White Rabbit

Episode Reviews (60)

Superb

By Canogaparkcindy, Mar 17, 2011

A lot of development on tonight's episode of Lost, with the pilot being Jack-centric, it really surprised me that there was already another episode focused on him only five episodes, but surely, I am glad that they did have an episode like this one.

We know why he was traveling from Sydney, and also, I noticed an ongoing theme that keeps on coming back from time to time: "Everything happens for a reason." The drowning at the beginning was chilling, even more chilling, since the lady wasn't even meant to be on that flight.

Anyways we discover a lot of things about Jack and his father and I loved the comparison with the white rabbit from Alice and Wonderland, very clever, I liked it. The group going against each other for water was also entertaining. This show has not made an error yet, I'll tell you that much.moreless

Awesome.

By Sarah_LOST, Oct 12, 2010

Boone steals the decreasing water supply in a misguided attempt to help everyone, but the survivors turn on him. A sleep-deprived Jack chases after what appears to be his deceased father in the forests and eventually discovers caves with fresh water. Jack comes to terms with his role as leader. In flashbacks, Jack goes to Australia to retrieve his deceased father. I love the start if this episode, little Jack reminds me of somebody I know, I love the flashbacks there amazing in the show, really clever. So somebody is drowning, I love it well, the scene anyway. I'm glad Jack saves Boone, I love him. Oh and I love the way Sawyer is so sneaky and has his nicknames.moreless

Our first real look at the center of the show

By DavidB226Morris, Aug 26, 2010

Because of his skills, everyone has been looking at Jack as if he were the leader, and it's pretty clear that is a role he can manage, but doesn't want to accept. At its core, 'White Rabbit' is the episode where Jack finally gives into the inevitable, and takes the role of leader. Of course, since this is Lost, there's a lot more to it.

Jack has been burning the candle at both ends since the plane crash (and, as we find out in this episode, for quite some time before that) and now it begins to take its toll. In the opening sequence, one of the survivors goes swimming, and Boone, the lifeguard, tries to save her, but nearly drowns himself. Jack dives in, pulls him back to shore, then goes back--- but it's too late. Jack takes this very personally, even though he didn't know this woman at all. Scarcely has he begun to deal with this problem, when another crisis emerges--- the water supply is starting to run low. Everyone's looking to Jack, and then things get worse--- he sees the man in the suit in the woods. Only it's not just a man in a suit--- it's his father.

Jack obviously doubts his sanity, but nevertheless goes chasing after the phantom. But he becomes so obsessed that he ends up chasing it over a cliff, which would have killed him--- if not for the appearance of Locke.

The two men have their first real conversation, where Jack reveals that he's chasing a ghost. Locke then tells him what he knows --- that the island is different. The others don't want to talk about it, but they all instinctually know it. Locke is convinced that this is happening to Jack for a reason--- mainly as a test to prove to himself that he can lead.

A note: Locke says that he has "looked into the eyes of this island and what I saw was beautiful." What he doesn't consider is that it might be beautiful to him, the paralyzed man who can now walk, but it not might be for Jack. Perhaps the island is testing Jack somehow, and what we will come to realize is that while he can accept his role as leader, he can not quite buy what Locke is selling. This is a fundamental difference between the men, which will end up being a huge part of the drama of the show.

For the first time, we get a good look at the kind of man Jack was pre-island, and more importantly the relationship that he had with his father. Jack's father, like him, was a surgeon, and it's clearly suggested that their relationship was not a good one. The entire reason Jack went to Australia was to find his father, who was the midst of something unexplained (we'll find out what, but not from Jack) Eventually, he drank himself to death. Jack was accompanying his father's body back to the States, and it's clear from the last flashback, that he was hoping that he could finally end their tormented relationship. How ironic, that even though Jack eventually finds the coffin which carried his father, his body is gone. Now he can never lay it to rest.

(Another mystery: The coffin was shut, but the body wasn't in it. What happened? I would like to float the possibility that somehow the island is using Jack's father in some way. Over the past few years, several of the characters are revealed to have been involved with Jack's father, and because of that importance, the island took it, and I believe at some point in the shows final seasons, we will understand that purpose.)

Perhaps one reason the body was used was to lead Jack to a cave with freshwater spring. Jack also finds scattered parts of the plane and the coffin. This leads to him finally accepting, however reluctantly, his role as leader. When he brings the water back, he tells them that it is time for the others to start preparing for the possibility that rescue will not come, and that if "they can't live together, they're going to die alone" However, not everybody will take Jack's word as gospel, and that's going to lead to problems.

