The Other Woman

Episode Reviews (75)

Great

I literally fell asleep. Don't like Juliet.

By ropichuli, Jan 12, 2013

I really, really did not like this episode. I just don't buy this crap of Juliet being good. I can't stand her. Compared to last week's episode this was nothing. I mean, come on, who cares about Juliet?? I think Elizabeth Mitchell is not believable at all, at least not compared to the other actors and actresses. With them you see history in their eyes: Sayid, Sawyer, Kate, Jack, but Juliet's say nothing, they're blanc. It was a wasted episode, they could have done much better. Lets hope it doesn't get worse.

However I still believe Lost is the best show on TV nowadays. They have us accustomed to a certain level of greatness, and this one fell short!moreless

OK I made a mistake in my last review - this episode was way better than the Constant.

By vodazz, Nov 30, 2010

OK now many will think that I'm crazy and Jack-Kate fans will be angry with me, but I'm Jack-Juliet fan so... The ending was perfect. One of the reasons that I watch LOST is the relationship between Jack and Juliet. The writers finally did what I was waitng for from the last time Jack and Juliet kissed. Only this time it was much more romatic. There was a hug too. Ahhhhhh....

Also we found out that Penny's father is the one who hired the "boat people" and that he might be the evil, who wants to find the island. I say "might" because that tape could have been another of Ben's tricks. We will just have to wait and see.moreless

Something died in me while watching this episode

By Dr_Dick, May 27, 2010

I don't know where to begin... a very poor episode.

I don't care about Juliet and her promiscuity.

I don't care about Goodwin and his chemical burn.

I don't care about some shrink chick that pops out of the blue. I don't care about Jack's boyscout crush.

I don't care about "The Tempest". I don't care about releasing or not releasing the gas.

I don't care about Claire's function and her obviously unlimited Make-Up depot.

I don't care about watching Charles Widmore beating up some dude.

I don't care about seeing Ben fooling Locke again and again and again.

I don't care about horseshoes.

I just don't care.moreless

Talk about a major step down

By DavidB226Morris, Apr 04, 2010

Well, they can't all be like 'The Constant'. There is a tendency to rank this episode as one of the most disappointing and confusing of the series, and in many ways, that's an accurate description. Yet despite all that, this one seems a little more grounded than the weaker episodes of the first three seasons, and it gives a more accurate description of Juliet then we get for much of Season 4.

In my mind, one of the bigger disappointments of Lost is that after Juliet's betrayal of the Others in Season 3, we never see any confrontation between the two. However, in this episode, we get a better idea as to some of the backstory between the two, and it's pretty interesting. It appears that even though the Others recruited her, Ben seemed to take an almost predatory interest in her from the beginning. We know from 'One of Us' that Juliet had a hard time on the island, and now we realize that Goodwin was one of the reasons that she was able to cope.

There's an interesting psychological construct for Juliet's behavior. In 'Not In Portland', we learned that she had divorced her husband Edmund, doubtless because he was an inveterate womanizer. Despite that, it took Edmund's (Other arranged) death for Juliet to break free of him. Now on the island, she becomes, well, 'The Other Woman' in Goodwin and Harper's marriage, and even though Harper tells her that there will be consequences if she continues with the affair, she keeps up with it, long afterwards. Juliet is not the kind of woman who can end relationship even when the consequences are horrible, not only for her, but for everyone else involved.

It's her relationship with Ben that is the most thorny. He has an obsessive relationship with her from the beginning, and now we realize it was his idea of romance. But Ben is so contorted that he can not express things openly, and so manipulative that he seems to pull strings on people even when he's nowhere near any of them. Even though Goodwin was a loyal soldier, and there were apt reasons for getting him out as a spy with the tail section, he did it anyway to punish Juliet. And now, even though he's still locked up on the other side of the island, he still has the capability (through Harper) to move her.

