Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. at PaleyFest: Blue Man Blues, What the Show Shares With Ocean's Eleven, and More

By Kaitlin Thomas

Mar 24, 2014

The Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. panel at PaleyFest required a DNA sample, a blood oath to a guy who looked oddly similar to Joss Whedon, and a pop quiz just to get in the door. And while S.H.I.E.L.D. isn't quite as bad as Mad Men with regard to secrecy and spoilers—ABC and Marvel did screen the April 1 episode for everyone in attendance (hence the blood oath)—the panelists were pretty cagey when it came to releasing information about what's in store for the freshman series. However, they compensated for their lack of info with hugs for the audience, jokes about Agent Handsome getting it on with the ladies, and behind-the-scenes knowledge of the making of the series.

Gracing the stage were S.H.I.E.L.D. executive producers Jed Whedon, Maurissa Tancharoen, Jeffrey Bell, and Jeph Loeb, as well as cast members Clark Gregg, Ming-Na Wen, Brett Dalton, Chloe BennetIain De Caestecker, and Elizabeth Henstridge. And all I can say about the next new episode, "End of the Beginning," is that it's awesome and really sets things in motion for the rest of the season, which will air uninterrupted between April 1 and the season finale on May 13. Because of the secrecy surrounding what's to come, there wasn't much news to come out of the event, but I did collect eight fun facts to share with all of you!

8. You don't want to miss the April 8 episode, "Turn, Turn, Turn" because it's the first episode after the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and will deal with said events. 

7. The producers have the story mapped out through the end of Season 2, assuming the show gets renewed. They might even have an idea for Season 3, but aren't quite so set on something that far in the future.

6. Chloe Bennet is just as in-the-dark about the blue humanoid in the tube as we are, and she said she spends her free time scouring the internet and badgering the producers and people at Marvel in an attempt to figure out what it is: "I'm like, 'Am I this?' and They're like, 'Nope!'" 

5. The characters of Fitz and Simmons were based on Casey Affleck and Scott Caan's characters in Ocean's Eleven

4. When asked which Marvel character she'd like to share a scene with, Elizabeth Henstridge chose Loki. "[I'd like to] sit down, have a cup of tea, [and] talk about his daddy issues." 

3. Agent May was originally named Agent Rice, but when Ming-Na was cast in the role, the producers decided to to change the character's name so that it wouldn't be offensive.

2. Prior to joining S.H.I.E.L.D., Brett Dalton hadn't done any stunt work, but Maurissa Tancharoen said that she and her fellow EPs knew Dalton could adapt because he listed clown school on his resume. "He was the hottest dude at clown school," joked Clark Gregg.

1. Marvel is basically the real-world S.H.I.E.L.D. "This whole season has been one of jaw-dropping surprises," said Ming-Na. "The writers don't tell us anything. We try to get it out of them, and they won't tell us until we get the next script."

• Comments (46)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • XY Mar 25, 2014

Talk about wasted potential. They've got an amazing licence which they can use to tell a ton of interesting and catching stories but the first half of the first season barely touched on anything in the marvel universe. All we got was slow-paced characterization. Which - don't get me wrong - is something I can love about many shows when it's done carefully with thought and depth. However, due to the comic flair, the characters (Fitz/Simmons probably being the prime example, although it applies to all of them) feel shallow and predictable. What they should have done instead is to tell actual superhero stories. We didn't get much of that up until the last episodes. The show is really improving on that matter (the episode with the Asgardian was exactly a prototype of what we need every week imho) but it remains to be seen if they will actually be brave enough to show more often for what people actually tuned in for: an extension of the marvel movies and the story universe.

• mdoz34 Mar 24, 2014

interesting information... looking forward to more episodes.
    But i have to say this, Agent Rice is a horrible name, but if you changed it because you think it would of been offensive, you have an issue of thinking offensively. Is there an Agent Rice in the comics? Or was this just some writer saying, dammit, I cannot think of a name, but I am eating rice right now, so let's go with that.

• ltcomstella Mar 24, 2014

when will people stop assuming because it's marvel we get a film style production on the tv..no ! it doesn't work that way. this show is awesome at it deserves more seasons, unlike a lot of other other shows..

• XY Mar 25, 2014

I don't know. Do people really expect expensive CGIs and top notch production? For me personally, I expect them to incorporate more elements of the marvel universe and make the show's mythology larger as there is so much they can do with the license. That hasn't been done much until they returned from the last break.

