Lucky Louie

Show Reviews (31)

Great

A smirking, puerile, sloppily done sit-com, mercifully cancelled.

By louisms, Dec 23, 2010

Those of us who criticized LL for it's gratuitious obscenity and adolescent sexual pre-occupation were commonly dismissed by fans as being right-wing prudes. Or, if we'd comment on the relentlessly lowbrow character of the show, or suggest that the humor was puerile, we were accused of being snotty elitists.

Well, I'm not, by any means, a prude, most emphatically not right-wing. I haven't any problem with the frank portrayal of sex on-screen, nor the free use of obscenity. And I certainly hope I'm not guilty of elitism. But Lucky Louie was possibly the very worst thing I've ever seen on HBO. Production values were primitive, the laugh-track incredibly irritating (yeah, I know, live studio audience-Jerry Springer's, no doubt- but nobody can convince me that the laughs weren't "sweetened" post-production), and the acting was just terrible. In one episode, the "actress" playing Louie's wife slipped out of character and nearly giggled when Louie bounded out of bed naked at the end of a scene. The kid playing the daughter frequently could be seen looking off-stage, presumably at her coach.

But the worst thing about the show was it's smirking, adolescent attitude toward sex. "OOH, this is sooo dirty!", I can imagine the writers saying as they giggled like 13 year old boys over their crude, tasteless scripts.

You know, writing this review just made me feel better about LL. I realize that I've used the past tense throughout, reminding me that this piece of trash show is dead.moreless

Borrow some characters from Jerry Springer add a little Dr. Phil and sprinkle the whole thing with Rosanne Barr to pretend there is some comedy and you get Lucky Louie.

By Webdawg, Dec 20, 2010

If this pilot is supposed to show us what the show will be like, it\'s a waste of time. The attempt at humor and acting was pathetic from the very beginning with the semi-monologue between Louie and his daughter. He responds to his daughter\'s string of \"why\"\'s until she accepts the response \"God is dead and we are alone\" and the live audience seems to laugh almost nervously. It is not funny in a comedic sense, but more in an uncomfortable sense.

This uncomfortable humor seems to be how all the comedy is framed. Every bit of humor seems tied to some taboo or annoyance . . . not amusing things, but serious things. Usually a comedian can take the issues of the day and make people feel comfortable about laughing at them. This show tries to make the audience laugh by setting up uncomfortable situations that don\'t really resolve in a humorous fashion.

I can\'t see an audience coming back again and again to awkward situations that don\'t really have any catharsis. The show is essentially attempting to mix Jerry Springer, Dr. Phil sprinkled with some Rosanne Barr to mask it as a situation comedy.

Even if you think the idea here is funny, the acting was so choppy and stunted that the show felt forced. I highly doubt Louie will be very lucky in the long run.moreless

This show lacks charisma. It is Vanilla Seinfeld without the funny. Louis C.K. frankly is horrible as a lead actor. Jim Norton is not an actor, he always has his hands like a crippled child. The only decent part of the show is the child. naughty!

By BenSparks, Dec 20, 2010

After watching this horrible attempt at a sitcom, HBO should be ashamed. I will be surprised if the show makes it to season #2, the time slot will get it an initial rating, but soon the quality viewership of \\\\\\\"Entourage\\\\\\\" will tune this borefest out.

I honestly think HBO has lost its edge. Nothing daring and this show is no exception. The cast is flawed, especially childish humor freak comic Jim Norton (not the football player), he is NOT an actor and shows it 100 percent, standing there with his hands looking like stones.

Only way to improve the show is to eliminate the \\\\\\\"neighbor\\\\\\\" played by Jim Norton and replace him with a female presence. Sadly HBO has pissed away another couple of million on a soon to be cancelled show.

moreless

Maybe it will get better.

By macheath48, Dec 20, 2010

After much hype, the thought of bringing back \\\"Filmed Before A Live Audience\\\" comedy promised to be a welcome relief (how many reality shows can you watch?) Unfortunately, this show was too mild to be considered a hit. Although advertised as a comedy program that would redifine the genre, it was hardly funny. Somehow, the ability to use four letter words no longer shocks or ever produces a nervous giggle.