Unfortunately, the whole quest for the Tempest station (yet another project for the Dharma Initiative) does seem a bit more like a MacGuffin than anything really related to the world of Lost. It seems super complicated to send Daniel and Charlotte all the way to the island to turn off the gas that could end up killing everyone on the island. We know that Ben has probably used it before (no doubt, this is where the gas for the Dharma Purge came from), but why would he use it now, if he was in captivity. It does seem as something more of an exercise than any other part of the season, especially when we learn that Ben is supposedly on the side of the angels this time. (And if you believe that one, I've got some beachfront property in Otherton to sell you)

The more interesting part of the episode (and what makes it impossible to completely dismiss) is what's happening between Ben and Locke in the Others camp. Locke's leadership is obviously starting to fray, especially if someone as innocuous as Claire is starting to have serious doubts about his leadership. Ben (who knows firsthand what it's like when your underlings start revolting) finally agrees to tell Locke what he knows about the people on the freighter. (Curiously enough, his main source of information is found on a tape labeled 'Red Sox'. Was this Ben's favorite team? Or was he just pissed that the Yankees beat them?)

The face of the enemy is a familiar one-- Charles Widmore. We've already known from all of Desmond's flashbacks what a piece of work this man is, and we've been able to intuit from little bits of data fed to us in those flashbacks, that he probably knows something about the island.. Now Ben says that he's determined to possess it, but claims ignorance as to why. This is another of Ben's great tricks--- hiding lies in truth. He claims to have no idea what Widmore is planning, but we shall learn--- a lot sooner than we think---- that he knows exactly who he is and what his connection to the island is. We'll soon see how ruthless he is, and that there may be a potential chess match being set up between these two devious personalities.

This is episode also brings about Kate returning to the beach after Locke threw her out. (It's unclear why it took her and Sayid less than a day to get to the bunkers, but apparently two to come back.) This reopens the triangle (or rectangle) that seems to be developing between Kate, Juliet and Jack. It's been less than a week since Jack told Kate that he was in love with her, and now here he is making goo-goo eyes at Juliet, holding her in his arms, etc. I've already stated that I have no real position between who ends up with who in this particular tangle, and quite frankly it seems more than a little presumptuous to be dealing with it now that rescue seems to be coming.

While the Juliet part of this episode is ultimately not as strong as many of the others, it does once again reveal how masterful a manipulator Ben is. He makes Goodwin go to the tail section even though he knows there's danger; he takes position of the children in that section even though there are objections; he makes Harper go out and send Juliet on another bombing run, and now he's finally manage to manipulate himself out of his prison at Otherton. When Harper tells Juliet at the beginning of the episode that "Ben is exactly where he needs to be", I have little doubt of that. The question is, now that we know who the enemy is, does this make Ben into one of the good guys that he has always claimed to be a part of? I don't believe it for a minute, but then again, I'm not on the island.

My score:6moreless

The type of episode, that only one or two good scenes barely save an episode!!!

By Dante_Edy, Jul 16, 2009

Plot Details/Objective -» Every character have their share of participation in Lost, don´t matter if they are not an strong character. This time was about revealing more about Juliet past, which I thought to be a unnecessary thing to Know right now (season 3 was more suitable for this, since we already Know what was essential, this flashbacks just prove this. After they made the episode, they Knew this focus on Juliet Past and Present weren´t enough, so what they did. They put Ben in Revealing mode.

What I Like/Disliked -» I think that Juliet Flashbacks was very forced, the add about Ben being possessive is strange and was just to make Story. The Island focus was poor, again the writers utilized 2 of the new Characters to make a mission for Juliet and Jack, also Kate. Ben and Locke Interaction was better, wasn´t expecting that Ben would Reveal anything. This is why I liked the ending, was funny.

Overall:

Presentation -» (5/10). Simply Poor, a flashbacks about Juliet with a therapist.

Complication Phase -» (5/10) I mean, you can notice from the beginning that Dan is not a bad guy, his actions wasn´t enough to be suspected and to thought that they were trying to kill anyone. Very poorly done.

Climax -» (6/10). Juliet with a Gun, and a misunderstood that put everyone life in Danger isn´t interesting.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (8/10). The ending was great, one of the highlights of this episode and one of the Key moments.

Flashbacks -» (6/10). There were some people that Liked Juliet flashbacks, but I already Know that we have super fans and Fans that are looking for quality and I guarantee, this flashbacks was forced and is unnecessary to see this one.

Time and Scenes Management -» (5/10). It is hard to not notice that Juliet Flashbacks was forced and her present situation was only a filler adventure. Ben and Locke Scenes was necessary for the future events on the Island.

Dialogues -» (7/10). Apart from Ben and Locke, other dialogues was there to buy time.

Action /Adventure -» (4/10). It seems that type of movies that the producers have to put something predictable and unnecessary to make fans feel bored.

