The Economist

Episode Reviews (70)

Superb

Apparently, Sayid sold his soul.

By JBentham, Nov 18, 2010

After finishing this episode, most of us Lost fans definitely did think "What an amazing episode". But the truth is that, if the last 3 minutes were cut, we would've thought: "What a bad episode".

I'm not really a fan of rating episodes high just because they have a good ending but this is one of the few episodes where I feel I can do that.

First of all, the island portion of this episode was rather weak. Not so much dull, but predictable and quite honestly, nothing exciting. Season 4's island portion has started very strong with TBOTE, then fell a bit with CD, and now continues falling with "The Economist".

Sayid, Miles and Kate trekking to Locke's camp to get Charlotte wasn't too exciting to start with. And the idea of it wasn't too great either - at this point the last thing one would want to see is a trek on the island. The two scenes I enjoyed were Hurley acting as if he was betrayed by Locke(nicely played!) and Ben interacting with Sayid. Those were great, and really boosted the rating. But the rest?

Dan's experiement which proved that there's a time anomaly on the island would've been brilliant if it wasn't for the really awkward writing. Jack and Frank simply IGNORING Dan and what he just proved(while they were standing next to him) was very very unrealistic. Sawyer managed to get Kate to stay with him - not a good scene either. Very forced, I really felt no chemistry between them like I usually do.

The last set of island scenes were good though, Sayid leaving on the chopper with Desmond and Frank. Great music and fantastic directing.

Now as for the flashforwards: they were very decent. Opened with a nice surprise: Sayid is off the island and he kills a man - then turns out he is a hitman working for someone - then the Alias / James Bond-esque romance ( hook up with the enemy ), then the great twist that the "enemy" was aware of it all along, and then the mindblowing reveal who Sayid is working for.

It was a nice spy story told in only about 15 minutes. Surely, it's not something incredibly revolutionary, but the fact that Sayid is back to his roots was very nice to watch.

Oh, and the reveal; Sayid is working for Ben! He is off the island too! And obviously is NOT part of the Oceanic Six. Out of all the scenes / moments so far this season, this has been the most important thus far and easily this is the scene that created the most theories amongst the fans. An excellent twist that really shocked me; I was literally frozen for a few minutes after finishing the episode.

Overall, the flashforward's greatness and the amazing twist made me appreciate this episode alot more. The island plot rates a weak-ish 7/10, but the rest is a solid 9.5/10.

Averaging that we get a nice 8.3. Above average episode.moreless

The FF Stole the HighLights of this episode.

By Dante_Edy, Jul 15, 2009

Plot Details/Objective -» Even with so few episodes for this season that will air, is funny that the writers continue to build the Island plot delaying the best material for later. The attack that the Island will suffer will only happens in episodes 7-9. This means that until there, the tension will be low, which some themes there were left incomplete in season 3, like Sun affair, more of Juliet past etc. This time was about buying time doing a exchange. Only Sayid Flash Forward´s bring news and some are shocking.

What I Like/Disliked -» Sayid Flash Forward´s Scenes. Didn´t liked the Island scenes, not all, but they dragged and tried to buy time, when they could just take off.

Overall:

Presentation -» (9/10). Shocking, will catch you by surprise.

Complication Phase -»(5/10). This time was more weaker, was all about a exchange, so there is no a spectacular complication, just a conversation and a Exchange occurs. Sayid mission in the Flash Forward´s seemed to be a simple one.

Climax -»(7/10). Strong, but just because of the climax provided by the Sayid flash Forward´s.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (10/10). Sayid Flash Forward´s guaranteed a shocking ending, with a Hint too.

Flash-forward's -» (10/10). What made this episode interesting was Sayid Flash Forward´s, since the event of the Island wasn´t enough. There are 3 Surprises/shocks that will change your mind and make you love this.

Time and Scenes Management -» (6/10). The event in the Island is weak, only little interesting, but still, is weaker. So, I notice many scenes there just to slow the episode. There was a scene on the Flash Forward´s that was not necessary too.

Dialogues -» (7/10). Good enough to entertain you.

Action /Adventure -» (5/10). Don´t Expect anything good and spectacular, very simple.

Drama/Emotions -» (6/10). If there was any type of that, only Sawyer and Kate reunion, which is old. Sayid and is girlfriend love emotions was nice to see, but nothing very sad here.

Suspense/Tension -» (6/10). Didn´t Notice where it was, but Sayid gunshot simple fight was not that bad.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (7/10). Sayid Flash Forward´s did the job. The Island event not.

