The Lie

Episode Reviews (29)

Superb

What if we can't bring LOST back to it's original glory?

Then God help us all...

By pipinowns, Apr 30, 2011

Ok...This episode was BAD and will probably be the worst this season.

First of all, it has no standalone value. It picks up right off from last week, and everything is just to lead up to next week. Next, we have Hurley. He was terrible. He acts like an idiot the entire episode. And then he gets himself arrested. Am I the only one who was reminded of Heroes? That was out of character and stupid.

Also, we have the people attacking the LOSTies. First, they don't both to get closer to the LOSTies for a direct hit, then they don't bother to ask them any questions or give them time to explain. You aren't going to cut a woman's hand off if you need her to answer questions...

Ben, Faraday, and Locke save what would of been a terrible filler episode. Not only did very little happen, but it was extremely chaotic.

I watch LOST because I like the characters and storylines. So why are they destroying the characters to become one dimensional tools? And why do the storylines feel like Heroes?moreless

A great conclusion to the opener.

By mfirefly10, Apr 30, 2011

First, let me say how thrilled I was to see Ana-Lucia again. That scene was hysterical and I LOVED the little Libby comment. Hurely just takes everything in stride, doesn't he? It was interesting to see that Hurley was really against the rest of them when it came to the lie. I think he's always been a very moral character and I love that the writers continue to show that. I was a little hesistent to believe that Jack would go along with Ben so easily but I guess he's just that desperate. The re-introduction of the time-woman was interesting. I can't wait to see what role she'll play in the rest of the series. All in all, a great start to season 5...but I still miss Claire :( .moreless

Rev.

By efc91, Apr 30, 2011

Hurley and Sayid are on the run from the cops. Hurley confesses that the Oceanic Six have been lying. The island survivors are attacked by armed men. Ben learns that he only has seventy hours to reunite the Oceanic Six and return them to the island. So one episode down time for another review of Lost season five. I think this waqs a Hurley centric episode, I love Hurley episodes.

So from the way the episode was edited when I watched it Im guessing this episode starts with Hurley fleeing the crime scene with Sayid, he is stopped by Ana Lucia (WTF) yes you know it he's seeing dead people again, it was a awesome guest appearence from the the character that everyone hates to love. I liked Ana Lucia but oh well it was nice to see her again. Its just a matter of time before Libby shows up I guess.

Hurley was really funny in this episode I loved the part where he got scared by Ben and he threw his food best scene of the night. The part where he told his mother everything was great but I fear his poor little mum will tell everyone and then Hurley will get in trouble. The Kate and Sun scene was pretty sad when they where talking about Jin, that part got me.

Now I think I have talked about all the off island stuff so here comes the on island stuff. one word AWESOME. Poor Frogurt, I mean Neil, I mean Frogurt RIP dude. I thought that whole scene with the fire arrows was amazing it was really exciting as was at the edge of my seat in fact I fell off (Scrap that that didnt happen). And good old locke saved poor Juliets hand from those mean Dharma boys. Ok so I found this episode to be slightley slower than the first but it was still a great episode of Lost 9.0 out of 10.moreless

Not sure which lie they meant, but their starting to cost the six

By DavidB226Morris, Apr 30, 2011

One thing the regular viewer of Lost should accept is a given is that everybody lies. Whether they're from the plane, the freighter, the island or off it, everybody is lying about something. Titling the episode 'The Lie' could make the casual viewer wonder which lie they're referring to. We, however, know that they're talking about the whopper the Oceanic 6 have been spinning since their rescue. In the opening bit, we see that there was some division even there. Jack was the most eager to lie. Kate seem more than willing to go a long with it (but we're going to find out that she had her own motives for lying. Sun seemed willing to participate, too, but my guess is she was still going through the shell shock of losing Jin to go along with it. Sayid was resistant to the idea initially, but finally allowed himself to be persuaded --- given all of the horror that was in his life even before he came to the island, he's used to putting bad stuff behind him. (Apparently, he doesn't realize that the worst is still ahead of him.)

