The Gold Violin

Episode Reviews (5)

Great

the old days...

By marlajulia, Nov 07, 2013

Wow, that garbage disposal after the picknick left me shocked....

They get a new account.

By thefanof, Sep 13, 2011

This episode looked as if it may have been different, maybe s little more adventurous and a little more action-packed. We had sneaking around and a flashback of "Don" working as a carsalesman. All the pieces were in place for an interesting episode, yet something went wrong.

Ken was given too much screentime, Pete was non-existent, and the insufferable Jimmy Barrett was brought back yet again. The show creates the mystique and aura of the 1960's, but the originality just ceases to exist. The plots are as predictable as they are overused and the character development is as slow as a glacier (they take 1000 years to freeze, for those that do not know).moreless

Sal longs for Ken. Don's wife is starting to final have real doubts. The Boss is going after younger women again. The geeky guy is getting to know the crazy other boss.

By hastings66, Aug 11, 2010

I liked this episode. The littering scene was great. Sal ignoring his girl was classic. Sal saying, "he doesn't care," when she tried to talk was perfect. The Don and Jimmy scene works perfect after last week when Don left Jimmy's wife and a few weeks back freaking out while shaving. They could have continued Peggy's and Pete's stories a little more. Overall a lot of the same, but in a good way. This is one of the few shows I watch. I love the atmosphere and style more than the story even. Don is my new favorite character. I am hoping "Sons of Anarchy" delivers because with no "Sporanos" and Lost in recess "Mad Men" and MLB is all I have to watch.moreless

Don's affair comes to a head. Jane and Joan square off. Sal invites Ken to dinner

By guyroy1971, Aug 11, 2010

This episode was the payoff (spoiler) to the whole Jimmy storyline as he really gets his revenge on Don. I stated in the last review it looked like Don was about to be caught, and I was right. For the first time in the show, his wife now has an inkling about her husband's double life. (hence the flashback to when he sold cars and was called out by a woman who knew he wasn't who he said. It paralelled his new double life of being unfaithful)

I thought Jimmy was annoying, but his turning his smiling persona off to vent then turning it back on after telling Don's wife about his knowledge of Don's affair, then dumping on Don, was really well done.

Jane was fired but got her job back after appealing to slater. I believe she will regret that decision as Slater is not one not to take advantage of that situation. (as Joan knows very well, which is why I think she dropped it after she found out how Jane was still there)

The show's showing the different mores of the time was again highlighted by the Sal storyline (closeted and repressed gay and the casual attitude towards littering. Many of the comments on this episode were shocked by it, but people did not really care about littering until the late eighties or so. (when I was little, my dad often casually threw trash out the window of his car..lol)

I believ Betty is about to act on some of the offers she had from other guys throughout this season now she knows that Don's cheating. I also agree with another on here that Duck seems to be careening towards a bad end.moreless