The Shape of Things to Come

Episode Reviews (74)

Superb

Amazing..! LOST RULES...!!

By Sarah_Is_Lost, Mar 22, 2011

Ben is forced to make a struggling decision after Locke's camp comes under attack, and Jack tries to discover the identity of a body that has washed ashore. In flashforwards, Ben recruits Sayid as his assassin and confronts Charles Widmore. Oh my god, this episode was the best episode of "LOST" so far, if I could give it out of a 100 I would give it a 100. It was truely amazing! I loved every second of it. I love Ben's episodes, he must be pleased about this episode himself. Everything about this episode was awesome! I can't wait for the next episode, "Lost" is the best show ever! I don't care what other peaple think, "LOST" rules!!moreless

A phenomenal piece of storytelling that stands out as one of LOST's best. Ever.

By RobGrizz, Nov 09, 2010

Lost has never been known as an action series, but the scenes here could rival anything seen on 24. The Shape of Things to Come is from top to bottom brilliant, with Michael Emerson giving his best performance to date. This episode unveiled alot, including the meaning of Ben's hidden room, his relationship with the monster, a small taste of the amount of resources he has, the fact that he can handle himself physically, the different languages he speaks, his involvement with Sayid, his ability to time travel, and finally his war with Charles Whidmore.

Sadly, it also showed us the first time Ben's mind games don't work- and it costs him his daughter.

Other nice moments include the use of Bernard and the Morse Code situation back at the beach, and just about everything with Sawyer playing "hero of the day."moreless

Locke's Camp Trys To Survive An Inpending Attack From The Freighter Folk.

By Alienfanex, Oct 28, 2010

An Unexpected Tear Jerking Jaw Dropping Episode.

That's what comes to mind when I think about this episode. I remember seeing a video of the scene where the three people where shot in front of Sawyer and I thought it was funny. (Still do actually.) But when Keamy pulled the trigger of the gun that was against Alex's head, I was speachless. I had no Idea that they were that desperate to get their hands on Ben. The first thing I said on the commercial after Alex was shot was "She's not dead." I believed that untill Ben said goodbuy to her body.

I think the moral of this episode is:

BEN IS PISSED!moreless

There is a mistake in this episode Sawyer says to Hugo, dont worry chicken little the sky is not falling.

Chicken little film was released 30th of october 2005,Losts set in 2004 When ben is in the future booking in to the hotel the date is 24-10-20

By bugmenotplz, Jul 16, 2010

The chicken little film was released on 30th of october 2005, Lost occurs in 2004 and the bit where ben is in the future happens on booking in to the hotel the date is october 24th 2005 Hmm the film was more than 1 year from release then so i think that the scriptwriters got it wrong or they are now traveling to the future and watching films than coming back lol i maybe watch to much lost i am becoming a nerdmoreless

Even Jack got sick because of the bad writing

By Dr_Dick, Jul 16, 2010

Yea yea believe it or not, it was not a stomach bug that made Jack feel so miserable. Once again the uninspired lost writing has taken it's toll. It seemed like Mr. Fox was alomst ashamed of being part of this show and was probably thinking 'I didn't sign up for this!' all the time during the shot. Poor guy, gotta hang in there for another 2 seasons. Well, it's the series finale for me and I really don't care what happens from now on.

It's been a blast Lost, but it's time to say goodbye now. Bye and R. I. P.moreless

Many consider Benjamin Linus the best character on Lost, and in this revealing episode he really comes into his own. While the episode starts out on the beach, it quickly becomes a story about Ben in all aspects and it does not dissapoint.

By AleroRatking, Apr 09, 2010

Without giving away too much in the episode, this is one of the pinnacle points of the season. The confrontation between the Widmore's people and Ben was something that had to be seen to believe, and Michael Emerson once again shows why he is clearly Emmy worthy of best supporting actor. Instead of being a pure evil being he shows deep emotions, and you begin to see his own battle against Charles Widmore. This was the most action-packed episode of Lost, but yet it kept itself true to form with a deep plot, that the action helped support. The boat was missing from the episode, but while Sayid, Desmond, and Michael are extremely interesting, this episode was too jam-packed to fit it in, and you won't be missing them at all. In many ways, this episode is very much like a season premier, because the remainder of the season is going to be dedicated to the fallout from this battle, and the journey to finally meet Jacob.moreless

It's all about the Benjamin. A riveting performance with shocking events. A superb episode. But one little thing that could have improved.

By JakesRuger19, Apr 09, 2010

Michael Emerson plays Ben with a horrifyingly evil way, and that truly comes out in this episode. He put his "own daughter's" life on the line for something not understood to us, and fights his way through a deadly world in Iraq. The death of Alex and Rosseau dropped some jaws and the formidable future of Penny raises a different kind of question, one that isn't part of a mysterious past or story, but leaves us suspense.

One thing that was a bit distracting was Sawyer's dialogue. With blatant somewhat-forced statements like "who the hell is Jacob?" and "I'm going back to the beach" it seems that he has existed in this season so far just to react to everything Locke says. However, the way he stood up against Locke was right in his character. I really like Sawyer's character, especially after he killed Anthony Cooper, and I just wish they would utilize him more fully.moreless

Wow wow wow! This made the hiatus well worth it!

By Mads13, Apr 09, 2010

What a great combination of action, character drama, and story telling. Even during its character parts, this episode never came to a stop.

I've been glad they kept Ben on the show and this episode really drives it home. And of course no one but Emerson could him as perfectly. Now we really get to see Ben fleshed out more. For all the lying, manipulating, and scheming he's done, we got to his 'human' side. It would appear he really did love Alex. Even when he tells Keamy that she means nothing to him, you can tell by his he's worried.

And Smokey returns, with a major vengeance. We've never seen it before in this capacity. Can Ben control it? Summon it? Does it 'sense' emotional states from certain people? That scene raised VERY interesting questions.

And for God's sake, what are these rules?!? I NEED to know! I sense all the game references in the show are going to mean something a bit more literal in the overall story.moreless

Extreme WTF-fest brought to your home by the crew and cast of "LOST".

By PabloExobar, Apr 09, 2010

Let's see...Ben, Locke and Hurley go on a mission to find Mr. Jacob. Ben teleported in the desert. Dr Ray's dead but is not. Alex is killed with a headshot. Jack appears to be sick. The smoke monster is controlled(or can be controlled) by Ben. The smoke monster kills the WHOLE F'N ARMY. We find out how Sayid ended up with Ben. Charles and Ben face off. BEN tells Charles HE'S GOING to KILL Penelope, DESMOND'S ONLY reason to LIVE!

F*********CK!

I'm ill, and I've an exam starting VERY soon, but this episode just made me go INSANE. I would put it under The Constant, but not by much. This episode actually provided more development and OMG scenes, but The Constant was just more epic.

Anyways. This episode was 10/10. But. I'm not going to be surprised if people will say "this is too sci fi now, SRSLY". We had many sci fi themed episodes, but this... The scene where smokey kills the army.. that was... Wow. Science fiction to the maximum.

While this episode didn't have too much character development, this time around it wasn't missing as badly as from the rest of the season because the actual events, answers made up for it.

Bring on next friggin week!moreless

Load More Reviews