The Little Prince

Episode Reviews (34)

Superb

By Dante_Edy, May 14, 2011

Plot Details/Objective -» The writers decided to give Kate other opportunity to be the main focus, but also decided to make this episode transitional and save the best material for the next episode.

What I Like/Disliked -» Only liked the nice surprises, more than That is asking too much.

Overall:

Presentation -» (6/10). Nothing special.

Complication Phase -» (6/10). This time was about a trek with some emotional value for Locke and Sawyer. Kate is the main focus and her problem almost interesting.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (6/10). I don´t understand lost writers. You already know that she is Danielle, so what is the point. At least, we will see what really happened to her. At least, most of the Oceanic Six are reunited.

Time and Scenes Management -» (6/10). If you skip this episode, you will lose almost nothing.

Dialogues -» (6/10). That type of dialogues that was there to buy more time.

Action /Adventure -» (6/10). A emotional adventure which wasn´t very interesting. Sayid action it is always nice to see.

Drama/Emotions -» (6/10). Only if you care for Kate you will be amazed. Locke and Sawyer emotional scenes, well, didn´t care either.

Suspense/Tension -» (6/10). Don't´ expect anything from other world.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (6/10). This time the hints doesn't exist. You curiosity can be overshadow by the boring scenes.

Surprise/Twists -» (7/10). Nothing spectacular, was nice to see Danielle young version and that one old character is alive.

This episode can be boring, mainly because it focus on Kate and even the Island scenes was pure filler with little future hints. Overall, this episode is transitional.moreless

A castaway fate revealed, and a familiar face returns

By DavidB226Morris, May 14, 2011

The title of the episode refers to one of the most beloved books in literature, by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, the story where the Little Prince arrived from outer space, ends up stranded in the Sahara Desert with a pilot who has crashed there, the adventures that brought them both there, and the story of the child's fate-- until death and beyond. Though it's not spelled out this way (the writers are too smart for that) it's obvious that in this context the Little Prince is Aaron, a little boy with bright blond hair who was borne in a foreign place, and who Kate now loves with every fiber of her being. To paraphrase the novel, he has 'tamed' her. As we see in the first flashback, Kate formed a bond with Aaron not long after rescue, and while she might have been compensating for everyone they left behind (particularly Sawyer), she is willing to do just about anything to protect her child.

This means, of course, that it's going to take a hell of a lot more than Jack's good wishes to get Kate back to the island. The attorney that came after Kate in the opener is central to the story. Kate tries to ask to meet with her client, but the attorney tells her he ahs a court order to compel her to give a blood sample. Anybody whose watched enough Law & Order over the years knows that this ludicrous given the way the legal system is maintained. They'd be in pre-trail hell for years, not instantly. But when it is reveal that the lawyer works for Ben, well, everything makes a lot more sense. Ben knows all of the secrets that Kate's been hiding, and knows which buttons to push to get a reaction. How he figured doing this would somehow make Kate pliable coming back to the island is something the show never bother to explain, but Aaron will be the reason she goes back.

She may not be back on the island, but Kate's still affecting people there. After the first flash, Charlotte is still unconscious, and tense as the situation is, it leads the two remaining survivors of Flight 815 (well, we don't know what's happened to Bernard & Rose, but they're not here) to talk about the next move. Locke has reasoned out that perhaps the best way to stop this is to go back to where this mess started --- the Orchid. Locke also tells him that he thinks he has to bring all the survivors back to the island, particularly Kate.

Sawyer is convinced Kate is dead, but the real effect of this doesn't occur until we realize where we've flashed back to --- around the time of 'Do No Harm', just while Claire was giving birth to Aaron. When he sees the woman he fell in love with helping Claire, the pain on Sawyer's face is unimaginable. And it causes him to open up for the first time on the show--- and to Juliet, of all people. But he's convinced what's done is done, and that he needs to find another reason to go on. Ironically, that reason is staring him right in the face.

Of course, if the flashes keep happening, that may not be very likely. Charlotte has been showing the most serious signs of deterioration, but there are two more flashes in this episode, and at the end of them, Miles and Juliet are also getting nosebleeds. What's unclear is how these flashes are affecting them this way. Daniel surmises that it may have something to do with the length of time spent on the island, and since it was theorized that Charlotte was born there in the Season 4 finale, that makes a certain amount of sense. Ditto for Juliet--- she's been here over three years. But why Miles, who's only been here for a couple of weeks. Could there have been yet another reason why he was selected for this mission in the first place?

The second flash seems to take some time in the future, and having seen Season 6, it's pretty clear when in the future it's been. But the next flash we get we know where we are very soon--- the smarter of us may have picked up on it the moment we heard the people speaking French. It's November 1988, and Danielle Rousseau and her team have just crashed on the island. If you were distracted from that by the lack of subtitles, there's probably a much better reason for that --- you were squealing in delight to see Jin pulled on board the raft. He survived the explosive by getting on the wreckage , and has apparently been time skipping with the survivors. Which once again begs the question--- how big was the radius of the island? The freighter was a long way from it in Season 4. Then again, it caught Daniel, so maybe it's got a big tent.