The most objective person was Hurley. He didn't think it made any sense to lie, and from the viewers standpoint, I'm inclined to agree. How does telling a lie protect everyone on the island who was left. No one knows where to find the island, and it's just disappeared. And if the person to protect it from is Charles Widmore, we know for damn sure he won't believe it either. Hell, their very presence will expose them to him, and it's clear that Sun is more than willing to enlighten him. It is more likely he agreed to go along with the deception, because of the other key phrase--- people will call him crazy. We all know how sensitive Hugo is to this (how many times did he wince on the island when someone even implied he wasn't sane?) and considering where he's going to end up not long after the rescue, it obviously was a major concern to him. So he goes along with it, but it's clear he had major objections.

Now he's on the run from the police, the people from the safehouse, and God knows who else is chasing him. It probably doesn't help when a cop car pulls over and Ana Lucia, in her uniform, emerges. She's trying to guide him and keep him safe, but I'm still not sure how much she can be trusted. (And that throwaway line about Libby at the end? Cruel.) So he goes to the one place he thinks there might be some safety --- his home. There are those who would say that David Reyes is openly hostile to his son's story (saying he's crazy or lying probably doesn't help him) but look at it from his perspective: Your son emerges carrying an old friend who can't be revived no matter how much effort they put into it. The police say he killed three people, and your son just won't tell you what this is about. He was willing to lie for his son, and take Sayid to a doctor, and then very clearly tells him to keep away from Hugo. He may not know the situation, but Jack doesn't have his best interests at heart --- how can he if he's just made a deal with the devil?

His mother, on the other hand, wants answers. And considering that Hugo had the best relationship with his mother than just about anybody on the island did, it's not surprising that he finally, after what have been years of torment, finally unburdens himself. The scene borders between absurdity and pain-- as Hurley manages to sum up everything that happened on the island for the first 100 days in less than a minute --- an accomplishment in itself. It's not clear how much Carmen understands, but she does something no one on this show seems willing to do at all--- and that's listen. When she finally says: "I believe you," those three words mean more to her than just about anything else in the episode. Jorge Garcia is a revelation in this episode, and this may be his finest hour.

Jack seems to be willing to drink the Kool-Aid, but it also seems that he just likes being able to treat Sayid--- finally, a problem with something he can fix He thinks that finding Sayid makes his job a lot easier, but I saw the look on Ben's face when he heard that Jack had found him. Given what we heard in the last episode, it's pretty clear there's been a major break between these two--- we just don't know how horrible it is yet.

Kate is on the run herself, but she seems to be finding that it's lot harder to be a fugitive when you've got a toddler in tow. Then she gets an unexpected call--- and we see it's from Sun. Talking to her should be pleasant --- Sun and Kate were pretty close on the island, after all--- and Sun does try to be gentle, but there just seems to be a hint of cruelty in her pleasantness now--- especially in the way she seems to bring up her husband. There's definitely bad blood, and it's not clear what she hopes to be gained by calling on Kate. (Hell, initially I even thought that she might be the one behind the call to the lawyers.)

Back on the island, the time travel seems to have stopped at least for awhile. everyone seems to be more concerned with surviving now. One guy seems a little more worried --- Daniel. We don't know what he read in his journal, but when Charlotte starts telling him that she's starting to have memory lapses and a couple of headaches, he seems way too worried. He knows something, we're just not sure what yet.

Things then get worse in a hurry--- as the survivor are besieged by a hail of flaming arrows that kills a good deal of the extras that were still left. (Why they used arrows when it was clear that they have guns is a question I don't think we'll ever have answered. Eventually, Juliet and Sawyer manage to find safety, but are taken hostage by three very unpleasant Others. They seem doomed when bullets ring out and a knife flies through the air --- and out of the jungle comes Locke. They're safe, but for how long? Not for much longer, though they don't know it.

Back on the mainland, Hurley is confronted by the man behind the curtain--- Ben, who (after narrowly avoiding a Hot Pocket) makes his pitch to him trying to tell him that he'll be safe and won't have to lie anymore. Hurley then decides to follow Sayid's advice over that of 'Ana Lucia', and runs right outside and gets himself arrested. But the biggest shock of all comes in the last scene where we see someone using a Foucault pendulum, a giant map, a chalkboard, and a computer that looks rather suspiciously like the one we were forever entering numbers into back in season 2. She comes out and reveals herself to be Ms. Hawking, that creepy old lady, who appears when Desmond traveled back to 1996, and told him he couldn't marry Penelope. She is similarly dismissive to Ben, which is very odd, considering everyone else seems to defer to him, and tells them that they have a 'window' and that it closes in 70 hours, and if he doesn't get them all back, "God help us all." We're still not clear on what Hawking knows and how Ben knows her, but we're going to soon find out that, like everybody else, she's been lying about who she is, and where she's been.