Jack is so front and center during this episode, everyone seems to fade into the background a bit. But we do get some more information. One of the more prominent characters is Claire. During the episode, she faints from lack of water, which leads to another crisis, when the already diminishing water is mysteriously taken. This sets up another sweet moment between her and Charlie. Claire knows that everyone thinks of her as a potential time bomb--- how long dot hey have before this new problem develops--- but Charlie is one of the only people who doesn't seem scared by this. There is definitely something between them, but Claire doesn't know Charlie's demon yet.

Boone seems to be trying to prove himself. He demonstrated that when he tried to save the woman that drowned, and he clearly blamed Jack for coming back with him. Then when Jack disappears, Boone tries to use the water to help Claire, arguing weakly that someone had to step up. A mini-mob begins forming, which is dissipated by the return of Jack. Boone isn't happy about this either.

Sawyer seems to be setting himself up the unofficial black market of this island. This becomes clear when he tries to bargain with Shannon over the price of some insect spray. When the water disappears, he's the obvious scapegoat, which becomes more suspicious when Sun mysteriously shows up with water. He reveals that he traded the water for a fish Jin caught --- that must have been fun for both of them--- but not before Kate tries to force it out of him, something which clearly delights him. Sun and her husband are clearly getting worried about their crisis, but their approaches are different--- she wants to try and communicate with the others to try and find leadership, he says that he will provide for her--- hence the trade with Sawyer. There is also a moment where Sayed tries to interrogate Sun, and replies to Kate's intervention with the reply that she understands what he's saying. Perhaps Sayed has insight into this from personal experience, and it turns out, he knows what he's talking about.

Kate seems to be taking on the role of a miniature enforcer--- she doesn't seem to want to lead, but she seems drawn to authority figures like Jack, Locke and Sayed. This is particular ironic considering her flashback, but there is clearly compassion in her behavior. Locke is assuming the role of half survivalist (he gathers water from the moisture on the leaves) part mystical yogi. When he goes into the woods after Jack, he assures Kate he knows how to find him, and there he is. The obvious answer to this is that he tracked Jack, but what if there was another way? Did the island guide him like it seemed to guide Jack?

The episode ends with Jack telling Kate why he was on the plane, but not why he went on his search in the first place. Maybe it's because he has trust issues or (more likely) he doesn't want to admit that what he saw was real. But this is a critical episode for Jack, and it demonstrates (if there was doubt before) that Matthew Fox is the right actor to be at the center of Lost Few people could demonstrate being strength and fear in the same character, but, as he demonstrated on Party of Five, Fox knows how to do it. The hallucination doesn't appear for awhile, but Jack still has real ghosts, and they're going to be biting at him on the island over and over.

My score:9.2moreless

We Love Your Feet, We Despise Your Hands

By Rufam, Apr 16, 2010

If you had fallen in love with Locke after last week's episode (I had), it's time to get frustrated with him. Because he rescues Jack from falling down a cliff. And then he gives him a pep talk! A pep talk! -

Jack, Jack, Jack. Handsome, charming, helpful, brilliant. Perfection. Jack. Shepard, Jack. Anyhow, as you have probably understood by the overwhelming prologue, this is an episode almost entirelly dedicated to JACK and his drama. JACK was a doctor back in the day, a doctor who was helpful and amazing and kind and always wanted to help people, even though his Bad Dad didn't always allow him to. But God punished him about not being the Dad JACK always wanted to have (that would be kind and respectful) by killing him. But Jack is sad anyway because he's so freakin' awesome. On the Island, Jack is haunted by his father hallucination but he is so smart that he falls down a cliff while struggling with getting some answers. Fortunately (????) he is rescued by Locke (!!!?!?) who afterwards gives him a little speech about... I don't even remember what it was about. Then, JACK gets all angry and destroys his Daddy's empty coffin. BUT!!! it doesn't matter he got a little mad 'cause he subsequently discovered a source of fresh water (he's amazing!). Finally, he headed down the beach to give his fellow survivors a speech about how he great he is. He also informs them that he will become their leader, although nobody asked him to. Great! -

As you PROBABLY have figured out yourselves I am not a big Jack worshiper. That's why I thought this episode was OK, but nothing really special. How could an episode really be great after all that Jack overdose?moreless

This episode very much feels like your in Wonderland...

