Major Crimes

Show Reviews (53)

Great

Episode and Rusty

By JaDaam, Yesterday

I think this episode was the first episode of the new show that was really good. I mean on the level of scripting I had expected after watching "The Closer". I do not need hard hitting violence, but I do expect a good crime drama with periods of comic relief or personal depth.

Over the past 2 seasons it has been all about Rusty, his testimony, evolution of a new life and the changes in Provenza/squad as they all took on a more paternalistic role. That was all good, but it was too much. Was he supposed to be the replacement for Brenda's family?

It became so much this season that whenever I saw him on the screen, I skipped over the dialog. I did not care to hear him at all. I wanted to focus on the crime drama not his personal issues.

But that was me, my wife liked him.moreless

My $0.02

By bipity, Jul 24, 2014

I still like the show well enough to watch but it could have been sooo much better. I don't hate the Rusty character but I can see why so many do. My gripe is that he crowds out the old cast. The spinoff should have been a golden opportunity to expand their roles. If anything, the opposite has happened - they almost might as well be gone along with Brenda. Provenza is little more than Rusty's chaperone these days. I thought we had seen the last of Rusty but it doesn't look like he's going the way of Wil Wheaton anytime soon.

As for Raydor, she's an OK character but should not have taken over the show so completely. The Closer was much more balanced, especially when you factor in the departed Pope and Gabriel.

[Edit 24Jul2014} I wish I could add new posts instead of editing the old one. The 21Jul2014 episode was a vast improvement. Rusty was appropriately peripheral. Julio got shot (again) because -and only because - he was warned not to use his weapon for "legal liability" reasons. The pacing was excellent, and all cast members - even Sykes - were incorporated into the action. I didn't follow why Fritz had to be the one to blow the perp's brains out, but it was satisfying to see him do it so dispassionately. More episodes like this could turn a borderline spinoff into a bona fide hit in its own right.

moreless

Awesome Police Episode.

By tryptz, Jul 24, 2014

I thought this was pretty great show of the capability of the LAPD. I thought wow at the resources and planning they can deploy. Most impressive. Am not sure its real but they sure looked great in this episode. Something tells me there's the beginnings of a spin-off in all of this.

Two options, july 21 episode the best

By srasmu, Jul 23, 2014

I think this week's episode, Two Options, was the best Major Crimes that has been made so far. It felt like The Closer and was back to police work. Of course having Fritz active in the show always helps. The way the filming was handled was outstanding. Helicopters, police on the scene and in the department, all working together. Loved it. What I didn't like was the woman in the red jacket who was a DA I think. Bad actress and added nothing. They could have just gone with the Chief's input and been fine. Hope Fritz ends up joining the show permanently. I agree that Rusty is annoying. He needs to go off to college and off the show!moreless

leave Rusty alone

By farsia2010, Jul 15, 2014

Honesty, you all will hate me for this but I don't care. Just wanna say it.

Rusty is the best thing that happened to this show since Major Crimes kicked off!

Ever since Brenda left all the energy in the show just died. Brenda made everybody shine. She is such an amazing and charismatic actress that she infused every scene she was in with such buzzing energy that there was plenty to go around and make other actor combust with it. Sheron was a good character while she was in the Closer because she played well with Brenda but alone she brings the energy down. They have crowded her face with hair and glasses so much to cover up her age that you barely see the acting. Provenza is just old now (don't get me wrong I love him but still) everyone is old and heavy and it seems like the actors are not excited by their jobs anymore. Rusty is young, fresh, sympathetic and adds lightness even if his story is heavy the actor manages to bring energy in other wise dull show. I mean come on, I dare you to watch the first 3 or 4 eps of season 1 Closer and then any ep of Major crimes. See the difference?

moreless

RUSTYS WORLD , YIKES

By Morselewis, Jul 08, 2014

Alas, where is The Closer, This kid is absolutely annoying. Lets get back to the crime solving & the

banter between the detectives. Perhaps they are after the TWEEN demographics, I am just about ready to

chuck it after never missing an episode of the Closer & Major Crimes. Last nights was so boring

Bad acting, Bad dialogue

How many more times?

By raymondjpg, Jul 08, 2014

You have to wonder if this Rusty character is meant to deliberately annoy the audience. Or does the actor who plays him have a powerful relative in charge of the production?

What is the little twerp as a civilian doing in the middle of the Major Crimes Incident Room listening to intimate details of a murder case, then relaying it to his psychiatrist?

How many more times. We don't care about Rusty. The character is intrusive and gets in the way of things which make the show worth watching. Get rid of him already!moreless

Rusty is human factor for the show, less of a cop show.

By benmiller50, Jul 08, 2014

This is the best writing, best acting show on TV today. People get hung up on Rusty, but he just makes Sharon shine. With all the stress, she can just calmly answer his questions. I am not always sure why it is important for us to see the show from Rusty's prospective, but this is still fantastic and worth waiting for.

Major crimes

By Dcasey, Jul 08, 2014

I enjoyed the show. Will not be watching it again. Ruined it with Rusty.

Enough of the Sharon and Rusty Show

By scsales, Jun 30, 2014

I was tired of the Rusty character last year, now we are building the character further. I can appreciate actors want jobs and empathize with that aspect, but the "major crime" appears to be perpetrated on the audience. If the producers believed this would add humanity to the former internal affairs officer's life, it is not working for me. Rusty is an unwanted distraction. Can we focus on police work again?

Load More Reviews