The Beginning of the End

Episode Reviews (117)

Superb

By thefanof, Jun 17, 2010

We have to go back! We have to go back! The most famous words uttered in Lost history, possibly, and after all those months we finally got to see how things turn out. Well, it was a good way to start the season, but we have to hope that things improve from year 3 of Lost. They just did too many things (people in cages, seriously?) and deviated it too far from the plot. Season 4 needs to show us why these people are here and explain how they will get home, and why they have to go back.

Good start, let's hope the season is great.moreless

Lives up to its title, and then some

By DavidB226Morris, Feb 28, 2010

Considering that all three previous seasons have been focused on Jack, it's somewhat surprising that Season 4 isn't centered around him. But then again, we're doing flashforwards now, and we know what Jack's future holds, so maybe there's some logic to in. (And it's not like this episode gives us nothing. In the opening teaser, we see Jack watching the news before going out. He has orange juice and spikes it with vodka. When he learns a minute before us whose involved in the high speed car chase that he's hearing about, he says: "Damn." Somehow, it doesn't sound like the voice of a concerned friend.)

But even if the episode didn't focus on Jack, Hurley would not seem like the obvious choice for a follow up. But the writers again know exactly what they're doing. On the island, Hurley has taken on the role of everyman, but as the series has unfolded, his role seems to be more critical. The numbers that led him to Australia in the first place seemed meaningless--- until we saw that they were on the hatch door and were the numbers we entered prior to pushing the button. There was talk that everything that happened on this island might have been a hallucination until 'Dave' in Season 2, which would seem to have repudiated that idea. The VW van that he ended up repairing in Season 3's 'Tricia Tanaka is Dead' seemed to be something of a throwaway, but as we just saw, Hurley used the van to take care of the Others and emerge a hero. Add to this the fact that Hurley was closest to Charlie of everything else on the island, it makes a certain amount of sense that we focus on him.

It is therefore somewhat sad when we the teaser ends and we see the man that has led LAPD through a high speed chase is Hurley, and the first words out of his mouth are "I'm one of the Oceanic 6!" (It's also a little hard to believe that Hurley's behavior was, by itself, enough to merit all the attention. Maybe there are answers we don't see.) Hurley then goes from the police to the mental institution again, convinced that he has gone crazy because he has seen Charlie again.

But then maybe Hurley was always prepared for this. In the opening minutes, he feels free for the first time on this series. His money is gone, he's saved the day, Charlie's alive. So--- he does a cannonball right into the ocean. The expression on his face is one of pure joy, and it takes us a moment to place it because--- well, no one's ever really looked happy on this island. And the minute he emerges from the sea, everything goes straight to hell. Charlie is dead, the people on the freighter aren't there to save them, there's just more madness ahead. It's probably the most gut wrenching moment so far.

Then we get signs that there's more to Hurley than meets the eye again. The people on the beach go to meet up with Jack, and as they hike through the woods, Hurley gets separated, and while he's away from them, he sees the cabin. He walks right up to it, understandably puzzled and sees everything Locke saw. Only this time, there's someone visible in the rocking chair, and though he doesn't know it, it's Christian Shephard. He sees something in the cabin, and runs screaming--- but he can't get away from it for some reason. In the flashforward, he has a bizarre encounter with Charlie, who seems to be telling him that he needs to go back to the island. We're still not sure why Hurley is seeing him, but this is the first of many dead people he will see in the second half of the series. Is it possible Hurley has a far greater connection to this island than even he know? That's one of the questions the series has to answer as it closes in on the end.

As fascinating as this, there's more going on than just Hurley. When we left our friends at the radio tower, Jack had just made contact. Now Locke has disappeared into the underbrush, bad enough, but a few moments later Naomi, who we're pretty sure got killed, manages to stagger off into the jungle. Then it seems that Naomi has left behind a dummy trail, but Jack, continuing his path of denial, refuses to admit that this is a possibility. And once again demonstrating that she'll never be able to listen to him, Kate goes into the jungle after her, and takes the SAT phone with her. It's very telling that even though Jack has just led his people to what seems to be certain rescue, she still doesn't have faith that he's making the right choice. Eventually, the two groups end up meeting, and Locke reemerges.. Quite frankly, no one's happy to see him. But now Jack's rage again Locke goes to a whole new level. They've always been violent, but now Jack completely snaps, grabbing Locke's gun, and pulling the trigger---- only to find it's empty. Suddenly, it's a whole new ballgame. Locke may be a cold-blooded killer, but the only reason Jack isn't was is because there were no bullets left.

