Mad Men's Preparing for Take-off With New Promo Images for Season 7 (PHOTOS)

By Kaitlin Thomas

Mar 12, 2014

Mad Men is requesting that you return your tray tables and seatbacks to their upright and locked positions because the first half of the show's seventh and final season is preparing for take-off, with departure scheduled for Sunday, April 13 (the second half will air in 2015). Last week, AMC released the first traditionally frustrating and vague teaser of the season, a short clip that featured Jon Hamm's Don Draper descending the stairs of a TWA airplane. And today, the network released a handful of promotional images in the same vein.

To be clear, these are not episode stills, so don't spend too many hours searching for clues to plots that aren't there. However, feel free to infer whatever you want about what these shots might say about what's ahead. After all, that's what I'm going to do!

All three of the new images depict airports and airplanes, which could mean that this first batch of episodes will focus on characters in transition. Airports are transitory places, what with people always coming and going, and given that Season 6 ended with Don having a breakdown, taking a forced leave from the office, and dragging his children to see the whorehouse where he grew up, I'd say we're definitely looking at a new chapter of his life. So let's speculate about what it might involve, shall we?

Oh look, there's Don and Megan. See how she's clinging to him and he looks like he couldn't care less? Their body language seems perfectly in line with what we knew or suspected after the Season 6 finale: Don and Megan are headed for divorce. Perhaps Don is ready and Megan's refusing to let go, even though her actions last season kind of contradict that idea. Either way, I won't fault her if it turns out she wants to fight for him, because Don Draper looks like Jon Hamm; who wouldn't want to fight for that? 

Beyond Don and Megan, all the luggage in the scene obviously symbolizes Don's emotional baggage, which he takes with him wherever he goes. Don is basically the poster boy for baggage.

Now we're talking! The second image features the other most important woman in Don's life: Peggy Olson (sorry, Sally). She and Don are facing opposite directions, which could symbolize that they're still on the outs; that certainly fits with what we already know. Don is looking down at his paper, while Peggy is taking a break from her work and looking out and up, which could suggest that she's officially leaving her former mentor in the past and heading toward a bright, shiny future. 

Out of the airport, into the airplane! In the final shot, Don and Roger are on a plane and Roger is very obviously living his best life. Nice pants, Roger! The guys' legs being crossed toward one another could mean that they'll have each other's backs this season. It could also mean that they both have to pee. Who knows?!

Anyway, on that note, let's wrap this up with a look at the groovy new poster for Season 7!

What do you think, guys? Are you ready for Season 7?

• Comments (19)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • mrjimmyjames Mar 13, 2014

Megan's still with the show? Really? I would think the season premiere would make a quick mention of a divorce that occurred in offscreenville, with Megan nowhere to be seen.

• mrjimmyjames Mar 13, 2014

Hopefully this season will be much better than last season. Whatever magic they had the first 5 seasons, it wasn't quite there in season 6.

• WavSlave Mar 12, 2014

Perhaps AMC should start operating a dairy, given their vast experience in milking things for all they're worth.

• mrjimmyjames Mar 18, 2014

Careful, you may encourage a Thursday night reality show competition based upon the dairy.

• WavSlave Mar 18, 2014

"From the network that brought you 'Mad Men' comes ... 'Mad Cows'! These BSE SOBs will rain down udder destruction!"

• WavSlave Mar 18, 2014

This comment has been removed.

• withoutcanseco Mar 12, 2014

This show puts me to sleep faster than a lullaby.

• kryptonkalel27 Mar 12, 2014

Maybe it might be because your brain is underdeveloped.

• withoutcanseco Mar 15, 2014

That's a definite possibility.

• Eric10301 Mar 12, 2014

I hate that AMC feels the need to split final seasons so they can sell double the DVDs.

• thekaitling Mar 12, 2014

It worked out in Breaking Bad's favor, actually. Because it gave the writers extra time to figure out the way they wanted to end the show, and it gave them more time to write the episodes, etc. The two half seasons weren't written and filmed at once, but as two separate seasons entirely, so in a way it would be more accurate to say that Breaking Bad had six seasons. I believe Mad Men, however, filmed everything all at once, which does make it look as if it was done purely for monetary reasons and to stretch out Don Draper's saga for as long as possible. In this case, I agree that splitting the final season is complete crap.

• MarlboroMagpi Mar 13, 2014

If I have to wait one year to watch it, I am calling it a new season so to me Breaking bad had six seasons and Mad Man had eight.

• jerlouvis Mar 12, 2014

In the interview on tv.com with Matt Weiner today he says he is writing episode 9 of the final 14 or episode 2 of season 7b (whichever you prefer) right now,so that would indicate it was written in two 7 show arcs.Not trying to be contentious Kaitlin and I think that splitting the last season is a disservice to the show.

• thekaitling Mar 12, 2014

I'm not sure which interview you're referring to, but Matthew Weiner did confirm to Mo Ryan at Huffington Post that they're doing it all once. They are two separate arcs, but they're being written and filmed all at one time.

You didn't consult with ["Breaking Bad" creator] Vince Gilligan, "Hey, what's the deal with this split season?"
    You know what, his was a totally different circumstance. We're obviously doing [the split season] because "Breaking Bad" did it, but Vince did it for totally different reasons. He said, "I can't give you all those episodes at once, I need time off in between. I can give you some now and some later."

For us, we're doing them all at once. I've shut down production for three weeks to catch up on scripts -- that was planned in the schedule. But we're doing this all at once. I directed Episode 7 [which wrapped recently], we're taking a break in production and then we start shooting again at the end of March. It's been a very intense experience, and it can be hard to shift gears.

• jerlouvis Mar 12, 2014

http://www.tv.com/news/qanda-mad-men-creator-matthew-weiner-prepares-to-say-goodbye-to-don-draper-2027420113486016637/

In this interview he said he was writing episode 9 so I incorrectly assumed that there would be a much lengthier break thinking they would write all seven scripts and then shoot them accordingly.