This Place is Death

Episode Reviews (37)

Superb

An episode that lives up to its name

By DavidB226Morris, May 21, 2011

We're getting some big time revelations in this episode, as well as a fulfillment of a pledge the writers made way back in Season 2. We were promised a flashback that would tell us the history of Rousseau, how she got to the island, and what happened while we there. They kept putting it off, and after Rousseau was killed in Season 4, it seemed it would never happen. Thank you, leaping through time island for keeping your promise.

The first fifteen minutes of 'This Place is Death' essentially tell us the story of Danielle Rousseau, as seen through the eyes of Jin. Because of the language barrier (and the fact that Jin and Sun had probably the least contact with the woman while she was alive) , he can't tell her what's about to happen. Instead, he has to witness a lot of the horrors play out. Rousseau, who is the youngest member of a six-person French team of explorers, have gotten shipwrecked on the island. They begin to explore, searching for the radio tower, which is broadcasting the numbers. (It's now likely that they were being relayed from the Swan station, via the antenna.) They move into the jungle to search of the source of the numbers. Then her team is attacked by the monster (This is something of an inconsistency, but considering that Danielle changed the story in 'Numbers' from what it was in 'Solitary', we'll give the writers that discrepancy.) The monster kills Nadine, the other woman almost identical to the way it killed the captain in the Pilot, and then attempts to attack Montand, near a temple. Montand loses his arm, and is pulled away into a recess. When he begins to cry for help, the others go in after him, but Jin stops Danielle. At this point, the island shifts again (and now we know that it's happening to the survivors; Rousseau is right next to Jin, and nothing happens to her) and Jin is alone. We soon find out that it's about a month later, and that Danielle has now formed a camp on the beach, has killed Brennan and Lacombe, the other two team members (their bodies are on the ground) and is arguing with Robert, her lover, and the baby's father. Robert is frantically trying to convince her to lower the gun, and the instant she does, he fires--- but because she's removed the firing pin (like she said in Solitary) nothing happens, and she kills him. I'm pretty sure this drove her over the edge (though sixteen years of solitary living at the loss of Alex didn't help), and that's probably the reason she doesn't recognize Jin when she came across him in 2004. (Maybe she thought he was an illusion of the monster.)

Jin then is reunited with the other survivors, who really are stunned to see him (he must also be overjoyed that someone else who speaks Korean is still on the island, though his English is even better than it was in Season 4), but things are getting worse. The flashes are starting to happen even closer together, and Charlotte's condition begin to completely degenerate. Furthermore, now Sawyer and Juliet are starting to suffer nosebleeds. Whatever this is, it's getting worse, and right now, Locke seems to have the only valid idea--- return to the Orchid.

Before they get there, though, Charlotte collapses, and begins to ramble incoherently. She does, however, manage to get one clear message out to Daniel, and it's a killer--- she lived on this island before, as part of the Dharma Initiative, and when she was a girl her mother and she left the island, never to see her father again. Since then, she has spent all her life searching for the island (which explains some of her behavior when she returned) The kicker is before she left, a crazy man told her to never come back--- and she now thinks that man was Daniel. It seems insane, but given what we saw in the teaser of the Season 5 premiere, we can no longer say that it's impossible. Is that how Daniel will join the Dharma Initiative? And then, in a last bit of incoherence, Charlotte dies, and Daniel is broken. We don't see much of Dan until the second half of Season 5, but it's clear that this has broken him somehow. Even though he defines the rules that "you can't change the future" he will spend the rest of his life trying to prove otherwise. Unfortunately, the cost will be even more devastating than he knows

Eventually, the rest of the survivors make it back to where the Orchid was. Jin implores Locke not to bring Sun back to the island--- he's seen enough to know that it might kill her--- and is willing to risk never seeing his wife and child again to ensure their safety. Locke intends to keep his promise, and he is an honest man. So he is lowered into an old well (which we will see again) Before he goes, Juliet says, if this works "thank you." This is the first time anybody on the island has ever expressed gratitude to Locke on a course of action (and there's significance that it's Juliet, not anyone else who's been with him every step of the way) and the look on his face speaks volume. This is significant, because none of them will see Locke again.

Unfortunately, before he can get to the bottom, there's one more flash, the well disappears, and Locke plummets to the ground, shattering his right shinbone. There he is greeted once again by 'Christian', who says he's there to help him the rest of the way, and then just stands there, giving instructions that he must gather all his friends and bring them back. Poor Locke. All his life, off and on the island, people have been using him. Now, as he listens to the idea that he may have to die in order to get everyone back to the island, he doesn't realize he's being used again. He thinks he has to bring everyone back to stop the flashes when all he has to do is push the (not) Frozen Donkey Wheel, and get it back on its axis. All he's done is seal his own fate.