Back on the mainland, Ben is in the middle of weaving his web, and the Oceanic 6 doesn't trust him. Sayid has just regained consciousness when once he's forced to fight off yet another attacker. It's still not clear who he works for, but he has Kate's address in his pocket. Jack goes after Kate, naturally, and they learn that the attorney is also working for Claire's mother, which makes her a blind alley. In addition, he's also responsible for getting Hurley out of jail (how'd this guy end up on Ben's Rolodex any way?). Sayid and Kate travel to the marina to meet with Ben, but they have no interest in returning. Sun is there, but definitely not for the same purpose. She's been paying for surveillance on Jack, and that has led her to Ben, who she has every intention of shooting right between the eyes. (I know, Jin's alive. Still would've been a good idea.)

This episode seems more of one drawing people together rather than any particular focus. By now, there were some fans of the show who rather openly disliked Kate by now. I'm still not sure why, as Evangeline Lilly continued to give superb work. Particularly in this episode, we know that even though Kate may not be his birth mother, like Claire, she would do anything to protect Aaron. Her agony is just as real. It's also haunting to watch Yunjin Kim in this episode. The sweet woman we saw on the island seems to be gone, and in her place is a ruthless, manipulative woman with a killer instinct. I really hate to say this, but she is her father's daughter. And Josh Holloway continues to demonstrate his enormous range, as we see James come face to face with his greatest loss.

'The Little Prince' is an episode about getting the character where they need to be, and despite some big time revelations, seems a little like filler. But we are going somewhere. Now that Jin's alive, will he ever see his wife and daughter? On this show, reunions are often messy, and in their case, a lot will come between themmoreless

The first 3 episodes were nothing! Lost really is JUST Begining with this episode...!! :)

By AnilThornberry, Jun 05, 2010

This episode was completely mind blowing and what I would like to call the real start of the 5th season. The 3 previous episodes are nothing compared to this.

Loved every minute of it. Breath-taking, exciting and a shocking episode!!!

I just knew that it had to be Ben, I just knew it. Everybody knew so thats why they wanted to confuse us with the lawyer going to Clair's Mother.

Ben is smart, Very.. smart! He always WILL gets his way. lol, gotta love him. :)

Besides this whole Kate/Aaron plot, the island parts were the best. The time travels were much more exciting than the previous time travels in the past 3 episodes. We have Jin back. Woo-hoo and Ben knows it. Now that is a totally the biggest question of this episode. How the hell does he know? He JUST got saved. Thats Lost fot you..

And a young Danielle. Love, love it! I hope she comes back. I miss and her I loved her.

Cant wait for next week!moreless

A great mix of time-traveling Island storylines and O6 storylines.

By motleylil, Jun 05, 2010

I'll have to admit that I am far from being an O6 fan. I love those characters themselves (except for Sun), but some of the O6 storylines have been a bit wacky. Even though, I have enjoyed much more than I would have thought this episode. The off-Island parts were very well done, probably my favorite after-the-Island storyline yet, that is, with the exception of Ben's scenes in season 4. And the Island storyline, while they were less important than in 'Jughead', have been more than satisfying. The shows seems to be setting a rhythm for what the Island has yet to offer us. And, of course, how awesome was it to see Jin show up, and to meet young Rousseau? Rousseau who, I was surprised of it, does not look like as crazy as what we've seen of before, or should I say, after. Very would be the answer. I am watching this season of the show with very high expectations, and every episode has lived up to them for now. So should you watch it? Absolutely.moreless

Jin is alive and found in the water by danielle. Kate jack sayid ben and sun meet.

By jesse757x, Jun 05, 2010

Wow what a great episode. Season five is starting to pick up. Lost is like a puzzle and the pieces are slowly but surely coming together. I did not expect to see Claire's mother again. Is Ben using Aaron to blackmail Kate? Jin is back! I really thought he was dead, and we finally get to see more of Danielle Rousseau! I can't wait t see how and when the oceanic six get back to the Island. I also think Sawyer and Juliet are going to have a love connection. These episodes keep leaving me wanting more. Lost is one of the best shows on tv.moreless

It doesnt get more suspenseful, epic, or more beautiful than this folks!

By toonaspie, Jun 05, 2010

I have no clue how this show is going to end but man...talk about an episode that is leading us all toward something amazing.

