The Brig

Episode Reviews (139)

Superb

Sawyer and Locke connected

By Hexsins, Feb 06, 2011

This is one of my favorite episodes because it's interesting to see how one man, Locke's father, can affect two men, Sawyer and Locke, so differently. And yet, in the end, they both need him to die.

This episode also introduces the idea that the survivors may in fact be dead, and that the island then must be some kind of afterlife/purgatory. I'm not too hip to this idea, but perhaps it's all just a lie. Back to Sawyer and Locke. It was really satisfying to see both men finally move on because we all really know they have much more greatness in them ready to be developed. This was a wonderful turning point in the series, and I'm looking forward to seeing how both men change.

Three seasons of character arc come to an end here, and the payoff was spectacular.

A final note, I usually see plot twists way ahead of time, but I never imagined that Sawyer and Locke's history could be so believably tied together.moreless

A defining for two characters ends in death

By DavidB226Morris, Jan 03, 2010

Ever since he landed on the island, Locke has been on a journey that has been becoming increasingly solitary, and it seemed pretty clear that the survivors weren't going to see him again, especially after he blew up the sub. So when he shows up in the teaser of 'The Brig' and tells Sawyer that he has kidnapped Ben, and has brought him back, we are instantly doubtful, especially when he tells him that he wants to kill Ben. This is particularly suspicious considering that he's barely exchanged two words with him since Sawyer humiliated him by tricking him into taking guns. His behavior isn't that of a vengeful man, though; he seems more detached calmly reciting the list of all the wrongs that Sawyer had committed before he came to the island. To be perfectly honest, he now sounds a lot like one of the Others, and we can soon see why.

In the first flashback to an island event since Michael's encounter with the Others in Season 2's 'Three Minutes', we see that Locke was offered by Ben a chance to have the keys to the kingdom. However, Ben has been setting up Locke for his own special revenge, because of what we see. Everybody on the Others looks upon Locke with reverence, and it's clear they all think Locke is special. So Ben sets him up by telling him he has to make an offering--- the murder of his father. Considering all of the hell that we've seen Anthony Cooper put Locke through in his flashbacks, you would think that the man would jump at the chance to do him in. But as always, Locke has trouble following through. Cooper has a hold on him that he can't break, even when he truly does have all the power.

What Locke hasn't realized is that Ben's power is waning. Even though for the first time since his operation earlier this season, he is now able to walk, it's pretty clear that people don't trust him as much. This becomes obvious when Richard hands over Sawyer's file, all while reinforcing how special he is. Since Richard up until now has been seen as Ben's inferior, it's hard to believe he'd give in. We shall eventually learn that Richard has a longer history with Locke than he knows about--- mainly because it hasn't happened yet. (Confused? It will make sense--- sort of--- by Season 5.)

So Locke goes to see Sawyer and takes him to the Black Rock, which we haven't visited (though there've been a couple of trips there in Season 2) since 'Exodus' when they came to get the dynamite to open the hatch. Locke explains to him that this is a slaving ship, but doesn't bother to tell him how it ended up in the middle of the island, and Sawyer doesn't think to ask. (This just goes to prove how none of the survivors of this plane crash really seem to want an explanation for all the strange things that are happening on this island.) He then proceeds to lock Sawyer in the brig with Cooper, and then just sits there as Rousseau--- who we haven't seen since 'The Man From Tallahassee'--- comes to pick up dynamite. She doesn't ask about the noise; he doesn't ask what she wants the explosives for. Does anybody communicate around here?

Meanwhile, back on the beach, Hurley has persuaded his little group to bring Sayid in to their confidence about the woman who they saved. Her name is Naomi Dorrit, and she tells an interesting tale of what has happened to Oceanic 815, that she came hear to rescue Desmond because she was hired by Penelope Widmore, that there is a freighter roughly eighty nautical miles away, and that she may bring rescue if they can just fix her sat phone. They do fix it, but the signal is still being jammed. The secret doesn't stay secret for long because Kate finds out about it. No sooner does she learn about that then she runs straight to Jack and tells him everything. And Jack goes right back to the holier-than-thou man we had to endure for the last couple of seasons, especially in regard to Kate. And when she tells him that nobody trusts him any more, he doesn't seem to care much about that either. Have they gotten to Jack? They haven't, but his attitude sure seems that way.

