Whatever the Case May Be

Episode Reviews (43)

Disspointing to say the least...

By Jacob316, Feb 13, 2011

Jack, Kate and Sawyer fight over possession of a newly discovered locked metal briefcase which might contain insights into Kate's mysterious past. Meanwhile, Sayid asks a reluctant Shannon to translate notes he took from the French woman. A rising tide threatens to engulf the fuselage and the entire beach encampment, and Rose and a grieving Charlie tentatively bond over Claire's baffling kidnapping. This is the perfect example of a filler episode, The shows previous episode was so fast paced and the ending was so exciting but in this episode was slow, it didn't continue any of the storylines in the previous episode including Boone and Lockes. A pointless episode.moreless

Really bad episode for Lost.

By ffhc2000, Dec 01, 2010

This episode was still better than a lot of stuff on TV, but by Lost's standards, it was scraping the bottom of the barrel.

-Loved the hot shots of Shannon. Gratuitous, but I loved it.

-The flashbacks except for the ending one were in fact mildly interesting.

-I did like Sun's reaction to Kate and Jack talking about the guns.

-Did love Rose and her prayer. Very nicely done.

-I did like Jack finally seeing Kate for the ***** that she really is.

-It was disturbing how nobody seemed to care where Claire was. Not even Charlie. Very disappointing.

-Idiotic bank robbery plan though if you think about it. One of those TV-only things.

-Not much really happened.

-I hate Kate and her episodes anyway.

-Didn't care about all of that Haliburton stuff between Sawyer and Kate.

-The whole episode was just shockingly contrived for this show.

-Oh God, I hated the stupid plane thing with Kate.

-Oh God, Shannon singing. So weird.

So dear writers of Lost, please kill Kate off. We don't care about her. Maybe if you had picked a good actress, we might have, but....nah, on second thought, I don't give a crap about Charlie despite the fact that Dominic Monaghan rocks.moreless

A good look into Kate's past.

By CTU81, Dec 01, 2010

I was really glad to see this episode go into Kate's past more. She has been very mysterious so far because we know she did something to get arrested but we don't know what it is. Almost every episode has brought up her past but we are always left with more questions than answers.

The flashbacks to the bank robbery were very entertaining and helped establish more background of the character. I thoroughly enjoyed these parts of the episode.

At first I didn't think I would like the whole flashback aspect of Lost. However, it has surprised me. More times than not, I am looking forward to flashbacks. It a very ingenious approach since just about all of these characters has something to hide from their past.

By Sarah_LOST, Oct 12, 2010

While swimming, Kate finds the marshal's locked case. Jack agrees to help Kate open the case if she will show him what is inside it. There are guns inside and a toy airplane. Kate says the airplane belonged to the man she loved-and killed. In a flashback, Kate robs a bank so that she can recover the toy airplane. So Locke and Boone find the hatch - which is awesome. Kate and Sawyer swim and find a suitcase which they both want - so funny what they do to get it. I feel sorry for Charlies, when he cried, I cried - it's because I love this man. I love kate's back story in this episode - she is awesome. I also love Sayid and Shannon scenes. New camp - got to love it.moreless

And Murder, and Robbery and Naked Diving… Oh My!

By Rufam, Apr 18, 2010

Kate and Sawyer discover a case. Afterwards, nothing happens. -

This is a filler episode, where nothing really happens. Jack, Sawyer and Kate fight over a case which turns out to belong to the dead Marshall... and what's the extremely precious thing inside? A toy plane. Which is so KATE. The flashbacks are kinda interesting though, with Kate's backstory becoming even more confusing, along with her confession on the Island about the man she loved... and killed. Nevertheless, I am not really interested to find out more about her past, because I am tolerant enough with watching her adventures in the present. Anyhow, it is surprisingly NOT a terrible episode, but quite a decent one. Despite being static and unspectacular, it is quite watchable and fun. Weird, huh?moreless

Too Much Fillers Scenes

By Dante_Edy, Jun 16, 2009

Its pretty simple, the writers wanted to delay locke and claire situation, was a little strange because the people in the island had forgotten what happened with claire, or it seems that way, only charlie has good memory.

Kate presente situation and her flashbacks had a connection, but it seems more like a filler, just to delay what is really important. Her flashbacks was quite entertaining , but doing an assault in a bank, to only take off an airplane (a toy) seems sufficiently ridicule and almost took off all the value that the episode could had.