Drama/Emotions -» (6/10). Juliet acting is good, the same for Ben, but more than this, this episode couldn´t deliver that type of emotional scenes that can make you feel sorry or cry.

Suspense/Tension -» (5/10). Weak and predictable, nobody would die, so…

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (7/10). Ben make a revelation and a hint that maybe is not telling all the truth.

Surprise/Twists -» (8/10). The ending is funny and intriguing,

Thoughts Changer -» None.

The type of episode, that only one or two good scenes barely save an episode.moreless

Ben in love.

By RobGrizz, Jan 11, 2009

Alot of people didn't like this one, but I kinda dug it. Juliet is fast becoming my favorite female on the show- her backstories are always strong. Here this reveals an interesting new perspective on her time with the Others, as it is revealed that Ben is actually in love with her. Now I can understand people not really being into this- it seems like an afterthought, and it paints Ben as sort of a meek puppy-dog, which destroys the illusion and mystic of his creepiness. The wannabe fakeout at the beginning with the therapist and the Tempest station drama doesn't really work but as usual Michael Emmerson and Elizabeth Mitchel are strong enough to carry the material.moreless

Why this episode was voted the least liked episode of season 4, I will never understand as this is definately my favourite episode of season 4.

By Lostrules1, Nov 07, 2008

I have to see even on top of amazing episodes such as The Constant, Cabin Fever and There's No Place Like Home, this episode is one of my favourite episodes of season 4, simply because everything seemed to be right about it. We had amazing acting from Elizabeth Mitchell, Michael Emerson and Matthew Fox, we got to see one of the most dangerous Dharma stations yet and we also found out who is behind sending the freighter to the island...and it was an amazing moment. The episodes flashbacks centre around Juliet after she has recently arrived on the island. She begins to have therapy sessions with a harsh and bitter woman named Harper Stanhope but is soon cheered up when she meets Goodwin, who she begins seeing. The plot thickens when we realise two things 1) That Goodwin is married to Harper and 2) That Ben has a major crush on Juliet and will stop at nothing to make her his. Elizabeth Mitchell is able to play the sensitive, naive Juliet that we've come to associate with her flashbacks so perfectly, whilst Michael Emerson delivers one of his creepiest and possibly heartbreaking performances of the show. By the end of Juliet's flashes we realise that Ben sent Goodwin to be the tail section spy on purpose, hoping to get him killed and it seems his plan worked. As Juliet weeps over Goodwin's body, Ben says that he still can't understand why Juliet doesn't realise that she is his property and no-one elses.

But why is Ben so fixated on Juliet, before he even got to know her? Harper makes a comment to Juliet during one of her sessions that the reason Ben has a crush on her is because she looks just like "her." But who is the "her" to which Harper refers. As most people think, could it be Ben's childhood lover Annie who has possibly died sometime on the island. Maybe Ben still hasn't got over her. Or maybe it could be a reference to Ben's mother who seems to play an important role in his life. In a future episode we see that Ben has a portrait of his mother in his house at the Barracks she he clearly still cares about her, even though she has been dead for so long. Back to the future, Juliet gets a visit from Harper who tells her that Daniel and Charlotte are going to the Dharma station, the Tempest, and that they will release the gas (presumably the same gas that killed the Dharma Initiative in The Man Behind the Curtains), killing everyone on the island. Jack and Juliet set out to stop them but upon their arrival at the Tempest it becomes clear that Daniel and Charlotte are trying to stop the gas from being released, not trying to release it. Apparently Ben, or one of the others, tried to activate it when they heard the freighter was on it's way. Juliet is forced to make a choice as she holds a gun on the two of them. Should she listen to Ben Linus one more time or finally except that he is a monster and capable of anything? Eventually she lowers her gun, allowing Daniel to shut off the gas and it seems that once and for all Juliet has signed over her aligance to Jack and the survivors.