'The Lie' has a far darker strain of comedy than the ones were used to when we have Hurley-centric episodes, but then, the closer we get to the end, the less jolly Hurley has a reason to be. Hurley seems to be ignoring the will of the island, which definitely wants him back. We still don't know what his final role on the show will be, but it's clear that something wants him back, even more than the others on the Oceanic 6. Dark times are afoot.

My score: 8.8moreless

Hugo: Thanks, Ana-Lucia.

Anna Lucia: Oh, yeah. Libby says hi.

By Sarah_Is_Lost, Jun 10, 2010

Hurley and Sayid are on the run from the cops. Hurley confesses that the Oceanic Six have been lying. The island survivors are attacked by armed men. Ben learns that he only has seventy hours to reunite the Oceanic Six and return them to the island. Another great episode from LOST, wasn't better than the episode before but still very good. I loved the fact that Hurley is seeing dead people again. I also loved the scene where Neil started shouting at everyone and dies, I love that scene it was so good. Another awesome episode from LOSt like I said but it was abit slower than "Because You Left". All in all I can't wait to watch more!moreless

waste of an episode

By ImNotHouse, May 29, 2010

now, i gave a great review for lost episode 1: because you left, because it was a killer opener, a few questions were answered while MORE reinvented themselves into the figment of our imagination.

Only the ending of this episode was progression through the storyline, the rest of it seemed like a sort of trick the producers were using to draw out the series. Maybe they're teasing us, maybe they need each episode to, slowly, reach a certain course for the right LOST mood to kick in...

but seriously, the mood was slow and very delightful, next second... BOOOM, fast paced action..

I hope next week does not disappoint, but this episode was good.. but not awesome. Doesn't go down in history of LOST like constant or theres no place like home.moreless

great scott this show is electrifying

By DerickBentham, May 22, 2010

The Oceanic 6 has to get back to the island and ben is trying to help but it seems like its going to be a very hard task because Sun wants him dead and Hurley is in jail most likely. LOst continues to be the best show on television because of the amazing writing that has made it what it is. I love that Ben is pretty much a good guy so far this season because hes attempting to get the Oceanic 6 together in order to save the people that are left on the island. Of course there are personal benefits to it such as possibly getting back on Jacobs good side and taking over the island once again. Lost is an amazing show and this season looks to be yet another spectacular one.moreless

A great episode centred around Hurley but with plenty happening elsewhere too.

By hrgaffney, May 22, 2010

What a great episode! It was based on Hurley's story when he gets back home and how bad he felt about lying to everyone about what happened. When he talks to his mum in the kitchen after she asked him what happened, he gave one of the most powerful speeches I have ever heard him give. It so happens that he neatly summarised the whole of seasons 1-4 in just a few minutes, how good is that? Meanwhile, Ben is up to his old tricks and Sayid is shot with a dart and comes to while Jack is trying to revive him. Also Locke finally manages to meet up with Sawyer and Juliet. I just can't wait until next week.moreless

Hurley feels guilty about lying about what happened on the island.

By Writer2000, May 22, 2010

All things considered, I absolutely loved this episode. I thought that everything that happened on the island was extremely exciting. I have to say that I'm absolutely loving Sawyer so far this season. It was also great seeing how lying to everyone is effecting the Oceanic Six. I really enjoyed seeing Kate and Sun together in this episode. I'm really intrigued by what's going on with Charlotte. I was so shocked by the fact that the writers seem to be hinting at the fact that she's pregnant. I can't wait to see what happens with her. I really hope that Charlotte doesn't die because she's such a great character. Hurley was great in this episode. I loved the scene where he tells her the truth about what happened on the island. I absolutely loved the ending of this episode. It was absolutely mind-blowing. In closing, I thought that this was an extremely well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost from everyone involved, and I can't wait to see the next episode of Lost.moreless

Load More Reviews