Episode Reviews (5)

Memorable but silly.

By johnjaha99, Jun 16, 2011

This is an episode everyone remembers, all the clever traps really put Macgyver's talents to good use. Decoys, scramblers, smokescreens, periscopes, are just some of the tricks Mac has up his sleave in dealing with the demented Quayle. One problem I had was, after escaping, Macgyver trusts Quayle will "turn off his guns" to let him back in. Mac is pretty trusting of the demented Quayle to trust him. Also poor acting of Quayle and the girl hurts the episode, but it is still an exciting, defining, and unique episode of the series that I would encourage anyone to watch.moreless

A well-acted villain but idiotic is the highlight of this episode.

By acegikmo11, Jun 10, 2007

In "Deathlock", MacGyver faces his first well-developed nemesis, Quayle, who is played well in an over-the-top manner by Christopher Neame. A nice scene at the beginning the episode shows Quayle receiving orders from his superiors in a dark room. The audience learns that he once failed to kill MacGyver and was "punished" but has been given him another chance. He now must eliminate MacGyver or be eliminated himself. It's a well-done scene, directed nicely by Cliff Bole, and it for once shows the audience something about the man who's after MacGyver.

The rest of the episode features MacGyver and several co-workers stranded in a safehouse that has been taken over and booby-trapped by Quayle. Overall the episode plays out very much like a James Bond film. And, like a James Bond film, the villain demonstrates himself to be a fool by passing up several opportunities to take down the hero. Instead of emerging from his control room to kill MacGyver once he realises that MacGyver can overcome his traps, Quayle simply remains there and becomes angrier and angrier throughout the episode, letting MacGyver outsmart him by setting a trap of his own.

It's a shame that the first villain to be given some degree of dimensionality on MacGyver had to prove such a dolt to accommodate the plot.moreless

One of the few best MacGyver episodes ever made.

By MacGyvrGenius, Jul 27, 2006

I love it, MacGyver and Pete trapped in a high tech bobby traped mansion and MacGyver shows us how to make a electronic jammer, a motorized moving armor, vinagar and baking soda smokescreen, a early warning system, and a short circuit lure into a water cannon. I love this episode and I suggest to see this one for sure.

MacGyver and Pete are cleverly trapped in a Boobytrapped mansion along with a female government agent. An old nemesis, Quayle, is determined to kill MacGyver with everything he has got and prove he is the better man. Will MacGyver and Pete make it out a

By the80sKNIGHT, Oct 13, 2005

I enjoyed this episode as it is the first time we see Quayle, an old nemesis that has a second chance to kill MacGyver. He does it well and boobytraps the mansion well, I think.

It was a little obvious that MacGyver would have to go for the power source as all of Quayle's boobytraps were electrical. However, MacGyver has a real hard challenge for the first time as Pete is mixed up in the mess, as MacGyver actually escaped the mansion and had to return to save him!

Now we have an enemy for MacGyver, like Batman - the Joker, Superman - Lex Luther etc. it makes it more interesting and we get to know Quayle's strategies. Overall good episode.