Sundown

Episode Reviews (24)

Superb

Damn no more pattern.

By efc91, Jan 22, 2011

Sayid faces a difficult decision, and Claire sends a warning to the temple inhabitants. Wow what an episode. The tops Locke's episode a couple of weeks ago as the best of the season. Like The Substitute the flash sideways are nothing speacil, Seeing Keamy and co. again was cool even if it was only for one scene before he was killed again and the part with Jin was intresting but we will have to wait for his episode to find out I guess. Other than that one scene Sayid's story was a bit boring, but his story on the island was exciting. I enjoyed the fight between Sayid and Dogen near the start that was fun, I noticed Sayid was fighting a lot differently than we have seen in the past he was faster, I think that this could be due to the his re birth. He is going down a dark path and I like it, the character really grabbed me again in this episode, last week I thought Sayid was boring but now he is really intresting I'm looking forward to seeing what him, Claire and MIB get up to in the future episodes.

L ike I said last week the new Claire is awesome Emelie is doing a great job with the sudden change in the character and I'm really enjoying seeing this character have a bigger role in the series. The obvious stand out moment of the episode is the ending all I can say is WOW! I can't wait til next week.moreless

One of the most memorable episodes of all time and without a doubt the best episode of the season 6.

By Splendid_99, Sep 16, 2010

Lost has come to it's final season and it seems that every episode now has what are in my understanding are called ''Flash Sideways'' Which is like a flash back if Oceanic flight 815 had landed in Sydney. Every episode has had a different characters flash sideways such as Locke (smokey), Kate, Jack, Ben, etc. This episode was about Sayid's life. The episode moved me from start to finish and Sayid seemed cooler than a villain! I didn't really understand the quote he said to Ben when Ben said come on Sayid theirs still time ''Not for me'' ????

No idea whats in store but at the moment season 6 is living up to every bit of the hype and hopefully will continue!moreless

What an episode

By Parricida, Sep 16, 2010

That was good. That was really good. I loved that dark and very dangerous undertone this episode had.. Sayid has always been mysterious and those acts on the island only made it deeper. I mean: that chinese man trying to have others kill him over and over again. I so loved the moment on the pool room where Sayid decided to get rid of him. I never liked the chinese man at all.. so, him out of the picture, that great. but his hippy friend.. He looked more intriguing but if to get rid of that chinese man, it was necessary to get rid off him, it's all fine by me.

Claire also has some great developments. I mean.. what they are really up to? Do we know? There starts to be more and more bipolar atmosphere.. so.. will it all end in clash? and if it does, who wins?moreless

Hard to break the chain of 10s with this review...

By Heresandypandy, Apr 09, 2010

Overall this was probably up there with "The Substitute" as the best episode of season six so far.

A "perfect" rating is probably stretching it quite a lot, of course, but this episode was a big game-changer -- Jacob's forces are now in disarray, the temple is crushed, and sides have been drawn. Sayid and Claire have become consumed by The Sickness, and temple-protectors Dogen and Lennon have fallen at the former's hands.

The episode was skillfully paced; leading us gradually through a methodical build-up to an epic showdown at sundown. And when the showdown came, it was worth it. Lost doesn't often do action-sequences, and sometimes is unfairly criticised for it -- this episode demonstrates masterfully why epic-but-rare is far more dramatically satisfying than little-but-often. When Lost does action, it does it memorably. The final 10 minutes' action-piece of this episode sits alongside the incident (in the episode of the same title), the freighter explosion, the beach showdown with the others (in Through The Looking Glass), the hatch implosion, and several others, as another memorable and heart-pounding blaze of glory for the show.

