw on the island, he still can't accept the evidence of his eyes. He'll only get there after he completely destroys himself.

All of this is accelerated by a visit to Hurley, who in the years between his return to Santa Rosa really seems to have lost any impetus to help himself. He is now convinced that everyone on the island is dead, including Jack , Kate and himself. It's hard to argue when you know that he's seeing his own ghosts --- the difference is, he now believes them. Jack tries to stave off his own problems by proposing to Kate, but all that does is hasten his own degeneration. In a sense, we saw Jack destroy his marriage to Sarah because he couldn't let things go, and he essentially does the same thing involving Kate. It's hard to figure out what kind of promise she's keeping for Sawyer, but his mere mention seems to completely unseat the foundation of their relationship. (This is supremely ironic considering what will happen when Jack does return to the island)

In the here and now, the major action doesn't have a lot of suspense. Jack's suddenly coming down with appendicitis isn't much of a cliffhanger, considering that the very flashforward demonstrates that he will survive it. What is far more telling is how much Jack tries to control even his own surgery. There is something very telling in the fact that even though Juliet is performing the operation, he still wants Kate to be in the room. Indeed, Bernard has to chloroform him for anything constructive to happen. Equally telling is what Rose has picked up (and what might have concerned the fans as well). If nobody on the island has gotten sick, and the healing process is accelerated, why did Jack's appendix suddenly become infected at such a critical point? We know the island won't let him die, but it's becoming clear that it also doesn't want to let him leave.

Meanwhile, in the jungle, Sawyer is leading his own group of people back to the beach. He seems determined to protect Claire and Aaron from something--- as if he knows there's even more danger out there for her. (Then again, a smoke monster and a bloodthirsty band of mercenaries is pretty dangerous on its own.) He runs into Keamy and the mercenaries, who are bloodied, but not completely broken. (Widmore must be paying them millions to keep this up). But it's all futile, because in the end, he loses Claire in one of the more shocking scenes of the episode. Claire wakes in the middle of the night to see Christian holding Aaron, something that would be difficult for a ghost to do. Claire says "Dad?", we get a scene break, and when daylight comes Claire is gone, and she's abandoned Aaron. There was a popular theory on the net that everyone thought Claire might have died while in the barracks. Since we now know that this is not the case, the question arises: why would the island choose to separate Claire from her baby? Why does Christian appear both to Jack and into Claire, aside from their filial bonds? For that matter, why did Miles, who said he saw Claire walk into the woods with a man, just let her do it? Maybe he thought that Claire was already dead. Still, a guy in a suit appears in your camp, and you don't let anything happen. Seems like Miles has been taking his lessons on the island from everyone else.

Sawyer and Jack seem to be in the process of reversing roles. Jack will deliberately hurt everyone around him, have a singular obsession that rules him, and will end up broken and alone. Sawyer is becoming heroic, making bold talk, rushing out to save people. And given the way things are on and off the island, it's looking like Kate still won't be able to make a clear choice between them. Even now as the series winds down, she doesn't seem to have been happy with either one. Perhaps her final choice will come down to Aaron. 'Something Nice Back Home' is a pretty good episode, and given the information that we get, we can't exactly classify it as a filler. There were some great dialogue between Miles and Sawyer (a match made in snark heaven) a little revelation about Charlotte that makes Jin reveal his brutal side yet again, and all those Jack and Kate shippers must have loved the flashforwards. Still, considering that the main action seems to be happening in the jungle and back on the freighter (what the hell have Sayid and Desmond been doing the last two episodes?) I can't help that it feels a bit less developed than the rest of Season 4. Jack may be tottering on the brink of his sanity, but he doesn't know that the real craziness is still to come.

My score:8.5moreless

Jack and Kate are together

By lostcy, May 01, 2010

This is a wonderful episode, through the flashforward we learn that Kate and Jack are a couple and that they also got engaged! Jack visits Hurley in the mendal clinic and Hurley says to him that he saw Charlie and he gave him a note to deliver to him. The note wrote "You are not supposed to raise him",and obviously he meant Aaron. In addition,we find out how Jack started to drink and became depressed. That's because his father's spirit (black smoke?) visits him and Jack starts taking pills to avoid seeing him. At the end of the flashforward, we see that his relationship with Kate starts changing, and it seems that they are going to break up.

On the island, Juliet has to remove Jack's appendix. Bernand and Kate help her as well.

Sawyer,Miles and Claire are on their way to the beach. However,during the night, Jack's/Claire's father appear and takes Claire somewhere with him. When Sawyer finds out about it the next morning, he starts looking for her and he finds Aaron alone in the jungle.

Great episode which prepares us for what's coming next!moreless

Pretty great episode, I'll eat my hat

By flatbluesky, Apr 16, 2010

Well, I have to take back my prediction that Danielle was just wounded a few episodes ago. But at the time I thought they couldn't possibly have dispatched such an important recurring character with such little fanfare, so she must just be wounded. Nope, dead and rotting in the ground. Oh well, if there's one thing we've come to expect -- and this episode has made it even clearer -- is that people don't stop being characters on the show just because they're dead. Look at Jack / Claire's father. He's been dead since before episode 1 and he's one of the most recurring of all. And now back in the forefront.

And how did you like the way they spoon fed us Jack's incongruous sickness with that Rose & Bernard exchange while washing down the operating table: "Nobody gets sick here, don't you think it's odd that the day before we're supposed to get rescued.." and so on. I know the writers have to do that from time to time to make some pivotal plot points crystal clear to the casual viewer but that one stuck out as particularly in your face. Usually the task lies with Hurley and he does it more organically.