• ltcomstella Mar 25, 2014

seems like they do expect it :P

i've enjoyed the show from the start, ok it had some issues, fitz simmons being super annoying at first coulson being rather stiff and any of his jokes felt forced. but it's grown up and feels alot more fluid. i reckon having a 'comic villian of the week' isn't going to work all the time, and it would feel like the show was only doing one thing, seems like they have at least done that to some degree with out it feeling repetative yet. i am a bit annoyed with this clairvoyant thing, it's been dragged out with little to none incentive, i half expect it to be a computer system or a group of people hooked up to some matrix style gizmo, some guy or gal acting all sinister would be a bit of let down lol

• MaschaC91 Mar 24, 2014

I love this series. Don't know why. It's prbably not rational at all, but I DO think it's well written... It's light, not too dark, has really nice humor - which even have a 'natural' feel to it - and actors who really fit their roles.

• MaschaC91 Mar 25, 2014

Oh, one more addition: I like that's it's not only about the Marvel superheroes, but has more to do with the 'real' world, real people. When I saw the first trailers and the first episode soon after, I was afraid every episode would be like 'oh, there's a brand new superhero, en (s)he is in trouble, and we're going to help them' and 'ah, there's a marvel superhero in trouble and we'll be there to rescue them'.
    I enjoyed all the stories so far, some better than others, but I might have to add that I didn't get into this series with the idea of a serie about marvel superheroes, I went in with the idea of a serie about humans ánd superpowers, ánd a lot of other crazy stuff. And that's what it is. Plus a lot of humor I REALLY enjoy. Plus a lot of drama, 'cause, hey, it's still ABC.

• tryptz Mar 24, 2014

'Sigh' I find it annoying when people say this show is improving. IT STILL SUCKS! They said Lady Sif coming was supposed to be great, it was lame and flat .
    Seriously with the wealth of material at their disposal this show ought to have been hitting heights. The writers are simply terrible. Compared to a show with a shoestring budget like Continnuum , the show is just an embarassment period.

• Hellspirit87 Mar 24, 2014

I'm glad the show picked up quality and momentum these last episodes, even if i still don't love it as I thought I would... But things after Cap 2 are bound to be crazy and mindblowing for the show! Can't. Wait.

• WildPict Mar 24, 2014

Ward went to clown school??!!! Why haven't they used his comedic skills??!!! That would liven up the show so much!

I'd love to sit down with Loki too. ;D

If this show is renewed, they definitely need to stop breaking it up.

I'm glad that the cast members are nice to their fans.

• JT_Kirk Mar 24, 2014

Good lord, everybody in the cast is the same short height except Ward!

Loki has a lot of reasonable daddy issues. Sorry Odin, shouldn't have been a jerk to the kid simply because he was adopted.

"Agent Rice", that would have been so awful.

Agent Ward went to clown school?!? HOLY SHITBALLS! Why isn't this getting used in the show? Why are they writing him so boring?!?

• RoverGuy Mar 24, 2014

I thought the same thing:

Producer #1: Okay we have enough actors that are 5' 9".
    producer #2: Right, we need diversity. Lets get a 6' 2" just to make some difference.

And Agent Ward did not go to clown school. The actor who plays him did. Just being pedantic.

• JT_Kirk Mar 25, 2014

And success there, for sure. Also, you don't KNOW that Agent Ward didn't go to clown school as well. Just being pedantic. ;-)

• RoverGuy Mar 24, 2014

This comment has been removed.

• Ouji-San Mar 24, 2014

not as good as Arrow for me.

I dont know Arrow gives me the hope for a live action Justice Leage.

this show already in the Avengers universe but still seems side tracked by stories never to be mentioned in the movies. i do enjoy it but its still has to grown if you know what i mean just cant put my fingure on it

• Guitarman59 Mar 24, 2014

maybe rather then have panels with discusssions you could put the dam episode on TV !!!!!!!!!!!! to many breaks, not going to watch anymore

• csinner Mar 24, 2014

Wouldn't suggest that. I was at the panel, and the next episode is AWESOME. I've at times found the show really boring, but the next episode really ups the stakes. Do yourself a favor and stay tuned.

• thekaitling Mar 24, 2014

I agree, the next episode is really great. You're not going to want to miss it!

• See More Comments (3)