Superb

I think the writers slept through writing class.

By buildam2005, Mar 02, 2012

Don't get me wrong. I love this show. But this episode was terrible.

Locke's conversations with each character were, with the possible exception of Jack, exceptionally boring and trite. The conversations basically were all Locke saying, "You need to come back," and the other person saying "No thanks," and that was that. Also, why didn't any of the O6 ask what happened to the island, what with it disappearing and all, or how Locke got back? And when did he tell ANY of them that his fake name was Jeremy Bentham? I realize that the writers couldn't show us everything, but they picked entirely the wrong things in this episode. Utter. Disappointment.moreless

The best episode so far, and a sad end... or is it?

By DavidB226Morris, Jun 04, 2011

This was the episode that a lot of Lost fans were waiting for since the Season 4 finale (probably earlier) and unlike a lot of the other episodes that promised solution, this one, for a change, delivered. And did so in grand style. How did Locke end up off the island? When did he visit the Oceanic 6 (plus Walt)? Why was he using the name Jeremy Bentham? How did that obituary that everybody in the Season 3 finale freeze framed their VCR's for, end up in the paper, thus guaranteeing the return trip to the island? We get a lot of answers, but as always we get a different set of question.

When Locke moved the donkey wheel, he ended up in the exact same place Ben did when he moved the island--- the deserts of Tunisia. Only this time, there were cameras watching that spot. We know who put them there, because the same men who confronted Ben in 'The Shape of Things to Come' arrive and take him... to safety. Locke then comes face to face with the man he's been told is the islands sworn enemy --- Charles Widmore.

Widmore seems more friendly than he ever has to anyone. This has to do with the fact that the man he saw walk into his camp in 1954 is now here (in 2007, like Ben, Locke has traveled through time) without having aged a day. The picture he paints is a much different one than the one we got from Ben --- Ben exiled him from the island after three decades (though again, we never find out how or why) and he has spent the last twenty years or so searching for it. He knows that the Oceanic 6 have been lying, and has been keeping watch on them. Understandably, this is something of a hard sell, and Locke doesn't know why Widmore has decided to help him. He claims that a war is coming, and unless he's back on the island when it happens, the wrong side is going to win. (Widmore is right, but because of his meddling, the wrong side triumphs anyway)

Locke is given money and the false name Jeremy Bentham. (Widmore than delivers one of the episodes few laughs when he explains the name: "Your parents had a sense of humor when they named you, so why can't I?) The man who is going to guide him through this journey is none other than Matthew Abaddon, and Locke just manages to hide his recognition. Perhaps he is more distracted by the fact that Abaddon brings out a wheelchair for him to travel in. Yes, Locke has a broken leg, but he could've hobbled about on crutches. This seems deliberate, as if Abaddon wants Locke to fail at his journey.

One by one, we follow Locke as he travels the world making his visits. When he finds Sayid in Santo Domingo, doing humanitarian work, he treats Locke with barely veiled contempt. He seems to have gained some kind of equilibrium, but one wonders just how polite he would've been had he known who was financing Locke's trip. Locke then goes to New York to visit Walt. I'm still not sure why he went there (maybe he thought of using him to substitute for one of the Oceanic 6) but Walt was the only one who wasn't surprised to see him, and actually seems glad that he's here. He tells him he had a dream, and on it Locke was back on the island, in a suit, and people wanted to hurt him. Now we all know Walt is special, and maybe he had a bit of foresight here, but Locke, who wanted for Walt to embrace it on the island, shrugs it off, and can't bring himself to bring this young man back into the madness that is sure to ensue.

Locke than travels to California, where he visits Hurley at Santa Rosa. AT first Hurley just thinks he dead, but even when he sees that Locke is alive he's indifferent, and he goes positively haywire when he sees that Abaddon is guided him. Even when tells Locke that Abaddon is not to be trusted, Locke ignores it, and Hurley just walks away, convinced he's evil. Abaddon then admits that he was disguised as an orderly when he saw him at the hospital right after Locke was paralyzed. He claims that his role is to get people where they need to be. That may have been why he assembled the team on the freighter, but they sure as hell weren't there to help anybody other than Widmore. We trust this guy even less.

When he visits Kate, the contempt is no longer being veiled--- she's openly hostile, and has no interest in saving anybody. She then asks Locke if he's ever been in love. When he tells her the truth--- he was, but his obsession cost him everything--- she's even more aggressive, telling him he hasn't changed at all. Locke has been mulling this over for awhile asks if they can find Helen. Abaddon does --- she's been dead for the past two years. (Locke apparently doesn't realize that if he'd been rescued, he would probably have been reunited with Helen, just as Sayid was reunited with Nadia. They would've had time together, and maybe that would've been enough to keep him away.) While leaving the cemetery, Abaddon is assassinated, and his terror trying to get away, he's involved in a collision.

