What Kate Did

Episode Reviews (105)

Superb

Awesome.

By Sarah_LOST, Oct 12, 2010

Kate tends to a wounded Sawyer as Shannon's funeral takes place, which Ana Lucia refuses to attend. As Locke and Mr. Eko are warned not to use the hatch's computer for communication, Michael uses the computer to communicate with someone that he thinks is Walt. Flashbacks reveal Kate's original crime, the murder of her father. I love the start of this episode. Ilove the scene where Sawyer tells Jack thats he loves Kate. I love Kate's back story it is always awesome and very entertaining. Oh my god, I love the scene where Jack and Kate kiss, I love them but then I love Sawyer and Kate too. I love the Hurley and Jacks scenes where Hurley talks about Rose and her husband - so funny. I love Kate and Sawyers scenes too I love the way the horse is with them. Oh and the ending is awesome. Oh and the scene where Michael on the computer talking to somebody who he believes it's Walt - awesome storyline.moreless

Escalofríos

By napen, Sep 30, 2010

La verdad lo que haya hecho Kate con su vida no me interesa demasiado, ya sabemos que es una descocada y que hizo de las suyas. Lo que me importa y me deja sin aliento es esa biblia, es John/Jesus, es Mr. Eko y su determinación, es esa computadora infernal y el "hellow" del otro lado. Es Matt, son los fantasmas y transmutaciones y recuerdos y Dharmas y filmaciones.

Me puse a pensar si los nombres de algunos de los protagonistas se corresponden con los apóstoles, pero no los busqué. Esto está cada vez mejor. Leí el Salmo 23 y la verdad si lo que creo que va a pasar pasa...moreless

Turns out what she did was is only half the story, alogn with another piece of the puzzle

By DavidB226Morris, Sep 30, 2010

One of the things the passengers of Flight 815 is that they all seemed to have parents whose lives were an added burden to them. Locke's father was a con man; Jack's was a drunk; Sun's father is a criminal; Sawyer's mothers affair ended in tragedy. This season we've seen how Shannon's stepmother and Ana Lucia's mothers coldness severely damaged them as people. But now it seems that the person with the most damaged parents is Kate, which led her to finally commit the crime that led to her original arrest. And based on that, hers may have been the most damaged of all.

Kate's mother was a battered woman, abused and beaten down from the man Kate thought was her stepfather. There are also suggestions of molestation. Kate finally kills him in an effort to bring some peace to her mother. And what does Diane, her mother do? She calls the cops the minute her daughter tells her what she's done. Worse, Kate has learned that the man she thought was her father --- Sgt. Sam Austen (we'll be seeing him again soon--- wasn't her father; the drunken abusive stepdad was, and though he wanted to kill him, he didn't have murder in his heart.

All of this is revealed in a series of revelations that come about when Kate sees a black horse on the island. And based on what we see, that horse is the same one that helped her become a fugitive for the first time. The question is, how did the horse get here? If it is the same horse (and given the ghosts that Jack, Sawyer and Sayid have seen, I'm not prepared to rule it out) is it here to symbolize Kate's guilt or to help her make peace with what she's done? The fact that Sawyer sees it himself at the end of the episode doesn't make the question meaningless. After all, maybe its a symbol for him too.

More important is the ghost of Wayne, who seems to be speaking through Sawyer, and tries to choke her early on. Kate reveals every time that she sees Sawyer, she is reminded of the man she hates, and it disgusts her. But it's clear that she's still drawn to him. It's significant that Kate kisses Jack for the first time, and them immediately walks away--- she doesn't think she's worthy of him, even though Jack is as conflicted as she is.

While the episode largely focuses on, well, 'What Kate Did', we do see quite a bit of some other character, and a lot of time in the hatch. Michael is getting his second look at this place (he really just passed through in 'Collision') and being an architect, he notices the blast doors that are supposed to lower if there's some kind of explosion. Locke brushes off their significance, but they will turn out to be a vital part of his time in the hatch, though we don't know it yet.

Far more interesting is a conversation between Eko and Locke, which is one of the highpoints of the season so far. Eko gives his longest speech so far on the show--- the parable of Josiah from the bible, and hsi discovery of the Old Testament. It is a lofty telling, and does engaging, especially when he hands Locke a bible, which Locke opens and finds another segment of the orientation film that we saw near the beginning of the season.

The scene is significant not so much because of any new knowledge that we gain (its actually a bit anticlimactic) but because it demonstrates the real difference between these two men of faith. At one point, Eko asks Locke if he knows the story, and Locke says he doesn't. This is a man who can recite the most obscure anecdotes about history and nature, but doesn't know a thing about a passage from the bible. He has faith, but it is not religious. Eko's would seem to be the more holy of the two, but look what happens while they are splicing the film together when Locke raises the issue of what has happened. "Do not mistake coincidence for fate," he answers. We don't know what motivates Eko (we're going to find out very soon, however) but he may not believe some of the gospel that he preaches--- at least not yet.

