Tabula Rasa

Episode Reviews (70)

Superb

What did Kate do?

By DexterMorgan2, Jun 07, 2013

In this episode we learn a lot about Kate before the plane crashed and how she was a fugitive but what we don't know is what she did When I first saw her I never would've imagined that she would be revealed to be a fugitive Jack just believes that now on the island everyone deserves a second chance I do feel that Locke is a shady character and I think he is up to something but hopefully everything will be revealed soon.moreless

By Canogaparkcindy, Feb 16, 2011

A Kate-centric episode, and we definitely get a lot of character development. Kate is a fugitive, this plot really showed us how much characters can be explored and how their past affects them on the island. This was the format that Lost used for the rest of the series, and like all, this episode was really good.

My favorite part of the episode was definitely when Locke found the boy's dog, that was such a nice scene. Kate's flashbacks were a little slow paced at the start there, but I like how things fell in to place with the dying man.

I love all these characters, and it's a wonder how all these characters can get so much three dimensional development in one episode. None of them are toned down to stereotypes, their just all different in their own way. I loved the irony in Sawyer shooting the dying man in the chest which actually made his death much more painful (no second bullet). Also the title was very suitable for this episode. Overall, a good installment.moreless

Awesome.

By Sarah_LOST, Oct 12, 2010

Jack learns about Kate's past as a fugitive. The signal party returns, but decides not to tell the others about the transmission. Sawyer shoots the marshal, thinking that it will relieve him of his misery. However, this only punctures his lung, so Jack euthanizes him. Flashbacks show Kate's life on an Australian farm, until she is captured by the marshal. You just got to love Lost, it's too amazing seriously! The episode are so enjoyable to watch, and it's never boring...even after watching them about five times! So - everyone has secrets, and there will be more of them, as we all know. I love the way Hurley acts towards Kate in this episode, it's so funny!moreless

No more bullets to save them from Polar Bears and Monsters...

By Jacob316, Feb 09, 2010

Ilike this episode it is slower than the Pilot but I think that is because it is meant to be calmer, people are starting too settle down and come to terms with being on the island for longer than they originally thought. There is a lot of character development in this one and it continues like this throughout the first three seasons, we see a lot more of Hurley in this episode and Locke who had smaller parts in the prevous episode. Locke was still mysterious e didn't know anything about him. Hurley's scene were my favourites here most notable the one with Kate which is always hilarious. I also liked his reaction to the gunfire very funny. We learn about how Kate was caught which was great timing by the writers because they could have dragged it out a bit but it was good to see straight after learning she was the fugitibe in the Pilot. I really enjoy the scene with Jack and Sawyer in the fuselage and the final scene with the portable CD player, a great and uplofting montage of the surviours but also a cool final shot of Locke.moreless

Appearances Are Deceptive

By Rufam, Dec 26, 2009

Kate is not the good girl who we all thought she was being forced down our throats as. Or is she? Because she may be a fugitive, but her heart is large and shiny. Plus, she's falling for Jack. And Jack cannot be deceived. Never. -

So, the traditional format of LOST is introduced. Overall, this isn't a memorable episode, just a decent one, with interesting flashbacks that, however, don't reveal much while minimum action takes place on the Island. It is a good episode, but not a great one and an interesting setup for Kate's backstory which is going to unfold fully in the seasons to come.moreless

It's hard to match the fantastic Pilot but this does a great job in pleasing the audience

By efc91, Oct 28, 2009

This was the first centric episode and based around how Kate got caaught in Australia. The flashbacks were good, loved the car crash scene were she got caught. The on island scene were very intresting, there was huge developments with the characters Jack, Kate and Sawyer the main ones. This was not as good as the Pilot but it kept the feel of the Pilot it was great seeing the characters adjust to there new home and the scene with Jack and Sawyer in the wreckage it was awesome. Overal episode 3 maintained the high standard the Pilot created but used a lot more drama than twists.moreless

The tradicional format of Lost

By Dante_Edy, Jun 16, 2009

This episode is more weaker, when is compared with the previous episode.

This episode starts with is core format that is to focus in one character while an event occurs in the island, and with this we have flashbacks about the character focused, this way we have mmore information on the characters and some chocking revelations.

Starting with kate was not a good choice, since we know she is a criminal, what we don´t know is what she did, and of course, the writers decided to keep it a secret, only to show us how she was caught.

Still, you can enjoy this episode.moreless

Third Episode.

By TvFreak7, Dec 08, 2008

In the last episode they tried to get the transmitter working. They heard a french women saying that she is alone, everyones dead, it killed them all and it has been playing for 16 years.

They all decided that when they got back to the beach they were not going to tell everyone else about what they heard because they do not want people to worry because everyone still thinks that they will be rescued soon. Micheal doesn't like that Walt is hanging out with Locke. Kate's backstory is explored through the moments of before the plane crash.

Another great episode.