Maybe future scripts will be tightened up so that the comedy comes through. Although the cast was capable, the lame lines they were given hardly seem worth the effort.moreless

After enduring just two episodes, I called it quits!

By rreihart, Dec 20, 2010

When I saw the previews for this new situation comedy on HBO, I thought hmmmm, that's a different approach for HBO to produce a "Honeymooners-esque" show with modern topics and dialogue, I will give it a try. Sadly, I was hooribly disappointed. Not only is the show not funny, the modern dialogue I spoke of is pathetic. It's like they try to force swearing into the show to the point that it doesn't even work and doesn't sound like natural conversation at all. Don't even get me started on the full frontal male nudity in the second episode. It's not that I am even against that type of thing in general, but if it's going to occur I would hope it would at least be a somewhat attractive man, not an overweight, balding version of the cover of Mad Magazine.

So please, HBO, go back to work on some more epic shows that leave me wanting so much more. Give me some more quality programming like Six Feet Under or Big Love.moreless

What was HBO thinking when they cancelled this show?

By master_t_316, Dec 06, 2010

So I just heard that HBO cancelled "Lucky Louie." I guess it's commonplace for society to pan inovative ideas. "Lucky Louie" was the first ever multi-camera, uncensored sitcom that was filmed in front of a live audience. For years I've always believed that this idea was an untapped resource. Why not have an uncensored sitcom on a pay channel? "Lucky Louie" was a very funny show that I thought should have been around for years ago. And when someone FINALLY realizes that that is something that is not on TV, it was spit on. Anyway, there isn't much to say about this short lived sitcom. It wasn't given a chance to succeed, and I hope HBO comes to their senses and puts it back on the air.

Louie: "Why are you acting this way?"

Kim: "How am I acting?"

Louie: "You're acting like a f*cking c*nt!"moreless

Crass, lewd, crude ... this show could be me!

By IAmATVJunkie, Sep 12, 2010

I think Louis C.K. is a brilliant standup. He directed a movie called "Pootie Tang" that was off the wall funny.

"Lucky Louie" is an updated "Honeymooners" after it's been dragged in the gutter for a bit.

The language is HBO-quality shocking and the nudity is gratuitous. Having said that, it's pretty funny. And the language issue for me masks the fact that there's almost NO production values here.

Still, I get a kick out of it.

Lucky Louie, which Emmy-winning writer-producer Louis C.K. also wrote, centers on a middle-class couple with a kid. Louis C.K. will play the father.

By KAF17, Aug 10, 2009

Lucky Louie is an adult show that aired on HBO. But I guess they didn't get good ratings because the show was later cancelled. Anyway, I was glad I was able to watch this series. It was funny, crazy and down right good. I believe you can find the series On Demand or rent it. If anyone go looking for this series, then you might want to try the internet if you can't fine it on DVD or whatever. Good luck to those who go looking for this really funy series wherever you decide to look. And to the network, keep the good movies and series coming.moreless

I liked Lucky Louie. It was actually a funny show. I wish it could've continued.

By LRoddiNY6812, Nov 05, 2007

When I first heard of Lucky Louie before it aired on HBO, I became proud of HBO for finding a new idea for another comedy series. The only comedy series I had watched... I still watch is Curb Your Enthusiasm. After I had watched the first episode, I thought that it was good and not good. Some parts were very funny and some were not funny. Previews for future episodes made me want to tune in next week (which is rare for me; if I don't really like a show, I would forget the next week). As time went on, I had grown to like and maybe love the series. I loved it because it was just so stupid and the adults had the brains of nine-year-olds. If there is anyone who will love this series, it would be someone who likes to share their nasty dreams about going down on a demon to a priest.

I will be buying the DVD because I actually have that kind of sense of humor and I missed the final two episodes because I had to go to Florida. It is a shame that this series was cancelled.moreless

Load More Reviews