The flash-sideways, comparatively, still move slowly and focus more on character enlightenment. It would be easy to mistake the purpose of the alternate reality to simply be a "Oooh look at what could have happened! Oooh, look what's changed!" scenario, but I think it's pretty obvious that there's far more to these stories than that. In this episode, on the island, Locke suggests to Sayid that if he follows him he will be able to see Nadia again... Perhaps the alternate reality is influenced by Jacob and his adversary; it's too early to tell. It is curious, however, that the two characters who have had flash-sideways who followed Locke at the end of the episode (Kate and Sayid) are still relatively miserable, struggling to find redemption and struggling to move beyond their previously-explored demons... A complete contrast to the Jacob followers (Jack and Hurley), who are relatively happy and apparently clear of the demons that plagued them in the original-timeline.

I'm not sure what this all means, or whether it's relevant. But the Jacob followers are happy; the Locke followers are miserable. There have been arguments over which side is truly "good" and which side is truly "bad" -- the flash-sideways may or may not serve a greater purpose than is currently visible, but if nothing else, they seem to be providing some enlightenment to the reality of one of the most important and mythologically-central debates on the show. And for that reason alone they are serving a crucial purpose.moreless

A great action episode.

By petef20, Mar 08, 2010

After being tortured and almost killed by a poison pill at the hands of the Others Sayid understandably had some questions. It's always good when the main characters push for answers, as even if they aren't the most pressing ones we may have, it usually means there'll be some kind of closure in the episode. The episode started fantastically with an amazing fight scene between Dogan and Sayid. A great combination of martial arts techniques, sheer strength brawling and using weapons were all incorporated into the brilliant scene with it all feeling very realistic within the moment.

Despite winning the fight Dogan refused to kill Sayid (for reasons revealed later in the episode) and instead exiled him. But before he could leave Claire arrived at the temple and it seemed that Dogan now had a use for Sayid. Obviously at this stage for Sayid to go along with Dogan it would take some pretty good convincing. In truth it didn't seem to be that hard, but the line about redemption clearly struck a chord with Sayid and so it worked for the episode. Sayid did encounter fake-Locke and, as instructed, stabbed him. I liked how it didn't work, as considering he survived being shot why would a stabbing do any damage. So the reveal that Dogan had wanted the Monster to kill Sayid was a nice one, only bettered by what he was then offered from our "man in black".

So there was the obviously link thematically to the flash-sideways (slowly coming round to that term) in which Sayid had what he wanted, kind of. At this point recapping the differences seems pointless, but for those still keeping score it would seem that Sayid left the army after the war (and therefore presumably never needed to help Nadia escape from an Iraq prison). The major one though was that, similarly to last week, there were new lives that never existed before. Sayid's niece and nephew weren't the emotional link here however, as that was (as it had always been) Nadia.

As far as any hints to what the deal is with this alternate reality or any real answers went, we didn't get any. But what we did get was a well told story about a man who can't fight the darkness inside him, whichever timeline he's in. I have to say I did notice Kevin Durand's name in the opening titles, so kind of spoiled it for myself. Sure it wasn't the most epic reveal, but getting to see Keamy again was very cool. While in essence his character wasn't any different to that of season 4 Keamy, it was great to see him in a different setting and acting quite differently. As before he was great and the scene was superbly done. From "I make good eggs" to Sayid having enough and effortlessly taking out all three guys it was excellent to watch. Jin being in the fridge was a cliffhanger that worked to set up a future episode without undermining this one.

Back on the island instead of killing Sayid Locke had him deliver a message to the Others at the temple. How much exactly all these people know about the mysteries between Jacob and his nemesis isn't clear, but they clearly believed in Jacob, as now they're terrified that the Monster will take them all out. It does seem a little bit daft that they're trusting he won't kill them once they leave the temple but it still worked, especially as Cindy was clearly fearful for the kids.

When Sayid returned the knife to Dogan we got a little surprise. It was a bit of a strange lead in to the conversation about Dogan's son as it came from a question about why he wouldn't kill Sayid. It's something Lost has done in the past, sometimes it works sometimes it's weird. Instead of giving anything like an answer we get a little story. It did relate to what Sayid was going through, but had nothing to do with his question! As for the moment itself the line delivery and dialogue was great, but it's the kind of thing that we'd rather see than just hear about. Imagine if that had been a flashback scene, it would've been great!