He's ends up in Jack's hospital, but when Locke tries to cease upon this as fate, Jack calls it nothing more than probability. Jack got a slight growth of beard, and is slurring his words, but apparently he's still able to hold it together to chew out the man who opposed him every step of the way on the island. When Locke tells him that Christian says hello (unwittingly putting into action the events that will lead him back to the island) this a major blow to Jack, but he manages to keep his poker face (barely) until he's out of the room.

Having failed in every respect, Locke goes to a rotten hotel room, buys a length of extension cord, writes his suicide note, and prepares to hang himself. But just as he's about to jump off the desk, who should pop up but Ben? (Okay, we did see him in New York, so it's not a total surprise.) He then pleads with Locke not to do this, that Jack has bought his ticket to Sydney, and that somehow he reached him, and he can do it with the others as well. The scene is extraordinary as Locke finally allows himself to be talked down from killing himself. Then he tells Ben that Jin is still alive, and that the woman he needs to see to get back to the island is Eloise Hawking. The instant he hears this, Ben grabs that same extension cord, and uses it to strangle Locke (not unlike how Sawyer killed Anthony Cooper) He then takes Jin's ring, leaves Locke's body to look like a suicide, wipes the room clean of fingerprints,, and leaves Locke behind, with the words: "I'll miss you, John."

Why did Ben kill Locke is a question we're never going to get a real answer to. Did Ben think that it would be easier to get the Oceanic 6 back knowing Locke was dead? (Perhaps he was the one who wrote the obituary) Did he do it because he got the information he needed, and then Locke was expendable? Or did he really do it because he thought Locke was the Chosen One, and that when they brought his body back to the island, what appears to have happened would happen? For on the island, it seems that John Locke has come back from the dead.

A more pertinent question is what has happened on the island. For it appears that the plane somehow manage to crash on Hydra Island. (Was that really its name? Oh well, it seems to be canon now, so let's go with it. The passengers appear to have survived and seem a lot more organized than they did when Oceanic crashed. Two of them, Caesar and Ilana (the woman escorted Sayid on board) seem to be a lot more certain of themselves than people who have just been involved in... what? Because it seems that Ajira didn't crash. There was turbulence, a flash of light, some of the people on the plane disappeared (we now know they time traveled) and somehow the plane landed. This seems even more extraordinary than the circumstances that brought Oceanic 815 to the island. And the fact that Locke seems to be alive and well that seems to be the least shocking thing about it.

Locke says that he remembers dying, who the Dharma Initiative was, and that he spent a hundred days on the island. This is probably as good a time to start lying, and yet, contrary to the Oceanic 6, he's apparently more honest than ever. Which makes us wonder what kind of fireworks are going to erupt when Ben regains consciousness.

All the episodes about Locke are among the most fascinating Lost did, yet this episode is a little more special than others. For one thing, this is the last time that we will see the confused, worried, beaten-down man John Locke we've come to know and (doggone it) love. Terry O'Quinn has always given some of the most extraordinary work on this show (and he will again, but with a different subtext from now) but this performance shows him at the top of his game, particularly in the last long scene at the hotel, before and after Ben reenters. He always felt like a failure, and this episode shows that he had literally reached the end of his rope before he showed up. The expressiveness of his face is that of arguably the most versatile actor in a brilliant cast.

'The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham' does seem to live up to the title, even if it makes that whole period in the finale of referring to him as Bentham seem, you know, like bad writing. We want to know what happened and we want to see what comes next, but we're not going to get answer for awhile. Lost is about to begin another part of the journey--- this time thirty years in the past.

My score:10moreless

Quite possibly the best episode of LOST to date.

By DerickBentham, Jun 26, 2010

The life and death of Jeremy Bentham is as good as the all time best episodes of lost such as The Constant, Through the Looking Glass and The Shape of Things to Come. The episode explains exactly how Locke got the Oceanic 6 to believe him and want to come back to the island as well as explaining how he died. This episode is special for very many reasons such as Terry O'Quinn does a fine job of getting the viewer sad and feel badly for him. I could not believe that Ben was the one that killed Locke. Lost continues to get better and better through this season and i cannot wait til next weeks episode!moreless

This was Amazing. I loved it. Ben's a lying bastard.

