Friends

Episode Reviews (4)

Mediocre
5.4

The first of three insipid flashback episodes this show forcefed us, each worse than the last.

By mark_28, Apr 28, 2007

One reviewer suggested that MacGyver (and other series) resorted to these inane flashback episodes because they're "out of ideas". There may be marginal truth to that, but the most common reason they do it is to keep from going overbudget at the end of the season, when funds start to get dry. There were a few likable elements of this episode, and some strong acting and banter between Mac and Pete when Mac expressed his intent to resign from Phoenix. Seeing Kate Connolly (the woman he slept with in "The Gauntlet") with a bun in the oven was hilarious. Reliving the masterfully produced opening gambits from season one was nice, but dubbing comparatively generic Dennis McCarthy music over the awesome Randy Edelman scores from when the gambits originally aired. On the downside, the knifepoint capture of MacGyver by Jack Dalton posing as a Colombian druglord was absurd, and his interaction with Penny Parker over the course of the episode was relentlessly cringe-inducing. Certainly this episode was a waste of time, but again, financially necessary for a high-budget series like MacGyver to fill out its 22-episode order for each season within budget, so I'm willing to forgive producers for foisting it upon us. Mac's shredding of the resignation letter, and Pete's corresponding jubilation, helped bring a smile to my face in the end. Unfortunately, the ratings for subsequent episodes began to decline, and I have to believe the lackluster nature of this flashback episode contributed to the erosion.moreless

Exactly... Filler episode.

By OnePerCentClub, Mar 14, 2007

Nothing important happened but Macgyver wanting to quit to settle down.

We see several flashbacks from episodes like the Pilot, the episode with the famous scenes with the map that helps Mac get out of trouble, the episode where he meets Penny and they escape from the airport, etc. Jack (in a disguise) brings Mac to the Phoenix Foundation and several friends he has met in the past are there. Kate Connolly, Penny Parker, Pete Thornton, et cetera. It was a filler episode. Mac wants to quit but realizes that every person, every friend he has is because he has met them in dangerous situations or while on mission. So I guess you know what happened at the end of the ep.

LGmoreless

The writer's are short on ideas and we are treated to an episode of flashbacks and philosophical musings by MacGyver, who's experiencing a little bit of a midlife crisis as yet another birthday rolls around.

By brandi9, Feb 21, 2006

“Friends” is an excruciating flashback show that is ultimately as insulting as its flimsy plot. It’s filled with scenes from other episodes, which screams “we’re out of ideas, lets look back at some of our greatest hits.” As much as I love “MacGyver,” imagine the ultimate let down fans felt back in 1987 when their loyal week-long wait for a new ep was paid off by “Friends,” chockfull of scenes from episodes already aired.

The short and skinny of “Friends” is that Mac is getting older, so naturally, it is time for some reflection on his life’s work. At a surprise birthday party for our dashing hero, Mac is the drag of the party as he sulks about what he has to show for a life of vigilante Mr. Fix-It fun. He meets an old girlfriend who’s VERY pregnant (if there is such a thing) and he looks all moony at her as if he wishes he was the dad.

Throughout the episode, Mac meets up with people from his past and present, and with each meeting we are treated to a flashback to earlier episodes, involving (you guessed it) that very same person.

The most hilarious aspect of this episode is that Mac’s midlife crisis has driven him to the mad conclusion that in order to be happy, he needs to quit his job, move back to Minnesota, get married and do the domestic thing. If only it were so easy! I suppose there’s a blue-eyed blond waiting for him at the airport, just whenever he decides to go back home. Relationships, both looking for and maintaining them, are far more work than Mac could ever do at the Phoenix Foundation. Pete helps MacGyver realize this (well, not exactly) and he decides to stay with his friends and work and his life’s mission and mercifully, this episode ends.

moreless