MasterChef

Good
7.6

Getting More Fake by the Minute

By hannahreed792740, Oct 19, 2014

Master Chef has got to be one of my all-time favorite shows. However, this season managed to tick me off and made it almost unbearable to watch the last episode of the season five.

Let's face it, there are many fake components to Master Chef- because honestly what reality show out there isn't fake, but Joe brought a whole new level of scripting, favoritism, or whatever you would like to call it to the show. The show has had a few- but minor- falters in the past that I could easily shrug the shoulder to and ignore but season 5, on the other hand, has managed to fall on it's face from the moment the transparency of Joe's actions became so visible Gordon Ramsay could not ignore it. No, I am not denying that Courtney is a good chef, but she let the pressure get to her in the third round. Her dishes did not outshine Elizabeth's in any sort of way. Both were running a neck to neck race for they both had an equal share of flaws in their dishes; however, Elizabeth nailed her dessert spot on and Courtney made the fatal- almost amateur- mistake of adding salt to her cherry sauce. Both Grahm and Gordan hated the dish and were very logical with why the components did not work, but Joe scrambled for excuses and defended Courtney's dishes like a loyal, subservient puppy. He desperately came up with illogical, far-fetched excuses as to why the dish makes sense and only came up with 'it's a new idea and I think I could accept it'. There was a look of such desperation in his eyes and it is as if he knew himself that the dish sucked and that his efforts would not be enough to place Courney in first place. As the camera panned out, one could catch the puzzled, shocked, and disappointed face of Ramsay, who knew that Joe was pulling excuses out of his ass. Even from the very start, Joe had such favoritism towards Courtney one couldn't help but wonder if something had happened behind the scenes for such a hard shelled judge like Joe to become so smitten with this ex-stripper or that she so often appealed to Joe's high and valued Italian nature. Either way, Joe showed much favoritism to Courtney it was apparent to Ramsay and Grahm, who showed absolute disapproval and disappointment in the final round.

Reality shows all have a certain amount of scripting, but for it to go to the extreme of a judge so obsessed with one contestant that it is obvious to his fellow judges is too much. Usually they have good reasons as to why a contestant is chosen, but for season 5 it didn't have me sold. I'm smart enough to know that you have to have more than high heels, make-up, a cute voice and a smitten judge to be a true winner.

moreless

Rigged

By dogpack1373, Sep 19, 2014

OK so two seasons ago a blind girl against all odds wins the show to win the hearts of America, last season a young Italian man who wasn't even good enough to make the previous season wins a spot on the show only to struggle and seemingly fail only to come from behind and win it all... this season a girl who was forced to strip to make money (because there were no other ways to make money) went from the lowest of lows (in her mind anyway) to rise above it all and prove to America that even a striper can cook... do the contestants get a script in advance or do the judges keep it to themselves... but they must get the script... Lesley on the eve of making the final two mixes up SALT and SUGAR... really, he couldn't tell the two containers apart.moreless

Disappointed with MasterChef and Courtney winning

By rubyw1230, Sep 17, 2014

Unfortunately, I am completely turned off forever by MasterChef because Courtney won. I have watched every MasterChef show and loved the show. I have never written a review like this but I just saw the final episode and Courtney is completely fake, not sure if it's her make up, high heels, voice but she was absolutely judged differently than the other contestants - Joe's critiques in particular bothered me. Her food seemed average in most challenges. The whole show seemed staged this season, like Courtney was the chosen winner from the beginning and it makes me sad. Fox and Masterchef has lost a fan. . if Elizabeth writes a cook book, I will buy it!

moreless

Joe was Smitten by a Fake

By mrsmjparker, Sep 16, 2014

I am never watching Master Chef again. Joe was SO beyond Smitten with Courtney that I feel the challenges were guided by her strengths. The 3 cake challenge was right up her alley and Courtney's fate was decided from the beginning. Can she cook? Sure, but she was not as consistent as many of the chefs and she was so fake with her smiles and things she said. She pretends to be from some other 1950's housewife mentality. She lives in Philly but NOT in the real world. This show is fake and I wont watch againmoreless

Winner Decided from Episode 3

By JustinRichard, Sep 15, 2014

It has been so far beyond obvious that they are going to hand Courtney the win. While she may be a decent cook, every time that she has stumbled, it has been brushed over and never touched. Drives me nuts that this adult entertainer/reformed is going to win because she is hot and has a from zero to hero ambition.