Back in the brig, a critical confrontation is building. Cooper then proceeds to do something Locke has not seen fit to tell anyone--- something about their history together. He also tells Sawyer that he's pretty sure that he's gone to hell--- especially since he was rear ended on the I-10. (Did the Others have something to do with it? I think so, but my guess is we'll never know for sure.) Then the minute Sawyer hears how Cooper conned Locke out of a kidney, he realizes something that some other fans had theorized the minute they heard Cooper was a con man--- he's the man who conned Sawyer's parents out of $38,000 and indirectly caused both their deaths. The second he realizes he's face to face with his lifelong nemesis, he hands Cooper the letter that he's been carrying for almost thirty years. Only Cooper refuses to play along. He doesn't read the letter all the way through, he insults Sawyer's mother and Sawyer himself. It is the act of ripping the letter Sawyer has carried all this time--- that survived the island, the raft blowing up, the Others,--- that throws him into a blind rage. But the moment it's over---he realizes that his pain isn't gone. His parents are still dead, and he got no satisfaction from the kill. We see that when he reels out of the brig, vomiting and sick. His life has been for nothing. It's brilliant work, and Josh Holloway should have gotten an Emmy nomination for that scene alone.

Locke, in the meantime, is filled with peace. He has finally triumphed over Cooper, even if he didn't deal the final blow himself. And his revenge has left him satisfied. When he puts Cooper's body on his back, he doesn't seem to feel the weight of it, because the burden of his father has been lifted from his shoulder at last.

Admittedly, this episode is a bit of marking time before we go into the final stretch. But two of the major characters have fulfilled their lifelong goals. Before he leaves Sawyer, Locke hands him the tape that Juliet left for Ben in 'D.O.C.' and reveals his plans. However, he then sets off after the Others. He has no interest in schemes, and definitely doesn't want to be rescued. But he doesn't know just where this journey will take him.

My score: 9moreless

Epic Storyline and Great Setups!!!1

By Dante_Edy, Jul 13, 2009

Objective - » With the last five episodes, it was time to setup all the events and to make another revelation and mysteries. Who is the most appropriated person for this? John Locke, the loved one. Locke is the focus, with both his situation on the Island and the flashback from the Island too. One nice Detail is how the old flashbacks details gain more importance and value when they are used to create a great episode like this. Another focus is Naomi, the new character.

Flashbacks -» Nice details there and the beginning was nice and mysterious. But since he is with tem, it is easy to create mystery, this also happens in the set of the complication phase, Ben really knows how to manipulate people and why the Others were expecting Locke is something to be revealed later in this episode. Ben makes Locke life more difficult to humiliate Locke and make is leadership strong. Also, I noticed that this flashback only sets the complication phase, so this is a setup. His conversation with Richard was nicely done too.

Locke Event on The Island -» This begins to be strong, when Locke appear only to James. This already set one of complication phase (more for James) when Locke says that he is infiltrated and he have Ben, so he want James to come with him and kill Ben, but we already know that his is not the case here. How he manipulates James was nicely done. The interaction between Sawyer and Locke is priceless. The climax for this James Complication Phase was is interaction with the Man responsible for his dark childhood, and again, is something priceless. The ending it is was you expect and this already set the next event on the Island

Sub Plot -» It is about the strange woman and everybody already saw the presentation, so this was about to set the complications, since the audience want to Know what this unknown woman until now knows about our survivors. Even Jack is not Trusted because of Juliet presence and this set the first complication, who they trust and the best person for this? Sayid, the torturer. This make his interaction with Naomi was another priceless interaction that only Lost can Provide. Things get more complicated since Jack and Juliet are sharing secrets

Overall:

1 - Plot Holes: Gold. Didn´t Notice.

2 - Time and Scenes Management: Gold. Even if two storylines are a setup, all the scenes seems very important.

3 - Surprises/Twist/Shocks/Cliffhangers: Gold. There are a surprise, that make this episode a epic one. No cliffhanger this time.

4 - Action: Wasn´t necessary.

5 - Funny: Bronze. Maybe Hugo lines

6 - Drama: Gold. Sawyer and Locke stole the moment.

7 - Tension/Fear: Exactly what the climax offers when Sawyer is applying is payback.

8 - Excitement Level (curiosity/Mystery/Doubt/Revelations: Gold. You want to discover more about the Others and their plan? Want to Know who is Naomi? Want to Know how Sawyer will apply his Payback? This episode is obligatory.

This episode is a setup, which has a storyline inside that has to be ended. However, what could be a normal setup, created a strong episode, one of the Best in this Season. Locke is an Character that the audience love to see, and Sawyer Vengeance which seemed impossible to be successful, could be done in this episode. The events in the bleach continue to be a setup too, but an interesting one. So, there is a 93% probability that you will like this epic episode.moreless

Despite Lost being a great show all round, there are still some episodes that make you realise just how amazing this show is. This is one of them.

By Lostrules1, Nov 19, 2008

I have to say that when Lost is over there will be a handful of episodes that I will look back on with the most fondness. The Brig is one them.

