The Economist

Episode Reviews (70)

Superb

Apparently, Sayid sold his soul.

By JBentham, Nov 18, 2010

After finishing this episode, most of us Lost fans definitely did think "What an amazing episode". But the truth is that, if the last 3 minutes were cut, we would've thought: "What a bad episode".

I'm not really a fan of rating episodes high just because they have a good ending but this is one of the few episodes where I feel I can do that.

First of all, the island portion of this episode was rather weak. Not so much dull, but predictable and quite honestly, nothing exciting. Season 4's island portion has started very strong with TBOTE, then fell a bit with CD, and now continues falling with "The Economist".

Sayid, Miles and Kate trekking to Locke's camp to get Charlotte wasn't too exciting to start with. And the idea of it wasn't too great either - at this point the last thing one would want to see is a trek on the island. The two scenes I enjoyed were Hurley acting as if he was betrayed by Locke(nicely played!) and Ben interacting with Sayid. Those were great, and really boosted the rating. But the rest?

Dan's experiement which proved that there's a time anomaly on the island would've been brilliant if it wasn't for the really awkward writing. Jack and Frank simply IGNORING Dan and what he just proved(while they were standing next to him) was very very unrealistic. Sawyer managed to get Kate to stay with him - not a good scene either. Very forced, I really felt no chemistry between them like I usually do.

The last set of island scenes were good though, Sayid leaving on the chopper with Desmond and Frank. Great music and fantastic directing.

Now as for the flashforwards: they were very decent. Opened with a nice surprise: Sayid is off the island and he kills a man - then turns out he is a hitman working for someone - then the Alias / James Bond-esque romance ( hook up with the enemy ), then the great twist that the "enemy" was aware of it all along, and then the mindblowing reveal who Sayid is working for.

It was a nice spy story told in only about 15 minutes. Surely, it's not something incredibly revolutionary, but the fact that Sayid is back to his roots was very nice to watch.

Oh, and the reveal; Sayid is working for Ben! He is off the island too! And obviously is NOT part of the Oceanic Six. Out of all the scenes / moments so far this season, this has been the most important thus far and easily this is the scene that created the most theories amongst the fans. An excellent twist that really shocked me; I was literally frozen for a few minutes after finishing the episode.

Overall, the flashforward's greatness and the amazing twist made me appreciate this episode alot more. The island plot rates a weak-ish 7/10, but the rest is a solid 9.5/10.

Averaging that we get a nice 8.3. Above average episode.moreless

Another member of the six revealed, and a doozy of a fadeout

By DavidB226Morris, Feb 28, 2010

And today we learn member number four of the Oceanic 6--- Sayid. And we also see that fate doesn't seem to have been much kinder for him than Jack or Hurley.

Sayid is about the only character who's come to an epiphany about himself and not died. This goes to one of the larger theories about the island being purgatory, considering that when a character comes to a realization about themselves, they die very soon after. It was true of Shannon, Ana Lucia, and Charlie, and to a certain extent Eko. Sayid has come to the realization that he is a torturer, and as much as he wants to leave that part of his life behind him, the island has not let him. Because these skills have come in useful in the mentality of this land, he hasn't been able to give it up--- witness 'Henry Gale'. The one thing that stops him from being a cold-blooded killer is the fact that he is very passionate, and loves deeply and completely, usually to the detriment of himself..

In 'The Economist' we see that even though he will make it off the island, he will not be able to shed his killer mentality. Just like before, he's become a cold-blooded assassin, only unlike his time in the Republican Guard or on the island, we don't know why he's killing. He has no problem going after Elsa in the biggest part of his flashforward, but he doesn't seem to notice that she's conning him right back. The second she begins talking about love, he gets all doe-eyed again, and for his trouble he nearly gets killed. The scene in which he shoots Elsa sums up his dual nature about as well as anything else we've seen on the show --- he recovers from the sudden attack, distracts her and shoots her twice. Then he walks over to her, holds her, and closes her eyes. His heart keeps getting in his way.

We learn a couple of more secrets while we're on the island. Frank tells Sayid he will fly him back if he rescues Charlotte from Locke's people. Sayid once again takes charge, and brings Miles and Kate back with him to the barracks. He then points out that none of these freighter folk seem particularly attached to each other, or interested in helping the people on the island. But he runs up against a stone wall when Miles refuses to give answers

What they don't know is Locke's leadership is a lot shakier than he'd let on. He is unable to find the cabin, and get instructions, and though he tries to shrug it off, it's clear that he's shaken by it. He manages to regroup in order to pull off a mini-con of his own, this time using Hurley, the one castaway who seems unable to tell a lie. But it turns out even Hurley is capable of lying when it comes to preserving his own interests. And speaking of self-interest, Kate seems more than willing to go back to the bunkers in order to protect her. She has a long conversation with Sawyer, in which he finally reminds her that the only thing she has to look forward to on the mainland is a long prison term (Turns out she doesn't, but then James doesn't have the flashforwards.) It's an interesting reversal--- Sawyer, who made the biggest effort to leave during season 1, now has no interest in doing so, and Kate is going on even though supposedly she has nothing to look forward to bur a life in an orange jumpsuit.

