Luther

Show Reviews (11)

Great

Luther aka Sh*t That Wouldn't Happen in America

By wscott842121, Sep 23, 2014

You know, because we have guns and people with balls. Nevertheless, good show.

Class! What an excellent series.

By kikkapi, Aug 27, 2014

I've always liked Idris Elba - maybe it's because of The Wire or maybe because his screen presence is so compelling. When our TVs schedules are filled with so much dross to have this little gem of a series appear is so (Idris Elba) is a Detective Inspector in a Special Crimes Unit who has just returned to work after having recently recovered from a mental breakdown due to pressures of a marriage break up and over commitment to his job. His relationships with his ex-wife, his new colleague DS Ripley and a psychopathic but brilliant young lady are central to the development of the series. Each episode leaves one wanting to know how the plot will develop. There are of course the crimes to be solved and Luther's unorthodox but canny methods.

I will not divulge any more but the climatic ending to episode 6 makes one want to know 'what now?' I strongly recommend Luther who anyone who appreciates 'quality' television drama.moreless

Dexter is what Luther scrapes off the bottom of his shoe...

By wudntulik2know, Sep 12, 2013

Well, I'm glad that's over. Not an auspicious season.

Two points:

1. THE COPPERS IN BRITAIN SHOULD CARRY GUNS.

2. Any building with an inside lock on an exterior door (Luther's condo, apparently) should be investigated by OSHA (or whichever agency does that) in the since Britain doesn't have the proper inspectors for their real estate.

Any road, I'm glad that's over and I won't be spending my coin to see your movie, Idris. Sorry.

***

Interesting, no posts on this show whatsoever.

No matter, it's still light years a better show than Dexter. But one question:

DO THE COPPERS IN BRITAIN STILL NOT CARRY GUNS???????????????????????????

Oh, and on the malarkey, it was a red herring. Not a very good one, either. The last season was nowhere near as good as the other two.

Good luck in the movies, Idris. Don't become a Clive Owen or a Hugh Grant, I'm begging you.

***

On Season Three:

Oh boy, just as tough to watch as the previous two seasons. Elba is amazing, as per his usual.

All four last ever episodes are available On Demand. There will be a movie, it seems, to continue the series. Not for me, thanks all the same.

One bit of malarkey in the last season, episode one, to set up the finale. Again, glad to know what's coming, that is one of the best things about Brit shows that are spoiled in Wikipedia. Don't want to spoil it, but it's not believable, especially based on season two.

Well, to those who admire television as it should be made: steel yourself and enjoy.

On Seasons One and Two:

Wow. I have tried many times to watch this show, it is rough, and I can only watch it in small portions.

I have always loved Idris Elba, he was one of the best parts of The Wire. He is amazing in this show, but the storylines? Hoo boy.

Not for the faint of heart.

Glad it's coming back, but too bad the weasels at FIOS leave in the commercials when they put it on On Demand.

Oh well, back to the amazing show that is Luther.moreless

By totomomo182, Sep 07, 2013

I just watched the first episode and I was disturbed

He let a serial killer go what kind of a hero is he ??? (I mean Alice morgan not the guy on the roof top)

That really turned me off from the show

Brilliant psychological thriller!

By janineunderwo, Sep 05, 2013

This is an awesome show even though it is somewhat disturbing. I never really got into "The Wire" but I can see I will have to now. Idris Elba is brilliant as DCI John Luther in this show, Luther.

About the final episode of this richly tense show

By bruno_fmenedes, Jul 29, 2013

I already loved this series, but this final amazing episode just raised the bar even more! Beautiful shots, perfect placement of some great music, excellent performances by all the actors, particularly Idris Elba (Luther) and the returning Ruth Wilson (Alice), both playing extremely captivating and interesting characters. The best episode of the series IMHO and one of the best episodes of any drama series ever! This is TV drama entertainment at it's best and most compelling! I think the only possible way they could top this is by making a movie, which these characters and artistic vision really deserve. But I will be more than glad if they decide to make another season before that. The only way I will be sad is if this is the last time we see Luther and Alice, although ending with such an awesome episode (Season 3 - Episode 4), which was directly following the events of the previous episode (shocking but terrific), is still a better way to go than almost all TV shows finales I've seen. Luther FTW!!!moreless

Luther Was here, but now he's gone

By nahga1, Jul 28, 2013

Great show. Glad Luther returned for a final season

You dark and twisted little beauty

By warpoc, Jul 04, 2013

Oh how I'm enjoying all this anti-hero TV there is right now! Dexter, Banshee, Breaking Bad (probably others) and most definitely Luther. It does make your moral compass sway somewhat,

well that's ok

... isn't it?

Compellingly creepy - like Dexter, even though it's not anything like Dexter other than messing with us psychologically.

By Shreela, Jun 04, 2011

Luther is a great detective, even though he's quite flawed, but in a way that's understandable, for many of us would have similar issues if we faced what he's faced.

He "knows" a suspect is guilty by how the suspect over-controlled themselves during his "sneeze test" (don't worry, it's revealed right after the sneeze test, so I don't consider that a spoiler). Yet despite the entire team's best efforts, they can't find any real evidence on the suspect, so they have to release the suspect. BTW, the suspect is a genius (natch).

The suspect becomes intrigued by Luther (my guess is that they've never come close to anyone else that's almost as brilliant as they are), and becomes quite involved in his life, and investigations. This is when the show really becomes interesting, especially from the psychological perspective - it's creepy, yet kind of understandable.

I hope there's another season - I want to see what happens after the big showdown!moreless

Load More Reviews