News Briefs: TNT Is Developing a Major Crimes Spin-off

By Tim Surette

May 21, 2014

SPIN-OFF OF A SPIN-OFF NEWS

... It's spin-off inception! TNT is planning a spin-off of its The Closer spin-off Major Crimes, with a planted pilot episode in the works for Major Crimes' upcoming third season. The series would center on Special Agent Fritz Howard (John Tenney), who originated on The Closer and has appeared in a handful of Major Crimes episodes. There's also a chance that Malcolm Jamal Warner's Lt. Chuck Cooper could appear, according to some little birdies. Look for the planted pilot to air as the seventh episode of Major Crimes third season, which debuts June 9. [TV Line]

BUSINESS TIME

... The end-of-season ratings are in, and NBC can proudly crack open its box of wine and celebrate! The Peacock finished in first place in the 18-to-49 demographic with a 2.7 average rating for the 2013-2014 season, marking the networks first first-place finish in a decade. Fox took second with a 2.5, followed by CBS with a 2.4 and ABC with a 2.1. CBS once again held on to the title of "most-watched network," winning the total viewers contest with an average of 10.7 million viewers. NBC placed second with 9.3 million, followed by ABC with 7.65 million and Fox with 7.35 million. [TV Line

... Showtime is developing a nifty-sounding series called Control Alt Delete from Simeon Goulden, who created the U.K. comedy Spy. Check out this logline: Four smartass workaholic associates at a law firm try their darnedest to move up the corporate ladder while also trying to avoid becoming the next victim of the office serial killer. WHOA that got heavy at the end there! It's like Workaholics meets Dexter. I'll be keeping an eye on this one. [Deadline]

... Enlisted is coming back to television! But just to air its remaining four episodes. Fox has announced the return date for the military comedy that was canceled—to the disappointment of many—in early May. Fox will air one episode per week starting Sunday, June 1 at 7pm, or 1900 hours if you're a true fan. [TV Line

... El Rey has released the first trailer for Matador, the network's second original program. It's about a pro soccer player who's actually an undercover CIA agent. And it looks totally loco.

... It's the question on everyone's mind: How did Maya Rudolph's variety show The Maya Rudolph Show do on Monday night in the ratings? I know I've been agonizing over it for at least 12 seconds. Well, it did well! Sorta. Thanks to a hefty lead-in from The Voice, an average of 7.2 million viewers tuned in, good for a 2.2 rating in the 18-to-49 demo. That won the 10pm hour. However, it appears viewers quickly tuned out, as the special's second half-hour lost more than 20 percent of its audience, from 8.35 million and a 2.4 down to 6.11 million and a 1.9. Will that be enough to convince NBC to order more of The Maya Rudolph Show? Would YOU order more? [Hitfix]  

... The other question that is on everyone's mind: When will the Teen Choice Awards air? Sunday, August 10 at 8pm on Fox. Get them abs ready! [Fox via press release]

... Disney Channel has renewed Jessie for a fourth season. Snapchat your little sister and tell her! [Disney Channel via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... Juliette Lewis has been cast in the Jem and the Holograms movie in a mystery role. Who do you think she'll play? Jem's holographic fairy godmother Synergy? A member of one of those rival bands? Old Jem who is narrating the story HIMYM-style? Lewis will also be appearing in Fox's upcoming Wayward Pines and  ABC's upcoming Secrets and Lies. [Deadline]

... Six Feet Under's Lauren Ambrose has joined the cast of Dig, the six-episode mini in the works at USA. The project comes from Heroes' Tim Kring and Homeland's Gideon Raff and follows an FBI agent who uncovers a 2,000-year-old conspiracy while investigating the murder of an American archaeologist in Jerusalem. Jason Isaacs, Anne Heche, and David Costabile also star. There's no word on a premiere date yet. [THR]

HORRIBLE NEWS

... Former The Shield actor Michael Jace has been accused of murdering his spouse during a domestic dispute at their home in Los Angeles. Jace, who played LAPD officer Julien Lowe on the Shawn Ryan drama, allegedly shot his wife, April, multiple times on Monday evening. Jace has a history of domestic violence with his previous wife. [LA Times]

RECENT STORIES YOU MAY HAVE MISSED ON TV.COM

... Kaitlin went to CBS's summer press day and got the scoop on the next season of Under the Dome! Here are six things to expect when it returns. (Hint: Yeah bitch, magnets!)

... Lily watched The Bachelorette and has all the scoop on this season's contestants, including a "pantstrapreneur," a party-crasher, and a man who had a breakdown.

... You can now listen to the Girl Meets World theme song and watch the opening credits.

... If you like to be totally grossed out, watch these teasers for FX's upcoming vampire drama The Strain

... Need to learn more about that Bones finale? Check out this postmortem with one of the executive producers!

... And in case you missed it, here's MaryAnn's review of the Warehouse 13 series finale.

• Comments (17)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • vulcanuck May 22, 2014

Wow! Julien? He was the nicest guy on the Shield! So sad,

• Mate May 21, 2014

Interesting way to go TNT. A spinoff that no one asked for from a spin off that no one asked for. How very NBC law and order of you or CBS CSI or you.

And a soccer playing CIA agent. Is he going to run around a field for 90 minutes and bore his adversaries to death?

• vicbjones May 21, 2014

I'm kind of shocked about NBC and Fox finishing first and second in the ratings, even if it's only in the 18-49 demo. I think I only watched two or three episodes of The Blacklist, and I can't think of any shows I've watched on Fox since season 1 of The Following. Are any of the posters on this site who made comments along the lines of "nobody at NBC knows how to run a network" in a mood to apologize? I doubt it.

Does the "Recent Items" section at the bottom mean you have fewer items to fill out the News Briefs or is it a desperate attempt to get more hits on individual articles?

• ted2332 May 21, 2014

I like The Closer and Major Crimes, I probably watch Fitz too.
    Matador - a pro soccer player who's actually an undercover CIA agent.
    Every time he gets hit he screams and falls to the ground clutching his knee :)

• fweak May 21, 2014

Control Alt Delete sounded boring, up until the end of the description. I'll give it a try.
    Glad to be seeing the final Enlisted episodes. It was a funny show

• mipharell87 May 21, 2014

Fritz wthout Brenda, no thanks.

• ShintiaSilvia May 21, 2014

Can't wait to see fritz....hope brenda will show up too

• Placebo_obecalP May 21, 2014

Almost missed the Michael Jace news, damn that's shocking, Julien was an interesting and complex character, if he did murder his wife I hope he gets the needle.

• Placebo_obecalP May 21, 2014

John Tenney should still be doing King and Maxwell, never should have been cancelled, loved that show :(

• bluemorphotat May 21, 2014

I liked the show too! They had a funny chemistry but as JT_Kirk says below, Tenney needs somebody to play off with otherwise he gets a tad boring! The stronger the other personality the better...

• Placebo_obecalP May 22, 2014

Yep true, and it can't be some attractive female he has a vibe with, cos we know he's married, which will be interesting, will they explain that? Maybe kill her off? Would be better for the story TBH.

• lynna12000 May 21, 2014

The casting for 'Dig' should make for a good series. Hopefully, they have writers up to the task.

I never liked the Fitz character to start with. I wouldn't mind watching a series with Malcom Jamal Warner and some of the other characters. But Fitz just doesn't have enough charisma to carry the show.

• See More Comments (3)