This episode had everything: mythology, mysteries revealed, action, character development and alot of terrific acting. I will start with the terrific acting. When it comes to awards on this show, the writers tend to give the most emotional performances to the main cast members such as Matthew Fox, Evangeline Lilly and Terry O Quinn. However Josh Holloway proved in this episode that he is a world class actor with a lot more vesatility than giving Kate some alluring looks. The entire scene between Josh Holloway and Kevin Tighe was simply genious. In this episode we discover that Ben wants Locke to kill his father or he will never be able to join the others. Locke soon realises even though Cooper ruined his life he is not able to kill him and Ben seems happy with this. Until Richard Alpert gives Locke a way out...Locke should get Sawyer to kill Cooper. And that's when the mystery that has plagued fans of Sawyer since the season 1 episode, "Confidence Man," is finally revealed...Anthony Cooper is the real Mr. Sawyer and he is the reason that Sawyer's parents are dead. At the beginning of the scene were Locke has Cooper and Sawyer locked in the Black Rock (Also amazing!!) we see the utter shock and unrealisation that Josh Holloway is putting across when Sawyer realises what is going on. The man that he has dedicated his life to killing is finally at his mercy and he begins to play out his fantasy in much the way he imagined it. Kevin Tighe's comical quibs throughout the scene are both hilarious and cruel but it is still Holloway's screams of rage and looks of pure sadness that make me want to watch this episode again and again. If Holloway didn't win an emmy for this episode, then he should have. But whilst there was good acting in this episode the character development was also relevent. Locke finally let go of Cooper and is beginning his journey to find more answers, Sawyer is finally able to move forward in his life instead of hanging in this self hating limbo and there was even development going on at the beach.

The beach story I have to admit took a back seat but it was still fascinating to learn more about the mysterious Naomi Dorrit and why she is on the island. Sayid soon begins to distrust her when he asks Desmond whether he actually saw her helicopter but soon changes his mind when Naomi reveals she has a radio that they can use to contact her freighter. However Sayid is still refusing to tell Jack, still not being able to trust him since he brought Juliet back to the camp. When Kate finds out that no-one plans on telling him she does it herself but Jack's answer is extremely ambiguous. It seems he and Juliet know something we don't and this plays out leading up to the season finale. It seems that it was Evangeline Lilly's performance that was the pinacle of the beach scenes. The way she looks at Jack when he is sitting with Juliet is heartbreaking, simply because he seems not to be the man that she left behind at the others camp. He is becoming less and less the focal point of the group and she realises that he is becoming more involved with Juliet for it. If Jack and Kate will ever work things out seems to be something that will carry on throughout the next three seasons and lets hope its just as bumpy and emotional as it has been so far. All in all this episode was a winner and definately my favourite of season 3 so far. Anthony Cooper is finally dead, Jack and Juliet are planning something mysterious and Locke is off to join the others and learn more answers about the island. Most certainly an episode that defines this season.moreless

A Locke-centric episode.

By Writer2000, Nov 13, 2008

As a whole, I thought that this was an absolutely amazing episode. The fact that I liked this episode so much really surprised me given the fact that this is a Locke-centric episode and I'm not a very big fan of the character Locke. Although, I have to admit that most of my enjoyment of this episode has to do with Sawyer's involvement with Locke's story line. Josh Holloway did an amazing job in this episode with his performance as Sawyer. This episode really proves that the producers made the perfect choice when they cast Josh Holloway as Sawyer. One thing that I didn't like about this episode was fact that Juliet wasn't feature very much in this episode. I love her character, so I wish they would have used her more in this episode. All in all, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost, and I can't wait to watch the rest of my Lost: Season Three DVD so I can find out how the season ends.moreless

...

By iewuxis, Oct 06, 2008

Finally Sawyer met the old man Sawyer, because of whom his dad killed his mum and after that himself. From one side it was quite shocking that this son of a b*tch was Lock's father. But from another side, not really. It's kinda interesting how all the passengers' lives are linked up. Everyone has a secret and these secrets cross each other. In fact I'm waiting for the moment when Jack will get to know that Claire is his step-sister. It'll be very, very exciting. Can't wait for it. Sometimes I hate all these things that didn't end in one episode, but it's the motive why I'm still watching it. It's quite interesting with what Sawyers and Kate's affair will end up.moreless

A truly epic adventure. Endings and beginnings.

By PabloExobar, Jul 15, 2008

What a beautiful episode. The writers often go back to long abandoned storylines and shake them up a bit. That's always lovely.

But has it ever been better than this? I don't think so.

Locke returns and asks for Sawyer's help to kill Ben who Locke captured.

Of course, even at this point, the audience is aware of that it's not Ben, but Locke's father. What the audience might not be aware of is how he's connected to Sawyer.

'might'. Of course the hardcore lost fans already know for almost sure that Locke's father is the man who conned Sawyer's mother which initally led to both her and his father's death.