The flashbacks doesn´t even explain why this airplane was important to her, it seems the only objective was to gain time, since an assault in a bank does not fit Kate personality very weel (a fugitive vs a criminal).

Some scenes between her and sawyer plus jack was interesting.

Sayid suddenly hooking up with Shannon doesn´t deserve a opinion yet.moreless

In this case, it isn't worth very much

By DavidB226Morris, Feb 01, 2009

Up until this point, Lost has been running on all cylinders, with barely any room for slowdowns or expositions. The characters have been focused more on trying to figure out the mysteries of the island as well as surviving. However, this episode seems to be bogged down, and doesn't do much of either. It tries to be little more than a character piece, but the way it does it--- well, kind of sexist and clichéd.

It begins with a rare moment of peace for--- well, anybody. Kate is wandering through the jungle to be followed by Sawyer. The two then find this oasis like waterfall, and spend a few minutes frolicking through the water. I'm not sure whether this was meant to titillate viewers (of either gender) but it seemed silly. There's a dangerous monster in the jungle, there are some evil people who just a few days ago kidnapped one castaway and brutally attacked another, and now we have two people going swimming like refugees from Friday the 13th. An attack does come from below, but it's more psychological than physical--- a section of plane and passengers are floating. Sawyer, naturally, goes looting, which is only mitigated by the fact there's something in there Kate wants--- a metal suitcase. Naturally, Sawyer holds onto it, but is understandably deterred when he can't open the thing. Kate then goes to Jack, and tells him that it is the marshal's case, containing 4 9mm's and some ammo. Again, this is obviously not why Kate wants it, but in order to get to why (sort of) we go by way of Australia (pun definitely intended)

This time the flashback connection to what is going on seems even more obscure. Using a false name, Kate helps three robbers organize and pull off a bank job, only when it comes time to start hurting people, Kate double crosses them and ends up shooting her accomplices. What she wanted was in a safe deposit box, and turns out to be a model plane that Kate finally says belongs to the man she killed, thus indicating the robbery took place while Kate was already a fugitive.

Now all of this is interesting after a fashion, but what exactly did we get out of it, besides illustrating the natures of the relationships Kate has with Sawyer and Jack? With Sawyer, there is clearly a kind of flirtatious, sensual tug of war, but we can tell, aside from having his idea of fun, Sawyer doesn't really care what Kate's trying. Jack, however, seems to care very deeply, and the more Kate tries to ask for help, the more he decides to make Kate suffer. What's hard to figure out is why. Is he still pissed because he thinks that Kate's been lying to him from the beginning? Newsflash, Jack, so have you. Kate's been willing to be honest, at least to a point, but every time she asks for a bit of give from Jack, it's like pulling teeth. And for someone who supposedly didn't want to be a leader, he seems to be getting a perverse amount of pleasure making Kate come to him for help.

The other stories that are going on are not much more encouraging, mainly because even though Claire has been missing for so long, nobody seems to be looking for her. Locke and Boone are still digging whatever they found in the last episode, Kate's obsessed with the case, and everyone seems more concerned with getting their luggage out of the fuselage before the tides come and take it away. Only Sayed seems to be at least trying something that might help, and even that's a remote way. He is now trying to translate the various documents that he took from Rousseau's camp about a week ago in order to see if there's some kind of map that can be used. However, he goes to Shannon, something which makes even less sense than before. Granted, she knew enough French to translate Rousseau's message in the Pilot, but here she seems to be having trouble not justifying Boone's remark that she is useless. It's also pretty clear that Sayid and Shannon are doing the opening steps of some kind of relationship dance, but unlike the one that we saw between Claire and Charlie, or Kate and Sawyer, it's hard to see what Sayid, an intelligent, brooding, serious man can see in someone as vapid and unpleasant a character as Shannon would appear to be. (There are some layers to her, but they won't be revealed until it's too late for the show to do something about it.)

The only story that's given any dimension is that between Charlie and Rose, who reappears to try and help jar him out of his depression and zombie-like behavior. Like him, Rose is concerned about the loss of her husband, but she has not given into despair. Much like Charlie did long ago, Rose is sustained by her faith that her husband is still alive, and it is that which manages to get the depressed rock star functioning again, though he's not going to recover until there is some sign of Claire's fate.

