Masters of Sex Is Moving to the Summer to Be Ray Donovan's Bed Buddy

By Tim Surette

Mar 19, 2014

Homeland is not where the heart is for Showtime's Masters of Sex, or as I like to call it (because I'm annoying), Mastahs of Sexxxytimes. The cable channel announced premiere dates for Mastahs of Sexxxytimes and Ray Donovan today, and Sexxxytimes is getting bounced from its cushy spot behind Homeland and moving to the summer. 

Both Ray Donovan and Sex Masters will kick off their second seasons on Sunday, July 13, with Ray Donovan starting the night at 9pm and Sex Masters following at 10pm. This isn't much of a change for Liev Schrieber's Ray Donovan, which premiered last year on June 30. But Sex missing out on a Homeland boost is kind of a bummer for that show. 

So what will be paired with Homeland's fourth season when the thriller returns this fall? Probably The Affair, the cheating husbands-and-wives drama starring McNulty Dominic West, Alice Morgan Ruth Wilson, Pacey/Peter Bishop Joshua Jackson, and Lisa Miller Maura Tierney as a bunch of cheating husbands and wives. Showtime also has the supernatural thriller Penny Dreadful, a mish-mash of literary horror figures, coming in May. 

• Comments (23)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • ben45tpy Mar 20, 2014

Was Dexter's final season terrible because it was pushed forward to the summer or just because the writers all sucked. Let's test the former using Masters of Sex as a control.

• harpier Mar 19, 2014

Alright, so I have more general questions about premium television that relate specifically to this article's observations:

1. How much of a common audience do Homeland and Masters of Sex share? I recognize a lead-in can be very helpful, particularly if shows are courting the same audience, but I (and most people I know) dropped Homeland after Season 2, but have been delighted by Masters of Sex. None of us (and apparently no one else either) has watched Ray Donovan.

2. Since premium channels, including Showtime, have generous OnDemand packages and online streaming all (like the original broadcast) without commercials, how many people care to watch the show in its designated time slot even if they don't have a DVR? Showtime can't actually care when their audience watches it.

3. My understanding was that premium programming tends to do well in the summer when it has less general, as well as time-slot, competition. Now that is has an audience and a reputation, is it likely to suffer at all in the move?

• KevinG87 Mar 19, 2014

this isn't as big of a change as it's made to seem though... it'll just premiere 2 months prior to when it premiered in 2013.

• SamuelMartel Mar 19, 2014

Goddamn it. Why is there so many good shows during the summer? I thought summer was my tv break to work out, work on the house, go outside, bbq... Now there will be even more shows to follow.

It's gonna be another stacked summer!

• EsmeBuffay Mar 19, 2014

If it means Masters of Sex returns sooner (that is what it means, right?) then I'm all for it.

• MarlboroMagpi Mar 19, 2014

I loved Masters of Sex and Lizzy Caplan. This might actually worked in favor of the show as summer sees lesser competition.

• cuculhain Mar 19, 2014

I like that Masters of Sex won't be going up against a show like Walking Dead, it will give more people a chance to see it. I think if it could pull in better numbers it would receive the awards recognition it deserves, instead it gets passed over in the same way Shameless does.

• numberonecubsfa Mar 19, 2014

Kudos to Tim Surette for apparently having seen Luther. Cheers.

• DesolaKazeem Mar 19, 2014

I adore Masters of Sex; it is easily now in my top 3 favourite shows. I don't think the summer airing will actually affect the ratings as negatively as everyone seems to think. I'm just so happy we get it early- we're basically getting two masters of sex seasons in one TV season.

• TrevPlatt Mar 19, 2014

It really doesn't seem fair that Master of Sex, one of the best shows of 2013, gets punished for Showtime's stupid mistake. With Ray Donovan as the lead in are we now gong to predict that Masters & Johnson won't get to fascinate (and perhaps titillate) us with a Season 3?

• Eric10301 Mar 19, 2014

A premium cable channel moving a show to Summer is hardly a punishment. They don't operate on the September-May time table like network TV. By doing so it actually allows their shows to find a bigger audience.

• TrevPlatt Mar 19, 2014

With Ray Donovan as a lead in? That's like saying you can watch this episode of The Wire as long as you watch this episode of the Charlie's Angels remake first!
    Obviously people don't have to watch Ray before tuning in for Masters of Sex but the lead in programme does have an effect on the subsequent programming.

• See More Comments (3)