The Shape of Things to Come

Episode Reviews (75)

Superb

Amazing..! LOST RULES...!!

By Sarah_Is_Lost, Mar 22, 2011

Ben is forced to make a struggling decision after Locke's camp comes under attack, and Jack tries to discover the identity of a body that has washed ashore. In flashforwards, Ben recruits Sayid as his assassin and confronts Charles Widmore. Oh my god, this episode was the best episode of "LOST" so far, if I could give it out of a 100 I would give it a 100. It was truely amazing! I loved every second of it. I love Ben's episodes, he must be pleased about this episode himself. Everything about this episode was awesome! I can't wait for the next episode, "Lost" is the best show ever! I don't care what other peaple think, "LOST" rules!!moreless

We don't know what the rules are, but they've just been changed

By DavidB226Morris, Nov 09, 2010

About the only disappointing thing about this episode is that it's a flashforward involving Ben, not a flashback. But then again, since we saw in 'The Economist' that Ben was off the island, it does make a certain amount of the sense to figure out how and why.. Another disappointment; much like 'The Man Behind the Curtain' this episode raises almost as many questions as it answers. That doesn't change the fact that this is one of the best episodes that this series has ever produced. No question.

In the teaser, in addition to the comic moment of seeing Locke, Hurley and Sawyer playing Risk, we saw Ben sitting at his piano in a rare moment of peace before everyone comes in to tell him about the phone ringing. This is significant (aside from the fact that Ben has stashed a weapon under the piano bench) because it is the last time we will see him looking relaxed for a very, very long time. And he has reason to be worried, because there's a small, heavily armed group of mercenaries coming for him, with the intention of taking him hostage and killing everyone in their path to get him.

Because Ben is the focus of this episode, it's worth taking time to recognize the other characters who stand out. First, there's Sawyer, who now proves he really has come a long way. When he decides to save Claire, he goes on it with a force we haven't seen before, sweeping through a waves of bullets in order to rescue here, not even letting the fact that the house get blown up stop him. Then he decides to throw Ben to the vultures, even though the other options aren't that great either., and then when the hurlyburly's done, he decides he isn't sticking around and prepares to lead the survivors of this group (we see three background characters get kill; probably more die offscreen) back to the beach. And when Locke tells Sawyer Hurley's staying with him and Ben, the way he goes after Locke warning them not to harm a hair on his head, we see this isn't the same man who was hoarding medicine on day 1.

Then there's poor Sayid. As Ben learns in the flashforward, Sayid finally managed to find his beloved Nadia and marry her, but less than a year after his rescue, he will lose her in what seems to be an automobile accident. Ben will tell Sayid that her murder was arranged by Charles Widmore, but as we know very well, Ben can't be trusted. We won't see the accident itself for another season, but it's hard to tell whether it was arranged to kill him or her. However, it really doesn't matter much as far as Sayid's concerned. He's spent years trying to find Nadia, and it's pretty clear that she represented his salvation. But now that he's lost her, he has nothing left. It's pretty clear that Ben is manipulating him from the moment they meet, but Sayid clearly feels he has no other reason to live save for revenge. This thirst for vengeance may ultimately destroy him.

But it's Ben who's at the center of this episode, and he gets some tremendous moments. It starts with his waking up in Tunisia wearing a parka, and looking like he came out of nowhere. We won't learn how he got there til the end of the season.. But the way that he manages to adjust so quickly to his situation, leads me to believe he's done this before. But giving his actions, it's clear he's playing by a different set of rules.

And we see why. The leader of the mercenaries, Keamy, tries to find a way to get Ben out of his barricaded house. He decides to use Alex as the hostage. Ben keeps his face hidden, but then he begins to respond by telling Kearny that she means nothing to him. It's clearly a calculated bluff, and Keamy makes him pay for it. Ben is clearly shattered by what has happened, and can not bring himself to move. The moment he leaves the building, he kneels by his daughter (with what I have come to call 'Ben's theme' playing on the soundtrack; kudos to Giacchino for perfectly matching it) he closes his daughters eyes, and weeps. His world has imploded, and the phrase "He changed the rules" means that Ben is going to start playing differently. (Not like he was using Marquis of Queensbury rules before, but still...)

Which is follows his next action: when he apparently summons the monster. Based on what we now know about it, it's pretty clear that Ben summoned it, but that it also allowed itself to be used. But it runs headlong into this battle, and the bullets that are fired clearly bounce right off it. Furthermore, though it kills a lot of people, there are still a couple who manage to survive. Did the monster deliberately leave them alive? Still not sure yet.

