Through the Looking Glass (2)

Episode Reviews (221)

Superb

A bloodbath that the survivors won

By Jackman12, Jan 17, 2015

I expected this to be a bloodbath for both sides. I was half right. I was horrified when Ben gave the order to murder the 3 guys. Especially Sayid and Jin. They are awesome. So I was very happy when Hurley saves the day riding in with the hippie van (that was awesome).

That said, Charlie's death was very sad, and also unnecessary. He could have easily escaped. I know he knew he was meant to die, but at least he could have lived a few more days, and maybe have a less revolting death. He definitely deserved to be buried. Guess the ocean took care of that :(.

This was a very good episode. Glad Alex met her mom, and Ben has to suffer.

What the hell, Locke? You don't need to kill someone. When they get rescued couldn't he just stay there? That didn't make any damn sense. Neither did the flash forward with Jack telling Kate they needed to go back?

It pleasures me to say that the survivors beat the assholes 13-1 in the episode. (10 on the beach and 3 in the hatch). And really it could be 13-0 because Charlie's death wasn't by the Others, nor was Naomi's, unless John is one of them now....

moreless

Season Shocker

By Nightrider09, Aug 26, 2011

We start off with Jack leading the Surviors along with Juilet, Karl, Daneil and Naomi Dorret to the radio statio to turn off Daneil's radio transmisson that has been broadcasting for 16 years, once they do that they can broadcast a signal of their own to Naomi's Ship which is near the island. But before they can do that the under water station codename: The Looking Glass, is jamming any signal from leaving the island, so Desmound and Charlie have to shut it down which seemed easy at first, but they were informed that the station was flooded and no one was in their, which turrned out to be false. And finally back on the beach Tom Friendly and four others have Sayid, Jin and Bernard tied up and at gun point, they areintching to shoot them cause their still uppissed at them for tricking them and blowing up most of their team mates.Back to Jack's group; their almost to the station but no one seem's to be in high spirits because their worrid about the three men they left at the beach and the jamming signal has yet to bt turned of. Jack doesn't want to split into group's for fear of falling into an Other trap, but he does let Juilet and Sawyer head back with Hurrly tagging along. Once they get over a big hill they see the evil leader of the Others, Ben their;He wants to talk.

He and Jack take their talk in private. Ben tells Jack that the people on the boat arne't who they say they, they are as he puts it the 'bad guys' and ben tells Jack to givehe theRadio phone so Naomi can never contact her ship. Ben's resoning for this is that he must protect the island and that he is, as he put's it a 'good guy'Now here is what I would have said if I was Jack"Well Ben if your such a good guy then whyhave you kidnapping people, ordering your ownpeople to kill each otherbehind their backs, and why have you been holding my new girlfriend (Juliet) hostage for three years without contact to her family, while you sexually harased her and made her try to save pregnete women who were already byond saving. But Ben if you were a Good guy, I mean a real good guy, they why is it you never invited me or myflight 815 crash buddies to your island sububrs complete with homely features and in door plumbing, if you were a good guy home come you never did that!"Now things don't go well for Jack and Ben so Ben orders Tom to shoot Jin, Sayid andBenard over the walkie, three gun shoots are heared and Jack beats the S**** out of Ben and ties him up. The only reason Jack is keeping him alive is so he can see them get off the island and then he's going to kill Benknowing he failed.

While Ben is not a good guy in my eyes,i have to ammit he isn't all bad since he ordered Tom not to actually shoot the three prisoners but insted to shoot three bullets in the sand. a little while later Hurrly comes to the resue with the DARMAH bus that he,Jin and Sawyer helped fix in episode 'Tricia Tanaka is dead' (which now makes that episode more meaningful), so Hurrly runs over one of the Others, which causes a divergen that allows Juliet and Sawyer to seal theirguns and shoot them, thus saving the day.The funniest and most melow moment in this episode is whenHurrly contacts Jack's group by useingBen's walkie telling them the good news.

I won't go into detail about what happens at the Looking Glass station, other then the jammer was turned off and Charlie died a hero.

Just as Naomi is about to contact her ship Locke throws a knife at herwhich renders her either dead or unconsius. Locke says that they should not contact that ship, that its a mistake and that their here for a reason. Jack and Locke have a faceoff, Best one they've ever had thus far, it end with Jacks victory and the ship is contacted and it is on their way every thing works out in the end.