'Whatever the Case May Be' is the first episode that seems really log jammed and does give us either information on the survivors or the mysteries. Even what little we seem to learn about Kate doesn't seem like it's going to be worth that much in the long run. And considering all the mysteries that were set up by the last episode, it is very frustrating that we get no forward movement on any of them. (This has happened before, of course, but the characters at least seemed more concerned by what's going on.) The only thing that changes is that there are now several loaded guns on the island. As Chekhov wrote, if a gun appears in Act One of play, it has to be fired by Act Three. Problems is, for a deserted island, there are a lot of guns here--- far more than we think actually--- and in television, act three can take place a whole season after Act One. There are some interesting ideas, but neither the cast or the writers seem up to the challenge this time. The only thing that did seem bizarre was that the safety deposit box that originally had the plane was number 815, but the episode doesn't even pause to consider that. Which makes sense, because nothing else it given appropriate time either.moreless

Algo de que aferrarse

By napen, Sep 05, 2008

Lo único que me quedó de vos fue ese recuerdo, además de la cadenita que pende de mi cuello. Esa noche bajo la infinitud de estrellas que nos guiaba hacia el fondo de nuestro ser, hacia nuestras almas. Y nuestros ojos leyeron nuestros corazones, y nos tomamos las manos y nos reímos del agua turbia de aquel estanque a tu lado. Me dijiste algo en no se qué idioma que entendí como un "quiero pasar cada segundo de mi vida hasta que me muera así con vos" y me besaste el ser todo.

Ahora ni siquiera se donde estás, ni me acuerdo tu nombre, ni puedo imaginarme quién te estará acariciando el alma.moreless

We have the competitiveness of Kate and Sawyer regarding the opening of a case/ ownership, jack getting called into help, Boone and Locke spending their days in the jungle "finding claire" and the others just plodding along with their survival/existence.

By captainbritain, Jun 19, 2008

I havent seen one razor or bar of soap, yet the bikini / brazalian lines are amazing, not bad for month 2 i think it's supposed to be now.

The episode starts off with Kate up a tree collecting fruit, when down on the floor, she hears a noise, then a larger one, she throws a rock in the direction of the sound only to hit Sawyer in the knee. They continue to walk when they hear more sounds, this time they follow it they find a waterfall and a small lagoon, then swimming in it, then spot a twin chair from the plane complete with bodies and a suitcase. She insists it's hers but when he says he's taking it - she walks off.

The flashback is from Kate, this time she is in a bank, talking to a loans person inside a bank, when it then gets robbed by 3 or 4 people wearing ski masks.

Boone takes the fire axe from the camp to Locke at the place where they found the steel in the ground.

Sawyer keeps the case with him at all times, Kate tries to get it from him when he's asleep, she doesn't get it fully as it was a ruse. Later he gets told by some others that there is no way that he'll be able to pick the lock, he'll need to hit it with some major force in order to get it opened. So he sets about to try to force the lock, only to have Kate run off with the case.

Sayid enrolls Shannon into translating the documents that he took from Rousseux, more importantly the notes besides the mathematical equations, she says that her french suxs, but thats better than not having any translation, there work seems to be in vain, as the translations just seem to be nonsense phrases, nothing associated with maths equations.

Rose manages to get charlie out of his stuppour by getting him to help the rest of them with the moving of the beach camp further up the beach, as the strange tides are washing out the belongings. Later charlie breaks down, cries and rose says a prayer for him.

Jack and Kate end up diggin up the Marshall in order to get access to the key in his wallet, which opens the case. Jack has to ask Sawyer for the case, manages to blag it with telling him about his arm and if the medicine stops eventually he will sacrifice the case for help, otherwise his arm will need amputating. He doesn't buy into it, but can't risk it either.

When the case is opened, there is all the belongings that Kate mentioned, the guns, ammo, money and her effects. The flashback of her being in the bank reveals that she was the instigator, then we discover it was all a set up in order for her to gain access to a safety deposit box, box number 815 - same as the flight, we discover that the only thing in there was an envelope was an oceanic airplane model !!! I think it was.

Shannon finds Sayid by the camp fire and explains that all the notes were duplicates of a french song for children, that perhaps she may not be in the right frame of mind when they were written. She sings the song in french at the episode closing, proving that the actress can do more than just sunbath!moreless

Load More Reviews