Watch the First Trailer for WGN America's Atomic Bomb Drama Manhattan (VIDEO)

By Jen Trolio

Apr 18, 2014

With WGN America's first original scripted series—the Shane West-fronted witch drama Salem—set to debut this weekend, the network is already looking ahead to its next project, Manhattan. Due to premiere this summer with a 13-episode first season, Manhattan gets its name from the storied Manhattan Project (a.k.a. the U.S. government's efforts to build the world's first atomic bomb in Los Alamos, New Mexico during World War II) and "follows the brilliant but flawed scientists and their families as they attempt to co-exist in a world where secrets and lies infiltrate every aspect of their lives." Created and written by Masters of Sex scribe Sam Shaw, the period piece boasts a promising cast that includes John Benjamin Hickey (The Big C, The Good Wife), Olivia Williams (Dollhouse), Ashley Zukerman (Terra NovaRush), Daniel Stern (Marv from Home Alone!), Rachel Brosnahan (Jolene from The BlacklistHouse of Cards), and more. Here's the first trailer:  

So like, The Americans but in the 1940s? Whaddaya think? Does Manhattan look good to you?

• Comments (23)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • sharid57 Jun 01, 2014

1. i cant get the shift key to work here or the function key so capitalization and most punctuation isnt going to work for this so no grammar police please. 2. i do not go by trailers much because of the way they are constructed to either tell the whole story as the appetizer before you ever get to the meat of the matter or they dont tell enough of it to get a real feel for the whole thing. they need to learn better how to sell the sizzle without giving away the steak. 3. as an example of the kind of story that tells from the viewpoint of colonel paul tibbets who piloted the enola gay which carried the first bomb dropped of the two check out above and beyond which has recently been shown on turner classic movies as part of their memorial day tribute. it addresses these very issues and was made immediately following the release of the classified information involved in the research and development and the mission which followed as these circumstances affected his relationships with his wife and young family as well as his staff and crew and superiors during the time leading up to the first bomb drop. 4. as long as there are believable characters and storylines along with accurate portrayals of family and military dynamics without losing sight of the importance of accurate wardrobe and hairstyles and makeup as well as decor and other scenery that can be so terribly distracting when done wrong it should do very well. i am looking forward to seeing if it will come up to speed with the expectations of those of us who are familiar with what all those things should be. 5. the development and handling of the nuclear material was all done with terrifying amounts of ignorance at the time that watching these things in the light of hindsight is going to be difficult at best. and knowing the pandoras box they opened being so very clueless as to the effects on future civilizations will be hard to get past unless it is handled appropriately as well.

• kohleralex May 24, 2014

They better have a character based on feynman.

• PatrickMendoz2 May 06, 2014

i really love WGN stepping up and making orignal shows.

• adamonfire Apr 20, 2014

I like the way WGN is coming out of the gate, trying to emulate FX and AMC as opposed to network television even though they are a superstation.

• dxnlkiguert9o743t098 Apr 20, 2014

A modem day 'period' piece with nothing to offer. Should have got the writers from Spartacus to do this. The trailer was boring
    No Thanks!!

• nimd4 Jul 05, 2014

Looks like it might seriously blow. ;-$

• TriniMysTic Apr 20, 2014

I'm in.

• Laurpr2 Apr 20, 2014

Excited for this!

• TVFangirl84 Apr 19, 2014

Looks like a great show!!!!

• CKgirl Apr 19, 2014

Oh, the "Nuclear. Family" tag made me laugh so hard! I'm giving it a go just for that!

• oneSWEETphool41 Apr 19, 2014

So sequentially-by-spy, it's; Turn & Manhattan & The Americans & 24 & Homeland? Hold on, there's more than a century's worth of untold spy stories right there in the 1800's!

• See More Comments (7)