Either way it led into a big moment as Sayid killed our Japanese friend just as I was really starting to like him. I do like that Lost isn't afraid to kill off big characters on the show and Dogan's translator getting taken out too nicely implied the end of the temple section of the season. After being promised the attack on the temple at the end of the last episode it didn't disappoint! Even more epic than the Monster taking out Bram and his men in the premiere it decimated the temple and looked awesome as it ran rampant through the corridors. That several of our main characters were in there added to the panic and we got a very cool shot of Kate diving over the ledge as the cloud of black smoke came towards her.

And to make it even more interesting Illana, Frank, Ben and Sun turned up to rescue everyone. It was great to see them appear and it looks like the cast are almost reunited. While all this chaos was going on the question about Sayid was whether he was actually evil or just gave in to the man in black's offer. I have to say from Ben's reaction to him I think it's the former. Having him, Claire and Kate walk out to see the carnage left behind by the Monster would've been a cool moment. However it rocked up to epic levels with the genius idea of having Claire's singing of "catch a falling star" over it. It really played up the devastation, not only of how many guys died, but how much things seemed to have tipped in the favour of fake Locke. Whether these guys are following him through fear or because they want to leave the island, things aren't looking good for those not currently in Locke's camp.

I have to question where Richard is as last we saw he was on his way back to the temple. I can only assume it was for convenience sake as him being there wouldn't have worked for the story. Also where was Sawyer? Were we to assume he was just off sobering up somewhere? I can understand Jin still being unable to walk, but it seems Sawyer should still be hanging about with fake Locke. Still those were the only real complaints. The flash-sideways was a nice little tale, with one superb scene in particular which also gets points for the cool gunplay. The best thing about this episode I felt was that a lot happened in it! It moved forward the story, while setting up the next couple of episodes nicely, all the while doing it in an entertaining and action packed manner. Like I said in my premiere review; I don't care what they do this season if they tell it this well!moreless

On the Island, Sayid choses his side.

On the alternate reality, he helps out his brother and his family.

By KevinGil, Mar 06, 2010

One of the best episodes of this sixth season of Lost, and of the entire show. Naveen Andrews is perfect, and the flash-sideways show us a side to Sayid that we wouldn't know. Terry O'Quinn is also excellent in this episode, and I liked Emilie de Rvin too... Claire really looks nuts ! A very good surprise at the end of the episode are the surprise guests in the tempel... I really didn't expect to see them here !

And the final scene... I had a thrill on this one !

So, excellent episode, I wait the following and I hope tanh quality will still be there !moreless

The war begins in earnest

By entil2001, Mar 06, 2010

While some fans have been complaining about the pacing of the season thus far, many found it readily apparent that it was all leading to open conflict between Jacob, his rival, and more importantly, their followers. This episode is the first such clash, and it is remarkably brutal. More so, because it sends one very popular original survivor of Oceanic 815 into a very dark direction.

Much like the previous character-centric episodes of the season, the contrast between "Lost Prime" and "Lost X" seems to be how the characters have chosen to address the flaws of their nature. In "Lost X", Kate embraces the criminal side of her nature, Locke has come to terms with his paralysis and limitations, and Jack has found the strength to face his lifelong feelings of inadequacy.

Sayid X is a more complicated man. It's not so much that he has overcome the violence in his heart or the darkness in his soul. If there is a message to this episode, it's that Sayid was never going to be able to run from what he has become. Rather, it is a question of what would drive Sayid to utilize those unfortunate skills. In "Lost X", it's a threat against his family and the woman he loves, even if she is his brother's wife. Only that is worth another stain on his soul.

