And the First Cancellation of the Season Is... Lucky 7!

By Tim Surette

Oct 04, 2013

The odds of winning the Powerball jackpot are about 1 in 175 million, according to a quick Google search. But those are still better than ABC lottery drama Lucky 7's odds of surviving until the end of its 13-episode order after the 0.7 18-49 demo rating it posted in its second week. Television's Grim Reaper emerged from its mausoleum under the Hollywood sign today and strolled down to ABC, where it swung its might scythe into the heart of the two-episodes-old Lucky 7, making it the first cancellation of the fall season, according to TV Line

The drama starred Matt Long, Isiah Whitlock, Jr., Summer Bishil, and Lorraine Bruce as employees of a gas and service station who pooled their money and won a lottery jackpot, changing their lives forever, for better or worse. I loved the idea but didn't care much for the pilot, and apparently viewers didn't either. It debuted to 4.43 million viewers and earned a 1.3 in the adult demo before plummeting to 2.62 million viewers and a 0.7 rating this week. That is not good. At all. 

But some viewers will miss Lucky 7 for what it wasn't. It was not a cop show, a detective show, an FBI show, a doctor show, a lawyer show, a firefighter show, a superhero show, a serial-killer show, a vampire show, a werewolf show, a reality show, a zombie show, a home-improvement show, a singing show, a sketch-comedy show, a fairy-tale show, or a show about domes. So kudos for trying to be original, Lucky 7 (however, let's not forget that it was an adaptation of a British series). 

Repeats of Scandal, whose Season 3 premiere went bonkers in the ratings last night, will replace Lucky 7. There's no word on if or when ABC will air the remaining produced episodes. 

Last year, the Reaper waited until October 10 to make its first cancellation, claiming the soul of Made in Jersey after two episodes. The year before that? The Playboy Club, also on October 4.  

Did YOU have Lucky 7 in your Dead Pool?

• Comments (189)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • adamdecker399 Oct 08, 2013

Well I just lost the dead poll. Guess I know better for next time.

• Muderboy Oct 07, 2013

That's okay, I give Ironside one episode before it bites some dust!

• Muderboy Oct 07, 2013

Dead Pool--FTW!!!!

• ADragonsDream Oct 07, 2013

Lucky 7 had the same premise as Windfall, a summer show from a few years ago and the same problem as it and other shows with a singular inciting incident (like The Nine). After the single incident that brings these people together, there is nothing that holds them (or us, the viewer). There is a reason there are no great dramas about the local plumber or banker. So they won the lottery in episode 1. What are they gonna do in episode 2, episode 20, episode 100? We'll never know (and that's a good thing)

• rhaben Oct 07, 2013

I watched maybe 15 minutes of this show and ran to the computer to see if it had be axed. No surprise. I had it in my dead pool.

• enjoi_anime_016 Oct 07, 2013

Yes, this was totally on my Dead Pool. :)

• terminaltrip421 Oct 06, 2013

also the 642 followers of this show ...are they just people who follow everything or did they have a real interest?

• terminaltrip421 Oct 06, 2013

I had this in my hulu queue in case I ran out of other stuff and I would then maybe give it a shot. after watching the trailer though I knew I would probably have little to no interest in the show.

• Mcarson09 Oct 06, 2013

I didn't even consider this a real show!!

• inbar777 Oct 06, 2013

yay it was on my dead list !!!!! one down four more to go

• See More Comments (118)