Passages

Episode Reviews (4)

Superb

Macguyver and the afterlife.

By sh811a, Dec 07, 2010

This is one of those rare stories that litterally show how human action heroes can be, it showed that our hero Macgyver can actually die. Personally even though it is my number two favorate episode because it's so emotional, it put tears in my eyes just watching it. Macgyver is in distress over his Grandpa Harry's condition which is near death. He is meanwhile on a mission to guard an egyptian artifact which has to do with the myth of Osiris. The myth of course corilates with what's to come. It gets stolen by Black Marketers and Macgyver tries to stop them but fails and gets seriously hurt putting him in a coma. The coma gives Macgyver a chance to board the Osiris to see his Grandfather but also reunite with his parients.

You can't help but feel a heavy sense of emotion in the episode because Macgyver is actually human in this one. You always know that Macgyver can get out of sticky sittuations every time, but in this episode were for the first time not so sure because this is actually death he is dealing with, how he going to get out of it, can he honestly get out of it? Another thing about it just the emotional reunion with his parients whom have all been decessed when he was a young child, you almost could sense he was going to cry at the moment he saw them again. However he has to make a rather difficult and heartbreaking choice, to either go back to the relm of the living and save his friends from getting killed or stay with his family and go to the afterlife. Being Macgyver is never easy and the decision he makes proves it.

The episode is a hopeful message showing how people we know and love are never gone, there always with us even though we can't see them.moreless

An outstanding character-driven episode for a series (and a title character) that really needed an episode with this kind of dramatic exposition.

By mark_28, May 05, 2010

There was no guarantee when this episode was written and produced that there would be a sixth season of MacGyver, so the crew was mindful when making this pivotal episode that it may end up being MacGyver's last. Of course, there would be a sixth season, but it was nonetheless perfect timing in the chronology of this series, particularly with the narrative about MacGyver's mother finally revealed in its completion in "The Madonna", for this strange but affecting episode, an episode considered by many to be the series' best. It was not a new idea for a TV series to subject its lead character(s) to have an out-of-body experience ("Magnum, P.I." did it a few years earlier), but I've never seen it done with such a thoughtful and layered execution, or with such dazzling otherwordly imagery. The production values really stood out on this episode, and yet another example of how despicable the TV industry was to ignore this series' accomplishments year after year.

Despite the story's brilliant layering and juxtaposition, I have to dock the episode a couple points for logistical snafus throughout the hour. It's one thing to dismiss some of the weirder decisions made by the characters on the "death boat" given that it was a quasi-dream sequence, but why on Earth did Pete, Hakim, and the Phoenix historian stand around to choke on the tear gas when Hakim's associate tossed the gas into the room? Who would do that? I just didn't get it. I also didn't get why Pete thought he could get away with holding three armed killers at bay in the hospital room at the end of the episode, yet feel secure enough to turn away from them completely and jubilantly mutter "Welcome back MacGyver!" Whatever the case, the acting was good, the writing was generally superb, and the production values were spectacular.

MacGyver finished season five with its lowest overall ratings, but the audience didn't diminish enough to where the network felt the series' performance was likely to be improved upon by a replacement, so it would return for a sixth season in the fall of 1990 and simultaneously raise its low profile with reruns on the USA Network. Creatively, season five was another success story for the series, keeping the creative momentum of the excellent fourth season, but finally starting to show a few signs of age late in the season.moreless

Good episode...

By green_arrow92, Nov 29, 2006

This is the best season finale of macgyver that I have ever seen, well come to think of it, it is the only season finale that I have seen. macgyver's grandfather had a heart attack and mac can't get a plane to go and see him. He has to help the Phoenix foundation with this relic and it was just stolen so Mac goes after the guy and the guy pushes Mac off the building and he is now in a coma and he is the only one who can Identify the Burgler. While in his coma he sees his dead parents and his now dead grandpa. Macgyver wakes up and Identifys the burgler. This is another series classic and one of my favorites on season 5. later...moreless