In "Lost Prime", Sayid's has been locked in a cycle of violence since the start of the series. In many cases, he tried to move past such tactics, but ultimately, they became something of a default. In the first half of the story, it was in service to survival and the hope of returning to Nadia. Since her death, it has been a growing nihilism within Sayid, a sense that there is no reason to try to rise above his worst impulses.

In short, it all comes down to Nadia. In "Lost X", Sayid made the conscious choice to sacrifice his own happiness for her best interests. In a certain sense, Sayid has chosen an honorable path, not unlike a samauri or similar iconic warrior figure. In "Lost Prime", Sayid has been consistently focused on his own needs, and in the end, his desire to regain what he has lost, no matter how unlikely or questionable such a thing might be, has fully corrupted him.

Much like Sawyer, Sayid has been manipulated by Jacob's rival through the apparent offer of a choice. It's so methodical that it must be something that Jacob's rival has been doing for quite some time. Jacob's rival knows that Jacob is manipulating people and events to bring them to the island as Candidates, and he uses that fact to his advantage. He reveals the truth (or selective parts of it) to the Candidates and pushes them to make a choice based on that information, knowing that the likely response is rejection of Jacob's design.

This episode is a perfect example of that offer and subversion of choice. Jacob's rival tells the residents of the Temple that they must either leave and join him, or die at sundown. For those with a strong sense of loyalty to Jacob and an apparent understanding of the nature of the conflict, the choice to die rather than join Jacob's rival may be a good one.

But for the majority of the residents of the Temple (and therefore the majority of the Others), there has never really been a choice. It's been more dogmatic. The Others are the chosen of Jacob, and therefore, they are more than happy to assume that anyone not chosen by Jacob must be expendable. That has been the treatment of non-Others since the beginning, from Dharma to Danielle to the survivors of Oceanic 815. They assume they are "the good guys", and they act accordingly.

It's really something akin to blind faith, and between Jacob's death and the release of Jacob's rival, that faith has been shattered. Now there is doubt, and the fear that comes with it. Enter the ultimatum, and suddenly the choice to live becomes a driving force. Even if it seems like they are not being given much of a choice, by the apparent rules of the game, it's enough of a willing allegiance to matter.

What is clear is that Jacob is the one who brings people to the Island. Jacob's rival does not want people there. What Jacob and his rival are arguing about, in terms of who is right or wrong, is not at all clear yet. Thus far, it looks as though Jacob needs to bring the Candidates to the island on a regular basis so he can find a replacement. If there are no people on the island, then Jacob cannot have a replacement. That ends the conflict.

While there are still some indications that there is a predestination/free will conflict at play, that may be a false impression. After all, as mentioned in previous reviews, it doesn't quite mesh with the actions of Jacob's rival in previous episodes, particularly his penchant for judgment. That judgment always seemed to come when people (like, for example, Mr. Eko) were unwilling to transcend their internal flaws and seek redemption.

Much of this final season is pointing back to the first season. Also, "Lost X" seems to be a timeline in which the familiar survivors of Oceanic 815 have found a way to achieve some peace of mind without Jacob's interference. Taking that into account, there may be an explanation for the philosophical difference of opinion between Jacob and his rival.

A major theme of the series has been redemption. For the characters, the island has always been something of a crucible: they are confronted, by whatever means, by their own greatest weaknesses. It always seemed as though the island, in some sense, was offering the chance to wipe the slate clean and find a new, better path. It always came down to that choice to change and grow.

That suggests that the conflict may simply be a difference of opinion on the base quality of humanity itself. In other words, Jacob may feel that human beings have the potential to rise above their flaws and weaknesses and become something better. That may be a pre-condition for whoever might replace him.

Jacob's rival, on the other hand, clearly indicts humanity on their inability to change. This ties right back into that conversation in "The Incident": Jacob sees progress with each new group of test subjects/Candidates, and his rival denounces the process as proof of humanity's innate flaw. That would imply that it's not destiny vs. free will, but rather, a conflict over whether or not humanity has what it takes to make the right decisions with the free will they have been given.