First off, they did well with keeping everyone satisfied with the progress of the story. Charlotte is okay but still in danger and now Miles and Juliette are affected by the crazy time travel business. There's chaos back in civilization as someone is after Aaron. This episode had the best on-island scenes ever!!! Sawyer seeing the season one flashback of Kate delivering Aaron. Absolutely beautiful and heartbreaking! Of all the old scenes they could have brought certain characters back in time to! And what else can I say? I'm speechless. Not only do we get something beautiful as a season one flashback witnessed by a major character but we also get the suspense of those people on the canoe attacking Sawyer and Juliet's group. Add a little OMG Jin is alive! and combine it with Jin encountering Rousseau's team upon arrival on the island in 1988. There you go folks...it's Lost at it's awesomness!!!moreless

This is the first episode this season that I really liked. The team on the island moves forward, the O6 are coming together, and my adjustment to the time traveling stuff is getting smoother.

By RobGrizz, Jun 05, 2010

First, let me say My So-Called Life is my favorite TV show of all time. So to see Tom Irwin (Angela's dad) now working on LOST (my current second favorite show of all time) back in "Because You Left" and now here in a substantially larger role, is a real delight. Here, he is Ben's lawyer (is there any one-liner Michael Emerson can't know out of the park?) and is working diligently to take Aaron away from Kate.

But not before were were thrown a curve ball. It looked as if Mr. Dan Norton's client was actually Claire's mom (!), as discovered by Jack and Kate when they tailed him back to her motel. This would have been a welcome surprise, but it turns out she was only getting a settlement from the crash, and still believes Claire to be dead. I admit, even though I was a fan of the Jack/Kate relationship over Kate/Sawyer, I'm growing a little tired of the two of them not being able to trust each other. And speaking of Sawyer, seeing him so sad about the loss of Kate was pretty moving. I've never seen Sawyer like this, and honestly, now I really hope he finds his way back to her. Josh Halloway's character has developed so much, the scoundrel with a heart. He and the other Left Behind-ers were on the move to the Orchid station, where Locke thinks he might be able to get off the Island, like Ben did, get the 06 back, and undo this whole mess. But Ben is gone because he moved the Island, which must be the only course John is thinking of. But lest we forget, he said that doing this is both dangerous and unpredictable, so what happened to him may not happen to Locke.

I loved both the on and off-Island events this week, but surprisingly, I favored the on-island team (consisting of only 2 original cast members and all newbies), I liked seeing Juliet, Faraday and the rest all working together, and Sawyer's lines as they flashed out of the firefight and into a rain storm were fantastic!

Finally there was the big reveal at the end of the episode, a 2 for one deal, if you will. Jin is alive, and he's been found by the French expedition team (including a young noticeably hotter and pregnant, Rousseau!) This is the backstory I've been waiting for since "Live Together, Die Alone" the S1 finale! Unfortunately the reveal was tainted a bit thanks to some butthole spoilers on the internet. This is the exact reason I never go on message boards or blogs or anything to discuss this show. All in all, great episode, though. Looking forward to the O6 showdown next week!moreless

A pleasant surprise.

By JBentham, Jun 05, 2010

"The Little Prince" is essentially the best "example" episode of season 5 so far. This episode felt by far the most balanced of all so far. The island and O6 stuff was equally great, the pacing was fantastic, the reveals were placed nicely, and were very satisfying.

I have to say that this is probably my favorite episode so far of the season, and wow, what a surprise, it was a Kate epi!

No other Kate episode came this close. So I'm impressed.

I just loved the atmosphere. Jack, Sayid and Ben co operating was, in a way, a relief, considering how depressing the entire O6 story was only a few episodes ago.

The time jumps in the episodes were pivotal too. I'm still interested in knowing who Juliet shot - would be rather ironic if it was the O6 itself, hence the Ajira Airways bottle...moreless

Wow that was yet another overwhelming dose of Lost served to us!!

By maujla, Jun 05, 2010

This season has definately picked up from the momentum of the previous episodes, yet this episode is building more and more momentum for the episodes to come. Guys n gals we have 13 more to go!!!!! how much more can we take. First of all there was some mysteries revealed and questions answered in this installment (with a few raised as usual lol) like whats Sun really upto, what're Bens ultimate intentions (we know hes getting everyone back but what then??) and i wonder what happened to Danielles crew when the others found em (that was a nice ending with her back but Locke:"anyone speak french" kinda gave it away right there :). On the island sooo much happened, i have this theory that charlotte was born on the island and when miles got the nosebleeds immediately i was like what about dr.chang?? he had a son , could it not be him ??? :) , with Juliette i think its because she was on the island at the same time that she was there (LOL as ridiculous as that sounds its true) Faraday, Sawyer "Thank you God" hahah , Sayid, kate, JIN!!!! omg this was yet another classic. My appetite for Lost's craziness has been catered to for sure so far, but i have a feeling i'm gonna be stufffffed by the time this is all done, cant wait till next week!!!moreless

Load More Reviews