This episode also provided a couple of bigger shocks in relating to time. Daniel--- who seems a little more together, but still hyper active-- runs an experiment in which he tries to get a payload to their destination. The payload does make its target, but when it does show up, it's half an hour behind the real island. Is the island somehow held in some kind of time warp? This would seem a real possibility. After all, Miles had a picture of Ben that he shouldn't have been able to get if he never left the island. And now it seems that, just like Richard, he's been leaving the island at will for years, and there's a very real possibility that he's time-traveling to do it. Does this have something to do with the electromagnetic energy we know pervades the island? We're going to start getting some pretty big hints that this is more than possible.

Of course, the biggest shock of all comes in the episodes final minutes. Sayid returns with Charlotte, having traded her for Miles. Locke seems more than willing to make a deal when he thought Sayid was acting in the island best interest rather than leaving. Kate decides to stay behind for reasons of her own (we'll find them out in the next episode) And even though Sayid kind of cheating, Frank is more than willing to leave Miles behind--- clearly he can't stand the man's sniping either. He agrees to take Desmond as well, even though he tells him point blank that he's never met Penelope. As they take off, there's the kind of soaring music that would seem to indicate that Sayid has left it all behind. But then he goes to a vet's to get his bullet wounded treat--- and we meet his boss, Ben. Even though he clearly says that "the day I start trusting him is the day I sell my soul", one may remember that maybe Sayid has been battered enough by life to feel that he no longer has a soul to sell. Now there's another list, and he's more than willing to serve Ben. He says he doing it to protect his friends, which is doubly ironic considering how determined Ben was to keep them down on the island. Ben is still a master manipulator, whether tied up in a game room, or talking casually about the death of the woman who Sayid loved, even if that love was fraudulent on both sides. It seems that Sayid, like Jack and Hurley, can not leave the island behind.

Any episode that features Naveen Andrews in the lead is always encouraging, because he seems to be the one shrouded in darkness. He is more than up the task in this episode. Ken Leung continues to demonstrate his general snarkiness when dealing with, well, everybody (after he degrades Hurley, he responds by saying : "Great. They sent us another Sawyer." And there are some very intriguing possibilities raises by this episode, yet this episode doesn't seem quite as engaging when its away from Sayid. We do, however, get the sense that even though he's tied up, Ben is still somehow calling the shots, but this doesn't surprise us either. It's also hard to understand why Daniel and Charlotte seem so determined to stay behind, but we won't figure that out for awhile. We seem to be moving forward when the chopper takes off, but soon we're going to find out that this island makes it hard for anybody to come and go. We're about to get a real idea of what that means.

My score: 8.5moreless

The FF Stole the HighLights of this episode.

By Dante_Edy, Jul 15, 2009

Plot Details/Objective -» Even with so few episodes for this season that will air, is funny that the writers continue to build the Island plot delaying the best material for later. The attack that the Island will suffer will only happens in episodes 7-9. This means that until there, the tension will be low, which some themes there were left incomplete in season 3, like Sun affair, more of Juliet past etc. This time was about buying time doing a exchange. Only Sayid Flash Forward´s bring news and some are shocking.

What I Like/Disliked -» Sayid Flash Forward´s Scenes. Didn´t liked the Island scenes, not all, but they dragged and tried to buy time, when they could just take off.

Overall:

Presentation -» (9/10). Shocking, will catch you by surprise.

Complication Phase -»(5/10). This time was more weaker, was all about a exchange, so there is no a spectacular complication, just a conversation and a Exchange occurs. Sayid mission in the Flash Forward´s seemed to be a simple one.

Climax -»(7/10). Strong, but just because of the climax provided by the Sayid flash Forward´s.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (10/10). Sayid Flash Forward´s guaranteed a shocking ending, with a Hint too.

Flash-forward's -» (10/10). What made this episode interesting was Sayid Flash Forward´s, since the event of the Island wasn´t enough. There are 3 Surprises/shocks that will change your mind and make you love this.

Time and Scenes Management -» (6/10). The event in the Island is weak, only little interesting, but still, is weaker. So, I notice many scenes there just to slow the episode. There was a scene on the Flash Forward´s that was not necessary too.

Dialogues -» (7/10). Good enough to entertain you.