Even knowing this - this was something incredible. Seeing how it plays out: the build up... oh my god.

Has a Lost episode ever been darker? Someone brought somewhere to kill someone in cold blood.

Brilliant writing, and even better directing. The location where the execution takes place is amazing: the Black Rock.... some incredible camera angles.

The best part was, undoubtedly, the 5-10 minute long scene between "Sawyer" and "Sawyer"... how James slowly realizes who he is talking to. And then, the letter from 1x8 returns. Is this it? James can finally deliver his letter?

But Anthony crushes it... and that, was a fatal mistake. Cooper's dead. Once and for all. James is now a changed man. His "life goal" was accomplished. And so is Locke's. With Anthony dead, there's nothing that can stand between him and answers.

Locke starts carrying his dead father as the camera follows his face which clearly reads hope. As he starts walking faster, the camera slides away, shows the sun as it smash cuts to....

LOST.

One of the greatest episodes ever. Amazingly powerful ending. No cliffhanger, but oh god... that was incredible. The music, Terry O'Quinn's face, everything. I was blown away.moreless

We have Locke discovering that it really is his father behind the tape and is tied to the chair, Locke gets Sawyers attention and wants him to do a favour and we see that Ben has a hidden agenda, not noticeable but there for sure.

By captainbritain, Jun 28, 2008

It starts with a mini flashback of Locke, from him giving his kidney, getting thrown out of the window, to the first day on the island and to his chats with Ben prior to blowing up the submarine and then the appearance of his father on the island. He is reading through a file, which he then burns.

We then go to a series of "so many days ago", we see him taking the gag off of him and being warned not too and then being bitten by him.

We also have Kate slipping out of Sawyers bed as she is unable to sleep apart from in her own bed, so that leaves Sawyer awake and in need of the gents, he sees Jin and Hurley by a shelter, when asked they are also going to the toilet. As Sawyer is indisposed, Locke appears, says he isnt working with the others, just infiltrated them, that a couple hours ago he snuck into Bens tent, tied him up and kidnapped him. Sawyer goes after Locke.

We flashback a few days to where Locke has finished helping Cindy do up her tent, getting it all together before he is called away and asked to go and see Ben, he is still in a wheelchair but he explains that a week ago when Locke came into his presence, he then started to get feeling back into his legs, but that he isn't ready to accept the island as he still has hang ups with his father, only then can he be committed.

Locke leads Sawyer through the jungle to take him to go and kill Ben, sawyer wants to know why its him, why he can't do it himself, because he's tried but he can't but he thinks Sawyer can. Sawyer has very mixed emotions regarding this.

The boys are talking regarding letting Jack know that they have an injured parachutist, but Des thinks that he can not be trusted, that he has been in the company of the others for too long. The only person that they can trust is Sayid and they get more information, how Niomi was hired to find Desmond that her company were given a set of co-ordinates to the island, she said, no just co-ordinates to the middle of the ocean, that how she had been looking with her helicopter, then had mechanical issues, grabbed her parachute and bailed out.

Locke leads Sawyer to the Black Rock, which he has not been to before, but Locke locks him in the brig with his tied up father, when Danielle comes into get some dynamite. Locke flashes back to meeting Richard and is told about Ben's motives for embarrassing Locke, he gives him a file and asks him to serve his purpose and gives him Sawyers file.

Meanwhile back in the brig, sawyer is getting madder, but then ungags lockes father, he then finds out more about the situation and finds out about his past, then as he gets mocked about his own past, he finds the man who caused his family so much heartache, that he kills him as predicted.

Back on the beach, having been told about the parachutist, Kate goes to get Jack for a private word, he insists that he can say what it is in front of Juliet as they have no secrets. She explains that they have an injured parachutist, Naomi, that they have a way to contact them by a radio phone. Juliet says to Jack that they should tell her, but Jack says no.

Jack and Sawyer part ways at the end, but not before Locke tells Sawyer that he is going back to infiltrate them, but tells them that Juliet is a mole and was sent to find out about the women in their group, then hands him a cassette player. Sawyers sets off for the beach leaving Locke to carry his fathers body on his back to the others.moreless

OMG

By efc91, Jun 09, 2008

Locke breaks away from the Others in an attempt to persuade Sawyer to kill Locke's father, who is actually the original "Sawyer," who caused the death of Sawyer's parents. Naomi says that Oceanic Flight 815 was found and that there were no survivors. Finnaly we got to see Sawyer meet the real Sawyer (Anthony Cooper ,Lockes Dad) and what a clash it was Sawyer back to his old self and Anthony being a total mess, I always new Locke and Sawyer had a connection right from the start of the series. This is a great episode of lost with many memeroble momments.moreless

Load More Reviews