But of course the scene that had everybody talking was the encounter at the end when Ben walks right into the penthouse of Charles Widmore. Up until now, Ben said that he didn't know why Widmore was seeking the island. Now we have a much clearer idea.

Ben asks Charles when he started keeping scotch by the bed (Charles still drinks MacCutcheon after all these years), and he tells him, since the nightmares started. Still not sure what that means. Widmore asks Ben if he's here to kill him. Ben replies: "We both know I can't do that." The clearest implication (at least by future events) is that the island has greater plans for both men, and just as in the case of Michael, won't let either of them die. Ben then says Widmore murdered his daughter, Widmore replies that he didn't kill that poor girl, as if to suggest that Alex meant nothing to Ben, which we now know for certain is not true. Ben then tells Charles he didn't kill Alex, but as we will find out, he believes this too. Widmore then tells Ben I know who you are boy. What you are. I know everything you have you took from me." We'll eventually find out that their history goes back over thirty years, so it makes sense Widmore does call him boy. He also thinks that he took the island from him. That, however, assumes that the island was his, and it's becoming less clear whether it ever did belong to him. Perhaps he spent so much time on it that he feels he owns it. Ben then says the words that made ice run down everyone's spine: he's going to kill Penny, so that Widmore will know how he feels. Widmore doesn't blink, but he then adds, "You'll never find her." Is it possible that the broach between father and daughter has become so deep that Widmore has now lost track of her, and therefore believes that if he can't find her, this boy can't either? I'm inclined to believe this, as evidence will show that to be true. Then there's one final exchange: Charles says that the island "is mine, it was once and it will be again." Ben tells him it isn't. Charles says that the hunt is on "for both of us", and that is definitely true. It's going to take both men awhile, but each of them will find their way there, and will step over the bodies of anyone in order to do it.

It's still not clear which of these two men is the villain and which is the victim. The language alone would seem to imply that Ben is the one who has been wronged. But the lighting of the scene is arrange in such a way that Ben appears in black, and Widmore in white, and we know that light and dark have been key themes through this series. However, just because you have two sides in a war, doesn't mean that either of them is right. The survivors of 815 know this better than anybody.

And even now, they're learning it the hard way. On the beach, a body was up, and it appears to be the ship's doctor, who when we last saw him was fine. Daniel manages to work up the radio so that it can transmit in Morse code. They send a message, and then Bernard reveals that Daniel and Charlotte are liars, and that by extension, there are no plans for rescue. This must be especially galling for Jack to learn that Locke was right after all. And speaking of Jack, no one's gotten sick on this island after over three months, so what does it mean that he's suddenly getting stomach pains. Is the island sending a message that he is not relevant, or is it trying to find a way to keep him here? I think we all know what the answer is.

'The Shape of Things to Come' features awesome intrigue, memorable confrontations, death-defying action, and Michael Emerson's continued ability to demonstrate why he is one of the finest actors working today. In short, it's everything we've come to expect from Lost, and then some. We seem to be in the middle of a major chess game here, and it seems that everybody has a part to play in it. Question is, who are the players, and how will they get there?

My score:10moreless

Locke's Camp Trys To Survive An Inpending Attack From The Freighter Folk.

By Alienfanex, Oct 28, 2010

An Unexpected Tear Jerking Jaw Dropping Episode.

That's what comes to mind when I think about this episode. I remember seeing a video of the scene where the three people where shot in front of Sawyer and I thought it was funny. (Still do actually.) But when Keamy pulled the trigger of the gun that was against Alex's head, I was speachless. I had no Idea that they were that desperate to get their hands on Ben. The first thing I said on the commercial after Alex was shot was "She's not dead." I believed that untill Ben said goodbuy to her body.

I think the moral of this episode is:

BEN IS PISSED!moreless

There is a mistake in this episode Sawyer says to Hugo, dont worry chicken little the sky is not falling.

Chicken little film was released 30th of october 2005,Losts set in 2004 When ben is in the future booking in to the hotel the date is 24-10-20

By bugmenotplz, Jul 16, 2010

The chicken little film was released on 30th of october 2005, Lost occurs in 2004 and the bit where ben is in the future happens on booking in to the hotel the date is october 24th 2005 Hmm the film was more than 1 year from release then so i think that the scriptwriters got it wrong or they are now traveling to the future and watching films than coming back lol i maybe watch to much lost i am becoming a nerdmoreless

Even Jack got sick because of the bad writing

By Dr_Dick, Jul 16, 2010

Yea yea believe it or not, it was not a stomach bug that made Jack feel so miserable. Once again the uninspired lost writing has taken it's toll. It seemed like Mr. Fox was alomst ashamed of being part of this show and was probably thinking 'I didn't sign up for this!' all the time during the shot. Poor guy, gotta hang in there for another 2 seasons. Well, it's the series finale for me and I really don't care what happens from now on.