Or does it? a 'Flashforward' into the futre reveals a druken bearded Jack wanting to go back to the island.This is what as known as an epic season end (and an Ironic end as well)moreless

We've got one last shock for you, and this makes it a whole new ballgame

By DavidB226Morris, Feb 13, 2011

We'll ignore the flashes for now,, and get right back into the drama. The episode begins with the meeting of Jack and Ben. Both men have had major challenges to their leadership this season, and while Jack's is fragile, Ben's has all but run out of gas. His approach seems a bit absurd. He calls Jack out, tells them that Naomi represented a party who has interests that are very detrimental to the island, and demands that Jack give him the satellite phone, or he will order the murders of the men on the beach. This is Jack's biggest confrontation yet, and he faces up to it, even though he's clearly torn. When the shots are fired, he then proceeds to beat Ben until his knuckles are bloody.

What Jack doesn't know is how badly Ben's leadership has deteriorated. Ryan has disobeyed orders and has not killed any of them yet. This leads to one of the most joyous scenes in the episode. Juliet and Sawyer have made it back to the island, but they don't have any weapons. So who saves the day? Hurley, in the Dharma-mobile! Driving the van that he kept working all this time, he runs Ryan down like a video game pedestrian.. In quick succession, Sayid executes the second gunmen, and Tom, the sole survivor has no choice but to surrender. Sawyer then cold-bloodedly shoots him in the chest, showing that he has fallen into the darkness after killing Cooper. He will emerge from it eventually, but it's going to take a lot.

In the Looking Glass, things have reached a climax there. Mikhail clearly doubts Ben's leadership as well, but nevertheless he follows through on the orders, killing Greta, and mortally wounding Bonnie. Before he can finish the job, Desmond emerges and shoots him with a spear-gun. That should be the end of it, but it's not. Charlie then manages to get Bonnie to give him the codes for the transmitter--- and she does so by saying the codes were programmed by a musician. Now we think we know the reason Charlie had to be here. And for a split second, Charlie thinks maybe this has all been a test, and he won't have to die.. Then a transmission comes through--- it's Penelope. But before she can even see her beloved again, she let's a critical piece of information--- she didn't send the boat. Before anything else can be learned, Mikhail emerges like the messiah with a hand grenade, and blows the porthole. The station will soon flood, but when Charlie sees what's coming he doesn't hesitate, and uses his last bit of strength to send Desmond the message. I defy you to watch the scene as poor Charlie's crosses himself before drowning--- it's the most heartbreaking moment of the season.

(On a side note, what has happened to Mikhail? One would think that the hand grenade would have killed him, but one could have made the same assumption of the spear in the chest? Was he immortal? Probably not, as Ben assumes that he could kill him. Whatever the reason, it seems to be another mystery we'll never see resolved as he hasn't reappeared. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if he popped up in the last season.)

We also get a pretty moving reunion as Rousseau finally comes face to face with Alex.. They haven't seen each other for sixteen years, but they clearly have a bond, as their first act is to tie Ben up like a dog. They make it to the radio tower at last, and the message that has been playing for sixteen years and seven months is finally taking off the loop. Naomi then begins to finally receive a transmission, when suddenly she gets a knife in the back--- from Locke. Somehow, the island has told him where the radio tower is, and though he couldn't have known anything about Naomi, he doesn't hesitate in trying to kill her. (She isn't quite dead yet, but that's another story.) He then tells Jack straight up, we're not supposed to leave, which is exactly the message that Ben has been trying to tell Jack. Speaking of which, when Ben sees Locke walking, he looks stunned, as if he finally realizes John may be as important as everyone thinks. Locke holds a gun on Jack, and threatens to kill him, but for some reason, like with his father just a few days earlier, he cannot follow through. Jack makes contact with the freighter, we see signs of joy....

.... and then the episode plays it's little trick. We do one more flash with Jack, who has been degenerated in each one, driving wildly, trying to get a refill on a prescription, and stealing drugs from the hospital pharmacy. What throws us is that Jack mentions his father and speaks as if he's still alive. We still think were in the past, then... Jack calls someone to meet him at the airport. That someone is Kate. And we realize in a moment of shock that this is the future.. Then we learn that every Friday Jack goes flying from LA to the Far East (particularly Australia) each time praying for a crash. The only explanation that comes to mind: he wants to go back to the island. We can't figure out why yet, and Kate is particularly dismissive, but the episode ends on that plea.