On the beach, Sun and Jin are having a joyous reunion, but Sayid is dully picking up the remnants of his life as he buries Shannon. He is haunted by her, and will be in mourning for the next few episodes. One can't help but feel for him--- after all, Sayid has done an awful lot to help the survivors, and he hasn't gotten much in the way of thanks.. Both Jack and Locke look to him for advice on certain things, but they have a habit of ignoring his advice when it suits them. When people moved from the beach to the caves, it was a blow against the majority, but eventually everybody seemed to move there (now they're back on the beach, but it's not because of anything Sayid has done ) Charlie has made an effort to help Sayid, but mostly he just gets in his way, when Hurley learned which side he fought for in the Gulf War, he recoiled liked the man smelled bad and even though Michael got a lot of help from him building the raft, he didn't offer him passage off, which would've seemed at least partly fair. Sayid is outsider, and he's feel it, though it will take another outsider to make him realize his place.

The most shocking part of the episode occurs in the last minute, when Michael, doing exactly what Eko and Locke are being warned against doing in the next room, finds out that his son may still be alive. Michael doesn't stop to think for a minute whether he's being played, he just keeps steamrolling ahead, as he always does with Walt, and because off that attitude, his actions will bring even more hardship to everyone else.

'What Kate Did' is all about ghosts, both real and imagined Everyone may have wanted a blank slate, but their ghosts have followed them here (though only sometimes in corporeal form). Kate thinks she's exorcised part of her demons, but she hasn't. And even when she gets rid of the ones she brought, new ones will come to replace them very fast.

My Score:8.8moreless

Great Scenes There!!!

By Dante_Edy, Sep 30, 2010

Until Now:

Season 1 was Impressive. There was impressive drama, Strange things on the Island, too much mysteries and the fact that this show concept was entirely new.

Season 2 problem is that we already know the show formula, there are super fan and there are normal fans, like me that want some quality time with this show.

Until now, we know what is inside the hatch and what is function is supposed to be. Shannon is dead, some people from the tailplane section survived and are now with our survivors. Jin, Sawyer and Michael are Ok. We know what Kate did. And there are other on this Island.

Is this good? Of course, but is not superb anymore.

There are some episodes there will be superb, but one of the things with this season 2 episodes is that the producers are making things slowly.

From the Writers/Producers Perspective:

They decided to finally reveal what Kate did. It make sense kept us in the dark, but we already know that she killed a man. This episodes provide us with the actual images. Not only that, since Lost will not air to the next weeks, the Hatch mystery is growing. This was a smart move, mainly because Michael is using the computer to make outside connections.

This is interesting, and of course, the writers fill the entire episode with Kate drama. There are some characters that showed their faces too, but just to appear only.

Put Locke and Eko in interactions was one of the good ideas that the writers had.

My Point of View:

This episode began with a bang, very impressive. Kate flashbacks was interesting this time. Even the last scene as some information.

Others characters participation was not important, not as Locke and mr. Eko interaction, that was another great thing that this episode delivered.

The cliffhanger in the end, maintain things more interesting , until Lost returns.

Overall, some great scenes in the Island and from the flashbacks make this episode at least great.moreless

The long awaited episode.

By PabloExobar, Jul 15, 2008

I thought the 2 previous Kate episodes were horrible. But this one finally reveals her big crime, right at the beginning, and oh boy it was superb! I didn't see it coming, and it all suddenly made sense. For the most...

her flashback was really enjoyable, and emotional. I have to give it to the writers. They wrote Kate's mother's character really well. Her reaction to what Kate did was very realistic. The island story had a nice duality to it. Kate's struggle with Sawyer and Jack(or between them...) and Locke/Eko getting to know eachother. The Kate storyline was okay. Not the most exciting, but I thought Sawyer being posessed by the man Kate killed was a good idea, and was very similiar to what Sawyer went through in S1 with the boar. Clever. But sometimes it felt dragged out, and her randomly kissing Jack was kind of there to please the shippers in my opinion, because it just didn't seem to serve any purpose :/

But as far as Locke and Eko goes. Brilliant. I loved their interactions, they seem to speak the same language. Eko gives John an "extended" cut of the orientation video which reveals that the computer is not allowed to be used for anything else other than pushign the button. And right at that moment, Michael hears a beep. Someone is sending him a message on the computer. "Dad?"

Cut to black.

What a cliffhanger. I didn't see that one coming at all. Is it really Walt on the other end? Or is it the others?moreless

This was the episode that revealed Kate's original crime, the mysterious Black Horse, Kate and Jack's kiss, the missing Orientation film segments and a message from Walt (??). And yet with all that this episode is rather dull and boring.

By martync7, May 23, 2008

The opening teaser is amazing: Jin and Sun have a shippy moment, Sawyer tells Jack he loves Kate, Kate sees a mysterious Black Horse in the Jungle and we see what Kate's original crime was, which includes a house exploding.

But then the episode seems to lounge back into a very intense character plotline with added mysteries, which don't really add that much.