It's been a blast Lost, but it's time to say goodbye now. Bye and R. I. P.moreless

Many consider Benjamin Linus the best character on Lost, and in this revealing episode he really comes into his own. While the episode starts out on the beach, it quickly becomes a story about Ben in all aspects and it does not dissapoint.

By AleroRatking, Apr 09, 2010

Without giving away too much in the episode, this is one of the pinnacle points of the season. The confrontation between the Widmore's people and Ben was something that had to be seen to believe, and Michael Emerson once again shows why he is clearly Emmy worthy of best supporting actor. Instead of being a pure evil being he shows deep emotions, and you begin to see his own battle against Charles Widmore. This was the most action-packed episode of Lost, but yet it kept itself true to form with a deep plot, that the action helped support. The boat was missing from the episode, but while Sayid, Desmond, and Michael are extremely interesting, this episode was too jam-packed to fit it in, and you won't be missing them at all. In many ways, this episode is very much like a season premier, because the remainder of the season is going to be dedicated to the fallout from this battle, and the journey to finally meet Jacob.moreless

It's all about the Benjamin. A riveting performance with shocking events. A superb episode. But one little thing that could have improved.

By JakesRuger19, Apr 09, 2010

Michael Emerson plays Ben with a horrifyingly evil way, and that truly comes out in this episode. He put his "own daughter's" life on the line for something not understood to us, and fights his way through a deadly world in Iraq. The death of Alex and Rosseau dropped some jaws and the formidable future of Penny raises a different kind of question, one that isn't part of a mysterious past or story, but leaves us suspense.

One thing that was a bit distracting was Sawyer's dialogue. With blatant somewhat-forced statements like "who the hell is Jacob?" and "I'm going back to the beach" it seems that he has existed in this season so far just to react to everything Locke says. However, the way he stood up against Locke was right in his character. I really like Sawyer's character, especially after he killed Anthony Cooper, and I just wish they would utilize him more fully.moreless

Wow wow wow! This made the hiatus well worth it!

By Mads13, Apr 09, 2010

What a great combination of action, character drama, and story telling. Even during its character parts, this episode never came to a stop.

I've been glad they kept Ben on the show and this episode really drives it home. And of course no one but Emerson could him as perfectly. Now we really get to see Ben fleshed out more. For all the lying, manipulating, and scheming he's done, we got to his 'human' side. It would appear he really did love Alex. Even when he tells Keamy that she means nothing to him, you can tell by his he's worried.

And Smokey returns, with a major vengeance. We've never seen it before in this capacity. Can Ben control it? Summon it? Does it 'sense' emotional states from certain people? That scene raised VERY interesting questions.

And for God's sake, what are these rules?!? I NEED to know! I sense all the game references in the show are going to mean something a bit more literal in the overall story.moreless

Extreme WTF-fest brought to your home by the crew and cast of "LOST".

By PabloExobar, Apr 09, 2010

Let's see...Ben, Locke and Hurley go on a mission to find Mr. Jacob. Ben teleported in the desert. Dr Ray's dead but is not. Alex is killed with a headshot. Jack appears to be sick. The smoke monster is controlled(or can be controlled) by Ben. The smoke monster kills the WHOLE F'N ARMY. We find out how Sayid ended up with Ben. Charles and Ben face off. BEN tells Charles HE'S GOING to KILL Penelope, DESMOND'S ONLY reason to LIVE!

F*********CK!

I'm ill, and I've an exam starting VERY soon, but this episode just made me go INSANE. I would put it under The Constant, but not by much. This episode actually provided more development and OMG scenes, but The Constant was just more epic.

Anyways. This episode was 10/10. But. I'm not going to be surprised if people will say "this is too sci fi now, SRSLY". We had many sci fi themed episodes, but this... The scene where smokey kills the army.. that was... Wow. Science fiction to the maximum.

While this episode didn't have too much character development, this time around it wasn't missing as badly as from the rest of the season because the actual events, answers made up for it.

Bring on next friggin week!moreless

Load More Reviews