To be perfectly honest when I first saw the last couple of minutes of this episode, I thought that the show had just jumped the shark in the biggest way possible. I thought that (like in J.J. Abrams other series Alias) that he was rewriting the rule book and it would take as well. Clearly, I didn't have the confidence in Carlton and Damon that I do now. They've managed to travel from that point to this with alacrity and upping the stake in each succeeding season, and it is still possible than this will be no better placed than I did with Chris Carter and the X-Files. But maybe they knew what they're doing.

Right now, the biggest question is who was at the funeral. The article at the paper Jack got in Part One was clearly an obituary. In the opening of the second part, Jack went to the funeral home to find nobody there, and the casket was closed. Asked if he was friend or family, he clearly says: "Neither." When he tells Kate about it, she regards it with even more disdain, leading us to believe that it was someone we've already met on the plane that they both knew. I didn't try to freeze frame the shots with the paper, so I didn't get caught p with those people who try to squeeze every single detail out of each episode, so I didn't try to answer the question. At the time I thought it was Christian Shephard, later that it was Sawyer. Everyone now knows who was in the coffin, but I'll save the surprise--- especially since I'm still not convinced that someone is dead yet.

Even knowing some of the twists and turns that are ahead doesn't change the fact that this episode is an extraordinary ending, mostly because of the remarkable acting of Matthew Fox. He runs the complete gamut of emotions in this episode, and in retrospect, his scenes in the flash forwards are astonishing acting. He looks angry and disdainful, pathetic and wrathful, and the episodes last five minutes, goes from his point of greatest elation --- the eminent rescue--- to the shell he seems to be when Kate meets with him. Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson get the lion's share of the acclaim, but Fox is clearly at their level, and this episode proves it.

Equally remarkable is the work of Jorge Garcia. Hurley has been feeling useless, but now he emerges as the most unlikely of heroes, up to the point of bragging that he has taken out the Others on the beach. The sad part is, this may be the best moment of Hugo's life, and in a matter of minutes (relatively speaking) he will be struck back to zero

By the end of 'Through the Looking Glass' Ben is warning them that if this call, it will be the beginning of the end. And this episode is considering that the structure that exists. But one question has been answered--- rescue will come to the passengers of Oceanic 815. However, they probably won't be able to escape the island.

My score: 10moreless

Season finale,end of lost

By Porradocaralho2, Jan 22, 2011

I can't lie,lost was my favorite show ever,i used to watch everyday,everynight,the characters were awesome,the plots,the misterys,the dialogues,the deaths,the twists,everything.

Now this season finale ends lost for me,because after this episode lost turns a unreal,cliche,random,forced and weak show,there is no sense anymore,the misterys are just like "because i'm dead,because he is my son,because i'm gonna kill jacob,because i can fly"Where the hell is claire?Some kind of demon just sucked up her soul??!What's with leaving sun alive and killing daniel?She sucks ass!And what's with the death fetish?ALL CHARACTERS I LOVED ARE DEAD!This is a very lame way to destroy a very good show =/moreless

It's been three years since this episode aired and I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor.

By JasonGOrtiz, Dec 25, 2010

Like Allen Iverson, Lost's writers are the kings of making you feel certain that they're going one way and in a flash go in the complete opposite direction, leaving you dead in your tracks with nary an option but to just sit and marvel at the level of creative trickery in their employ. It's been three years since this episode aired and I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor. By the final episodes of Lost's third season it was becoming fairly easy to predict what any given episode had in store: the unexpected. We all knew that the season finale would answer a few questions, raise even more and brilliantly leave us in anticipation of the next season. But just like watching the launch of a space shuttle, that awe-inspiring spectacle of man's ingenuity, the more times you see it, the less powerful it becomes. You still know it's a beautiful sight and recognize the amount of time and energy that went into it's creation, but the awe and wonder of that first viewing have started to fade. So how to dazzle an audience already desensitized by so many great plot twists? Hit them with something so unexpected that it makes them feel like they're watching it for the first time... again!

And so, in what will go down as arguably the best cliffhanger in television history, those geniuses at the writer's table penned those famous final words that will be forever etched in my mind: "We have to go back, Kate. We Have To Go Back!!!" It was with those words that my jaw and my living room floor became good friends for the next few days... months... hell, I still haven't gotten over this one! There are very few occasions when something leaves me virtually speechless and in those rarest of moments I'm reduced to a decidedly ineloquent (some might even say vulgar) three word phrase. It's usually reserved for major events in my life that come out of nowhere and strike me with enough emotion that I just simply can't think of anything else to say. This may be the only time that a television show has elicited such a reaction. Indeed, just seconds after Jack reveals that what we have been watching are in fact flash-forwards to the present, I heard myself utter those three words that always signal the screeching halt of my brain functions: "Holy... sh*t... dude..."moreless

Is there a flashFORWARD option?