That resolves many apparent contradictions, and aligns the whole of the series arc with the current events. For example, it now makes sense that Jacob was telling Ben that he had a choice at the end of "The Incident"; he was trying to push Ben to make the right choice. Whereas Jacob's rival is simply pushing people to follow their darkest impulses. Jacob's rival appears to be pushing people by appealing to their basest expression of self-interest, to eliminate those he cannot kill (the Candidates, it seems), and then he will likely wipe out everyone on his own side before leaving the island himself.

So where does Charles Widmore come into the equation? If Jacob's rival controlled Ben, then wouldn't it make sense that Jacob would have influenced Widmore? After all, Widmore's goal was to capture Ben Linus and kill everyone else. Based on the rules, that would have left the conflict between Jacob and his rival at the usual status quo; Jacob would just have to find another group of Candidates at some later time.

On the other hand, perhaps there are no other Candidates. Perhaps that is why all those names were on the wheel at the Lighthouse; at least some of those names had to be from previous groups of people brought to the island. Maybe that is what Jacob meant when he spoke about "progress": that each group of potential Candidates, when lost to the inevitable conflicts, brought them closer to the point when Jacob could be replaced.

Whatever the case, this definitely brought the introductory phase of the final season to a close. Now things are set to get more complicated. That may seem like a foregone conclusion when it comes to "Lost", but it's all relative. The real question is: after an episode as strong as this, can the rest of the season measure up?

Overall, this episode was a turning point, both in terms of the season arc and in terms of the conflict between Jacob and his rival. For fans of Sayid, it had to be difficult to accept, but the writers are being consistent with where the characters began. If nothing else, it is clear that this story is unlikely to have a happy ending.moreless

A typical magnificent episode of LOST. Also the first action packed episode in the final season. Bravo! Take a bow!

By Steerforth, Mar 05, 2010

This to me was the beginning of the end of Lost. Sundown had it all: the calm then rampaging smoke monster tearing through the temple. A Sayid who went on a killing spree and who seemed to have finally accept his purpose in life and abandon his hope for redemption (This was probably due to the infection seeking through his veins for the heart).

Claire in the previous episode was derange, clearly a woman on the edge. But in this episode she entirely different woman, still eerie, she was strangely clam and totally cool. Even she encountered the others, well when I say encountered I mean strolled up to them, she didn't even battler an eyelid and took everything that occur in the temple within her stride. AND when she learnt that Kate did take Aaron & even took him away off the island and further away from her care, you could tell that she was pawing to get at Kate, calculating of when to attack her to get revenge. So when Kate jumped into the hole with her, to avoid the monster, I thought catfight would begin. So overall for this storyline I wasn't I must admit enthralled, but gradually as the story has progressed I've been looking forward to its conclusion, or dare I say it... showdown.

Even though it was Sayid-centric episode, to me the main focus was on Dogen. In recent episodes, Dogen added the old mystery and allure that has become standard to the show that has attracted millions of viewers. But in this episode and perhaps briefly in 'The Lighthouse' was a man who has slowly becoming resigned to the fact that his time on the island and his life was drawing to a close. Dogen like the rest of the characters on Lost has daddy issues, and he dwells on the mistakes that he as a daddy made and the sacrifice he to make to rectify them. So when Sayid came up to sit by him by the spring, Dogen knew what his fate held, but that did not deter him telling Sayid of his biggest mistake and unconsciously willed Sayid to end his torment and become at peace, which Sayid happily obliged to do.