Interesting point: Jack yells at Kate, "You're not even related to him." Him in this case being Aaron. Does this imply that Jack knows at this point in the future that Aaron is his nephew (ok, half-nephew)? It might.

I think this episode brought out a problem with the flash forward plot device. It's hard to put them in chronological order. For example, the very first flash forward of them all had Jack and Kate meeting at the airport. Was that before or after their engagement? Is Hurley's re-admission into the psych clinic before or after his visit with Sun and her son to visit Jin's grave. And Jack's slide into drug and alcohol abuse, where does that figure in? Maybe it's too early to complain. It will probably get filled in better as time goes on. And one last thing: I was a little disappointed that the smoke monster couldn't do more than bloody the face of just one of the six mercenaries. It appears to be all smoke and no bite.moreless

I like when lost gets subtle...they are at the height of their powers when they tell Character stories!

By paulo5557, Apr 16, 2010

This was a really great episode I thought...It was not the same as last weeks or the amazing season four offering, "The Constant" but the reason I give it such a high rating is that is was amazing in more subtle ways of how it dealt with very important set up and relationship info that would not be believable without episodes like this to move things along...people who just want the action or mystery elements may forget the show from season 1 where this episode would have fit in perfectly...for this return to form with the writing and acting I give it a 10, not that I would want the show to go back to this style permanently, but I think LOST gets a bad rap when they remember their roots from the newer fans who forget how to appreciate the nuanced wonder that is LOST>moreless

Meh.

By CellBlocknutter, Apr 16, 2010

What was the point to this episode? 40 seceonds waiting for Jack to opens up his eyes in the opening scene epitomise just how much time this episodes wastes. Much feels pointless and not exactly gripping. I think like everyone else there so much more we want to see than Jack survive surgery! Whats the point to him and why should I care, can we see the people that have interesting connections to the Island please! Ok I dont like him, so thats unfair, but it was a waste of time, valuble minutes are lost! Of course, not wanting to spoil too much, all the revelations adding to the key storylines, were ace! On a personal note seeing Rose and her husband back in action was a good treat. Throwing back into play some old fan theories was great! Are they dead? Love it! Finding out the fate of Rosseu was not so good. To a large degree this episode was almost a disaster, and it definatly wasted time; it was not all that important, and everything big we found out could have been done in many other ways. Nevertheless it was a high quality episode with no bad choices besides not being too interesting. Its still Lost so still a cut above the large portion of show at it worst. This episode wasn't at its worstmoreless

The beauty of this puzzle isn't the fact that all the pieces fit with such precision, but the near-terrifying control with which those pieces are dispensed.

By pureWasted, Apr 16, 2010

"Through the Looking Glass" showed us the future in which a cried-out, tired Kate can no longer stand to look at the obsessive, self-destructive force Jack has become off the island. "The Beginning of the End" immediately followed this up by showing us a Jack who is still employed as a surgeon and one who has only begun to drink.

HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!

The tragic beauty of this story is in watching the unapologetic pieces fall into place and being able to consciously observe the way they make us feel. We KNOW how close Jack will come to committing suicide. We KNOW that Kate won't be able to speak with him. We KNOW that their happiness isn't meant to last. And yet, as "Something Nice Back Home" deliberately unravels the post-island future of the Oceanic 6 following the completion of Kate's trial, we can't help but sigh as Jack finally expresses his love for Kate and subsequently proceeds to self-destruct. Even in knowing exactly what will happen, what MUST happen, Lost succeeds at shocking us.

The episode follows season 3's precedent in showing us a darker side of Jack - obsessive, flawed, and hopelessly human. And as his plans for rescue are questioned with Daniel's revelation that they're not here to rescue anybody in the last episode, Jack feels his control - and his hopes - slipping away from him faster than he could have imagined. Off the island, Jack professes his love to Kate, but we know how this story will end. His paranoia drives him to obsess over Kate's phone call and his desire to right his wrongs drives him to destroy everything he has... their entire illusion of happiness is shattered. Once again, control has been wrested from his hands and Jack finds himself in a hopeless torrent of dark turns, sliding further and further down to become the broken man we saw in "TTLG." But we knew all of this! We knew exactly what kind of person Jack is - one who can never settle, one who can never live with an illusion of happiness, but will instead destroy everything he has and drive himself to look for more. We have even literally glimpsed into the future. So how is it that as we watch him ride this downward spiral we cringe and, even knowing the future, we beg the TV screen to not allow this to happen... we beg Jack to stop before it's too late.

It only goes to prove YET AGAIN the complete mastery these writers have over their audience, and this reviewer wonders how much more time will pass before this mastery is rightfully acknowledged by the critics and appropriately rewarded. Sawyer's transformation into a true leader, foreshadowed since the middle of season 3, seems finally complete, and Dan stands up and separates himself from his fellows by scolding Charlotte's unhelpful attitude in front of the entire group. Bernard's increased presence feels both natural and welcome, and Claire's disappearance marks the onset of the finale... the question of why she is not on the fateful flight off the island while Aaron is seems - all of a sudden - to be nearing resolution. This reviewer can only hope that John Locke, the centerpiece of the following episode, receives his overdue attention... and that the treatment seems as just as the one given Jack. -pWmoreless

Load More Reviews