Maude

Show Reviews (11)

Great

and then there's Maude

By kevinb4444, Apr 28, 2010

and then there is me throwing up having to listen to Maude and look at her. I'm kidding I liked her on Golden Girls, I was young that was the only reason I watched Golden Girls. She would have fit in with all the liberal characters on TV today, she was ground breaking, in that respect. I don't dislike her that much she was funny when Archie was giving her a hard time. This was just kind of an old lady show to me, so I never watched it that much, but I saw enough to know that it's not for me.moreless

Brassy, sassy, & opinionated - that was Maude!

By cuddles3, Jul 05, 2007

Maude was undoubtedly the first show to feature a liberated woman in the lead role. And quite liberated she was! Even though I didn't always agree with Maude's liberal viewpoint, the program was so well-written that it was an immense pleasure to watch! Maude went through life at such a fast pace - Bea Arthur was the perfect choice to play her, because of her height, her voice, & her wonderfully expressive face! This show broke a lot of ground, & paved the way for present day television - without Maude, we might still be watching Leave It to Beaver!moreless

"Right On, Maude"

By tvqueen1969, Nov 30, 2006

I love this show. I remember watching it occasionally in the the 70's and I liked it. However, it was when I was older, maybe 11 or 12, when I really started to enjoy it. Although I disagree with the political views of Bea Arthur and her Maude Findlay character, I still enjoy the show. This character can have you laughing in one scene and crying in the next. The other actors and actresses are just as wonderful. Bill Macy, Conrad Bain, who went on to play Mr. Drummond on "Diff'rent Strokes", is great as conservative Dr. Harmon. Walter's best friend and the Findlay's next door neighbor. I love watching him and Maude argue. Rue McClanahan as Maude's flighty best friend Vivian who ends up marrying Arthur Harmon, Adrienne Barbieu (sp?) as Carol Traynor, Maude's equally liberal daughter. Esther Rolle and Hermione Baddeley played the show's most memorable housekeepers, Florida Evans and Nell Naugutuck. Both actresses made these characters lovable for me. My favorite was Mrs. Naugutuck. She seemed to be drunk all the time. This is a show that I never get sick of watching, one of Norman Lear's best.moreless

I like Maude. I have been watching it since it first started in 1972. I like Maude Findlay played by Beatrice Arthur because she was one of my favorite characters in the show.

By matthew_trompf, Oct 09, 2006

Maude was one of the most popular shows during the 70s. Not only was it one of the most popular, it was one of the most controversial. The show was real and told it like it is - much like the show that first introduced us to Maude, All in the Family.

For years the main characters have remained in the story. Others came and went sometimes for short periods and sometimes for many episodes. They helped to make the story more exciting.

Some of the main characters were Carol, Maude, Vivian Cavender Harmon, Dr. Arthur Harmon, Bert Beasley, Walter Findlay, Florida Evans and Mrs. Nell Naugatuck.

Each episode is a story on its own but it forms part of the whole story.moreless

Don\'t miss this jewel from the true golden age of television series.

By seetheoceanblue, Jun 15, 2006

I was 7 when this show first came on, and all I remembered was my family loved it and my classmates all tried to sing the theme song for the first year it was on!

When Maude was added to Comcast Cable\'s On Demand lineup, I dutifully recorded the broadcasts to DVD because I do love Bea Arthur (more familiar with her on Golden Girls). Then I missed half a season of Maude over last summer when I didn\'t have on demand - got hte last two episodes before Comcast dropped it! :(

Then I started watching - oh my GOD is it so funny - my ribs hurt from laughing - I have played most all the episodes at least 15 times each - have taken them to family & friends who\'d never seen it before - they watned to watch ALL the episodes at one sitting too!

This show was superb, witty, controversial at times but most issues were handled tastefully and intelligently. The racial badgering was a bit much, but that was the times.

I don\'t know what else to say - but if you like classic 70\'s TV - DO NOT miss this. Let\'s pray it\'s out on DVD soon!!!moreless

A 70's sit com that tackled some tough issues, mainly woman's rights.

By vicmackey31, May 15, 2006

A 70's sit com that tackled some tough issues, mainly woman's rights. Beatrice Arthur starred in the title role as Maude Findlay. She was a woman that was fighting hard to have the same rights and respect as a man. She of course went on to star in the Golden Girls for several years. Bill Macy played her wimpy husband Walter Findlay. Her daughter was played by the very sexy Adrienne Barbeau (Carol). Rue McClanahan also from the Golden Girls played her friend

Vivian Cavender Harmon. Conrad Bain who would later go on to star in the sit com Differnt Strokes played Dr. Arthur Harmon.

moreless

Not my bag

By supastarz, Sep 25, 2005

Maude is not a favorite show of mine. While many praise it for being progressive, to me it was a little TOO progressie. Politics aside, it was just not that funny, and they show seemed to be bent on forcing a point or opinion rather than just concentrating on good comedy, which lent to it's annoying quality and lacking something of a story line.

Show aside, i LOVE the theme song, it's really cute, i listen to it repeatedly.

A great sitcom with a brassy star who told it like it was.

By stillcountry, Sep 11, 2005

The things that were discussed on this show was way ahead of its time for the 1970's. The writers came up with good scripts and real life situations that nobody would talk about on TV or go behind closed doors to talk about, and who better than Bea Arthur to pull it off. She told it like it was a pulled no punches, I met her backsatage a few years ago at one of her one woman shows and she is like that in real life. Of course now days you can say or do practically anything on televison. And who can forget the theme song "And There Was Maude" and dont forget the classic line...."God Will Getcha For That Walter!"moreless

Ahead of its time

By hobermandob, Jul 17, 2005

Although quite ahead of it's time, "Maude" dealt with issues very seriously. Mainly, women's lib, which Maude was a big supporter of. Maude was a woman who was not afraid to speak her mind. The series also dealt with her husband Walter's drinking problem very delicately, and the series lasted 6 successful seasons, and like "The Golden Girls", Bea's other series, the show ended when Bea decided to call it quits.

Load More Reviews