All through his leadership, Jack has refused to accept that the island is anything other than an island. When the hatch was discovered, he refused to see pushing the button as anything other than an exercise--- he was wrong. He spent a good part of the first two seasons trying to defend the survivors against the Others, then in Season 3, he made a Faustian deal with Ben to get off the island--- Locke may have thwarted this attempt to escape, but he was wrong to trust Ben. And right now, it seems absurd to believe that the people on the freighter are anything other than their salvation. But given what we saw Charlie do in his last moments, there's a very good chance that's he wrong again. And now he refuses to believe that in extremis Naomi would do anything other than leave a false trail---- wrong again. Jack refuses to accept anything he can't understand, so Locke's idea that the island is so much more than an island repulses him. The irony is, we've seen Jack's future, and he now seems to have completely come around to Locke's point of view. We just don't know why yet.

When the group reunites not far from the fuselage of the plane crash, Locke makes his case, and tells the people they have to find rescue, and that he's taking them back into the lion's den--- the barracks where the Others had holed up in Season 3. When he makes his pitch, Hurley then tells his reasons for going with Locke, and a real divide emerges. Claire and Aaron join them (she believes in Charlie) Rousseau, Alex and Karl follow (well, they have no reason to leave the island). Then Ben says he wants to with Locke (even though, theoretically he shouldn't have a choice, but then again, Jack wants to deal with him even less than Locke) The biggest shocker is Sawyer. Considering all the effort that eh put into this (and that he tried so hard to get off the island in Season 1), it's kind of astounding, but then again considering what we saw of him in the last couple of episodes, maybe Sawyer doesn't think there's anything out there worth it for him anymore.

Equally surprising is who goes with Jack and Kate. Rose, who said she'd never leave the island, elects to go with Jack because Locke is a murderer. Bernard goes with her, so do Jin, Sun, and Sayid. But the most telling person is Desmond. He got the message from Charlie that Penny was not on the freighter, and yet he elects to go with them. Why? Probably for the same reason, Juliet goes with them--- she's been on this island far longer than she wanted to be, and right now, any escape looks good to her.

We don't know yet what's going to happen, but it's pretty clear that it will be epic. And yet, in the final flash Hurley apologizes to Jack for electing to go with Locke. What happened in between? And what kind of story are the Oceanic 6 telling to the rest of the world? Hurley is interviewed by Mike, the cop we saw Ana Lucia partnered with in her flashbacks. He asks about Ana when he's interrogating her, and Hurley simply says he doesn't know her. What kind of facade are they putting up? And why is it serious enough for Jack to be worried? There are also a buttload more questions--- who is this Matthew Abaddon who comes to ask ever Hurley when he's institutionalized? Who are the other members of the Oceanic 6? And who is that mysterious man who jumps out of a helicopter onto the island asking for Jack?

'The Beginning of the End' is both literally and figuratively an accurate title for this episode. If nothing else, it will be the beginning of the real brilliance of Jorge Garcia as an actor, as Hurley will be taken to his limits as a man. But for some of the characters on the island, this isn't even the beginning of the end, but really the end of the beginning.

My score: 9moreless

Strong Season Premiere!!!!!

By Dante_Edy, Jul 14, 2009

Plot Details/Objective - » The complication was Set in the Season Finale, so this time was about management Jack and Co timing. Take for Example the sudden Naomi revival, just a distraction for Jack and CO, until the climax arrived, When Jack and Locke get their fight and Everyone decide in which side they want to be. Hurley Flashback was a Smart Move by the writers, since Hurley was (besides Desmond) Charlie Best Friend. His Flash Forward's is the highlight of this episode, since only one thing happened with the tribe – Division. Now someone new Arrived in the Island.

What I Like/Disliked -» Hurley Flashbacks was the Highlights of this episodes. The tribe division was nice and Hurley finding the Supposed Jacob Cabin was a nice Hint.

Overall:

Presentation -» (9/10))Strong, not has strong like Season 2 and 3 which was impressive, still, the presentation of this episode is like other season premiere of Lost, information and surprises.

Action -» None. Wasn´t Really necessary. Maybe you can count Jack fight with Locke?

Adventure -» (8/10). Hurley finding the Jacob Supposed Cabin.

Drama/Emotions -» (9/10). Charlie Dead was more sad than this, but the reunion was great, even if they were separated for a little time. Hurley speech was beautiful. His way of Showing emotions was touching.

Suspense/Tension -» (5/10). Hard to say, maybe when you want to Know what Jack will do with Locke.

Surprise/Twists -» (7/10). There are the shocking Scene when Charlie appear to Hurley, simply shocking. The ending have a surprise, not unexpected.