To Dogen, you were great and I hope to see you again before LOST is over. The overall storyline of this episode seems to be moving with an increasing pace. Whereas in a typical season of Lost, we would be stuck at the temple for the entire season, in this season, the temple came and went all within six episodes. So with the majority of the LOST gang siding with the smoke-monster, you have to wonder who will stand in his way. And all I can think of is Hurley, sweet innocent Hurley, probably Richard by his side and hopefully Desmond. With only 10 episodes left and the two-hour finale to go, each episode is going be as fast paced, jam- packed and ever so entertaining as 'Sundown' that won't be able to stop drooling. And on note I will see you next week.moreless

By screenagedkicks, Mar 05, 2010

It seems that there is a general consensus among many Lostaholics that, so far, the show's sixth and final season is not quite living up to expectations. Forums are abuzz with the notion that something is just 'not quite right', but no one can put their finger on what exactly is missing. Perhaps it's the weight of responsibility that executive producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse have given themselves; this being the last gasp, so to speak, we've been promised answers to the substantial volume of questions that have arisen in seasons past, but the first six episodes only really hint at solutions, dripfeeding us all with inferences and, frustratingly, further conundrums. Maybe the time for dicking around is over, and now that we've reached the final stretch, the viewing public need, nay demand, more. But this isn't the only potential explanation. There's another significant feature of the final year that may be the cause of some dissatisfaction: the oblique sideways flashes. It isn't the mind-boggling nature of these that's the problem, though (if anything, the question of what role they play in relation to the show's chronology is actually what makes them worth watching). It's their inherent similarity to what we've seen before. As a friend of mine suggested recently, we've been a bit spoiled with the 'non-linear' strands in the past two seasons: year four had intriguing flash-forwards that required you to piece together the timeline, while year five was just plain barmy, incorproating flashbacks, forwards, through time and all sorts. To go back to the sort of standard stories we were used to in the first three seasons seems almost like a bit of a let down. Of course, things aren't so black and white, since we're beginning to pick up subtle, and rather less than subtle, differences between the lives of the Losties pre-815 crash and post-LA landing, and this gives the narratives some intrigue, but at the end of the day, the majority of the emotional and metaphorical beats, the essence of the stories, are concerned with aspects of the characters that we've explored substantially before: Kate's penchant for running away, Locke refusing to accept his situation, Jack's daddy issues. These feel outmoded, so perhaps it's a case of overt familiarity.

Fortunately, however, this latest episode manages to circumnavigate the problem by only moderately touching on the standard psychological ennui of its chosen flash-sidewaysee. Sayid's struggle with the demons of his past, his attempt to make amends for his role under the Republican Guard, takes something of a back-seat to the establishment of the quite significant differences inherent in this version of events, as well as the interweaving of the lives of the other Oceanic 815 passengers. For all the story explores his willingness to retaliate against those who threaten, and subsequently assault, his brother, more time is spent establishing the changes to his relationship with Nadia (who has somehow ended up with his bro), integrating the dastardly Keimi, who Jarrah murders in a wonderfully intense sequence, dripping with beautifully understated malice, and establishing a connection with Jin at the close of the narrative, which comes completely out of nowhere and generates a considerable number of questions that are guaranteed to have us tuning in for the next instalment. Thankfully, we don't spend too long deliberating over the moral implications of Sayid's willingness to use violence; he simply makes a decision and gets down to business, which prevents the strand from meandering or appearing overly verbose.

It also provides a delectable thematic connection to the on-Island narrative, as the viewer is able to draw quite potent parallels between the two versions of the character. Sayid's actions in 2007 are similarly 'straightforward', if you will, demonstrating little patience with the concept of pontification. Faced with differing perspectives on events, with a similar question of violence versus pacifism, Jarrah chooses the former, murdering both Dogan and Lennon in cold blood, in a sequence that is in direct syntagmatic relation to the slaying of his brother's assailants. It reinforces the inherent complexity of his character, but also creates an interesting dichotomy between understandable violence and unwarranted brutality. While it is up to the viewer to determine whether these measures are ever called for, it is certainly easier to rationalise Sayid's actions in the flash sideways, which is perhaps symptomatic of the question mark that currently hangs, ominously, over the 2007 character's head. Is this the 'real' Sayid, the guy we've come to know and love for the last six seasons? Or is this someone different altogether, tainted and reshaped by Smokie; 'diseased', if you will? Is 'the sickness' something tangible that UnLocke does to people or is it simply how the Others refer to those who have communicated with him and perhaps been mentally influenced by his words? These questions make this entire storyline wonderfully captivating and provide Naveen Andrews with an opportunity to outshine pretty much everyone in the cast; a task to which he rises with great aplomb.

