Soccer! Spies! Alfred Molina! The First Trailer for Matador Has Them All (VIDEO)

By Kaitlin Thomas

Jun 11, 2014

I wasn't in the room when super-producer Roberto Orci (Sleepy Hollow) pitched the idea of a DEA agent being recruited by the CIA to go undercover as a soccer star and gain notoriety in the sport in an effort to get close to corruption (breathe) for El Rey's new series Matador, but I imagine there were drugs involved? Or a case of World Cup fever? Or maybe a head injury? Possibly it was a dare? Perhaps it was one of those things where someone gives you four or five ideas and and the task of putting all of them into one story? Or, wait, maybe this is a Mad Lib brought to life! That seems fun.

But it doesn't really matter how Matador came to exist, because it does and it's headed to the El Rey Network (the same network that brought us From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series), where it will debut on Tuesday, July 15. And now you can watch the official trailer!

Created by Orci, Matador stars Gabriel Luna (NCIS: Los Angeles) as the DEA-agent-turned-soccer star and Alfred Molina (Spiderman 2) as the coach of the fictional L.A. Riot soccer team. Nicky Whelan (Franklin & Bash), Neil Hopkins (True Blood), Tanc Sade (Gilmore Girls), Yvette Monreal (Awkward.), and Elizabeth Peña (Modern Family) round out the cast.

Will you come out to the pitch to watch Matador

• Comments (9)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • falafelfalifulfalafol Jun 15, 2014

LOL. It is a comedy, right?

• MarlboroMagpi Jun 13, 2014

Definitely watching ! Anywhere else in the world its called Football, in US it is soccer. Its that simple.

• sleepy-sonic Jun 12, 2014

Expect another football vs soccer debate.

• dostunuz Jun 12, 2014

It's goddamn Football.

• auraeulogia Jun 11, 2014

Awful! Is the RIOT soccer team in the senior league? He is too old to be "a crack".Also what's next El rey" hero Speedy Gonzalez saves the world?
    Only for ludicrous value.

• mad-pac Jun 11, 2014

I'll be watching it just for the football. Yes, I'm one of those who calls it football.

• bendylegsnick Jun 11, 2014

I call it football too, but because I'm English...

• mad-pac Jun 11, 2014

And that's whre we got the whole idea!

• Marburg66 Jun 11, 2014

I've been waiting on Matador for a long while now. Thanks for the reminder Miss Kaitlin! =D

It seems like a two-bowl-per-episode good time & I'll probably latch onto it like a dog to a visitors leg