Complication Phase -» (7/10). Nothing bad here, very attractive since Charlie dead could change everything. What I didn´t like was Naomi unnecessary disappearance.

Climax -» (8/10). Is always great to see when the tribe have their conflict and from which side they will choose.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (7/10). Nothing for other world, just something to feed the audience until the next episode.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (9/10). Hurley flash Forward´s was with some hints. Only six escaped from the Island. There is a strange Man after Hurley. Jack is ok in the future, so what happened to him later is unknown. Hurley regrets to join Locke? Hurley find Jacob Cabin with Jack´s Father inside and with someone that appear to be Locke?

Thoughts Changer -» (9/10). The Jacob Cabin. What Hurley said to Jack in the Future. Time and Scenes Management -» (7/10). Naomi problem could be avoided. All Hurley Scenes was very well placed.

Flash-forward's -» (10/10). I think that Hurley scenes in the future hade everything.

Strong Season Premiere, but I don´t Rate it 9 yet, until I see the next episodes!!!moreless

Three seasons past, three seasons future. The Beginning of the End of Lost starts here!

By martync7, May 18, 2009

After the game changing thrill ride that was the Season 3 finale, Through the Looking Glass, arguably the best episode the show has produced [at least of what I have seen so far, at the time of writing - I am still playing catch-up]. Unfortunately, for me, i am a huge spoiler junkie and I can't seem to shake it off. Season 5 has just reached its conclusion here in the UK and I promised myself that I wouldn't spoil the finale until I watched it. I went against my promise. Then again that could be said about the rest of Season 4 and 5 together. The interesting thing, however, when you know what essentially happens, in the future, is that you can watch the show calmly analysing how events led to things further down the line and how things would get even more complicated than they are right now. When "Through the Looking Glass" first aired the entire Lost community erupted onto the forums and message boards the world over, furiously speculating over the unexpected first flashforward device, not to mention Naomi's mysterious boat people, Charlie's death and the demise of the Others.

It was a compelling chapter in the Lost saga, which couldn't have come at a better time. Halfway through Season 3 the series was in the doldrums, but somehow, the writers pulled it back, with some fantastic stories. The final four of the series, in particular, were arguably some of the best episodes the series had produced so far. Following that reboost of creative energy could have been a tough task, but "The Beginning of the End" does an admirable job of being the most appropriate continuation of the story. Some fans would grumble that it was a little low key, but remember, the very first episode aside, every premiere episode has been quite low key. In fact this Season 4 premiere reminds me alot like the Season 2 premiere, "Man of Science, Man of Faith". Much of the storyline was shot at night, flaming torches included and alot of the events were quite creepy. Instead of visions of Walt though you had Jacob's cabin and visions of Christian Shepherd and possibly the infamous Jacob himself, who gets a second of screen time as his eye pops into frame freaking out Hurley and the audience. Another nice parrallel between the Season 2 and Season 4 premiere is that two seasons on and nothing has really changed in the survivors camp, when things get tense. Locke and Jack continue to bivker, although in this episode it has escaulated into violence and murderous intent. All the survivors remain paranoid, yet at the same time, seemingly unprepared and clueless as to what to do or how to react to the problems that surround them.

Another parrallel to times gone past was how the survivors camp was split, just like it was when some survivors went to live in the caves and the rest remained on the beach. Again this proves that the characters haven't changed too much. They may have changed as individuals but as a team they still resort to the same decisions. Surprisingly, the first centric episode of the season goes to Hurley. The first three seasons all began with Jack and we kind of got used to that fact, so much so as people immediately assumed it was to be a Jack episode during the months beforehand. Seeing as how the final episode of S3 was Jack-centric, it seemed unfair for Jack to have another one, unless they were to have only Jack and Kate leave the island. So now we know that others did survive and leave the Island, despite what ever danger awaits them from the offshore freighter. Some might find the flashforward device a bit like reading spoilers in a way. Now you know that Hurley gets off the island at some point, we cannot be allowed to get concerned if Hurley ends up in a "life and death" situation during the continuing island story. Prior to the end of Season 4 people were worried that the rest of the show would be about linking up the closing moments of Season 3's flashforward with the current island events of this episode and it would go roughly linear in both the island and the flashforwards. The writers would over time show us that that would not be the case and that the flashforwards would not be the intended conclusion of the show.