Not judging fair

By WillardVia, Sep 14, 2014

I have NEVER missed an episode of Master Chef since you all started. BUT this season I am really disappointed in all 3 judges. Hear is the reason, I have NEVER seen all 3 chefs favor one contestant on the show, so why is it like that this year? I am referring to Corney,WHAT is this guys???? When other chef that made one mistake you sent home, BUT the night she made a BIG mistake on her dish you kept her. What was that all about. I am very upset over this season, but I know now who is going to win this year, but I will finish watching until season is completed. AS I said, I've never missed a episode and will not stop now, BUT you 3 chef's should not have showed so much favor toward this one contestant, that not fair, just like last wk, her and Elizabeth dishes did not come up to all the standards in fact their food was not worth eating per all of you, BUT you kept them both, only because you did not want to let Corney go-even after you all stood there and told Christen and guy from TX, that they presented the best dishes of their time on the show, they had to do the press test-this shows how you (all 3) are not judging correctly. Another point I want to make is she has stated she does not want to cook she wants to be a person that goes and test other people's food and write reviews. Also I know those shoes she wears every week cost about $200.00 or more and if she can buy those costly shoes she does not need the money. There are more than one person that needs to win for their families, and need the money and the cookbook deal. The rest of the contestants wants a food cooking career not Corney she wants to put down other people cooking, She stated that herself on TV. Well I have said my mind, BUT I want to also say Gordon and the other 2 judges are great, Also Gordon, your Hotel Hell, and Hell's Kitchen are never missed in my house, make some more shows like these. Thanks for reading this at least I hope you will read it.moreless

RE: Where does all the food go?

By TonyNewbury0, Aug 18, 2014

A little bird tells me that the crew and contestants tend to devour any left over food unless it's really bad. In which case it gets thrown out. Any large quantities that aren't used goes to homeless shelters. As for the format, it's moved more towards drama and conflict and less about skill. it's so different to the UK version. which is totally based on skill and technique, but I love both the US and UK versions.

Pungeant Oder

By allenstuckey, Jul 18, 2014

The show is starting to "smell" like other reality shows. Where you create hostility between contestants. Putting in situations where you COMPOUND extra stress and difficult personalities together.

I liked the ore when you focused on skill, and build up people. Teach them where they were lacking. When the teams were falling apart, the hosts should have stepped in and showed them how it is done, not fan the flames. I find the hostility between the home cooks annoying...

Not a good show

By manic123x, Jul 16, 2014

I find this show painful to watch. This show is based on the amazing Australian Masterchef. If you want to see amazing amateur cooks that is the show to watrch. It celebrates amazing cooks with a true passion for food. I really don't like the contrived drama that is so pronounced in this show. It's OK for Hell's Kitchen, but the insults and humiliation that they bestow upon these people is outrageous. These are not fantastic cooks, they are good cooks with huge egos who are willing to suffer the insults to be on TV. On a recent episode of the AU show, the pressure test was to replicate a chefs particular signature dish without tasting or seeing the dish, based only upon a food critics review of the dish. To see the dish Google Masterchef AU and look for food art week 10. The dish was Town Mouse and there are 44 separate elements in the dish.moreless

Please answer this question for me:

By donnajeansherrard, Jun 19, 2014

I love this show but what concerns me is this: Where does all that perfectly good food go with all the hungry people in our country? Please don't tell me you throw it out!

Load More Reviews