The Arrangements

Episode Reviews (4)

Great

Sally Draper gets some screen-time.

By JaCkKbAuEr2424, Apr 29, 2012

It's a testament to how powerful Mad Men is as a show that my favorite story arc of the season so far isn't Don Draper or Peggy Olsen or Pete Campbell, but instead Sally Draper's plot. I don't know why Sally's plot suddenly became so interesting to me, but after "The Arrangements" ended, I was actually excited to see where the writers would take her next. After Sally gets closer and closer to her grandfather, Gene ends up collapsing in a grocery store and passes away. When Sally learns this, she grows withdrawn until she hears her family laughing in the living room in regards to a memory about Gene. Sally grows furious that her family is laughing when Gene is dead and never coming back. She watches TV, staring intently at the screen as they show a photo of a man who set himself on fire.

This is a very effective way to not only bring the plot involving Sally and Gene to a close but also an efficient way to bring a new plot in: the maturing of Sally Draper. I'm not sure how much time the show will cover, but Sally is quickly becoming an interesting aspect of the show, something I wouldn't have thought before.

Meanwhile, the stuff at Sterling Cooper wasn't holding my interest as much as it usually was, but it was still great. We had Pete bringing in a new account, one for the sport jai alai.. Now, maybe it's just because I know nothing about this sport or what it is, but I didn't care too much about it. And Peggy's plot, where she looks for a new roommate, was funny and gave Joan a great little moment where she gives advice to Peggy on getting a good roommate, but it didn't feel all that important in the long run.

However, one thing I loved is Peggy announcing to her mom that she's moving to New York. It was a heart-breaking scene to watch the mom chastise Peggy like that.

If I had more time, I'd write about other aspects, but overall, the episode was strong.. definitely my favorite of the season.moreless

Bah.

By thefanof, Dec 14, 2010

Forgettable, irrelevant and random. That pretty much describes this episode of Mad Men. Why was Grandpa Gene killed off? I didn't care much for him, but come on, people did like him and there was no reason to do this. Just lame writing that I am sure some people will describe as art, but is really just slow and boring.

I didn't get around to watching this episode until about a week after, and now I know why I put it off for so long. This show is just not as intriguing as it once was and is not near the top dramas on TV.moreless

Betty's dad Gene dies, Peggy moves to Manhattan, Pete brings in a loaded client...

By sequoa84, Sep 09, 2009

Mad Men continues to shock us at intermittent periods, be it Sally Draper playing spaceman with a plastic bag or Bobby handling a meat cutting knife. I know children do not watch this show, but nevertheless it is something they should keep off. I don't plan on writing how slow the show is -TV.com has written a million articles about it. Rather, I would be happy if columnists wrote about the positive aspects of it. Pete brings in a new client this time, and earns the trust of Pryce and the Brits. Peggy takes another step in the direction of becoming a bold woman. She decides to rent an apartment in Manhattan and has a hard time convincing her mother to let her go.

Don had a minor role this time around. His only big job was to talk a client out of giving business to Sterling Cooper, and he fails to execute that. The biggest storyline this time around was Gene's death. It will be interesting to see what effect it has on Sally.

Other storylines such as Sal finding it hard to show love to his wife, failing at his directorial debut, and Joan giving Peggy the much needed advice were some good filler ones. Decent episode.moreless