Oh and in my previous review on Pilot(2) I metioned someone who I forgot their name and I said her name was Shane. It's Shannon. lol. Boone called her Shan and I thought it was Shane. lol. I cleared that up.

I really love this show.moreless

Now the story really begins

By DavidB226Morris, Nov 02, 2008

The title for this episode translates to 'blank slate', which at the end of the episode Jack more or less says that all the survivors of the crash now have. It also refers to how the series is going to proceed- for the first three seasons -- as the action on the island takes place, we will flash back to one of the characters life when they were off the island, in this case Kate.

And boy, does she have a story. We don't know exactly what crime Kate has committed to become a fugitive, though considering the marshal's pursuit and his attitude even as he lays dying, it's gotta be something horrible. Which is strange because we haven't seen anything really dangerous about Kate. Unlike her fellow explorers on the trek up the island, she seems trustworthy, and none of them seem to object to her holding the gun. Then again, considering what they learned in the last episode, maybe they've got weightier matters on their mind.

Naturally, Kate is concerned about the life of the marshal, who spends the episode deteriorating. But her concern isn't one of the prisoner – she seems to compassionate. We see that in her flashbacks, this time in Australia. It's clear hat she trusts this man, and even after he ends up betraying her for the reward, her escape is foiled, not when she crashes the car, but when she tries to go back for him. And that favor she asked of the Marshal just before the crash, was going to be that the rancher got the reward money. Furthermore, even though she has the guns she can't pull the trigger. But more on that later.

Even the episode is focused on Kate, several other characters begin to emerge. The most obvious is Sawyer. He's never seemed trustworthy before he pulled the gun; now, when we see him looting the fuselage for alcohol, smokes and God knows what else. It's kind of disgusting, but is it any less of a violation of the dead than Jack goes through the bodies in order to find medicine? Perhaps the difference between Jack and Sawyer is that Jack is playing by society's rules, while Sawyer knows we're in survival of the fittest territory. He seems to know this when he tries to convince Jack that it isn't worth wasting all that medicine trying to save a dead man, and when the Marshall is in extremis, he's the one who finally shoots him. Ah, but watch his reaction when he fails. He tries to maintain his bravado, but he can't hold his lighter steady to light his cigarette. This guy seems tough, but murder, even couched like this, seems beyond him, at least now.

Jack spends the better part of the episode tending to the marshal, which fits his caregiver image, but he still doesn't seem to be able to see the big picture. Even though it's a futile effort he goes to extremes to keep the man alive. He seems to have some kind of savior complex – which is ironic, as he is the one who has to end the dying man's suffering. It's clear that he's becoming an authority figure--- Sayed instructs the others not to tell what they heard on the broadcast, but Kate goes right to him as soon as they return. Jack seems to becoming the de facto leader, and it's clearly weighing on him.

By comparison, we only see the remaining characters in snapshots. But here's what the observer picks up. Sayid also seems to be taking a leadership role, and it's clear Jack and a lot of the others trust him, but people do not gravitate to him to same way they do to Jack. Perhaps even a million miles from civilization, old prejudices die hard. Hurley still seems like a decent enough guy--- he knows standing watch over a man who's dying can't be fun, but he doesn't beg off. However, he doesn't have the stomach to go searching through the bodies for medicine, meaning his bravery has a limit. Michael clearly has a labored relationship with Walt, which is made clear when he tells him doesn't like that he's become friends with Locke. There's also the issue of Vincent, who Michael agrees to look for even though he doesn't think he has a chance of finding him. Locke watches this drama play out in silence, carving some wood--- until we realize he's made a dog whistle. It says a lot for him that his first action is to go to Michael and tell him that he should bring Walt's dog back the rest of the way. Then there's the fact that he told Walt "a miracle happened" We're pretty sure that he doesn't just mean they survived this crash. He has something very specific in mind.

The Korean couple still seem to be detached. The man treats this woman--- who's name is Sun, we learn--- a lot like a servant. Go get the bag, clean yourself up. Yet there is some kind of passion in his eyes--- the 'I love you' he tells Sun doesn't seem to be by rote. Boone and Shannon barely register on the radar this episode, save to have a silly argument over the gun, and Charlie barely registers at all, except for a scene where he helps Claire carry some of her bags. He seems a little roguish so far-he seemed to flirt with Kate and Shannon in the previous episodes--- but he seems a little more attached to Claire then the others.

None of the bigger mysteries--- that thing in the woods, the radio signal, whatever Kate did to get herself arrested--- are answered in this episode, yet I was satisfied with 'Tabula Rasa', structurally and technically. Traditionally, the second episode after the Pilot has a much harder job than that of the premier-expectations are now high, and the formula of the story has to work However, thanks to the fine work of Evangeline Lilly--- we begin to get a look inside one of the more complicated characters on the show, and how there are really two sets of mysteries going on-the ones on the island, and the ones off it. Jack says that they should all be able to start over, and while this may be true for some of them, it's going to be a lot more difficult than they think. Kate's not a fugitive on the island. Question is, does she know that?

My score:9.1moreless