By ajk021992, Jun 26, 2010

I enjoyed every second of this episode. If you notice it took place during the season 3 with the flash backs. i hated when the middle eastern man got shot, he seem pretty tight. Ben is annoying though. I seriously want to know know what exactly he wants. His helpful but why? Why does he do bad things? But over all it was very enjoyable. And the next weeks episode looks amazing. As you notice the main characters are all back together. I wonder what happened to the plane crash or the flash when Oceanic 6 disappeared. So much running in my mind. I want to also know more about Christian, Jacks dad. now we know why Jack was obsessed with going back to the Island back in the end of season 3 when he said We have to go back.moreless

OMG! What the heck did i just watch? Well, I watched quite possibly the BEST breath taking episode ever!!!

By AnilThornberry, Jun 26, 2010

Seriously I was gasping the entire episode. The real breathtaking scene was Ben killing Locke. Ow my god, I didn't dream that scene right? Theres no sleeping for me til the next episode. Ben murdering Locke will not get out of my head. :D

I'm begining to think Widmore really is the good guy. Wow, actually he is the good guy. He's just after Ben and tries to bring him down, which he deserves. :P

This was the only and most anticipated episode of the year and it was well worth the wait. The only thing I found very useless was Walt's scene. What was that for? I thought he would have a bigger role this season but I guess I was wrong. Oh well, whatever I didn't mind it -- he got SO BIG. Can't wait for the reunion next week. Sawyer looks like he saw a ghost in the previews. It's gonna ROCK!!!moreless

Locke's journey off the Island, with mysterious characters coming along to get even more mysterious.

By motleylil, Jun 26, 2010

This might just be the most confusing episode of Lost this season, but when it comes to Lost, confusing isn't bad. It's actually very thrilling. And thrilling, 'The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham' was indeed. After seeing this, it becomes hard to tell who is the good guys and who is the bad guy. And I feel it will be a long time before we know. In the review I made for '316', I said that each time I say to myself that they can't do more than this, and finally they do. Well, they did it again. Not only was it impressively good, we actually learn a lot. Such as how Locke died, what did he do off the Island, what does Widmore want with the Island (not literally, but at least partly), who is Abbadon (again, partly), what happened to anyone from the plane other than the 3 in '316', and I could go on. But my point is, there is no reason to keep saying now that nothing gets explained. A lot IS explained, the only this is that there are so much mystery in the show that what we do learn is only a portion of what we want to know. But it wouldn't be right to be told everything so early on. This show is about a group of people who get thrown in a situation where they don't know what's going on. And it revolves about those people. So why would we know more than they do? That way, we go on an epic journey in places we never dreamed of, and that's what fiction is about to me. I say let the producers make the show the way they already do. As this latest episode proved, it's perfect this way.moreless

Very good episode

By Prophet1111, Jun 26, 2010

This episode was awesome - maybe there wasn't that much action but it was very important for us to know all that thing. It was a huge plot development (as I was wondering - why Lock left the Island just few days after Oceanic Six but they returned after three years). I love Lock, he's the only one that knows what is going on - but he had this crysis. Fortunately his death meant something :) But this Ben guy - what was his problem? Why did he kill Ben after he heard Eloise's name... Well this is what Lost is all about - mysteries :Dmoreless

The Best Episode Yet?

By marcoportugal, Jun 26, 2010

The Best Episode Yet? Anyone noticed how fast-paced this season is going? So many reveals, so many backstory...

after "this place is death" I thought it was the best.... then after "306" I thought iit was the best again.... after this one I am still amazed how amazing, intriguing and PERFECT that episode was.... dont understand how anyone can give this less than nine. BEST EPISODE YET!

that was perfect

LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOSTmoreless

FINALLY

By LetItBe1317, Jun 26, 2010

This is what I have been waiting for all season. I was starting to get a little nervous because I hadn't gotten the same old "LOST feelings" (of course except for Jin's amazing return but I knew he wasn't really dead) but this brought them all back. Finally things are starting to fall into place. With all the different background stories and the retracing of the footsteps that have been going on - I was almost beginning to think the writers underestimate us LOST fans. Now don't get me wrong I love a good surprise here and there but when the surprises start getting predictable and stop making any form of sense that's when I think its time get your crap together and tonight they clearly did. With the tie-ins of Helen and Walt and C.W. behind the scenes this whole time, the reason Locke took his life altering walk-about... frigen awesome. Call me nostalgic but I love the connections and reunions with old characters. Can't wait for next weeks, and the question on my mind and everyone elses' mind I'm sure is "Who really is the bad guy!!?"moreless

Load More Reviews