If the flashforwards are spoilery to some extent they netherless allow for an interest on how events on the island lead to the rescue and that's how the enjoyment should remain. Hurley's flashforward tells us little more about the current psychology of the characters. Hurley, like Jack, later on, wants to return to the island, in order to save the remaining people on the island, who couldn't get off. The fact that not everyone leaves the island, is also a way to prove that the flashforward device will not become a spoiler. the question as to who will become a member of the so called "Oceanic Six" would be the hot debate for many during the first half of the season. On reflection it might have been nice if we didn't know who all of them were so soon, to keep the speculations up for the remainder of the season. One of the more interesting parts of Hurley's forward-story, was the introduction of the shadowy, Matthew Abbadon, whose identity and purpose would not be revealed until Season 5, although speculation would prove to be correct.

Abbadon's presence, would seem to suggest that even off the island, the survivors are not safe, and that their celebrity status has warrented them unwanted attention. Though, not everyone was happy, I liked that we didn't get the Freighter Folk thrown at us from the get-go. We needed a set-up from the beginning of the season, an episode to get us back into the show gently, following such a mind-bending finale and an 8-month wait for new episodes. It felt like a good old fashioned Lost episode, something that was needed before things would evolve into something very different.

A decent beginning to a show nearing closer to its conclusion.moreless

The castaways think that they're about to be rescued.

By Writer2000, Sep 12, 2008

Let me just start out by saying that I think that this episode was absolutely amazing and a great way to start out the fourth season. I thought that this episode was extremely action packed and exciting which is exactly what I love the most about Lost. I loved all of the flash forwards in this episode. They all very well done. When I watch this episode, I still can't believe that Charlie is dead, but I know that he is. Although, it was great seeing him in Hugo's hallucination. Claire's reaction to Charlie's death was very well written and very well acted. I loved Hugo in this episode. He was definitely my favorite aspect of this episode. All things considered, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost from everyone involved, and I can't wait watch the rest of season four.moreless

A worthy follow-up to the brathe-taking finale that "Through the Looking Glass" was!

By JBentham, Aug 30, 2008

"The Beginning of the End" (TBOTE) was a great episode. I just want to lay that out before I go into deep analysis. I was a bit sceptical about this episode. I figured, there's no way it could live up to it's hype and that it would be underwhelming.

After all, we all remember the awesome season 2 finale and the season 3 premiere following it. It was good, but sort of a letdown.

However, this episode was a pleasant surprise. Perhaps, the opening scene wasn't as spectacular as some people hoped for. In season 1 we got the realization that the show starts AFTER the crash. In season 2 we got the amazing hatch reveal, in season 3 we got the W-T-F otherville reveal - in season 4, we find out how many people got rescued, and the identity of another one besides Kate and Jack.

Hurley is also off the island - and so are 5 others. They are referred to as the Oceanic Six.

I loved the opening, and if you don't compare it to the first 3 season's opener, just simply look at it in itself, or, compare it with other shows, you'll love it too.

The rest of the episode, however, was actually better than the first 3 premiere episodes' continuation after the cold opening.

Loved that it was a direct continuation to the season 3 finale. Loved that the writers didn't instantly jump to "random people arriving on the island to rescue the survivors" storyline.

Hurley's flashforwards were exciting. This was the first "traditional" flashforward so obviously it was very informative. Hurley going crazy again is definitely a very stressful fate for his character - just like how Jack became a drunk.

It was interesting to see that at the time Hurley goes crazy, Jack is still normal. Hurley has his "we have to go back" scene, while Jack just claims he is crazy. Knowing how Jack's perspective will change, made the Jack/Hurley scenes very intriguing - gotta love the flashforward formula.

Another high point was Charlie appearing to Hurley. Weather it was really him, or just Hurley visioning, or the island itself, well... I leave it to you to speculate. All I know is that I really enjoyed their scenes together. Nice brain teaser.

Also - Lance Reddick's character (Matthew Abbaddon) visiting Hurley and claiming he is a lawyer when he's not - typical Lost creep-out moment.

On the island, the two most important developments were the survivors splitting up and Hurley visiting Jacob. Well, sort of.

I really didn't think the writers would go back to Jacob so soon, but oh boy, I don't mind. A freaky scene that showed Christian sitting in Jacob's cabin, but also, there was another person in the cabin - Jacob himself? Oh, and apparently, the cabin has the ability to move. I'm not a fan of speculating or anything, because, if I was, I would be very disappointed.