We may not yet know Locke is being used, but we're pretty sure that Ben has been using Jack, and by extension the Oceanic 6, so that he can get back to the island. The problem is the other members are adamantly opposed to just this manipulation. When Kate hears that Ben's behind her current horror, she doesn't hesitate a second before taking Aaron and leaving him behind. Sayid, if anything, reacts even faster, and tells Jack and Ben that if he sees either of them again, it won't be pleasant for either of them. (He's not kidding.) And when Sun first appears to Ben, her gun is cocked and she has every intention on killing the man she thinks killed her husband. (I'm still not sure how she learned Ben was responsible for blowing up the freighter. It would be more logical to blame Widmore) But once again, with a gun in his face, Ben manages to turn the tables, and tell her that Jin is alive, and that he has proof. The proof is Jin's wedding ring. Ironically, the evidence that Jin wanted to make sure would keep Sun from ever come back is the very thing that brings her back into the fold. He also tells both of them that he's done everything to make sure that they stayed safe, which is interesting, considering that I'm pretty sure that Sayid was the one who did all of the heavy lifting.

He leads them to a church where they encounter another familiar face--- Desmond. Though it's hard to say, it's pretty obvious Ben's surprised to see him, and he is definitely blindsided when Desmond tells him he's here to see Faraday's mother. Thing is, we have met her before, and so has Desmond--- she's Eloise Hawking. (Apparently, Daniel named his pet rat after her. If that doesn't warm the cockles of your heart..) What's more surprising is that even though she clearly told Ben that he has to bring all of them back, even though there are only two of them there, she just shrugs and says "Close enough. Why? We know she has knowledge of the past. Does she really think that even though she said all of them, Jack's the only one she needs. We'll get a clearer idea of some of what she knows over the rest of the season, but right now, it seems the writers never quite got a clear idea how to handle her.

'This Place is Death' is a pretty accurate description of what the island is-- not only for Charlotte and the rest of Rousseau's team, but probably for everybody. It may not be purgatory, but for almost everyone else, it's a form of Hell. Even Locke who think it's salvation will eventually realize that for all it's healing powers, the island takes far more than it gives. We just don't know what we're going to see yet.

My score: 8.8moreless

Wow, what was that?: That was a super fantastic episode!!!

By AnilThornberry, Jun 12, 2010

This episode was mind blowingly exciting. Well the last half hour was. The first half hour felt like a filler but it really got much better towards the end. :)

Finally we're got SOME answers. I thought we weren't going to get them again this week but thank god we did. The Locke and Christian scene was simply amazing. He's sacrificing his life. But he has to be alive somehow later on. They can't completely kill him off. The island will probably cure him once they go back. Can't wait!!!

Ending scene was worth watching the entire episode. The look on Desmond was face when he saw Ms. Hawking - unforgettable.

The preview for next week looks breath-taking. Finally that long awaited Jate kiss! ;)

I'm giving it a 9.5 out of 10 because of Charlotte's death. WTF? She can't really be dead right? I will diee, NOO!!!! :(moreless

Is it just me or does this show just keeps on getting better and better. I mean seriously. its like soo exciting and just gets you pumped to watch next weeks with all these amazing cliff hangers. If you compare LOST right now from the old seasons, there

By ajk021992, Jun 12, 2010

is no comparison. It feels like a completely different show!! I liked how we got to see the smoke monster once again and it was just sweet as hell when we got to see that french dudes arm get ripped off. Something about that smoke monster guarding the temple. I just dont understand that thing. I remember it from the very first episode ive always been curious. well anyways. wow so many flashes it was ridiculous. and seriously whats up with that Christian guy. is he dead? whats he doing there I dont get him at all. His Michaels dad thats alll I know of but what does he have to do with the Island like how does he know all this stuff. And also the Girl who Faraday was is love with. before she died she says that everyone shouldnt return to the island. okay? thats weird. i still dont get whats the point in them returning like whys it so important. I thought Ben was this big deal but until I heard Christian saying oh why do you listen to him.

well anyways great episode. pumped for next week.moreless

wow wow wee wow what a splendid episode!

By DerickBentham, Jun 12, 2010

wow! where do i begin? First off, im starting to sympathize ben because no one trust him or thinks hes ever done a good deed in his life. Second of all, poor Faraday. He lost the woman he loved. Third off, im so glad to see christian back because i think he is an amazing actor and i really enjoy his on screen presence. Another thing, i really enjoy desmonds entire storyline of him looking in on the past of faraday. So far i believe this season of lost has been amazing and i can only see it getting better!moreless

One of the best episodes of the show.

By JBentham, Jun 12, 2010

There's nothing I could say about this episode that's even remotely negative.

Everything was perfect. We had everything. Jin wandering around, learning Rousseau's past, new info on the smoker monster, awesome directing, Charlotte dying, Locke leaving the island, etc...

It's just so perfect I've trouble reviewing the episode, since I'm still shaking from excitement. Lost season Five is on it's way being the best season of the show yet, which given how awesome the past seasons been is a huge achievement.