From a storytelling perspective, it works beautifully too. The script maintains a prominent level of ambiguity throughout, refusing to allow the viewer to be certain as to the motives of the parties involved. In the aftermath of his absolutely stellar fight sequence with Jarrah (which is probably the best of its kind that has ever been presented on the show, choreographed to perfection), we are never quite certain as to what Dogen's aims are, particularly as the accidental 'dropping' of the baseball has clear emotional and psychological significance, apparently prompting a sincere change of heart. Of course, we subsequently realise that he is merely deferring responsibility for Sayid's murder, in a two-header sequence bristling with suspense. O'Quinn and Andrews are absolutely magnificent together, achieving so much with so little. Sayid's own actions are unpredictable too, and it's almost a given at this point that we will be treated to both sides of the coin, so to speak, in relation to any decisions made by UnLocke. This notable lack of transparency enriches the narrative, preventing any obvious inferences and therefore generating significant momentum. The plot moves along at a breakneck, decidedly anxious, pace, despite essentially consisting of a series of minor confrontations and deliberations. And when sundown approaches, and the pay-off is delivered, the script hits home run after home run, providing superlative shock value in Dogen and Lennon's murders, some delightfully frightening sequences as Smokie lays waste to the Temple and its inhabitants (all of which are expertly shot) and a superb final scene, underscored to great effect by 'Catch A Falling Star', in which Kate surveys the wreckage and watches UnLocke gather his troops.

There are many other noteworthy elements within 'Sundown' too. Emile de Ravan continues to make the most of her new-found role as Clairsseau (nope, I can't take credit for that one... see the official Lost audio podcast from a few weeks ago for the reference), creating a thoroughly convincing and decidedly unnerving portrayal of a girl driven to the outskirts of madness by time, loss, isolation and influence. She's great as she strides into the Temple, squaring up to Dogan, and even better in her scenes with Kate in the hole in the ground, delivering each laconic line of dialogue with an eerie assuredness and calm. For all it is a little convenient, the arrival of Sun, Ben, Frank and Ilyana is a much welcome surprise, especially since it seems to herald the connection of a few dots pertaining to the Losties who were previously in 1977; it's good to see Cindy back in play and given a few interesting lines of dialogue (hopefully we'll get to see how she integrated herself into the Others' camp in the weeks to come); there's the interesting suggestion that Dogan is somehow responsible for keeping Dogan out, simply by his very existence; and, of course, Jack's screentime is confined to a brief, dialogue-less cameo in the flash sideways. Marvellous.

If Lost is 'suffering' a little in its sixth season, not seeming quite like its former self, then you certainly wouldn't know it from watching 'Sundown'. This is an absolutely stellar episode, packed to the brim with intrigue, suspense, action and drama, that pays off a number of loose narrative strands, propels the arc plot forward substantially and even provides an engaging, thought-provoking flash sideways to boot. Naveen Andrews is given the opportunity to shine and boy, does he, providing wonderfully understated portrayals of the myriad sides of Sayid's character to which we are treated, all the while keeping the viewer guessing as to what his next move may be. There are a number of genuine shocks in the plot and the production is absolutely flawness, the crew rising admirably to the substantial demands of the script, delivering a brilliantly brutal fight sequence in the teaser and another wonderfully frightening Smoke Monster Attack(TM) in the final act. Honestly, what isn't there to love about 'Sundown'? The fact that it has to come to an end, that's what.moreless

Load More Reviews