Back at the Barracks meanwhile Locke is beginning to lose his grip on his group. Claire is questioning his methods of getting information from Miles and Ben seems to know it. Ben eventually agrees to tell Locke who owns the freighter if he will allow Ben to sleep in a proper bed and eat from a table. Locke agrees and the viewers are shocked to learn that the owner of the freighter and in effect, the person who plans to kill everyone on the island is...Charles Widmore, Penny's father and Desmond's antagonist. I have to admit when we saw Widmore bidding for the diary of the Black Rock in the previous episode, I thought it would take the writers another two seasons to admit why he was doing that, but it was basically answered in the next episode. Widmore wants the island to exploit it and was probably hoping that the Black Rock's diary might hold some info on where the island was. In the final moments of the episode Juliet tells Jack that they can't be together because of Ben and Jack says that if Ben wants to kill him than he knows were to find him. Everything seems to have ended happily for Juliet but things are still going to a boiling point as we learn more about the freighter and about why they are on the island. There are some key questions to take from this episode. How did Daniel and Charlotte know that Ben had used the gas previously? Does Widmore have more information on Ben than we think? And how does Widmore even know about the island? Has he heard of it through his connections to the Dharma Initiative or has he been on the island himself? Well, it seems we will have to wait patientally for these answers and heres hoping that season 5 will present them in a timely fashion.moreless

A Juliet-centric episode.

By Writer2000, Sep 15, 2008

Let me just start by saying that all things considered, I absolutely loved this episode. The main reason that I loved this episode so much is because Juliet is one of my most favorite characters on the show. I really enjoyed the flash backs of Juliet's time on the island as an Other. I was really shocked by the fact that she had an affair with her therapist's husband. Another reason that I loved this episode so much was the fact that Daniel and Charlotte were once again heavily involved in one of the main story lines of the episode like they were in the last episode. All in all, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode from everyone involved in the making of it, and I can't wait to watch the rest of season four.moreless

This should've been in season 3 instead of season 4.

By JBentham, Aug 31, 2008

It has been hinted in the mobisode "The Envelope" that Ben has feelings towards Juliet. Heck, even in season 3 episode 2: they share an awkward moment as Juliet gives Jack soup (Ben to Juliet, smiling): "you never made me soup".

However, bringing up this matter right at the middle of the season the Oceanic Six is supposed to leave the island AND right after an episode where we got an explanation to Desmond's time travel and Desmond and Penny, the most epic couple ever contacted eachother, was a grave mistake. The episode wasn't bad, but it wasn't really good either, mostly because of it's awkward placement.

The island plot was laughable, actually. Okay, so... Dan and Charlotte head off to a previously unseen Dharma station called "The Tempest" to release some sort of nerve gas that could kill everyone on the island(including Ben). So Juliet, all alone, goes ahead to kill both of them, as Harper Stanhope ordered(who claims to have these orders from Ben).

Not only does this SOUND really stupid, it is. First of all: how can Juliet can be so naive? Secondly: the flashforwards already revealed that Ben, Jack, Sawyer, Kate, etc would live. So there was zero suspense. And finally. What does this has to do with anything?

Not much of a surprise that Dan and Charlotte just wanted to neutralize the gas so Ben wouldn't be able to release it. This is what I call fake drama... Why couldn't Dan and Charlotte just TELL Jack what they would do? this would've made him trust them more, which is very important at this point, I think. After a series of laughable "action" scenes the characters finally stop acting like monkeys and actually discuss what's going on... and it's all crowned with Jack and Juliet kissing, which was good, but god, that dialouge they had there was HORRIBLE. Juliet claims that Ben owns her and that he would kill Jack because he's with her. WHAT? Okay, we see that, in the flashbacks, Ben was really that maniac. But in present time, NO! We've seen Ben treat Juliet like crap in season 3 - he is obviously over her!

Speaking of which.. the flashbacks saved the episode. They added a new side of Ben and explained why Goodwin had to stick around for so long. Basically, Ben was in love and so was Goodwin; but since Ben has the power to control people, he forced Goodwin to stay with Ana and end up killed so he can "get" Juliet. Loved the "YOU ARE MINE" scene, easily the best moment of the episode. Michael Emerson did an excellent job and so did Elizabeth Mitchell - but strictly in the flashbacks.

I mean, as I said before, Juliet's island storyline was laughable. But Ben's brief storyline was probably even worse. He talks his way out of captivity and shows John a recording which shows that Charles Widmore is behind the freighter. That's OK - but the whole thing just felt really poorly executed. It's a big reveal after all, but it didn't feel like one.

Thank god for the last scene - hilarious. It showed that Ben Linus can get exactly what he wants - anytime. But that doesn't save this episode.

Verdict: Island plot: 5/10, Flashback: 8/10, Overall: around 6.5, well below the Lost average.moreless

Load More Reviews