News Briefs: Breaking Bad's Betsy Brandt Is Joining Masters of Sex

By Tim Surette

Mar 19, 2014

DAMMIT MARIE THEY'RE NOT DILDOS THEY'RE SEXUAL INSTRUMENTS!

... Breaking Bad's Betsy Brandt (she played Marie) has landed a decidedly sexier new gig following her role as housewife on the deceased The Michael J. Fox Show. Brandt is joining the second season of Showtime's Masters of Sex on a recurring basis; she'll play William Masters' (Michael Sheen) new secretary. Obviously that means Masters' lab will be full of purple vibrators now. [THR]

BUSINESS TIME

... Comedy Central's Nathan For You, one of the funniest shows on the air (fact), will debut its second season on June 24, according to some guy named "Nathan Fielder." [Nathan Fielder's Twitter]

... OWN has canceled Our America With Lisa Ling a few months before its Season 5 premiere. The series follows Ling as she reports on personal stories all over this wonderful story-rich country of ours. Season 5 debuts on May 29. [TV Guide]

... DirecTV's exclusive drama Rogue has a Season 2 premiere date: Wednesday, May 28 at 10pm. While I'm here I may as well tell you what it's about since I didn't even know: Thandi Newton stars as an undercover detective in San Francisco who's trying to balance life and work. There you go! [DirecTV via press release]

... Do yourself a favor and don't even read what I'm about to write because it will bum you out. Okay, last chance to move on to the next item. Last last chance! TLC will air a one-hour special that "catches up" with Kate Plus 8's Kate Gosselin and her spawn in June. I warned you. [TLC via press release]

... Were you waiting for casting news on CBS's comedy pilot Taxi-22? Well, you're going to have to wait a lot longer. Taxi-22, an adaptation of a Canadian series that was being developed by the late James Gandolfini, has been pushed back to next season's development cycle due to difficulties casting the lead role. [Deadline Hollywood]

CASTING NEWS

... David Cross is going to die! On TV! Cross has been cast as the dead boss of Fox's comedy pilot Dead Boss, which stars Jane Krakowski of a woman who's wrongly accused of murdering her boss. The project is an adaptation of a BBC3 series, and you can bet your behind that it will appear on the 2014 edition of my annual list of pilots I want to see get made. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Another pilot that already has Tim's stamp of approval based on name association alone: FX's How and Why, from Being John Malkovich screenwriter Charlie Kaufman. And now it's added Catherine Keener (who starred in Malkovich) and Oscar-nominee Sally Hawkins (Blue Valentine) to join the previously announced John Hawkes and Michael Cera. Hawkes plays the host of a children's science show (think science guy Billy Nye) who gets fired from his job and starts a new show in a small town with a smaller TV market... and then somehow encounters the supernatural world. [Deadline Hollywood

... Fox's hip-hop drama pilot Empire is loading up on cast members at a rate so alarming that before we know it, we all might part of the show as well. The latest addition is R&B singer Macy Gray, who will play a woman who's having an affair with a younger man. She joins an IMDB page that already includes Terrence Howard, Taraji P. Henson, and Gabourey Sidibe, and Timbaland as music director. [The Wrap]

... The second season of FX's The Bridge will welcome German actress Franka Potente for a multi-episode arc. Potente's character is described as a ruthless Mennonite, meaning Season 2 will be just as insane as Season 1, I guess. Potente did a short arc on American Horror Story: Asylum but you should know her as the lead in Run Lola Run. [E! Online]

• Comments (22)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • MarlboroMagpi Mar 19, 2014

Two piece of great news !

1) Betsy Brandt In Masters of Sex. Ya !

2) I thought Rogue was dead ! Great it is back ! It is a decent show. It is quite exciting. There are fights, nudity and some mystery. I highly recommend especially those with like Mob show. There is a good twist mid season and season 1 is only 10 episode. Its not Banshee but better than a lot of other stuff.

• fweak Mar 19, 2014

Dead Boss sounds great, David Cross can do no wrong (except maybe Run Ronnie Run, but that wasn't his fault).
    I hope How and Why is a dark comedy.

• ludoTV Mar 19, 2014

Dead Boss sounds like a winner since, who hasn't fantasized, at least once about killing a boss?

I quite liked Franka Potente in the Bourne movie/s too so if I catch up to The Bridge at some point I may see season 2 too... eventually...

• terminaltrip421 Mar 19, 2014

being this is an american audience where probably only half pirate movies and shows and then even fewer watch things with subtitles, we should know franka potente from the bourne identity.

after being john malkovich and adaptation I was less than impressed with synecdoche, new york but anything from charlie kaufman is still a must try and hawkes and cera are just cake. keener did some oscar-bait movie called captain something or other that I could only stomach 10 or so minutes of so she's fallen from my graces.

• MandySCG Mar 19, 2014

I can't believe OWN has canceled Our America With Lisa Ling, that was the best show on that channel. I really like Lisa Ling.

• Whedonrules Mar 19, 2014

Or you might know Franka Potenta from her awesome role on the unjustifiably canceled 'Copper' that ran for 2 seasons on BBC America. She played a big part in the main cast as a madame in Five Points. 'Copper' was a great show whereas 'The Bridge' wants to be but isn't. No other show on television had its leads chasing down John Wilkes Booth!

I'm down with Charlie Kaufman trying tv. That idea is so cool and smells, dare I say it, original.

Macy Gray is back! She's from Cleveland and the rest of the cast is pretty damn impressive for a tv show so I'm excited about 'Empire'.

• ted2332 Mar 19, 2014

Damn, I didn't know Copper was gone. :(

• Whedonrules Mar 19, 2014

I thought it at least had as good a numbers as 'Orphan Black'. Must not have had what the ratings they wanted for Season 2 or the same word of mouth that 'OB' has. Period dramas always get the short shift because they cost more. But damn, they built that Five Points set soooo good and it was nice having an excellent Tom Fontana show still on the air.

it works out that I decided not to mention copper since you covered it here.

• sleepy-sonic Mar 19, 2014

Finally some news about the second season of The Bridge.

• ben45tpy Mar 19, 2014

Can't wait for Betsy on Masters of Sex. We all know what Willy does to his assistants. Martindale had a great time.

• MightyMad Mar 19, 2014

Tim, don't get too excited about Dead Boss.
    I saw the original series... seriously nothing worth making a remake about.

Charlie Kaufman creating a series sounds super-cool, though.

• bballer151 Mar 19, 2014

Betsy Brandt is pretty hot, hopefully see some skin lol

I'm not ashamed to give this post a thumbs up!

• See More Comments (3)