If Locke's flashback episodes are my favourite, then Kate's may be my least favourite. Remember "Whatever the Case May be" was a Kate episode. Thankfully, as dull as "What Kate Did" is, it is not as pointless as the former one. As essential as it was to kow what Kate did to force her on the run, the reveal is a bit disapointing. The actual crime of blowing up the house is visually impressive in the teaser, but the reasons for the crime don't make too much sense. This episode gives us little to make her crime justifiable. Wayne may have grabbed Kate's arm in the teaser but this seemed quite harmless to what could have happened. We could have seen him hurt Kate more, even to the extent of beating her like he supposedly beat up her Mother. Unlike Sawyer, we don't see any reason why Kate should have killed Wayne, other than to protect her mother.

Sawyer has a far more meaningful and justifiable reason to kill the original Sawyer: he had to listen to and live with the murder of his poor mother. Thus, Kate's story of how she used to lay in bed listening to Wayne beat up her mother beat her up pales in comparison.

So this aspect of Kate's story I found rather disappointing.

Another disappointing aspect was that the missing pieces of the Orientation film that Eko disovers in the Bible were hardly revelatory (pun intended). It was only meant to set up the final scene but it could have done that and revealed even more about the Swan Station and the "Incident" which we still don't know anything about.

The final moment of the episode where Michael seemingly communicates with Walt, as well as the scene where Eko reveals the extended Orientation film to Locke are the highlights past the teaser. Other than that this episode is rather lacklustre. It is rather slow and uninteresting at times. The scope of the series may be returning but this is a slow introduction to this stage of the season. Shippers will be thrilled by the Jack and Kate kiss but it is not why I watch the show. I agree that it is a nice aspect of the show but it is not the reason I watch the show. Most of the episode is "all talk and no action". For the first time since the "Crappy Case" episode from Season One, I found myself half-watching the episode, doing something else at the same time, which tells me that this episode failed to keep my attention.

There were some reasonable moments but these had nothing to do with the Jack/Sawyer/Kate love triangle. So far in Season 2 there hasn't been too much to shout about/. There have been two outstanding episodes: "Man of Science, Man of Faith" and "Orientation". Other notable episodes have been "Everybody Hates Hugo" and "The Other 48 Days". The remaining 5 episodes have all been rather disappointing. It is interesting that even Shannon's murder has, thus far, not caused many sparks, among the two camps, and if this episode is anything to go by, we may not see any sparks at all, which is another major disappointment. What will it take for the momentum to return? I wait with anticipation.....moreless

Superb episode. The best of the show is now here

By j19000, May 22, 2008

This episode in my opinion, was clearly the part where we all know the best of the series is finally here. I mean, everyone is back together in one group living on the beach, the survivors are happy, except for Shannon's death, and John Locke and Eko finally found some more news dealing with the hatch. The future of this project, sure is in their hands lol. Desmond is gone, as Michael asked. Now, it was great and very ideal to see a flashback on Kate. It has been quite a while. Her whole original crime being revealed was revealing, and interesting.

As for Ana-Lucia, I like her. I think her evil doing times are truly over. She's a much nicer person at the moment, she was innocent over Shannon's death, so there is no reason why to hate her.

FYI, Kate's whole experience with the black horse and Sawyer acting like a Wayne, was very interesting, and it builds on to some of the islands secrets. The best scenes of this episode were Eko, John and Michael trying to solve the missing pieces of the missing pieces of the Dharma clips. The final scene, showing Michael at the computer and in which we all guess that Walt is really the guy who was talking to him, I was shocked. Truthfully, I know that is not Walt, no kid could type that fast unless he was some braniac. I reckon this could be disastrous, if Michael continues chatting, which he will of course.

Overall, a very superb episode and it showed me that the best of LOST has finally arrived. Very good week of Lost.moreless

A Kate-centric episode.

By Writer2000, May 16, 2008

As a whole, I would have to say that I really liked this episode an awful lot. The flashbacks in this episode of Kate's life before the plane crashed on the island were great. I really liked the scene with Shannon's funeral. In my opinion, the speech that Sayid gave at the funeral was very well written. Naveen Andrews (Sayid) did a great job of giving that speech. I also really liked the whole storyline involving the hatch. I thought that storyline was very interesting. All things considered, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost from everyone who was involved in the making of this episode, and I'm looking forward to continuing to watch my Lost: Season Two DVD set.moreless

Kate: (to her mother after she blew up the house) Well your bed's gone, Ma.

By efc91, May 05, 2008

Kate tends to a wounded Sawyer and sees her father, and later, a horse. As Locke and Mr. Eko are warned not to use the hatch's computer for communication, Michael uses the computer to communicate with Walt. Flashbacks show that Kate destroyed her house with dynamite and consequently murdered her father. Finnaly we see what Kate first did, this was a long awaited episode for me ever since we found out that Kate was a fugitive early last season I have wanted to know how she got there and I really enjoyed the opening scene of this episode where she kills her stepfather, it was so cool.moreless

Load More Reviews