By thefanof, Dec 05, 2010

Because there should be.

Lost brought the concept of flashbacks back into prominence on TV prompting shows like the failed Reunion and Heroes to mock their format. Just when you thought they couldn't be anymore innovative they unveil the flashforward concept.

They're finally off the island and we had the 7 months to ponder just what is going on. While people liked the revived creativity in Season 4 I felt like it was a letdown set by this strong episode, but this two part finale sure did have its strong points. A great Desmond/Charlie storyline and Ben being beaten senseless.

Just a truly great two hours.moreless

I am really glad that most fans have voted this the best episode because so have I up until now (Season 6 Ep 11)

By harithalam, Jun 14, 2010

This episode was simply breathtaking, particularly the ending which was a cliffhanger which simply pushed you physically over a cliff! No doubt the best episode to date - just perfect. I am glad that Ab Aeterno is second as I had it down as second too. It is a different kind of episode focusing on 1 character only rather than including virtually all characters as Through The Looking Glass Does. Both episodes are nigh on perfect - from the writing, to the directing to the acting - they deliver on all fronts - I could watch them over and over again - they are that goodmoreless

caters to law & order fans. (i do have to say that every island-based-scene was superb)

By QE-Zodak, May 19, 2010

what was once a show about damaged people coping with extraordinary circumstances & finding redemption on an island for their shady past has now become a show about filling in the blanks. it's a totally different show now. instead of the usual flashback, in this season's finale we got the flashforward which gave us the end of the entire series. :o what's the point of watching now? the entire nature of the show has changed. unless they tell us that the flashfowards belonged to desmond, we know that many of them do leave the island, but more importantly, that it is wrong for them to leave the island. the hero of the show ends up a depressed suicidal mess & he does not get the girl. thanks to all the complaints from the simple minded viewers who expect everything to be spoon-fed to them with a thunk-thunk sound, the show gave us this horrible attempt at "giving us answers" which instead gave us 1 too many. the ultimate goal of getting off the island has been resolved. from now on, any episode that deals with island mysteries will appear to be filler unless it furthers the sequence of events that get them off the island. we know how many episodes until the show ends so all suspense is gone. it was a terrible idea to placate morons who don't understand a show about people. "through the looking glass" makes me angry to this day! hopefully they will find a way to negate those flashes of jack in his beard. if they don't, the show doesn't even need to be watched anymore, because we know how it ends.moreless

In part 2 of LOST's third season finale Charlie dies, Locke 'has work to do', Jack and kate 'have to go back' and oh yeah ... Sayid snaps a guys neck with his legs.

By Tom_h09, May 17, 2010

After watching almost 5 seasons of LOST this remains the greatest episode the show has produced. After part 1 of the two hour show we were left with Locke in a pit being told he had 'work to do' by what seemed a two foot bigger Walt, it turned out that his work was to throw a knife in Naomi from the freighters back in attempt to stop Jack from leaving the island. For some reason Locke thought that tossing a dagger into an unarmed womens back would convince Jack that he was completley sane. Naomi was only one of the three prominent deaths that occured in the show (I won't count the people who Hurley mowed down in VW van as prominent)as Tom (aka 'guy with the fake beard') and Charlie met their match. Tom's was a bullet in the chest, while Charlie just managed to write 'not penny's boat' on his hand before drowning. We all know who the boat belonged to now but at the time it left us asking a lot of questions about what the hell Naomi was actually doing (Jack could have asked her but Locke didn't exactly give him chance). If that wasn't enough we got a look in Jacks life off the island as he became addicted to pain killers, tried to top himslef and visited Hoffs/Drawler funeral parlour after reading something very upsetting in the obituary part of a newspaper. All of this culminated in Jack finally making the phone call that rescued the ocenaic 815 survivors only for us to find that life in the real world wasn't all it's cracked up to be, when in one of the greatest twists I've ever seen on TV revealed that Jack's flash backs were in fact flash forwards and he and kate 'had to go back'.moreless

Load More Reviews