Mystery Date

Episode Reviews (3)

Great

Atrocious...

By jthunders, Apr 17, 2012

sometimes i really wonder if i'm watching the same show. i've been a fan of Mad Men from the beginning. it's one of the best dramas of the last ten years. but to say this was a good hour of television is just plain wrong. that Don dream sequence with Madchen Amick (Twin Peaks) was embarrassing: i felt bad for the actors. and Henry's ridiculous mother and Sally. please. maybe the worst episode Mad Men has ever produced...

Mystery Date

By thefanof, Apr 15, 2012

It took a few weeks, but it looks like Mad Men is finally rounding into form. The only real complaint is that there was not nearly enough Pete or Roger in tonight's show.

They need to decide where they are taking things with Don, because the flashes of his old playboy self were fun to watch, but it also seems like the writers want to make his relationship with Megan work.

The Peggy scenes were fine, the actual pitch was solid, but anything involving Joan is just headscratching to me.moreless

Mystery Date is exactly what Mad Men is about, a dramatic piece of the American 60's.

By timram, Apr 09, 2012

Its July 1966 in the aftermath of the Chicago Richard Speck murders which puts an uneasy and suspicious mood and effect on women around the country, including the brave Peggy. Don, however, has a different ailment (literally) as he is fighting two battles: a terrible flu that he's suppressing with aspirin, and the hardest of all, attempting to stay loyal to his new wife Megan when an old flame comes back to reality. While all this is going to Dons head he has yet another fly to swat, the ever annoying Michael Ginsberg who can never seem to keep his mouth shut for his own good personally and professionally. Also in SCDP, is the ever growing friction between Roger and Pete and it seems Pete is increasingly getting under Rogers skin, and is succeeding. Outside of the office we have Dons daughter Sally's hate-filled relationship with her new strict Grandmother, Pauline which grows into an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" situation when the ever curious Sally questions the Chicago murders. In a dramatic sub plot, Greg makes his return from Vietnam along with a concerned Joan about her husband's ever growing loyalty to the army. Also amidst the background of the episode we see, as we have throughout this new season, the cultural change between races in and out of the work force with Peggy befriending Don's new black secretary, Dawn. With brewing conflicts, historically relevant issues, some unexpected twist and turns, old temptations that die hard and even surprising heartwarming moments emerging from tragic events, Mystery Date is exactly what Mad Men is about, a dramatic piece of the American 60's that never ceases to amaze its legion of loyal fans.

moreless