"This Place is Death" delivers on every aspect:

emotional drama,

adventure,

revelations,

twists.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, sit back, because one thing is for sure: the coming episodes will be EVEN better.moreless

Definite best of the new season. Highlight in the whole series.

By LostHero21, Jun 12, 2010

First off, I was never really one for off-island scenes. This Place is Death definitely caught my interest, on and off the island. The islanders are moving back in time variously, Locke is trying to find his way off the island, the 06' are having conflicts getting to the island, although are coming closer and closer to making it to the island. I was never really a Charladay fan myself, as well. This definitely caught my eye, and I'm currently strong supporting Charlotte and Daniel's relationship. Her death made it tremendously stronger. I don't think this is the last we'll see of Charlotte, as long as Daniel can mantain keeping Charlotte from coming to the island. Danielle's flashback sequences were epic. We got to see more of smokey, first of the temple, and how the Danielle's team were killed. 2 from smokey, 3 from Danielle. This strengthened my interest in Danielle, and I'm sure this isn't the last we've seen from her. It just doesn't feel enough. I couldn't have formed a better cast assembly for the on-islanders, and the off-islanders. Jin makes the team ever stonger. Charlotte was an amazing character to add to the on-island team, but I guess Jin was her replacement. Overall, this was an amazing episode, definitely epic, and a defifinite re-watch.moreless

Breathtaking episode!!! Rousseau, Locke, Ben, Sun, Jin, Smokey, Sawyer, Charlotte, Faraday and his Mother.!! Full pack episode with lots of emotion!

By tidus1117, Jun 12, 2010

Wow!! I cant even describe how much i liked this episode it had action, suspense, drama, mysteries and lots of emotions! this episode deserves a 20 out of 10 wojo!!!

We got lots of Rousseau. What was the sickness that she mentioned a while ago, and how they died? We dont see a lot of the O6 but the little we see of them was purely awesome. Come on there almost no time left they must go back!!

We finally see how Locke got of the island. Personally I Loved the scene where Locke dissapear and we see Sawyer emotions collide OMG amazing i kinda felt like he wanted to say something to Locke but he couldn't.!! And we learn that he was the one who was supposed to move the island O.o (not Ben)!

Who is Faraday's mother??? not a suprise but its great how all of our character are reuniting!

but there are some that dont want to come back!!

We also learned more about Charlotte in an unexpected way (very sad part) wow I bet we will see more of her and Faraday! (in the past)

I LOVE LOST!!!

Ben, what are his plans?? Cant wait to see the encounters of Locke and the O6 and Walt? How exactly did he died? How are they going to get back?moreless

Great episode, loads of surprises and action.

By hrgaffney, Jun 12, 2010

This was a fantastic episode, almost faultless. Brilliant writing and acting as well as the effects. It was great to have Danielle's history explained and also a reappearance of the smoke monster - I've not seen it for a while! Jin's really alive and got back with the island group. Locke met up with Christian again whilst trapped down a well. Now we know how he gets off the island. Charlotte dies. Faraday's mother is revealed. The Oceanic 6 are falling apart. Ben is as sneaky as ever. The episode delivered everything you could want from an episode of Lost, and in spades.moreless

The time shifts cause severe harm to the people on the island.

By Writer2000, Jun 12, 2010

Let me just start off by saying that all things considered, I absolutely loved this episode. It is definitely the best episode of season five out of all the episodes that have aired so far, and it is definitely one of the best episodes of the series as a whole at this point. It was packed full of excitement and several major reveals about Charlotte as well as the smoke monster. I am so, so glad that Jin is still alive. However, I am very, very upset by the fact that Charlotte died. Charlotte was such a great character. At least they answered some of the major questions about her past before she died. It's great to see that this episode had a lot progression with the whole story line about the Oceanic Six getting back to the island. It was also great to see Jin reunite with the rest of the people on the island. I thought that the ending of this episode was absolutely fantastic. All in all, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost from everyone involved, and I can't wait to see the next episode of Lost.moreless

Lost stays to amaze me! Totally awesome episode!! SPOILERS!

By JeroenLaporte, Jun 12, 2010

Lost is such an awesome addicting show!!

First we get the backstory of Rousseaux from the eyes of Jin. We now see that the reasearchers from her team are defenately crazy (Rousseaux' boyfrend tried to shoot her)What happened to them!!!???

The on island action is great, the flashes are becoming more and more violent. Charlotte does some interesting relevation before she dies. - She says that in her past Faraday has told her not to come back, because she will die. (Probably in one of the next flashes, they will be in that time zone, and then will Faraday tell this to her)

Locke at the "Frozen donkey wheel" was also awesome. Jack's dad saying "Say hi to my son", was also awesome, because Locke doesn't know that he's Jack's father.

Off the island the oceanic six were almost together, but they split up again.

I was very happy to see that Mrs.Hawking is Faraday's mother and the one who can help them to get back to the island. Interesting character!!moreless

Load More Reviews