Action /Adventure -» (5/10). Don´t Expect anything good and spectacular, very simple.

Drama/Emotions -» (6/10). If there was any type of that, only Sawyer and Kate reunion, which is old. Sayid and is girlfriend love emotions was nice to see, but nothing very sad here.

Suspense/Tension -» (6/10). Didn´t Notice where it was, but Sayid gunshot simple fight was not that bad.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (7/10). Sayid Flash Forward´s did the job. The Island event not.

Surprise/Twists /Thoughts Changer -» (10/10). Sayid Flash Forward´s can trick you, almost guaranteed.

Lost continues to buy time, but this time you can notice more than ever. It is normal, since the best material is saved for later, when the rescue plot will reach is climax. Also, the writers are relying in the Flash forward´s that is why that they guarantee that you will be shocked with some 2 or 3 scenes.moreless

Season 4 delivers its first major shock at the very end. Unfortunately the rest of the episode doesn't compliment it.

By martync7, May 23, 2009

"The Economist" was one of those episodes where when the credits rolled I thought that I should give this a higher rating. Was this because of the shock ending? Yes. And what a shock ending it was, easily in my Top 10 Shock Endings (Yes, I have a Top 10, how sad!). But, on reflection, after, I wasn't that impressed. I found it a little slow and uneventful, especially on island, and for a Sayid episode, I found this to be surprising. His last two were "One of Them" and "Enter 77", which were highlights of their season. This felt a little flat, especially after the thrill ride that was "Confirmed Dead". The problem with that episode was that there was too much going on and this episode falters because there's not enough. Alot of the island action is watching our characters moving from one location to another. The best part of the island story was Faraday's experiment, which was the big hot topic of the episode, second to the flashforward. This scene confirmed that there is a time delay on the island, as apoosed to off it. Watching Sayid and Desmond leave on the helicopter provided some good island scenery, the like of which we hadn't previously seen and gave a chance for Michael Giacchino to show off his beautiful score.

Other than that there wasn't much to report. People are moving into position for the next development and so in that respect this episode is largely transitional. There are not many episodes where the off-island plot thread is better than the on-island plot thread, but in this case "The Economist" is one of those. The flashforward was full of shocks, and made the island story seem largely uneccesary, that it would have been no sin to have the whole episode off island. Shock one was when Sayid plays Golf with a guy, who his shoots after losing a wager with. Not only do we learn that Sayid is one of the Oceanic Six, but that he is a professional assassin of sorts. As the flashforwards continue we realise that Sayid is being ordered to complete an exterminating mission to those that may have had ties with the Freighter folk. In "The Beginning of the End" Hurley was fearful of Matthew Abaddon in the mental institution. It seems that he could be one of the men on Sayid's list of names that he has to kill. But who is ordering Sayid to do this dirty work. None other than our favourite "Other" Benjamin Linus!

The reveal is superbly done and is perhaps the least thing you'd expect, especially considering the two character's previous history. I mean, after all, Sayid was the first one to confront him and lay a hand on him. People wonder what could have possessed Sayid to work for Ben, but you could also wonder why on earth would Ben take Sayid under his wing, considering his hatred of him. It seems obvious that the freighter people were trouble and caused some tragic deaths to some of the survivors on the island, prevented some from leaving and made everyone that did get rescued feeling miserable and guilty. It is this guilt and remorse that has now taken hold of three of three of the Oceanic Six, Jack, Hurley and Sayid. Of those three, we still don't know if Sayid wants to or believes that he will return to the island but his murderous efforts maybe an attempt on providing some kind of opening to go back and rescue whoever got left behind. That is assuming that Sayid hadn't turned into a bad guy. Anything's possible now!!! Kate is the only one who, at this time, has turned a blind eye to the island's calling. Looking ahead to future episodes, this, on reflection, would seem initially surprising, as Sawyer, her loose island lover didn't make it off with her. Had the two had a major lover's tiff? Well, in the following episode that would turn out to be true but there may be more to why Kate is content to stay on the mainland, as we will discover. If I were to base my enjoyment of this episode on the flashforwards this episode would reach at least a 9, but the island story was hugely disappointing and it is Sayid's weakest episode since The Greater Good. Netheless, it was nowhere near a disaster and it steup some interesting developments for the future.moreless

A Sayid-centric episode.

By Writer2000, Sep 12, 2008

First off, let me start off by saying that I didn't like this episode as much as I usually enjoy Lost which is mainly because Sayid has never been one of my most favorite characters on Lost. This episode was definitely still extremely exciting though. I can't believe that Sayid is one of the Oceanic 6! I was really shocked by that. Another thing that I didn't really like about this episode was just Locke in general. He has always annoyed me a lot, and he has never been a character that I like very much either. In the end, I decided to give this episode the score of nine for revealing Sayid as one of the Oceanic 6 even though I didn't really love this episode that much.moreless

Why does every episode of Lost give me about ten questions I need to be answered every single episode.

