Friends

Mediocre
5.4

Exactly... Filler episode.

By OnePerCentClub, Mar 14, 2007

Nothing important happened but Macgyver wanting to quit to settle down.

We see several flashbacks from episodes like the Pilot, the episode with the famous scenes with the map that helps Mac get out of trouble, the episode where he meets Penny and they escape from the airport, etc. Jack (in a disguise) brings Mac to the Phoenix Foundation and several friends he has met in the past are there. Kate Connolly, Penny Parker, Pete Thornton, et cetera. It was a filler episode. Mac wants to quit but realizes that every person, every friend he has is because he has met them in dangerous situations or while on mission. So I guess you know what happened at the end of the ep.

LGmoreless

Flashback episodes come in four forms. 90 percenters, partials, fake, and this example, crap that shouldn\'t be made. We\'ll see which one it is.

By kinglink2, Apr 18, 2006

This is by far the worst episode of Mcgyver I have ever seen. Pure and simple.

That\'s not to say it\'s a completely bad episode. There\'s a couple great parts. This is a \"bastard\" style episode where there\'s a good amount of new content (around the 50 percent mark) but there\'s a lot of old stuff.

However This episode doesn\'t really offer new \"Mcgyver\" episode or story or inventions. All it offers is a really bad story of a party for Mcgyver, a reference to an interesting mission that came before (he was imperiled 3 times) and the fact that Mcgyver wanted to quit. Oh and a chance to see the young Teri Hatcher, and new regular (Jack Dalton) a chance to talk, as well as a lot of old stars to come back. Which is somewhat to see.

However that all being said the flashbacks are crap, it takes a single or two flashbacks per episode, while \"Mac\" sees people he worked with. However if you\'ve seen these episodes you already know the story, and if you haven\'t seen the episode then you\'re wondering what\'s going on and the scenes arn\'t that exciting.

It looks like either the team ran out of money, ideas or just gave up. There\'s really nothing that makes these flashbacks exciting enough to even meantion.

Sadly this brings us to the main part of the flashback episode. There\'s no reason for 90 percent of these episodes, and this is no difference. In the later half of the 2nd season there\'s at least 3 episodes that has flashbacks, one with completely new video(introducing.. MURDOCH! the master criminal) and a couple of Jack Dalton\'s first episode (which aired only about two monthes before the second.)

The new stuff doesn\'t have an entire episode (good story for a drama, however not even anything other then a Dalton joke is seen in action)

As if this isn\'t enough the plot line is Mcgyver doesn\'t quit! WOW!!!

And it wasn\'t even a season finale, what a shocker that he didn\'t quit!moreless

The writer's are short on ideas and we are treated to an episode of flashbacks and philosophical musings by MacGyver, who's experiencing a little bit of a midlife crisis as yet another birthday rolls around.

By brandi9, Feb 21, 2006

“Friends” is an excruciating flashback show that is ultimately as insulting as its flimsy plot. It’s filled with scenes from other episodes, which screams “we’re out of ideas, lets look back at some of our greatest hits.” As much as I love “MacGyver,” imagine the ultimate let down fans felt back in 1987 when their loyal week-long wait for a new ep was paid off by “Friends,” chockfull of scenes from episodes already aired.

The short and skinny of “Friends” is that Mac is getting older, so naturally, it is time for some reflection on his life’s work. At a surprise birthday party for our dashing hero, Mac is the drag of the party as he sulks about what he has to show for a life of vigilante Mr. Fix-It fun. He meets an old girlfriend who’s VERY pregnant (if there is such a thing) and he looks all moony at her as if he wishes he was the dad.

Throughout the episode, Mac meets up with people from his past and present, and with each meeting we are treated to a flashback to earlier episodes, involving (you guessed it) that very same person.

The most hilarious aspect of this episode is that Mac’s midlife crisis has driven him to the mad conclusion that in order to be happy, he needs to quit his job, move back to Minnesota, get married and do the domestic thing. If only it were so easy! I suppose there’s a blue-eyed blond waiting for him at the airport, just whenever he decides to go back home. Relationships, both looking for and maintaining them, are far more work than Mac could ever do at the Phoenix Foundation. Pete helps MacGyver realize this (well, not exactly) and he decides to stay with his friends and work and his life’s mission and mercifully, this episode ends.

moreless