Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Is It Me, Or Does Something About This New Trailer Feel a Bit Different? (VIDEO)

By Kaitlin Thomas

Aug 24, 2013

ABC released a new Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. trailer today, and it even includes footage of Cobie Smulders as Agent Maria Hill! But something feels a bit... off. The promo, while definitely shiny, doesn't exactly look it's teasing a Joss Whedon production. Where are the quips? What's with the music? Why aren't more things blowing up? This is not the Joss Whedon I know and love. 

However, knowing what we know about Firefly and Dollhouse (we're all in agreement that what happened to Firefly was Fox's fault, right?), maybe that's the point? Given that S.H.I.E.L.D. is the most highly anticipated new series of the fall, maybe ABC is trying to attract the attention of non-Whedon fans so that S.H.I.E.L.D. won't end up becoming another Joss Whedon failure*?

*Let the record show that I don't consider anything Joss Whedon does to be a failure, but I do understand how some people might watch Dollhouse and ask, WTF is this garbage?!

What do you think? Am I crazy? Or is there definitely something off in this trailer?

• Comments (155)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • AmyTeves Sep 08, 2013

I really miss firefly. Looking forward to agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I always liked the way Colson was so unimpressed by the egos of the superheroes. Except he was sort of a fan of Captain America.

• aeneuman1 Sep 01, 2013

awful music

• cinthy_11 Aug 26, 2013

I loved dollhouse!!!! eliza dushku is so awesome, she played a different character every episode that is acting!!! and tahmoh hot, enough said.

• wingsabre Aug 26, 2013

The thing about Dollhouse and Firefly is it's somewhat contained. They were serialized with a definite end. His more successful work like Buffy and Angel were more open ended. I think Shield will be more open ended and episodic in nature.

• rscholten2 Aug 26, 2013

Dollhouse was great... shame they stopped it

• stevei Aug 26, 2013

Dollhouse did not explain itself fast enough, I think. Whedon's problem is he thinks he has all this time to explain things and draw out plotlines but Americans have the attention spans of mayflies. Story arcs should never be more than 2 or 3 shows long.

• stevei Aug 27, 2013

I should have explained this better. I meant short(2-3 episode arcs) within the framework of 1(and only one) seasonal arc. And as to America; you guys can obviously read and write relatively well to be on this website as well as use a computer which is not the norm for alot of America. My personal opinion is that about 30 to 40 percent of America hovers somewhere between ignorant and stupid.

• CameronCole Aug 26, 2013

Shows like Breaking Bad would never make it if what you are saying is true. IMO, a large audience in America is ready for Hollywood to stop making rehashes of 80s action shows.

• kanniballl Aug 26, 2013

2 or 3 shows? seriously? 100% of Americans don't have ADD; granted network shows tend to be more short-term-focused than cable but 2-3 for a mysterious thing is too little.

I'm OK with season-long story arcs. Heck I'm also OK with multi-season story arcs so long as each season makes progress.

2 or 3 episodes doesn't give you any time. That's at most ~120 minutes (3 x 40-ish) That might be good enough for "Who REALLY murdered this person" type of mystery but not a bit mysterious thing. Lost / Dollhouse / Babylon 5 / loads of shows that had season-long or multi-season-long arcs.

• Ramok1 Aug 26, 2013

Who relay cares what the new or old trailer looks like it's, S.H.I.E.L.D, it's Whedon your going to watch it regardless. Stop torching your self with what if and just wait and see.

• terminaltrip421 Aug 26, 2013

that was dreadful. reminds me of the oddly touted musical usage of the americans' pilot which successfully set me up to not enjoy the rest of the season. being a super hero show on TV with the movies to compare it to already has me skeptical. so any tinkering could probably easily turn me off of the show.

• terminaltrip421 Aug 26, 2013

and on the firefly front, it was fun enough for what it was but when compared to IMO much more deserving shows that have ended it's no surprise what so ever that it was cancelled.

• LeBuzzE Aug 26, 2013

But the americans was quite good too bad your hard on yourself for missing lots of good shows. I understand your point of view and agree except for the flaw that you don't seem to want to give a chance to a show, I get there's a lot of tv going around much like reviewing candidates for a job depending on the model to select them you are either gonna do a good decision or pass on something great in the end. I agree mostly with you just not on the americans lol

• shocker713 Aug 25, 2013

I'm not one for thumping the Bible, but even Jesus himself said, "It is not the well who need a doctor, but the sick." ABC doesn't need to air promos to attract people who are almost already guaranteed to be watching. They need to air promos that attract the audience that DIDN'T say "I'm totally there!" when the show was first announced and didn't even have a cast.

• KayWatkins Aug 25, 2013

Yes, DEFINITELY. Just looks like another ABC drama promo. These scenes would not make me interested so thank goodness that the prior trailer was good (in addition to this being a Whedon creation).

• See More Comments (102)