Surprise/Twists /Thoughts Changer -» (10/10). Sayid Flash Forward´s can trick you, almost guaranteed.

Lost continues to buy time, but this time you can notice more than ever. It is normal, since the best material is saved for later, when the rescue plot will reach is climax. Also, the writers are relying in the Flash forward´s that is why that they guarantee that you will be shocked with some 2 or 3 scenes.moreless

Season 4 delivers its first major shock at the very end. Unfortunately the rest of the episode doesn't compliment it.

By martync7, May 23, 2009

"The Economist" was one of those episodes where when the credits rolled I thought that I should give this a higher rating. Was this because of the shock ending? Yes. And what a shock ending it was, easily in my Top 10 Shock Endings (Yes, I have a Top 10, how sad!). But, on reflection, after, I wasn't that impressed. I found it a little slow and uneventful, especially on island, and for a Sayid episode, I found this to be surprising. His last two were "One of Them" and "Enter 77", which were highlights of their season. This felt a little flat, especially after the thrill ride that was "Confirmed Dead". The problem with that episode was that there was too much going on and this episode falters because there's not enough. Alot of the island action is watching our characters moving from one location to another. The best part of the island story was Faraday's experiment, which was the big hot topic of the episode, second to the flashforward. This scene confirmed that there is a time delay on the island, as apoosed to off it. Watching Sayid and Desmond leave on the helicopter provided some good island scenery, the like of which we hadn't previously seen and gave a chance for Michael Giacchino to show off his beautiful score.

Other than that there wasn't much to report. People are moving into position for the next development and so in that respect this episode is largely transitional. There are not many episodes where the off-island plot thread is better than the on-island plot thread, but in this case "The Economist" is one of those. The flashforward was full of shocks, and made the island story seem largely uneccesary, that it would have been no sin to have the whole episode off island. Shock one was when Sayid plays Golf with a guy, who his shoots after losing a wager with. Not only do we learn that Sayid is one of the Oceanic Six, but that he is a professional assassin of sorts. As the flashforwards continue we realise that Sayid is being ordered to complete an exterminating mission to those that may have had ties with the Freighter folk. In "The Beginning of the End" Hurley was fearful of Matthew Abaddon in the mental institution. It seems that he could be one of the men on Sayid's list of names that he has to kill. But who is ordering Sayid to do this dirty work. None other than our favourite "Other" Benjamin Linus!

The reveal is superbly done and is perhaps the least thing you'd expect, especially considering the two character's previous history. I mean, after all, Sayid was the first one to confront him and lay a hand on him. People wonder what could have possessed Sayid to work for Ben, but you could also wonder why on earth would Ben take Sayid under his wing, considering his hatred of him. It seems obvious that the freighter people were trouble and caused some tragic deaths to some of the survivors on the island, prevented some from leaving and made everyone that did get rescued feeling miserable and guilty. It is this guilt and remorse that has now taken hold of three of three of the Oceanic Six, Jack, Hurley and Sayid. Of those three, we still don't know if Sayid wants to or believes that he will return to the island but his murderous efforts maybe an attempt on providing some kind of opening to go back and rescue whoever got left behind. That is assuming that Sayid hadn't turned into a bad guy. Anything's possible now!!! Kate is the only one who, at this time, has turned a blind eye to the island's calling. Looking ahead to future episodes, this, on reflection, would seem initially surprising, as Sawyer, her loose island lover didn't make it off with her. Had the two had a major lover's tiff? Well, in the following episode that would turn out to be true but there may be more to why Kate is content to stay on the mainland, as we will discover. If I were to base my enjoyment of this episode on the flashforwards this episode would reach at least a 9, but the island story was hugely disappointing and it is Sayid's weakest episode since The Greater Good. Netheless, it was nowhere near a disaster and it steup some interesting developments for the future.moreless

A Sayid-centric episode.

By Writer2000, Sep 12, 2008

First off, let me start off by saying that I didn't like this episode as much as I usually enjoy Lost which is mainly because Sayid has never been one of my most favorite characters on Lost. This episode was definitely still extremely exciting though. I can't believe that Sayid is one of the Oceanic 6! I was really shocked by that. Another thing that I didn't really like about this episode was just Locke in general. He has always annoyed me a lot, and he has never been a character that I like very much either. In the end, I decided to give this episode the score of nine for revealing Sayid as one of the Oceanic 6 even though I didn't really love this episode that much.moreless

Why does every episode of Lost give me about ten questions I need to be answered every single episode.