The first time we met Jacob and his cabin, many people made up some really cool theories, and now, suddenly, with a 30 second scene, the writers destroyed them all. I love that, but if I was a "serious" theorists,I'd hate it. This also hints that Hurley is "Special". He made the cabin disappear the same way he made Charlie disappear. The survivors splitting up was the peak point of the episode. First of all, Jack had Locke at gunpoint, but he actually pulled the trigger, unlike Locke! And not only did Locke NOT pull the trigger in the finale, he never really loaded the gun. So this makes Locke look rather "innocent" and Jack, totally guilty - if the gun was loaded, he would've killed Locke. Amazing scene. Now the split up itself was great. Desmond brings the bad news and that's the final "nail in the coffin" for Jack: it seems that half of the group does believe Locke that the rescue party isn't exactly there to... rescue anyone.

Hurley's speech about Charlie was touching, and it was an excellent way to re-experience his death. Claire's reaction was heart breaking, Emilie de Ravin did an outstanding job. Now, I was surprised to see Rose go with Jack's group. She is dying after all and she believes that staying on the island is the only way for her to live, right? However, it's strongly suggested that what Locke does is completetly against her morals, which means she'd rather choose death in a few months than living with a killer leading the rest of her live. Another surprise was Desmond going with Jack. Surely, he's all there for Penny but that really could've been explained by himself.

I like that Lost leaves lots of things for us to figure out. But sometimes, they leave too much. This was definitely a negative point of this otherwise fantastic episode - there should've been a scene where Jack and Desmond have a brief dialouge that explains why he's with Jack not Locke, even though he was the one who delivered the news about the freighter.

Another negative point was Naomi's resurrection. It was corny. And it definitely did damage the dramatic effect of the season 3 finale's last island scene. I have strong doubts that someone who gets stabbed like that has the ability to sneak away from a place full of people and then climb on a tree and manage to almost fight off a strong woman in perfect condition. That's just... too much.

But other than that - no problems what so ever.

At the end, Kate and Jack having a short moment of nostalgia at the fuselage was wonderful. Well written scene and I just loved how this entire episode revolved around Charlie's death. It was very subtle, but he was the central point all along.

The last scene marks the true "beginning" of the season 4 arc - one of the freighties landing on the island. Overall, a superb premiere that was very adventurous and hit hard with the emotions, but it wasn't quite flawless. There were some mistakes in the writing here and there, but luckily, nothing too major.moreless

Flashforward ep with Hurley in the center of attention.

By Dirrtydancing, Jun 18, 2008

Until this ep I was soooo convinced that Charlie isn't dead, or at least I hoped so til today. But now I'm not that sure anymore. I cried a lot when Hurley told Claire about Charlies death. They were my fav couple at Lost and now Claire and Aaron are alone. I'm still confused about the whole "Locke is right, Jack is wrong"-thing. All the time it seemed like the people coming now on the island are the evil ones and then Hurley says in the Flashforward that he should have listen to Jack instead of Locke and that is confusing me totally. So I'm looking forward to see the next ep.moreless

Lost returns for it's fourth season. This was well worth the wait, exciting premiere

By j19000, May 18, 2008

After so long of waiting, the new season finally arrived.

This episode continued from where it left off with Jack and the survivors succeeding with contacting Naomi's boat, but she's definitely not who she said she was, so what exactly will happen when her boat lands onto the island?

As for the flash forwards, I'm not too keen on them because we're getting answers that come directly from after they have been rescued and it does kind of feel weird. I'll probably get used to it soon. I just hope we get some more flashbacks soon.

Each episode usually has a sad part and we all know what that was this time. It was Hugo having to tell Claire the awful truth about Charlie's death and by this stage, Locke and Jack were against each other forming groups to follow Locke or Jack. Somehow I don't know which one of the two was right but yeah, it's hard to figure out. The scene where Ana-Lucia was mentioned was silly as Hugo lied to the cop, but again, more suspense.

What was more great was the fact that Naomi was still alive when the call came through. She decided to go with Kate and let them be rescued. Wonderful.

Then Hugo's sights in the jungle, Jacob? Wow...

By the time the episode ended, I couldn't believe it was over.. already. It was an instant classic, brilliant. Well, we have to wait until next week for the continuation.

Overall, a fine beginning to the new season and it was definitely worth the wait.moreless

The beginning of the end of a fine show.

By goldtop2007, May 13, 2008

Well, that was a big letdown for my part at least.

I'm getting seriously sick of not getting any real answers.

The writers are always buying time, trusting that the strong fanbase will forgive them and keep eating up whatever crumbs they get.

I've always loved this show, especially the first season, but it's going downhill fast. This episode was in parts hilarious for all the wrong reasons, and quite boring. We deserved better after waiting for such a long time. The last season finale promised more than this. Will I start to hate the characters soon? I hope not, since they are the show's greatest asset.

Time to wrap it up guys, and I mean sooner rather than later.moreless

Load More Reviews