By Kadodian, May 02, 2008

Sayid has flashforwards. He works for Ben now and he goes after certain people and kills them. His next target is a woman called Ilsa. She was tricking him for information and he was doing the same thing. Sayid falls inlove with Ilsa. When he tires to save her by getting her out of Berlin she shoots him but then he shoots her and she dies. What Sayid does in the future is very confusing. Why is he working for Ben ? Why is he killing those people ? Why do these people have a bracelet like Naomi wore when she was on the island ? Why did Ben ask Sayid if he wants to prtoect his friends ? So many questions. I liked Sayid's flashbacks. Very interesting !! Kate,Sayid and Miles search for Charlotte. They go to the the others's cabin. They find Hugo tied up. They untie Hugo and it turns out Hugo was tricking them when Locke enters and points a gun at Sayid. Sayid is put as a prisoner with Ben. Kate is help captive by Saywer. Sayid makes a deal with Locke. Sayid gives Locke Miles and he gets Charlotte. Charlotte is back to the crew and Frank,Desomond and Sayid are off the island. Also in this episode Dan discovers that there is a time difference between the island and the world. I didn't give this episode a nine or higher because it lacked excitement, it lacked action and it didn't have Sun,Jin,Alex and Karl and even though Claire was in it they didn't even act as if she was part of the cast. Claire really needs more screen time. Favoite character from this episode : Sayid !!! He just keeps getting more mysterious. Best looking character from this episode : Sayid !!! What my friends think of this episode : "Not bad " , " great " , "it was alright ". Can't wait to see the next episode !! Good stuff !!moreless

Very confusing...

By VGFreak8, May 02, 2008

There are flashfowards of Sayid. He is working for Ben. He gets attached to a woman, but he is using her to get to her boss. Both were tricking each other and he kills her.

Sayid wants to go to the ship. Frank will take him if he brings Charlotte back. He, Kate and Miles go to the barracks to find Locke's party. He makes a trade: Charlotte for Miles and Kate. Juliet brings Desmond up and he wants to go to the ship too. Frank takes him, Sayid, and Naomi's body. Daniel finds out that there is a time difference between the main world and the island.

This episode was really good! The flashfowards were confusing. I have no clue what is going on! Daniel is funny! This episode gets a 9.0 out of 10 from me!moreless

i got confused at what happened to sayid in the flash forward.

By theOtherWalker, Apr 03, 2008

this is sayid centric.

in this episode,first we saw sayid playing golf,and after someone talking to him,we knew that it is a flash forward episode.

sayid said that he was a survivor of oceanic 815 and suddenly he shot the guy!so,what sayid's real job?is he became an assassin or something like that?

and after that,we saw sayid has a new target,a girl named elsa.

at first i felt so weird to saw sayid as a cassanova guy who just flirting with some girl. (probably because i love of what happened before when he's dating shannon)

and then sayid learn that he must kill that woman.

and for the climax of the episode,we saw that it was ben who sent sayid to kill the people!!

okay,i was shock for a minute,but i'm sorry for everyone who love this episode,but i don't think this was the best sayid episode.

this episode was okay for me!moreless

great episode

By sfviewer, Mar 22, 2008

One of the supposed rescuers Charlotte land on a river. When she gets out of the water, she's surrounded by the oceanic survivors. Locke decides to take her hostage. Sayid goes to the barracks hoping to negotiate with Locke for Charlotte. Sayid trades another rescuer for the swap. It's a really awesome episode, the writers came up with another cool episode to continue the drama. The flash forwards are really cool, they expand the show's universe. It gives the show a lot more depth. The new characters especially frank are really interesting. I can't wait for the next episode. The storyline is so cool.moreless

Is Ben a veterinary!?

By Jimmy2007, Mar 18, 2008

So at first i did not think that this episode was going to be so interesting since i did not have much expectations about a Sayid center episode...and to be honest i did not think that the episode was very interesting except for it's end.

Sayid goes with Kate and Miles to check on Lockes camp, and meanwhile we see some flashforwards which confirm that Sayid is indeed one of the Oceanic 6 survivors. Apparently he as found a new job besides torture. Now i believe that most of the flashforward sequences are pointless and if it was not for the last sequence which indeed leaves us wondering about what will happen in the future that will make Sayid do what he does.

Also in the present time we finally see Sayid and Desmond leaving the island towards the boat from which Daniel and the others came from.

So bottom line in my opinion, you could just skip the begining and middle of this episode and move straight to the end, because that's the interesting part about it.moreless

Load More Reviews