By Kadodian, May 02, 2008

Sayid has flashforwards. He works for Ben now and he goes after certain people and kills them. His next target is a woman called Ilsa. She was tricking him for information and he was doing the same thing. Sayid falls inlove with Ilsa. When he tires to save her by getting her out of Berlin she shoots him but then he shoots her and she dies. What Sayid does in the future is very confusing. Why is he working for Ben ? Why is he killing those people ? Why do these people have a bracelet like Naomi wore when she was on the island ? Why did Ben ask Sayid if he wants to prtoect his friends ? So many questions. I liked Sayid's flashbacks. Very interesting !! Kate,Sayid and Miles search for Charlotte. They go to the the others's cabin. They find Hugo tied up. They untie Hugo and it turns out Hugo was tricking them when Locke enters and points a gun at Sayid. Sayid is put as a prisoner with Ben. Kate is help captive by Saywer. Sayid makes a deal with Locke. Sayid gives Locke Miles and he gets Charlotte. Charlotte is back to the crew and Frank,Desomond and Sayid are off the island. Also in this episode Dan discovers that there is a time difference between the island and the world. I didn't give this episode a nine or higher because it lacked excitement, it lacked action and it didn't have Sun,Jin,Alex and Karl and even though Claire was in it they didn't even act as if she was part of the cast. Claire really needs more screen time. Favoite character from this episode : Sayid !!! He just keeps getting more mysterious. Best looking character from this episode : Sayid !!! What my friends think of this episode : "Not bad " , " great " , "it was alright ". Can't wait to see the next episode !! Good stuff !!moreless

Very confusing...

By VGFreak8, May 02, 2008

There are flashfowards of Sayid. He is working for Ben. He gets attached to a woman, but he is using her to get to her boss. Both were tricking each other and he kills her.

Sayid wants to go to the ship. Frank will take him if he brings Charlotte back. He, Kate and Miles go to the barracks to find Locke's party. He makes a trade: Charlotte for Miles and Kate. Juliet brings Desmond up and he wants to go to the ship too. Frank takes him, Sayid, and Naomi's body. Daniel finds out that there is a time difference between the main world and the island.

This episode was really good! The flashfowards were confusing. I have no clue what is going on! Daniel is funny! This episode gets a 9.0 out of 10 from me!moreless

i got confused at what happened to sayid in the flash forward.

By theOtherWalker, Apr 03, 2008

this is sayid centric.

in this episode,first we saw sayid playing golf,and after someone talking to him,we knew that it is a flash forward episode.

sayid said that he was a survivor of oceanic 815 and suddenly he shot the guy!so,what sayid's real job?is he became an assassin or something like that?

and after that,we saw sayid has a new target,a girl named elsa.

at first i felt so weird to saw sayid as a cassanova guy who just flirting with some girl. (probably because i love of what happened before when he's dating shannon)

and then sayid learn that he must kill that woman.

and for the climax of the episode,we saw that it was ben who sent sayid to kill the people!!

okay,i was shock for a minute,but i'm sorry for everyone who love this episode,but i don't think this was the best sayid episode.

this episode was okay for me!moreless

great episode

By sfviewer, Mar 22, 2008

One of the supposed rescuers Charlotte land on a river. When she gets out of the water, she's surrounded by the oceanic survivors. Locke decides to take her hostage. Sayid goes to the barracks hoping to negotiate with Locke for Charlotte. Sayid trades another rescuer for the swap. It's a really awesome episode, the writers came up with another cool episode to continue the drama. The flash forwards are really cool, they expand the show's universe. It gives the show a lot more depth. The new characters especially frank are really interesting. I can't wait for the next episode. The storyline is so cool.moreless

Is Ben a veterinary!?

By Jimmy2007, Mar 18, 2008

So at first i did not think that this episode was going to be so interesting since i did not have much expectations about a Sayid center episode...and to be honest i did not think that the episode was very interesting except for it's end.

Sayid goes with Kate and Miles to check on Lockes camp, and meanwhile we see some flashforwards which confirm that Sayid is indeed one of the Oceanic 6 survivors. Apparently he as found a new job besides torture. Now i believe that most of the flashforward sequences are pointless and if it was not for the last sequence which indeed leaves us wondering about what will happen in the future that will make Sayid do what he does.

Also in the present time we finally see Sayid and Desmond leaving the island towards the boat from which Daniel and the others came from.

So bottom line in my opinion, you could just skip the begining and middle of this episode and move straight to the end, because that's the interesting part about it.moreless

Load More Reviews