By Jacob316, Feb 17, 2010

This is one of my least favourite episodes of Lost's first season. Why you ask? because the flashbacks are not very intresting, there is one decentscene were Jack goes to see see his deceased father. The flashbacks are dissapointing after seeing Kate's and Locke's but other than the poor flashbacks the rest of the episode is very intresting. The first scene which involves a woman drowning is a great treat to rewatch in my opinion because I usually forget all about it so when it comes on I go "Oh yeah I remember this part". This is one of the creepiest episodes of the series, the scenes with Jack looking for his father are really wierd but keeps you hooked because you want to know where he is leading Jack. Locke once again is awesome in this episode, he hints to Jack that he knows more about the island than most, the scene has some great dialogue. We see a bit more of Sun and Jin in this episode which is good considering the next episode centers around them. I noticed the writers do this a lot in the first season, they show more of a character the week before their centric episode. The "Live together, Die alone" speech is awesome one of the best leadership speeches of the series (there are loads of them), overall this episode is not one of my favourites of the season but I still give it a 9 that just shows how good season 1 is.moreless

Now jack is the Center!!!

By Dante_Edy, Jun 16, 2009

After 4 episodes, now we have the chance to look at Jack past.

Because the last episode was superb, it could create much expectation for this episode, since it seems the writers wanted to replicate the same results, as the previous episode.

Jack flashbacks too, connected very well to the island events. Jack as to face his demons, at least it appears that way. Since his the main character and the leader, he would be the perfect person to resolve the water problem.

Another great part of the episode was John Locke.In this episode, he act like a guide, we see him passing some of his knowlege onto Jack.moreless

In Wonderland

By napen, Aug 26, 2008

Jack ve a su padre (quien luego descubriremos ha muerto) adentrándose en la selva. Jack nos cuenta algo de su relación con él, no la mejor. Y por qué lo ve si no esta ahí? Qué es lo que tiene esta isla de especial?

"Así, pues, en aquella vasta caverna, entreveía por fin los suburbios del mundo prohibido, mundo al que, fuera de los ciegos, pocos mortales deben haber tenido acceso, y cuyo descubrimiento se paga con terribles castigos y cuyo testimonio nunca hasta hoy ha llegado inequívocamente a manos de los hombres que allá arriba siguen viviendo su candoroso sueño, desdeñándolo o encogiéndose de hombros ante los signos que deberían despertarlos: algún sueño, alguna fugaz visión, el relato de un niño o un loco."

Erensto Sabato, Sobre héroes y tumbas, Informe sobre ciegos.moreless

Excellent

By Shardyk, Jun 28, 2008

Some things happen in this episode that didn't go mentioned for a very long time such as Jack finding his father's empty coffin. I also think the fact that Locke saved Jack from falling off the cliff may come into play again one day. Another thing I didn't realize until just now is that White Rabbit was the first time they used an Alice in Wonderland reference for the first full Jack episode (the other being Through the Looking Glass). Jack obsessive tendencies to want to help people begin in this episode with the Boone/Joanna drowning incident. Overall, an outstanding episode. Walkabout was a tough act to follow though.moreless

Another great episode of Lost, I am only 5 into the first series and I know that this is going to be compeling watching, the intrigue will get the better of me until I know all the answers to all of those questions.

By captainbritain, Jun 19, 2008

Jack saves a guy from drowning in the sea, only to discover that he had problems when he was trying to rescue a girl from drowning, she is still out there, even though he is tolde to go after her, he continues to save the boy, who confronts him about it afterwards, especially as the girl drowned.

The water is running low - only 18 bottles left, we have Charlie and Hurley trying to get answers from JAck, who hasn't slept in, well forever by the looks of it, he is beginning to see the man in the suit more and more, then we discover that this is his father.

We get flashbacks of Jack with regards his father and discover that he went off to Australia to bring his father back, only he can't find him. Jack goes into the jungle, hence white rabbit i believe, chasing the father image, only to be rescued from a perilous position by John Locke. They talk, and whilst John goes to look for water for the others, John tells Jack that he needs to continue his journey.

John does his soul searching in the jungle, follows a noise, finds a source of water and a part of the plane also. Just as they are about to lynch the culprit who stole the water. Jack comes back at the right time, makes a wonderful speech and saves the day regarding working together and the water situation and opening eyes to the fact that they can't just wait to be rescued, that they must start living, contributing and to stop thinking of number one from now on.

Kate and Jack complete the episode by chatting briefly over their day, then for Jack to open up regarding his fathers' death, but he did leave out his grieving session that he had at the wreckage earlier that evening. Wise choice, better to appear to be rugged and a leader, as you know that they are going to get it on in some form, but it will no doubt be a will they, won't they situation.moreless

Load More Reviews