GX-1

Episode Reviews (3)

Great

Mac has to find a plane with the help of Nikki

By OnePerCentClub, Jun 02, 2008

A very important plane, a design that was sort of top secret has crashed and Pete asks MacGyver to look for it. But he won't go alone, Nikki Carpenter will come with him and they will pose as a married couple. Of course, Mac is not very happy about this but they go together. They realize that Starkoss, a Russian psychic, is helping find the plane and the pilot. Mac is very skeptic at the beginning, claiming he has all the data to find the plane but Nikki is a believer, she's confused. Mac goes on alone, but Nikki joins him in the mountains after getting in a lot of trouble. Starkoss asks them to meet him so he can cross the border and be a free man.

It was a good episode. One thing I'm always going to love about this show is the beautiful landscapes. I loved every balloon scene. They were exciting.

I still don't know why many people didn't like Nikki Carpenter. Maybe she could've been a little annoying sometimes, but she didn't need to be in every episode, just every now and then. She and Mac had a very good chemistry and it was good to see a girl around.

It was kind of sad when Starkoss told Mac that his mother forgave him for not being at her funeral. Mac was shocked, and somehow understands that yes, it wasn't his fault,but he's not very convinced and we'll see this situation addressed in an upcoming season.

The "macgyverisms" were fun, especially the whole balloon thing. LGmoreless

An effective blend of humor and Cold War-era globe-trotting adventure make for an exciting 50th episode.

By mark_28, May 01, 2007

MacGyver reaches his milestone 50th episode with a whimpering audience response, generating a season-low 11.2 rating...and I'm sure the crew was really starting to get nervous given the soft performance thus far in the season and the new ABC programming executive's indifference towards the modest success of MacGyver. Contentwise, the episode impressed. Even though the airborne jet footage was clearly lifted from "Top Gun", the heavy spyjinks really introduced this Cold War-era themed episode with a spark, particularly the haunting scene that introduces us to the psychic Starkos, played wonderfully by character actor Walter Gotell. The tone lightened considerably with the MacGyver and Nikki banter in the mountains of East Germany, but generally the sexual tension was as well-played as possible in the hands of two capable actors (although most fans and even MacGyver crew members were peeved about the network's insistence on the introduction of a Moonlighting-esque boy-girl detective theme). The adventure rolls at a steady pace until the emotional and brilliantly-directed scenes with Starkos and MacGyver in the Army barracks, and the outrageous climactic scene with the hot air balloon escape.

While I generally share the misgivings by fans on ABC trying to turn MacGyver into Moonlighting (and this episode was the peak of that dynamic between MacGyver and Nikki) and I have to dock a point or two on my overall score for it, it's hard not to applaud the outstanding writing effort by Calvin Clements, Jr. and director Michael Vejar.moreless